Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-12-2019

Washington Times, September 12, 1919:

If Ban Johnson, American League president, has any sense whatsoever of the fitness—or the unfitness—of things he’ll quit his job, was the opinion expressed today by Col. Jacob Ruppert, part owner of the New York Yankees.

Johnson’s throne is about to topple, anyway, according to Ruppert, and abdication now would be a timely act.

The legal action started by the Yankee owners to prevent Ban from interfering with Pitcher Carl Mays ended yesterday with a hearing before Referee George Gillespie. The testimony is now in the hands of Supreme Court Justice Wagner. The final hearing brought a statement from Johnson that he had owned stock in the Boston team, as well as in the Cleveland club.

Jeez, Col. Ruppert. Tell us how you really feel.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 12, 2019 at 10:20 AM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 12, 2019 at 10:21 AM (#5878617)
If you like catchers from the Whiz Kid Phillies, today's Birthday Team is for you. Just don't listen to the broadcasts.

C: Andy Seminick (23.0 WAR)
1B: Fred Luderus (19.8 WAR)
2B: Luis Castillo (29.1 WAR)
3B: Freddie Freeman (37.5 WAR)
SS: Maicer Izturis (11.3 WAR)
LF: Charlie Keller (43.1 WAR)
CF: Pat Listach (4.4 WAR)
RF: Albie Pearson (13.3 WAR)

SP: Mickey Lolich (48.0 WAR)
SP: Spud Chandler (24.1 WAR)
SP: Walter Ball (Negro Leagues pitcher)
SP: Russ Christopher (11.0 WAR)
SP: Bob Groom (11.0 WAR)
RP: Bubba Church (7.7 WAR)

Manager/Not Swaggy P: Nick Young
Backup C: Stan Lopata (15.5 WAR)
Broadcaster: Thom Brennaman (negative Insight Above Replacement Broadcaster, positive Insight Above Replacement Brennaman)
Fun names: Hilly Hathaway, Pepper Peploski, Tyler Danish, Trench Davis, Scotti Madison, Ole Olsen, Franquelis Osoria, Patsy McGaffigan
Not that one: Bill Cristall
   2. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 12, 2019 at 10:54 AM (#5878625)
This is a sneaky good team. No HoFers, but two HoVg guys, another very likely HoVg guy (Freeman) and no real weakness.

Charlie Keller was an absolute beast. 4000 PA of 157 OPS+ (with time missed to the war) before he hurt his back.
   3. Itchy Row Posted: September 12, 2019 at 11:01 AM (#5878628)
Fun names: Tyler Danish,
I was at his first major league win, the first of his two career wins. Danish allowed four baserunners in the first inning and a total of nine over five innings and didn't allow any runs. It was his only MLB appearance that year, so he was 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA in the majors and he went 4-14 with a 5.47 ERA and 6.96 RA in Triple A. He struggled in the minor leagues and independent ball this year, so he might be done.
   4. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 12, 2019 at 11:18 AM (#5878630)
2B: Luis Castillo (29.1 WAR)

TWO HANDS, DAMMIT!
   5. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 12, 2019 at 01:01 PM (#5878671)
This is a sneaky good team. No HoFers, but two HoVg guys, another very likely HoVg guy (Freeman) and no real weakness.
And Spud Chandler was an absolute beast when he was healthy. Yes, WWII makes Spud's 1943 look better than it really was, but we're still talking about a guy who's tied with Greg Maddux in ERA+ and ahead of Dean, Koufax, Hubbell, Gibson, and Seaver.

Even if you dial back his 1943 stats to compensate for wartime, that's a solid HoVg guy if he's able to stay healthy.

He wasn't able to stay healthy.
   6. Eric L Posted: September 12, 2019 at 01:02 PM (#5878672)
5. I see HOVG in two broad categories: Ones who got everything out of their careers, and those who could have been HOFer's if thing went differently. Keller was a no doubt coulda been HOFer. Lolich is the epitome of HOVG.
   7. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 12, 2019 at 01:04 PM (#5878675)
5. I see HOVG in two broad categories: Ones who got everything out of their careers, and those who could have been HOFer's if thing went differently. Keller was a no doubt coulda been HOFer. Lolich is the epitome of HOVG.

It's similar to the HoF. You've got your compilers and your peak guys.

A guy like Keller who put up so much value in a short career, is like inner circle HoVg.
   8. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 12, 2019 at 01:10 PM (#5878677)
He struggled in the minor leagues and independent ball this year, so he might be done.
I just looked at his 2019 numbers. I've never seen anything like what he did in AAA: 15.2 innings, 44 hits, 41 runs, 37 earned, 9 homers, 9 walks, 10 strikeouts. That's 25.3 hits per nine, 5.2 homers per nine, and 5.2 walks per nine. The kid's arm has to be injured, right? I feel like you could take a decent college pitcher, a fringe prospect who might never throw a professional pitch, and he'd be able to put up an ERA lower than 23 over four starts in Triple-A.

(As it turns out, after a rough 2017 season he was in a traffic accident that easily could have been fatal, dislocated his non-pitching shoulder, *and* made mechanical adjustments. Yikes.)

edit to add: The thing that I find weird about Danish's 2019 stats is that it's not like he couldn't throw strikes. His walk rate was higher than you'd like it to be, but it wasn't like a Daniel Bard or Rick Ankiel situation where it was a minor miracle that the guy was able to throw enough strikes that someone hit the ball. Danish was putting the ball over the plate and getting Charlie Browned out there.
   9. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 12, 2019 at 01:17 PM (#5878680)
I just looked at his 2019 numbers. I've never seen anything like what he did in AAA: 15.2 innings, 44 hits, 41 runs, 37 earned, 9 homers, 9 walks, 10 strikeouts. That's 25.3 hits per nine, 5.2 homers per nine, and 5.2 walks per nine. The kid's arm has to be injured, right? I feel like you could take a decent college pitcher, a fringe prospect who might never throw a professional pitch, and he'd be able to put up an ERA lower than 23 over four starts in Triple-A.

Never mid a decent college pitcher. Those are number a decent college OF could put up.
   10. Itchy Row Posted: September 12, 2019 at 01:56 PM (#5878690)
In 1912, you could get those numbers from a violinist you found on a street corner. And the violinist faced Hall of Famers.
   11. Ziggy is done with Dominican discotheques Posted: September 12, 2019 at 02:43 PM (#5878706)
Danny Hultzen, 2011 first round draftee, who missed literally all of both 2014 and 2017, and effectively all of 2014-2018, now has a major league K/9 rate of 27. If he can keep this up, I think he'd make the hall of fame, despite the late start.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
for his generous support.