Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, September 03, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-3-2012

Milwaukee Journal, September 3, 1912:

Without a doubt “Rube” Foster is the greatest ebony skinned ball player in the game.

The “Black Mathewson” just about hits the nail head. Not that “Big Six” and “Rube” are constructed on the same physical lines; far from it. “Matty” is an athlete, while Foster bears a resemblance to a barrel. He is the heaviest human that ever played ball for money, with the possible exception of Capt. Anson.

If some Westinghouse Edison-Macaroni would “shake a laig” and invent something to change the complexion of Mistah Foster’s underwear, we would see him in the majors.

Or, y’know, the majors could quit with their racist bull****.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: September 03, 2012 at 10:23 AM | 20 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, negro leagues, rube foster

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: September 03, 2012 at 10:28 AM (#4225448)
Today's Birthday Team.

George Stone is not really a center fielder but had good speed and could probably have faked it. His arm was just awful, but otherwise he had the physical tools to handle center.

The other option is to play Stone in LF, move Gonzo to RF, bench Clark, and play Ced Landrum in CF. Yuck.

Anyway, Stone is one of my favorite obscure ballplayers. He was a little guy, hit everywhere he ever played but never got a real shot at a MLB job until he hit .406 with 62 extra-base hits in 1904 as a 27-year-old in the American Association. That's 62 extra-base hits in the dead ball era.

The Browns gave him their every day left field job in 1905 and, as a 28-year-old rookie, Stone led the American League in hits and total bases. The next season, he led the AL in batting average, on-base, slugging, and total bases. Stone was out of baseball by 1912, the victim of malaria, an ankle injury, and a late start to his major league career.

C: Harry Decker
1B: Ed Konetchy
2B/Manager: Eddie Stanky
3B: Dave Berg
SS: Alan Bannister
LF: Luis Gonzalez
CF: George Stone
RF: Dave Clark

SP: Art Fromme
SP: Tom Brewer
SP: Nate Robertson
SP: Sandy Consuegra
SP: Morrie Martin
RP: Eric Plunk

Utilityman: Rene Gonzales
   2. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: September 03, 2012 at 10:30 AM (#4225452)
By the way, I should probably mention that owing to a career change I've undergone, future Dugouts will be posted around 8AM ET instead of the previous ~5AM. This will likely affect virtually nobody, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
   3. Chris Fluit Posted: September 03, 2012 at 11:11 AM (#4225462)
Stone is one of my favorite obscure players too. He should be remembered as one of the great overlooked Minor Leaguers who didn't get the chance he deserved, along with Gavvy Cravath and Lefty O'Doul, but he always seems to be left out.
   4. Mike Emeigh Posted: September 03, 2012 at 12:19 PM (#4225499)
Stone is one of my favorite obscure players too. He should be remembered as one of the great overlooked Minor Leaguers who didn't get the chance he deserved, along with Gavvy Cravath and Lefty O'Doul, but he always seems to be left out.

In many ballparks of the early 20th century teams needed someone with center field ability to patrol left field. There was literally no place to hide a weak-armed outfielder.

-- MWE
   5. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 03, 2012 at 02:33 PM (#4225573)
Dan, I hope that the new time reflects a positive career step. Without knowing any other facts, 8 AM >>> 5 AM. :)
   6. Tom Nawrocki Posted: September 03, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4225581)
I hope that means you've found something, Dan, and not that you'll be posting it from your basement after sending the kids to school.

Out of pure coincidence, I have been in the left field bleachers at Coors Field twice this season when Carlos Quentin has been patrolling left field for the Padres. And after every play, Quentin looks up at the scoreboard in center field to watch the replay. Every single time. It's especially funny when he does it after a double into left field, and I imagine him watching himself on the scoreboard thinking, "Wow, I really screwed that one up."
   7. God Posted: September 03, 2012 at 03:09 PM (#4225593)
He's not just making sure how many outs there are?
   8. puck Posted: September 03, 2012 at 03:27 PM (#4225606)
Kris Medlen gave up a run (unearned) in the 7th inning. There was one out.
   9. Tom Nawrocki Posted: September 03, 2012 at 03:46 PM (#4225615)
He's not just making sure how many outs there are?

I suppose it's possible, but (a) he does it every play, which would indicate that his memory is just terrible, (b) there are other scoreboards around the stadium, including one right in his line of vision along the first-base line, that indicate the number of outs, and (c) he always stares up at the board for ten or fifteen seconds, until the replay is done. Maybe he just hasn't learned where on the scoreboard the outs indicator is.
   10. starving to death with a full STEAGLES Posted: September 03, 2012 at 04:25 PM (#4225632)
If some Westinghouse Edison-Macaroni would “shake a laig” and invent something to change the complexion of Mistah Foster’s underwear, we would see him in the majors.
along these lines, i was in wal-mart last night and discovered two things:

1, next to the shampoo, there was a section of shelves marked "ethnic hair care"

and 2, on those shelves, there was a variety of skin bleaching creams.

that seemed very odd to me.
   11. Walt Davis Posted: September 03, 2012 at 05:37 PM (#4225686)
Plus underwear comes in all sorts of colors these days!

"change the complexion of his underwear" is one of the oddest phrases I've ever heard.
   12. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: September 03, 2012 at 06:10 PM (#4225713)
Game of the day (yesterday): Rockies 11, Padres 10. Chase Headley started the scoring with a two-run homer against Colorado's Jeff Francis in the top of the first. Casey Kelly then held the 2-0 lead for two innings.

It was the calm before the storm.

Headley extended San Diego's lead in the third, driving in Logan Forsythe after the latter was hit by a pitch and stole second. But the Rockies unleashed an avalanche in the bottom of the inning. Jonathan Herrera walked, and Francis bunted him to second. Dexter Fowler singled in one run. Josh Rutledge hit into a force for the second out. Carlos Gonzalez then hit a ground-rule double, Jordan Pacheco followed with a standard two-bagger that scored two more runs and tied the game, and Tyler Colvin then cranked a go-ahead two-run homer. Chris Nelson reached on an error, and Ramon Hernandez capped the scoring with a two-run homer of his own. For those of you not scoring at home (since the rest of you already totalled it up), that's seven runs. And yes, Casey Kely did pitch the entire inning.

Francis, on the other hand, appears to have been on a somewhat shorter leash. Cameron Maybin and Alexi Amarista started the fourth inning with singles, both of them moving up an extra base on an error. After Kelly struck out, Chris Denorfia singled as well, bringing Maybin home. Francis struck out Forsythe as well, but Headley was up next, and punished Francis once again with a two-run single that ended the Rockie pitcher's rocky outing. Adam Ottavino came in and allowed Headley to steal second, then struck out Carlos Quentin to leave the tying run at second.

Kelly worked perfect innings in the fourth and fifth, and Ottavino worked a scoreless fifth as well. In the top of the sixth, Amarista led off with a double. Kelly (somehow still batting for himself) popped up a bunt in foul ground, and Denorfia flied out, but Forsythe singled Amarista home to tie the game (and took second on the throw home), and Headley singled in Forsythe to put the Padres ahead. Kelly allowed two hits and recorded two outs in the sixth before leaving with runners on the corners, and Nick Vincent struck out Rutledge to end the inning.

At this point in the game, Kelly had thrown 5.2 innings, allowed 8 hits, 7 runs (5 earned), and 2 homers, with a WPA of -.398... and he left the game in position to earn the win.

San Diego increased its lead in the seventh. Ottavino gave up hits to Yasmani Grandal and Maybin. With one out, Matt Reynolds replaced him and served up an RBI knock to Amarista. With Yonder Alonso at the plate, Reynolds then appears to have thrown a prospective wild pitch; Amarista took second successfully, but Maybin was tagged out at home. Alonso drew a walk, but Guillermo Moscoso entered and retired Denorfia to end the inning.

Tommy Layne entered for the bottom of the seventh. He promptly hit Gonzalez with a pitch and gave up a hit to Pacheco. Colvin's sac bunt, which moved the tying run into scoring position, ended Layne's day and brought Brad Brach to the mound. Brach's third pitch was hit for a go-ahead three-run homer by Chris Nelson. Matt Belisle worked a perfect eighth for Colorado, and Brach's adventures continued in the bottom of the inning, as Charlie Blackmon worked him for a walk, then raced to third on his errant pickoff throw before scoring on a hit by Fowler. Brach, Joe Thatcher, and Cory Burns combined to escape the inning without further damage, giving the Padres one last shot in the ninth.

It was nearly enough. Rafael Betancourt recorded the first two outs in drama-free fashion, but then allowed a single to Maybin, who advanced to second on defensive indifference. Amarista then singled him home, putting the tying run on base, and Mark Kotsay singled as well, moving that run into scoring position. But Denorfia grounded out to end it.

This one is Coors at its best. Again, Casey Kelly gave up 7 runs in an inning, and ended up in position to win the game if his bullpen hadn't blown it for him. Amarista went 5/5, and didn't have the best hitting day on his own team, because Headley went 4/5 with a homer and 6 RBI. And the Padres still lost, because five separate Rockies had multiple RBIs.
   13. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: September 03, 2012 at 07:40 PM (#4225758)
Game of the day (last year): Reds 11, Cardinals 8. It's Chris Carpenter vs. Johnny Cueto; what could go wrong?

Both pitchers worked scoreless first innings; neither pitcher could do the same in the second. Yonder Alonso led off the top of the second with a double, and Drew Stubbs laid down an attempted sac bunt on which Yadier Molina tried and failed to get Alonso at third, putting runners on the corners. Juan Francisco followed with a two-run double to open the scoring. Two groundouts later, Brandon Phillips doubled Francisco home, Edgar Renteria singled to score Phillips, Joey Votto's hit moved Renteria to third, and Jay Bruce's single brought him home with the inning's fifth run. The Cardinals didn't tie the game in the second, but they did close the gap, as Matt Holliday walked and Lance Berkman and David Freese both singled, and Molina grounded out to bring in a second run. They would later put runners on second and third before the inning ended.

After Carpenter worked a perfect third, the Cards scored again when Jon Jay, Albert Pujols, and Berkman singled in the bottom of the inning. They came all the way back to tie in the fifth on a home run by Rafael Furcal, singles by Jay and Pujols, and a Holliday double play grounder.

Carpenter quickly recorded the first two outs in the sixth, which brought up the pitcher's spot. Cueto was lifted for pinch hitter Todd Frazier, which worked out nicely for the Reds, as Frazier broke the tie with a solo homer. On the other hand, Cueto's replacement on the mound, Jose Arredondo, was taken deep by Freese in the bottom of the inning, retying the score at six. That tie lasted through only three batters in the top of the seventh, however, as Bruce singled with one out against Marc Rzepczysnki and Alonso homered to put Cincy back in front. The Cardinals put two runners on in the seventh when Bill Bray hit Jay with a pitch and Logan Ondrusek walked Pujols, but failed to bring either of them home. Aroldis Chapman then entered for the eighth, which didn't mean quite the same thing last year that it does this year. Chapman walked Molina and Ryan Theriot, Allen Craig hit into a force that moved Molina to third, and Furcal singled him home, cutting the deficit to one.

That was as small as it got. Chapman retired Shane Robinson to leave the tying run at third, and the Reds put two runners on in the ninth when Votto singled and Miguel Cairo was hit by a pitch. With two outs, Francisco struck again, this time with a three-run homer against Kyle McClellan that effectively iced the game, Holliday's upcoming solo homer off of Francisco Cordero notwithstanding.

After this game, the Reds were 5 games behind the Cardinals in the standings. The Cards, meanwhile, were 8.5 behind the Braves. In related news, the Rays were 9 back of the Red Sox.

Anyone else looking forward to the rest of September?
   14. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: September 03, 2012 at 07:47 PM (#4225761)
Tom is uncomfortably accurate in #6. I am currently unemployed, no longer have a reason to be awake at 5AM after my employer ceased operations, and will be posting dugouts from my basement after the kids get on the school bus.

This will work out for the better eventually, but for now it really blows.
   15. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: September 04, 2012 at 01:57 AM (#4225945)
Indianapolis v. Louisville was called after 7 1/2 - costing Jeff Larish a shot at playing all nine positions in the game... though he did all but catch and earned the save in Indy's 2-0 win. More entertainingly, Jumbo Diaz (who I'm pretty sure outweighs Rube Foster) moved from the mound to second(!), scored a run and stole a base (!!!).

Sorry, Dan...
   16. Tom Nawrocki Posted: September 04, 2012 at 08:44 AM (#4226006)
For the first time ever, I was at the Game of the Day on Sunday. I feel honored. So I can help with some of the details....

Kelly (somehow still batting for himself) popped up a bunt in foul ground,

This was about 40 feet from home plate, slightly into foul territory, but Rockies third baseman Chris Nelson made a terrific sliding catch on it.

Reynolds then appears to have thrown a prospective wild pitch; Amarista took second successfully, but Maybin was tagged out at home.

The pitch got past Rockies catcher Ramon Hernandez and bounced right back to him off the brick wall behind home plate. Maybin, who is very fast, was out easily.

I don't hate Jim Tracy nearly as much as most people here, but one thing he is horrible at is knowing when to pinch-hit for his pitchers. In this game, both Jeff Francis and Adam Ottavino hit for themselves, then had to be relieved in the top of the very next inning. I bet that's happened a good 50 times to the Rockies this year.
   17. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: September 04, 2012 at 09:10 AM (#4226017)
Thanks, Der K. I have a pile of about 50 jobs to apply for today, and between the severance check and unemployment, I'm in good (or at least acceptable) financial shape until next spring.

Hopefully it won't take that long.
   18. bunyon Posted: September 04, 2012 at 09:44 AM (#4226045)
Good luck, Dan. That sucks. But, as you say, I hope it leads to something better in the long-run.

If you need any references, I'm sure we'd all be willing to write something up.
   19. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: September 04, 2012 at 10:15 AM (#4226062)
I don't hate Jim Tracy nearly as much as most people here, but one thing he is horrible at is knowing when to pinch-hit for his pitchers. In this game, both Jeff Francis and Adam Ottavino hit for themselves, then had to be relieved in the top of the very next inning. I bet that's happened a good 50 times to the Rockies this year.

I guess that's another complicating factor with the "starting pitcher throws 4 or so innings, then reliever throws 3 or so innings" plan. Twice as many chances for the manager to pinch-hit at the wrong time.
   20. Misirlou was a Buddhist prodigy Posted: September 04, 2012 at 10:25 AM (#4226066)

SS: Alan Bannister

Good god no. The mas was truly horrid. Much better to put Gonzales in there.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Chicago Joe
for his generous support.