Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-12-2018

New York Sun, September 12, 1918:

It is over! The last signal has been given, the last strike called, the last ball thrown in professional combat until Uncle Sam slams an iron pill against the Kaiser’s rib for the greatest putout in the history of the world. The Boston Americans wound up the world’s series and league competition for the rest of the war as well [yesterday] afternoon at Fenway Park when they defeated the Chicago Nationals by 2 to 1.
And upon Max Flack—poor unfortunate Flack—is heaped the blame for the loss of the game. Flack came in swiftly to catch that vicious drive of Whiteman’s. The ball struck his hands fairly, but it bounded out and away. However, if Mann, in the fourth inning, had not relapsed into semi-consciousness and been caught off first by Schang’s quick throw, he would have moved to second when Paskert walked, and two runs instead of one would have resulted from Merkle’s single.

And if the cow had ever seen a cactus plant before she would have been satisfied to keep on chewing her old cud and would have been spared the humiliation of having the farmer’s family sit on her neck while the hired man yanked the barbs out of the roof of her mouth with a claw hammer. Baseball is baseball!

I had to read that final paragraph about three times before I understood what the heck was going on.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 10:01 AM | 27 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 10:03 AM (#5742818)
A good Birthday Team today made even better by Freddie Freeman's willingness to play third base. That sends Sean Burroughs to the bench and allows Luderus to get into the lineup.

C: Andy Seminick (22.42 WAR)
1B: Fred Luderus (19.78 WAR)
2B: Luis Castillo (29.08 WAR)
3B: Freddie Freeman (32.5 WAR)
SS: Maicer Izturis (11.29 WAR)
LF: Charlie Keller (43.06 WAR)
CF: Pat Listach (4.36 WAR)
RF: Albie Pearson (13.29 WAR)

SP: Mickey Lolich (48.29 WAR)
SP: Spud Chandler (24.45 WAR)
SP: Russ Christopher (10.95 WAR)
SP: Bob Groom (10.91 WAR)
SP: Bubba Church (7.7 WAR)
RP: Mark Thurmond (4.48 WAR)

Manager/Not Swaggy P: Nick Young
Backup C: Stan Lopata (16.24 WAR)
Broadcaster: Thom Brennaman
Fun names: Hilly Hathaway, Pepper Peploski, Trench Davis, Scotti Madison, Franquelis Osoria, Patsy McGaffigan
   2. Tom Nawrocki Posted: September 12, 2018 at 10:22 AM (#5742826)
Seminick and Lopata, who were extremely similar players, formed the catching corps for the 1950 Whiz Kid Phillies. Seminick was exactly five years older than his backup.
   3. PreservedFish Posted: September 12, 2018 at 10:30 AM (#5742836)
Sean Burroughs' failure was always a puzzle to me, until it was revealed that he had significant substance abuse problems.
   4. BDC Posted: September 12, 2018 at 10:32 AM (#5742837)
Today's box-score line is 4 4 4 4. One would think this would be a record held by some great hero. Hank Aaron ought to have done it four times, maybe.

Nothing doing. Twenty-nine major-league batters have done it once apiece (since 1908, regular season). It has never been done in the postseason.

I had heard of all 29 players to record a 4444 line. This may actually be significant, because there are vast gaps in my knowledge, particularly as we get closer to the present. The least familiar to me was Danny Valencia, which is stupid because I see Danny Valencia all the time. But he is always with a new team, so I must figure it's always a new guy :) The "worst" hitters to go 4444 are probably the last one to do it (Brennan Boesch in 2011), and clutch-HR god Dan Johnson (in 2007).

Nine HOFers had a 4444 game (Speaker, Bottomley, Gehrig, Greenberg, Slaughter, DiMaggio, Santo, Yastrzemski, Griffey – but not Hank Aaron). Four guys did it with a 3-HR game (Gehrig, DiMaggio, Yaz, and George Hendrick). Only two of the 29 did it without benefit of a HR (Speaker, and Carney Lansford).

The oddest 4444 game was probably Lyman Bostock's in 1976, the day he hit for the cycle. Bostock: walked and scored (0100), hit a 2-run triple and did not score (1112), hit a solo HR (2223), hit a SF (2224), hit a leadoff double and scored (3334), and hit a leadoff single and scored (4444).

The lowest WPA in a 4444 game was by Greenberg (.147) in 1935. The Tigers beat the Browns 16-1. Hank, you could have stayed home that day.

The greatest WPA was Hendrick's (.725), in 1973. Hendrick's Indians beat Detroit 8-7. Hendrick drove in the first run of the game with a solo HR. The Tigers answered with three runs and Hendrick pulled Cleveland back with another solo HR. The Tigers added another four and George added another solo to make it Detroit 7, Hendrick 3. In the eighth inning, Hendrick drew a walk and scored on Johnny Ellis' home run that tied the game at 7. In the ninth, Hendrick won the game with a walkoff single.
   5. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5742848)
Charlie Keller (43.06 WAR)

man, he was a good player for a very short period--he put up most of that WAR in only 6 full seasons
   6. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 11:08 AM (#5742856)
man, he was a good player for a very short period--he put up most of that WAR in only 6 full seasons

Yup. King Kong Keller was a HoF talent who lost prime years to WW2 and then got hurt. Bad back IIRC.

He put up 6.6 WAR and 4.1 WAA per 650 PA. For comparison his OF mate Joe DiMaggio put up 7.1 WAR and 4.6 WAA per 650 PA.

Half a win worse than DiMaggio is pretty freakin awesome.
   7. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: September 12, 2018 at 11:25 AM (#5742863)
I just read about Charlie Keller because he is maybe the only notable player from near here and buried near here (surprisingly, I thought this would have been a baseball hotbed in the early days).
   8. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5742868)
I just read about Charlie Keller because he is maybe the only notable player from near here and buried near here

I know Babe Ruth and Billy Martin are buried in the same cemetery as my grand parents. Dan Brouthers is buried in the cemetery at my brother-in-law's parish.
   9. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 11:35 AM (#5742874)

TWO HANDS, DAMMIT!
   10. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: September 12, 2018 at 11:35 AM (#5742875)
Update: Charlie Keller is the only notable PLAYER, but we have notable names Carlton Molesworth, Dorsey Riddlemoser, and Boots Poffenberger.
   11. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 11:38 AM (#5742879)
I know Babe Ruth and Billy Martin are buried in the same cemetery as my grand parents.

Gate of Heaven. Valhalla, NY.
   12. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 12:31 PM (#5742930)
Gate of Heaven. Valhalla, NY.

Correct. That's where I'm going too, when the time comes :-)
   13. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 12:31 PM (#5742931)
Double
   14. PreservedFish Posted: September 12, 2018 at 12:41 PM (#5742938)
I just walked through "Manhattan's only active mausoleum." Not sure if there were any baseball players in there.
   15. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 12:53 PM (#5742944)
I just walked through "Manhattan's only active mausoleum." Not sure if there were any baseball players in there.

PF, you're in NYC? Check the FPBL Slack for a message.
   16. BDC Posted: September 12, 2018 at 01:07 PM (#5742953)
Manhattan's only active mausoleum

I think that Trinity uptown is the only active cemetery – do they also have a mausoleum, or are you somewhere else?

And I think I mentioned once that the Preserved Fish is buried downtown in Marble Cemetery, so that has to be a stop on this macabre tour :)
   17. PreservedFish Posted: September 12, 2018 at 01:13 PM (#5742958)
Yep, it was Trinity uptown - beautiful place to walk around, quiet and empty, and I like the wacky crypts of 19th century zillionaires. I thought about the Preserved Fish grave but haven't yet made my pilgrimage. As documented on the Culture thread, my next stop was for chicharrones in Washington Heights, and I swung by Coogan's Bluff, to pretend I was looking down at the Polo Grounds, and not some ghastly housing development.
   18. BDC Posted: September 12, 2018 at 01:38 PM (#5742981)
That's great, Fish. That area of upper Manhattan has some terrific walks. I guess you saw Audubon's grave, and Ed Koch's – a kind of odd place for Ed Koch to be buried, perhaps, but he will be among the first families of Manhattan forever now …
   19. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5743058)
I’m x-posting cuz I thought you guys might get a kick of this:

In Clayton Kershaw’s rookie year of 2008 he had an ERA of 4.26. In 2009 he had an ERA of 2.79, which lowered his career ERA to 3.36. Then in 2010 he put up a 2.91, which dropped his career ERA to 3.17. Etc etc etc—literally every season of his career has seen him lower his career ERA (to continue: 2011 dropped it to 2.88, 2012 to 2.79, 2013 to 2.60, 2014 to 2.48, 2015 to 2.43, 2016 to 2.37, and last year his 2.31 ERA dropped his career ERA down ever so slightly, to 2.36.)

Ok. So he entered 2018 with a career ERA of 2.36. But what’s his career ERA right NOW? It’s......2.37!!! Yes, his 2018 ERA of 2.42 has increased his career ERA.

He has like 4 more starts to reverse the trend and thereby continue one of the most impressive streaks in history. Will he do it? STAY TUNED!!!
   20. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: September 12, 2018 at 03:51 PM (#5743081)
I'm always interested in the highly touted international prospects who sign for a lot of money - who then have that revoked on the grounds of failing a physical or whatnot - who then sign for a bunch less with someone else. The guy in 2017 who stands out in this regard is Jelfry Marte (not the journeyman infielder, Google), who initially signed with Minnesota for ~$3m - then had to settle for high 6-figs with Tampa after failing a vision test*. He's a lithe guy with solid bat control thought to have potential to become a plus defender in time. He began the year in the GCL, which reflects his relatively advanced state for a 17 year old.

Why mention him? Well, I like talking about more obscure guys. Also, his splits are interesting.

June - 7 games, 6 errors, .143 average
July - 19 games, 10 errors, .292 average
August - 17 games, 1 error, .333 average

The sample sizes are small and he also showed no secondary offensive skills. But, the Rays may have found yet another interesting middle infielder...

* You know who else had their contract revoked after failing such a test? Wagner Mateo! You don't remember him? There's a reason - after he signed with Arizona (instead of St. Louis) he was bad at the plate and in the field (loads of errors), moving from center to first to the mound (where he couldn't throw strikes). Maybe the vision concerns were legit? Otoh, Julio Urias got less than he otherwise might have because of vision worries as well and that has not been the health problem that has held him back in recent years.
   21. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:00 PM (#5743086)
A good Birthday Team today made even better by Freddie Freeman's willingness to play third base. That sends Sean Burroughs to the bench and allows Luderus to get into the lineup.

You better put Phillies great Fred Luderus in the lineup! He's the most underrated player of 1915.

Though acknowledging that Fred Luderus "is not a Stuffy McInnis on defense, nor a Jake Daubert in batting, nor a Fred Merkle on the baselines," J. C. Kofoed in the July 1915 issue of Baseball Magazine called the Phillies first baseman "the most under-rated man in baseball today." A pure fastball hitter who feasted on pitches between his waist and shoulders, Luderus reached double digits in home runs each season from 1911 to 1914. Only a fair fielder (he led National League first basemen in errors four times) and never a streak of lightning on his feet (his nine stolen bases in 1915 were a career high), the modest Ludy became known for his dependability after his home-run hitting dropped off. From 1916 to 1919 he played in 533 consecutive games, considered "the greatest streak of continuous play by a modern major leaguer."
   22. bobm Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:23 PM (#5743103)
Joel Sherman in today's NY Post

[...] This time around, with the Mets seeking Alderson’s successor, my Coppola-esque word is “backbone.”

The Mets need a baseball operations head who will stand up to the worst instincts, habits and comfort zones of ownership, someone who through force of intellect, global understanding of the game and sturdiness of spine will force this organization into modernity and into maximizing a New York franchise with a large, passionate fan base, a beautiful, still relatively new stadium, and its own TV network. [...]

My endorsement is Chris Marinak. [...]

Marinak was hired 10 years ago at MLB, steadily rising to become executive VP of strategy, technology and innovation. That title does not do him justice. There is not an important issue — pace of play, technology, scheduling, injury prevention, labor, team relations, etc. — that Marinak does not have a large voice in. Those who work with him describe intelligence, work ethic and — here is my important item — a willingness to take a stand on what he believes with conviction and with the ability to support his positions well. Teams have tried to hire him — the Twins, for example — with no success. You could understand why he has demurred in the past. Marinak turned 38 this week. He has been building his influence at central baseball, and if you were making a short list of who might be the next commissioner, Marinak would rank high. [...]
   23. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 12, 2018 at 04:27 PM (#5743109)
There is not an important issue — pace of play, technology, scheduling, injury prevention, labor, team relations, etc. — that Marinak does not have a large voice in. Those who work with him describe intelligence, work ethic and — here is my important item — a willingness to take a stand on what he believes with conviction and with the ability to support his positions well.
Sounds like an impressive guy. Why the hell isn't he out there standing up to the worst instincts, habits and comfort zones of the players and managers on pace of play?
   24. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:04 PM (#5743125)
Because he wants to be commissioner.
   25. Sweatpants Posted: September 12, 2018 at 05:05 PM (#5743126)

TWO HANDS, DAMMIT!
It probably helps that I'm not a Mets fan, but Castillo was one of my favorite players in the game among guys not on my team. One of the last slap hitters who was actually a productive offensive player. He and fellow Marlin slap hitter Mike Redmond used to beat the hell out of Tom Glavine. Couldn't hit Maddux at all, though.

His total of 28 career home runs was largely a result of the fact that he had no power at all from the left side of the plate. He wasn't a power hitter from the right side, obviously, but as a lefty he managed two home runs in 5442 PA.
   26. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 12, 2018 at 06:24 PM (#5743164)
RF: Albie Pearson (13.29 WAR)

SP: Mickey Lolich (48.29 WAR)

A slight difference in body type there? ;-)
   27. AndrewJ Posted: September 12, 2018 at 07:33 PM (#5743196)
You better put Phillies great Fred Luderus in the lineup! He's the most underrated player of 1915.

Fred had the Phillies' only World Series home run until 1980.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.