Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-20-2017

Fulton County [Pennsylvania] News, September 20, 1917:

John Ganzel, manager of the Kansas City Blues, recently pulled a new stunt in the art of handling pitchers…Ganzel used two pitchers, interchangeably, between right field and the hurling hill. With two out and none on base Pierce, a southpaw, replaced Sanders against Indianapolis. He retired Wickland, a left-handed batter, and then went to right field to permit McQuillan, a right hander who had been playing the old soldiers’ garden, to pitch to Bronkie, who hits right-handed.

This is the earliest example of this tactic that I’ve seen, though I admit I haven’t spent a bunch of time on it. It’s interesting to me that managers as early as 1917 saw the platoon advantage as this important.

Also, “the old soldiers’ garden” meaning right field is a cool phrase and I’d love to know the etymology of it.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 20, 2017 at 10:26 AM | 14 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: September 20, 2017 at 10:29 AM (#5534966)
Not a stellar Birthday Team today, but it's probably not as bad as I first thought as I built the roster. They've got a bunch of guys like Bay, Tresh, and Bonura who were good but not great.

C: Tony DePhillips (-0.25 WAR)
1B: Zeke Bonura (23.35 WAR)
2B: Larry Schlafly (2.78 WAR)
3B/Manager: Chuck Dressen (8.53 WAR)
SS: Ian Desmond (17.2 WAR)
LF: Tom Tresh (21.98 WAR)
CF: Jason Bay (24.34 WAR)
RF: Dave Gallagher (4.98 WAR)

SP: Henry Boyle (22.96 WAR)
SP: Vic Lombardi (11.53 WAR)
SP: Dennis Ribant (3.89 WAR)
SP: Roric Harrison (3.09 WAR)
SP: George Pechiney (-0.47 WAR)
RP: A.J. Ramos (6.7 WAR)
RP: Ken Giles (5.6 WAR)

Fun names: Mickey Klutts, Red Bowser
   2. mathesond Posted: September 20, 2017 at 10:44 AM (#5534979)
Ha, when I saw the catcher's name I thought of Tony Phillips, and thought to myself, I knew he played all over the diamond, but he's today's catcher? Then I saw his career WAR and double-checked the name.
   3. BDC Posted: September 20, 2017 at 10:57 AM (#5534984)
Wow, Ian Desmond is having a terrible season. He's batting .275 (in 331 PAs) but with only five HR and eleven 2B, and in today's game that's like not being able to hit it out of the infield would have been, 40-50 years ago.
   4. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM (#5534991)
Ha, when I saw the catcher's name I thought of Tony Phillips, and thought to myself, I knew he played all over the diamond, but he's today's catcher? Then I saw his career WAR and double-checked the name.

Different guy. Like Billy Williams was a Hall-of-Famer and Billy DeWilliams was Lando Calrissian.
   5. Batman Posted: September 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM (#5534992)
And Desmond is doing all that while playing for Colorado.
   6. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 20, 2017 at 11:03 AM (#5534994)
Billy DeWilliams was Lando Calrissian.

He was HOFer Gale Sayers.
   7. RJ in TO Posted: September 20, 2017 at 11:12 AM (#5535002)
Wow, Ian Desmond is having a terrible season. He's batting .275 (in 331 PAs) but with only five HR and eleven 2B, and in today's game that's like not being able to hit it out of the infield would have been, 40-50 years ago.
And he's signed through 2021 (with a team option for 2022) at $14 million a year, while playing out of position.
   8. Bote Man Posted: September 20, 2017 at 11:26 AM (#5535014)
Wow, Ian Desmond is having a terrible season.

Gee! Who could have possibly predicted THAT?! I saw him flail with mighty swings at sliders down and away enough (too many) times that I was wondering if anybody would even sign him after his time with the Nats expired. Even when a mere bloop dunked into the shallow outfield might win a game, there he was swinging for France...and missing. High K, low BB rate, I don't even have to look at his stats.
   9. stanmvp48 Posted: September 20, 2017 at 11:28 AM (#5535016)
Fortunately, they brought Mark Reynolds back on a minimal contract. Not great, his usual high K total but 29 HRs
   10. Bote Man Posted: September 20, 2017 at 11:33 AM (#5535027)
This is new to me, although it's probably old news to many of you who regularly inhabit this thread and have a greater depth of baseball history. It's from a recent post on the PRRDelMarVa Yahoogroup, so the message is about the railroading incident, but it has some interesting tidbits about the involvement of the Red Sox.

Ran across an article today when reading the Autumn 2011 issue of Keystone magazine concerning a 1933 passenger train wreck in Wyoming, DE. It was carrying the Red Sox from Norfolk to Newark where they were to play a spring training game against the Newark Bears. According to the article the line was double tracked and carried 16 passenger trains a day through Wyoming as well as 30 to 40 freight trains. As I am sure everyone subscribed to the group knows the line in Delaware was part of a direct link from New York City to Norfolk via car ferries from Cape Charles across the Chesapeake Bay to Norfolk. A summary appeared in the Pocomoke Public Eye when the issue of Keystone came out in 2011. I have included that brief summary below.

Thanks to former Pocomoke resident M.W. of Columbia, Md. for contributing the following item this week:

The newest issue of the Keystone - the magazine of the Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society - has an interesting article about another Eastern Shore train wreck. At about 3:15 in the morning on April 2, 1933, the northbound Cavalier passenger express derailed in Wyoming, Delaware - just south of Dover - killing the engineer and fireman, injuring numerous passengers, and destroying much of the Wyoming Ice and Cold Storage Plant.

What makes the story interesting is that the Boston Red Sox baseball team occupied the back 3 Pullman cars of the train. They had played a spring training exhibition game in Norfolk, and were on their way north to Newark for another exhibition game. So they had boarded the train in Norfolk, which was then floated across the train car ferry to Cape Charles, and then north through Delmarva a with brief layover in Delmar where the train changed crews. The article gives lots of details about the investigation and determination of cause of crash, etc. The Red Sox team players were not injured, but got off the train to help other passengers and received a lot of praise. The team trainer provided first aid until police and ambulance crews arrived. Just another interesting bit of Shore history.

- Al Guckes
   11. Rennie's Tenet Posted: September 20, 2017 at 12:19 PM (#5535067)
Tresh is just on the fringe of my memory, but I think the team might be better if he and Bay were switched.

Tresh moved back to short in 1968, after five years in the outfield. One of the things about baseball I'd love to know is if that influenced the Tigers' decision to use Mickey Stanley at short in the Series.

12. PreservedFish Posted: September 20, 2017 at 12:24 PM (#5535070)
And he's signed through 2021 (with a team option for 2022) at $14 million a year, while playing out of position.

I don't think he has a position anymore.
   13. BDC Posted: September 20, 2017 at 01:43 PM (#5535146)
Gee! Who could have possibly predicted THAT?!

True, there was no way Desmond would be worth his contract, but he was coming off a decent season for Texas, and if nothing else, had established that he could hit 20 home runs a year with great monotony. This year, as Batman notes, he's slugging .327 in Coors Field =:-O
   14. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: September 20, 2017 at 01:56 PM (#5535164)
Tresh moved back to short in 1968, after five years in the outfield. One of the things about baseball I'd love to know is if that influenced the Tigers' decision to use Mickey Stanley at short in the Series.

I think it was Ray Oyler's 20 OPS+. They had 4 good outfielders and no SS.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis
for his generous support.