Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, September 10, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-10-2012

Pittsburgh Gazette Times, September 10, 1912:

Arthur L. Raymond, known to thousands of baseball fans as “Bugs” Raymond, erstwhile famous National League pitcher, died as a result of a brutal assault, according to evidence gathered by Coroner Hoffman today. Fred Cigranz was arrested, charged with being responsible for his death.
The former baseball star was found dead in a hotel Saturday night and was [originally] believed to have died of heart failure, superinduced by heat.
[Cigranz] is said to have kicked Raymond repeatedly in the head.

And thus ended one of the most colorful careers in early baseball history.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: September 10, 2012 at 07:41 AM | 22 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: bugs raymond, dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: September 10, 2012 at 07:58 AM (#4231397)
An overflow of Reds first basemen on today's Birthday Team. Sorry, Joey...you're one hell of a hitter, but you're not Big Klu. Yet.

Votto has played 51 career innings in left field, and would almost certainly end up out there if this was a real team.

C: Jack Lapp
1B: Ted Kluszewski
2B: High Pockets Kelly
3B: Sammy Hale
SS: Nick Green
LF: Harry Niles
CF: Dusty Miller
RF: Roger Maris

SP: Randy Johnson
SP: Barney Pelty
SP: Kameron Loe
SP: Preston Hanna
SP: Anthony Swarzak
RP: Danys Baez

Manager: Eddie Sawyer
Bench Bat: Joey Votto
   2. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: September 10, 2012 at 08:04 AM (#4231399)
ran across this blurb in a cardinals blog and thought it was kind of fun:

Luzinski, who had signed a five-year, $1.5-million contract, bought 126 loge box seats for each of 36 Phillies home games and gave all of the tickets to youngsters from organizations such as the Salvation Army and the Big Brothers Association. Each ticket cost $4.50, so Luzinski paid $20,412, with no discount from the Phillies, both The Sporting News and Associated Press reported.

Luzinski also provided autographed pictures of himself to every youngster in “The Bull Ring” and he donated $100 to the organization in that section any night a Phillies home run landed there.

“There are many children who have never had box seats and I want to give some of them a chance to sit there and see how much fun it can be just to go to a baseball game at the Vet,” Luzinski said to The Sporting News.
   3. Random Transaction Generator Posted: September 10, 2012 at 08:22 AM (#4231407)
[Arthur L. Raymond] was found dead in a hotel Saturday night and was [originally] believed to have died of heart failure, superinduced by heat.
[Cigranz] is said to have kicked Raymond repeatedly in the head.

How ugly is Raymond where him getting kicked repeatedly in the head doesn't seem to show any damage when police first investigate, and they assume death by natural causes?
   4. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: September 10, 2012 at 08:56 AM (#4231421)
The funny thing is Raymond was a completely normal-looking guy. He was no Don Mossi or anything.

Maybe Cigranz kicked him in the back and/or top of the head.

And Harvey's, that Luzinski thing is great. I bet those kids (adults now, I guess) will never forget that experience.
   5. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: September 10, 2012 at 09:01 AM (#4231422)
Maybe I'm stealing Dag Nabbit's thunder, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that a Hall of Fame pitcher made his MLB debut 100 years ago today. That'll be tomorrow's newspaper link.

Click here to find out who it is. Or wait until tomorrow. Or whatevs.
   6. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: September 10, 2012 at 09:11 AM (#4231424)
Dan,

Actually you stole only half of my thunder. As it happens not one but TWO Hall of Famers made their debut 100 years today. The other was a shortstop Can you guess who they are? Click here to see the answers. (They're listed in the first paragraph).
   7. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: September 10, 2012 at 09:44 AM (#4231437)
That's quite a nice birthday lineup, especially if you can work Votto in somehow. Three excellent front-line players, and the other guys aren't bad. The pitching isn't quite as good; it'd look better if Pelty's 2.63 ERA had come in just about any other time period, as it was good for only a 100 ERA+ when he actually played. But the first starter is pretty respectable, at least...
   8. bunyon Posted: September 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM (#4231487)
Went to Game 1 of the Carolina League championship series on Saturday night. I was in the loo so I missed the name of the Lynchburg leadoff hitter, who hit the first pitch of the game like a laser over the LF wall. It was their SS and he proceeded to make several nice plays before coming to the plate again when I got to check his name:

Andrelton Simmons.

Can't be, I thought. But, it was the Braves starting SS doing a rehab assignment in the A ball championship. He homered, had another hit and came around to score. Lynchburg won the game 3-1. Winston-Salem got royally hosed this year, I think. They won their division in both halves, going away. That means the team with the second best overall record got the "wild-card" (Myrtle Beach, sub .500 on the year). Winston-Salem had to beat them to advance, which they did. Only to get a 5 game series against Lynchburg, who was 4 games over 500 on the year, and their major league ringer. Oh, and Lynchburg, for some bizarre reason, has home field.

Not that anyone really cares all that much about the Carolina League championship, of course. Winston-Salem won game 2 and goes to Lychburg tied 1-1.
   9. Walt Davis Posted: September 10, 2012 at 05:19 PM (#4231963)
Andrelton spent all of 2011 in the Carolina League, putting up a solid but unspectacular season with just 1 HR.
   10. Tom Nawrocki Posted: September 10, 2012 at 05:50 PM (#4231991)
Barney Pelty was the winner of the first-ever game in Comiskey Park.
   11. Mike Emeigh Posted: September 10, 2012 at 06:27 PM (#4232019)
Oh, and Lynchburg, for some bizarre reason, has home field.

Carolina League alternates divisions by year.

-- MWE
   12. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: September 10, 2012 at 07:03 PM (#4232034)
Hey - Emeigh, bunyon, and other NC folks: anyone interested in a meetup coinciding with the AAA championship game? (Durham, Tue 9/18)
   13. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: September 10, 2012 at 08:05 PM (#4232070)
Game of the day (yesterday) I can't do today, as B-R is missing the Indians-Twins game, which looks to be really, really close to Royals-White Sox. That leaves...

Game of the day (last year): Nationals 4, Astros 3. After a perfect top of the first from Tom Milone, Washington took the early lead in the first on a one-out walk to Rick Ankiel and a subsequent two-run homer by Ryan Zimmerman. Milone and Bud Norris were both spotless in the second, and Houston picked up its first run in the third, as Clint Barmes led off with a double, took third on a groundout, and scored on a sac fly by Norris. The 'Stros tied it in the third when Jose Altuve and Jason Bourgeois singled to start the inning, JD Martinez was hit by a pitch with one out to load the bases, and Chris Johnson's sac fly brough Altuve home.

While Norris cruised through the third and fourth, the Astros threatened again in the fifth on a single by Norris and a double by Jordan Schafer. Altuve popped out, however, and Bourgeois then hit Schafer with a ball in play to end the inning. Houston finally took its first lead in the sixth when Carlos Lee led off with a double and Barmes singled him home with two outs, prompting Milone's removal from the game. Rick Ankiel led off the bottom of the sixth with a single, but was doubled off on Zimmerman's flyout. Craig Stammen worked a flawless seventh, and Norris stayed on for the bottom of the inning. Danny Espinosa walked with one out, then ran around to third on an errant pickoff throw, and scored on Chris Marrero's double to tie the game.

Bourgeois singled and stole second against Henry Rodriguez, then took third on a groundout only to be left there by a strikeout and lineout. Fernando Rodriguez worked a 1-2-3 eighth for Houston, and Barmes reached on a K/WP to start the ninth against Drew Storen, but was removed from the bases on a popped up bunt double play. Enerio Del Rosario didn't allow a baserunner in the ninth, sending the game to extras; Tyler Clippard kept the bases equally clean in the tenth, and Lucas Harrell allowed only a walk in the bottom of the inning. In the eleventh, Clippard worked around a two-out single. Harrell remained in the game as well and fanned Ankiel, but then walked Zimmerman and Mike Morse. Wilton Lopez replaced him, and Jayson Werth greeted him with an infield single; Jimmy Paredes, having entered as a pinch runner in the top of the inning and taken over third base, made a throwing error, allowing Zimmerman to score the winning run.

Nationals bullpen on the day: 5.1 innings, 2 hits, no walks, 7 K's, and no runs. That'll work.
   14. Mike Emeigh Posted: September 10, 2012 at 08:55 PM (#4232098)
Hey - Emeigh, bunyon, and other NC folks: anyone interested in a meetup coinciding with the AAA championship game? (Durham, Tue 9/18)

I am going to be out of the country next week, on a real vacation this time (as opposed to the vacation that wasn't in Minnesota in June).

-- MWE
   15. Mike Emeigh Posted: September 10, 2012 at 09:05 PM (#4232103)
Game of the day (yesterday) I can't do today, as B-R is missing the Indians-Twins game, which looks to be really, really close to Royals-White Sox.

Two bad teams in a hitter's duel vs one of the best pitching duels of the year, with three guys thrown out on the bases from the outfield in key situations, and the game ending with 2 Ks with the tying run on third and the winning run on second? Didn't look to be a difficult decision to me.

-- MWE
   16. bunyon Posted: September 10, 2012 at 09:52 PM (#4232127)
Thanks for the tip about alternating divisions. Still sucks.

Alas, Tuesdays are killers for me. Have fun in Durham and abroad.
   17. Heinie Mantush (Krusty) Posted: September 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM (#4232153)
OT- Pro Wrestling: Jerry "The King" Lawler collapsed live on Monday Night Raw. Lawler suffered a heart attack after working a tag team match with Randy Orton against WWE Champion CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler.

Lawler's recently been reactivated on WWE's (thin) roster, which means he passed the extensive battery of Wellness testing (cardiovascular included) necessary to perform. Lawler is also also 2 months shy of his 63rd birthday. It's ridiculous for the world's top promotion to let Lawler work a match, much less in a physically demanding fashion as he did, even if he is theoretically fit to wrestle.
   18. Good cripple hitter Posted: September 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM (#4232157)
This is awful news and I hope Lawler pulls through it.

The worst part about that is, when I first heard about it, I assumed it was a work because

A) Fake heart attack storylines have happened before in wrestling and
B) Last week Lawler was written off the show via a scripted attack that caused chest pains and difficulty breathing.

It's frightening how often older wrestlers are written out via storyline injuries, only to almost immediately suffer actual injuries. I remember a few years ago Ricky Steamboat was attacked and suffered kayfabe injuries, but a few days later he was actually hospitalized and they dropped the storyline.

19. Heinie Mantush (Krusty) Posted: September 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM (#4232183)
I thought it was a work at first, too, for just the same reasons. This gets at one of my biggest problems with WWE: crowd signaling. Michael Cole (understandably) used his "Owen voice" tonight. That's expected in this situation and it works. However, the booth has "owen voiced" before for kayfabe purposes and that's just not right. I thought this was just an extension of last week's storyline. It wasn't.

On the upside, Punk and Cena cut monster promos, though I think Cena was a tad harsh. Sheamus working the crowd. These guys have some seriously stiff upper lips, and I'm sure Lawler would have wanted the show to go on. But there really has to be some thought given to fan signaling, and that's why Owen voices should be saved. There shouldn't have been a second of doubt in any fan's mind.
   20. Monty Posted: September 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM (#4232192)
Wow, Lawler's only 62?
   21. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: September 11, 2012 at 04:57 PM (#4232983)
Two bad teams in a hitter's duel vs one of the best pitching duels of the year, with three guys thrown out on the bases from the outfield in key situations, and the game ending with 2 Ks with the tying run on third and the winning run on second? Didn't look to be a difficult decision to me.

It's certainly close enough to be within range of subjective judgment, and plays like runners getting thrown out on the bases aren't necessarily handled well by my system and should probably get a bit of a bump upward in some cases. But the system picked Twins 8, Indians 7 by the slimmest of margins - the two games were #85 and #86 on the year so far. And I can understand its choice - just looking at the linescore, it went from 4-0 to 5-4 to 6-5 to 7-6 to 7-7 to 8-7, with a walkoff homer accounting for the last run.
   22. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: September 11, 2012 at 05:00 PM (#4232986)
Wow, Lawler's only 62?

That was a surprise. I assumed he was way over the hill when that Andy Kaufman nonsense happened, and that was 30 years ago.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
A triple short of the cycle
for his generous support.