Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, September 07, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-7-2012

Pittsburgh Gazette Times, September 7, 1912:

LYNN, MASS., Sept. 6—For ten innings Meldon Wolfgang of Lowell held Lynn to no hits and no runs without a man reaching first base in a New England baseball league game here today. This is believed to be a new record for organized baseball under the National Commission.

In the eleventh the first Lynn man up singled over second base, but Wolfgang again tightened up and not another hit was made by Lynn until a lucky single was made in the twelfth. Lowell won 1 to 0.

I had never heard of Wolfgang before this morning, but it looks like he was a heck of a pitcher. He made his big league debut with the White Sox in 1914 and went more than two years without giving up a home run.

From 1914-1916, Wolfgang pitched 300 innings of 144 ERA+ baseball, allowing 7.1 hits per nine innings and a total of two home runs. According to Bob Carroll’s BaseballLibrary.com bio of Wolfgang, the diminutive lefty suffered from an illness in 1917-18 which apparently ended his career prematurely.

Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: September 07, 2012 at 09:28 AM | 21 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, mellie wolfgang

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: September 07, 2012 at 09:33 AM (#4229105)
A terrific pitching staff on today's Birthday Team, but they'll have to win a bunch of 1-0 games. There's a weirdly high proportion of catchers and outfielders today and not much in the infield.

And don't try to send Newhan to Ottawa on any sort of injury rehab assignment. Just don't.

C: Bill Schroeder
2B: David Newhan
SS: Tommy Matchick
3B: Wade Rowdon
LF: Joe Rudi
CF: Darren Bragg
RF: Willie Crawford

SP: Hooks Wiltse
SP/1B/Manager: Dave Foutz
SP: Curt Davis
SP: Ed Daily
SP: Jesse Duryea
RP: Jason Isringhausen

DL: Mark Prior
Not that one: Tommy Johns
No relation to Alice Sweet: Rick Sweet
The only Indians pitcher who's ever made me long for the glory days of Rich Yett: Sergio Valdez
   2. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: September 07, 2012 at 09:39 AM (#4229112)
Baseball history item at THT notes that 20,000 days ago the Reds made one of their worst trades in franchise history. No, not the Frank Robinson one.
   3. Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: September 07, 2012 at 09:43 AM (#4229120)
Elsewhere 100 years ago today, the Athletics have suspended Rube Oldring and Chief Bender for the rest of the season for "inability to keep on the water wagon", the Phillies' official scorer changes a decision after the game to give New York's Jeff Tesreau a no-hitter, Pirates owner Barney Dreyfuss says Honus Wagner sometimes goes six months without cashing his paychecks, and there's an amateur basketball player in the Pittsburgh area named Bobby Mayhem.
   4. Mike Webber Posted: September 07, 2012 at 10:01 AM (#4229156)
   5. Randy Jones Posted: September 07, 2012 at 10:14 AM (#4229171)
That John Clayton commercial is hilarious. Almost as hilarious as his "analysis" of the NFL.
   6. PreservedFish Posted: September 07, 2012 at 10:43 AM (#4229201)
Here's something I was wondering about the other day. Suppose the rules stated that baserunners go clockwise around the bases rather than counterclockwise. What would the ramifications be? Would only lefties be able to play third, short and second in the majors?
   7. charityslave is thinking about baseball Posted: September 07, 2012 at 10:43 AM (#4229203)
Not that one: Tommy Johns

Did he have two bad elbows?
   8. charityslave is thinking about baseball Posted: September 07, 2012 at 11:34 AM (#4229281)
Here's something I was wondering about the other day. Suppose the rules stated that baserunners go clockwise around the bases rather than counterclockwise. What would the ramifications be?

Well, for one thing, dogs and cats would start living together...
   9. Craig in MN Posted: September 07, 2012 at 12:08 PM (#4229334)
Suppose the rules stated that baserunners go clockwise around the bases rather than counterclockwise. What would the ramifications be? Would only lefties be able to play third, short and second in the majors?

I'd say baseball would never have become nearly as popular as it has been. Due to the left/right handed issues, many more kids wouldn't be able to emulate the pros they see making plays. Right now, a right handed kid can pretend to be any player in the majors and have his play seem natural enough. If the bulk of the high profile players suddenly switched to being lefties, it just wouldn't make sense for such a large portion of the kids. Also, with more lefty-favored position player spots, left handed pitchers would be more valuable, stripping jobs from right handers and further decreasing the dream of being a big league pitcher for a right handed kid. It just wouldn't have such a life-long appeal to as many people. Right handers rule the world.

That said, I'm surprised no one has started a park-league left-handed baseball league with this rule in place.
   10. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: September 07, 2012 at 12:18 PM (#4229346)
Not sure if anyone linked to this previously, but there's a great story on Grantland about the world-famous pedestrianist Edward Payson Weston.
   11. BDC Posted: September 07, 2012 at 12:23 PM (#4229350)
Suppose the rules stated that baserunners go clockwise around the bases rather than counterclockwise

Thanks to a Finnish gym teacher, I spent some time in middle school playing Pesäpallo, the Finnish bat-and-ball game where the initial progress is clockwise (but then reverts to counterclockwise, in a manner difficult to explain; I suggest Googling "Pesäpallo," because that umlaut is playing hell with my attempts to link to explanations of the game).

But anyway, I can't really point to any big dynamic differences. Of course, playing on sandlots means having a certain number of left-handed infielders even in baseball and softball. Play is slower and less precise, and optimization of motion is less important till you get to reasonably high competitive levels; you can make up in range and quickness what you lose in optimal motion (hence Mike Squires, say, could play third base, in rare situations, even in the majors).
   12. Mike Emeigh Posted: September 07, 2012 at 01:19 PM (#4229445)
That John Clayton commercial is hilarious. Almost as hilarious as his "analysis" of the NFL.

John Clayton got his start as a reporter for the Pittsburgh papers, covering (among other things) Carnegie-Mellon sports. I met him in 1977 when the Tartans qualified for the NCAA Division 3 basketball tournament and I was one of the team's radio broadcasters (WRCT Pittsburgh - 88.3). I've followed his career since then. He's always been a good reporter, in my book - dogged and hard-working even when the assignment is not exactly glamorous.

By the way, covering an NCAA tournament, even at levels below Division 1, can be a joy for a credentialed media person - they really do it right.

-- MWE
   13. Rants Mulliniks Posted: September 07, 2012 at 01:45 PM (#4229476)
Thanks Bob for that tidbit on Pesäpallo. I know a lot of obscure sports, but I'd never even heard of that one.
   14. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 07, 2012 at 04:41 PM (#4229694)
Baseball history item at THT notes that 20,000 days ago the Reds made one of their worst trades in franchise history.

They also had Claude Osteen at that time and later pissed him away for nothing.
   15. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 07, 2012 at 04:47 PM (#4229700)
Phils' news: Chooch off the disabled list (plantar fasciitis). He probably will PH for a while. I kind of hope they don't catch him for the rest of the year, why mess?

Placido Polanco to the disabled list (faberge egg syndrome). Surely the Phils will buy out the $1M option for next year. You'd think this would be it for him. That was a nice career if so. My family and I toured Busch Stadium in 1998 or 1999 and saw PP take BP. I told my son that I thought he was a nice little utility player. Turns out I'm not much of a scout.
   16. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: September 07, 2012 at 05:49 PM (#4229748)
Game of the day (yesterday): Well, there were only five games, and one of them went to extras. If someone was gambling-addicted enough to put odds on the system's GotD selections, they'd have been taken off the board for this one:

Rangers 5, Royals 4 (10). While Luke Hochevar was working three perfect innings for the Royals, his teammates were hitting Scott Feldman around a bit. Lorenzo Cain and Alex Gordon both singled in the bottom of the first, and moved to second and third on a double steal before being stranded on a lineout. In the second, Jeff Francoeur opened the scoring with a one-out solo homer. Cain led off the third with a double and stole third, then scored one out later on Gordon's triple. After the second out, Salvador Perez singled Gordon home to extend the Kansas City lead to three runs.

In the fourth inning, the Rangers remembered that they have one of the league's best offenses. Michael Young singled with one out, and Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre followed that with back-to-back homers, tying the game. Then it was Feldman's turn to throw three perfect innings; Hochevar allowed a single to Craig Gentry in the fifth, but no other runners through the sixth, preserving the tie.

That tie came to an end in the top of the seventh, as David Murphy singled with one out and Geovany Soto doubled him home to put Texas in front. Feldman retired the first hitter in the bottom of the seventh, then was lifted in favor of Michael Kirkman; this is a pitching change that appears rather dubious in hindsight, because Kirkman promptly allowed a game-tying solo shot to Eric Hosmer, making him the second horrifically disappointing Royal to hit a key homer in the game.

Kansas City's Kelvin Herrera walked Hamilton and allowed a single to Beltre in the tenth, but left both runners on; Texas's Tanner Scheppers allowed a hit to Alcides Escobar, but removed him from the bases on a double play. Tim Collins and Mike Adams allowed one baserunner each in the ninth, but neither allowed him past first, sending the game to extras. And in the top of the tenth, Ian Kinsler hit Greg Holland's second pitch to left-center and motored around to third.

There's more of the game after that, but not much of overwhelming importance. Young singled Kinsler home; the Rangers would go on to load the bases thanks to a wild pitch, an intentional walk, and a hit batter, but didn't score any further, and Joe Nathan allowed a one-out single to Cain before getting Escobar to end it on a double play.

As far as larger analysis of the game, it moves the Royals into second overall in excitement for the season, a hair ahead of the Phillies (the difference between their total scores through 137 games is .06), and within striking distance of the Brewers. Texas, meanwhile, stays in last, but is now pretty close to the Cubs after the latter team spent four days getting hammered in Washington, a series that also dropped the Nats into fifth overall.
   17. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: September 07, 2012 at 07:37 PM (#4229795)
Game of the day (last year): Mets 7, Marlins 4 (12). Josh Turner and Lucas Duda both singled against Florida's Chris Volstad with one out in the top of the first, but Volstad escaped the inning, and he and Miguel Batista both kept the bases empty until Turner walked with two outs in the third.

Not that it was going to last; it's Chris Volstad and Miguel Batista.

Bryan Petersen led off the bottom of the third with a single. One out later, Volstad drew a walk, and Emilio Bonifacio singled to load the bases. But Omar Infante and Greg Dobbs both made outs in the air, neither of them deep enough to score a run. After a perfect fourth from Volstad, Gaby Sanchez walked, then moved all the way to third on a groundout and throwing error before Mike Cameron and Petersen walked behind him to load the bases. Brett Hayes then hit into a double play, making it two consecutive bases loaded, one out situations that went scoreless for the Fish.

Volstad finally cracked in the fifth. Ronny Paulino started things off with a one-out ground rule double. He moved to third on a bunt from Batista, watched Jose Reyes walk behind him, and scored on a single by Turner. Duda would then walk to load the bases before David Wright flied out to leave them that way.

The Mets promptly regretted their missed further opportunity just as much as the Marlins did theirs, as Florida quickly tied the score on an Infante single and Dobbs double, but New York recaptured the lead when Willie Harris doubled and Nick Evans singled in the sixth (even if Evans was thrown out trying for second on the play). Batista then worked a scoreless sixth, and both teams turned the game over to their bullpens.

Clay Hensley worked a scoreless seventh for Florida, which allowed his teammates to tie the game in the bottom of the inning against Manny Acosta when Bonifacio singled and took second on an error, then came home on Dobbs's second consecutive RBI double. New York rebroke the tie once more in the eighth, as Angel Pagan doubled against Ryan Webb, Harris was intentionally walked, and Evans hit his second straight RBI single (and managed not to be thrown out at second this time, albeit mostly because the base was already occupied). Jason Isringhausen walked the bases loaded in the bottom of the eighth, but struck out Jose Lopez and Bonifacio to hang onto the lead (and make it three bases loaded, one out situations in which the team named for an aquatic creature came up dry), and the Mets tacked on an insurance run against Edward Mujica in the ninth when Reyes singled, moved up on a sac bunt and a groundout, watched Wright intentionaly walked behind him, and scored on Pagan's double. A second intentional walk to Willie Harris (how many times has that phrase been uttered?) reloaded the bases, but Evans hit into a force to leave all three runners on.

Bobby Parnell came on for the bottom of the ninth. Infante fanned, Dobbs singled, and Sanchez popped out. With two away, Dobbs moved up on a wild pitch, and Logan Morrison walked to put the tying runs on base. Cameron then took them off the bases, knocking a game-tying two-run double. Parnell rallied to strand the winning run at second, but the game was still headed for extras.

Mujica threw a perfect tenth, and Pedro Beato and Tim Byrdak combined to allow only one baserunner in the bottom of the inning. The once and future (albeit not present) Juan Oviedo set the Mets down in order in the eleventh, and a walk and a two-base error put runners on second and third in the bottom of the inning, but Ryota Igarashi replaced Byrdak and fanned Daniel Murphy to extend the game. And in the twelfth, the New Yorkers struck. Pagan singled, and Jason bay doubled him to third. Evans then singled in one run, and after Jose Ceda struck out the next two hitters to give the home crowd a bit of residual hope, Reyes singled in a second run, Turner walked to load the bases and chase Ceda, and Steve Cishek walked Duda on four pitches to force in a third run. Josh Stinson retired the Marlins 1-2-3 to end the game.

It's a 12-inning game with a game-tying rally in the ninth and two others in the prior innings, and it also features three bases-loaded, one-out situations that resulted in no runs - two with the game tied, one with the rallying team down by a run. That's good baseball - #21 game of the year good, to be precise.
   18. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: September 08, 2012 at 06:08 PM (#4230421)
Game of the day (yesterday): Brewers 5, Cardinals 4 (13). After a perfect first inning from Kyle Lohse, the Cardinals picked up a pair of early runs against Yovani Gallardo. Jon Jay led off with a single, took second on a passed ball, and scored on a double by Matt Carpenter; Carlos Beltran grounded out and Allen Craig flied out, both of their outs advancing Carpenter 90 feet and the second driving him in. Lohse allowed a second inning double to Milwaukee's Corey Hart, and Jay and Carpenter picked up their second hits of the game in the third, but the game remained 2-0 until the fourth, when Rickie Weeks and Ryan Braun both singled, Weeks taking third on the latter hit, and Taylor Green followed with an RBI groundout to cut the Brewer deficit in half.

Milwaukee put two runners on in the fifth with a hit and a walk, and St. Louis had men on second and third after Daniel Descalso singled, Jay singled him to third, and Jay stole second, but neither team scored. Both starters were perfect in the sixth, and Lohse recorded a quick out in the seventh before walking Martin Maldonado and giving up a single to Jeff Bianchi, with Maldonado taking third. Both starters were then pulled from the game at the same time, Lohse replaced by Edward Mujica and Gallardo lifted for pinch hitter Travis Ishikawa. Ishikawa doubled, tying the game and moving the go-ahead run to third.

The next play makes absolutely no sense as far as I can tell, and MLB.com doesn't have the video among the highlights for this game, so I'll open this one up to you guys. Can anyone explain how, with runners at second and third and one out, the runner on second gets thrown out on a play, the runner at third stays at third, and the batter takes second? This seems utterly impossible, and the play is scored 4-2, which would seem to indicate an out at home rather than third, but B-R, MLB.com, and ESPN.com all agree that Ishikawa, not Bianchi, was out on the play. So... what the heck?

Anyway, the Cards escaped the inning with a tie. In the bottom of the seventh, Francisco Rodriguez allowed a hit and steal to Descalso, who ended the inning stranded at third.

The eighth... the eighth was fun. Corey Hart singled against Mitchell Boggs with one out, and stole second with two away. Carlos Gomez then grounded to Descalso at short, and beat the throw for an infield hit. Said throw also got away from Carpenter at first, allowing Hart to round third and coast home with the go-ahead run. Gomez then stole second as well, and Maldonado singled him home, while getting himself thrown out trying to stretch the hit. Jim Henderson came on for the bottom of the inning; he issued a leadoff walk to Matt Holliday, but retired the next two Cards. Next up, however, was Yadier Molina, who launched a 2-2 pitch over the left field wall to tie the game once more.

Jason Motte and Manny Parra worked immaculate ninth innings to send the game to extras, and Motte threw a scoreless tenth as well, allowing only a leadoff hit to Weeks, who was later caught stealing. Jose Veras didn't allow a baserunner in the bottom of the tenth, nor did Fernando Salas in the top of the eleventh. The bottom of the eleventh was a different story, as Kameron Loe allowed hits to Craig and Molina to open the inning. Ryan Jackson attempted to lay down a sac bunt, but Craig was thrown out at third; naturally, Loe then threw a wild pitch, advancing the runners into scoring position anyway. Bryan Anderson then struck out looking, Descalso walked to load the bases, and Adron Chambers grounded out to end the inning.

Lance Lynn entered for the twelfth; apparently he was booted from the Cardinal rotation without my noticing, because this was his fifth relief appearance since his last start. He set the Brewers down in order. Brandon Kintzler worked the bottom of the inning, walking Carpenter and Beltran with one out before coaxing a double play from Craig to end the rally. In the thirteenth, Lynn showed the form that got him demoted, as Braun took him deep with one out to put Milwaukee in the lead, and John Axford nailed down the win in the bottom of the inning, allowing only a two-out walk.

A go-ahead/game-tying rally combo in the eighth inning isn't quite as good as the same combo in the ninth or in extras, but it's still pretty terrific. Throw in 13 innings, with the bases loaded in the eleventh, and the mystery play in the seventh, and you've got a very nice game - #15 on the year to date, and the highlight of a day that grades out as the 5th-most exciting of the year so far.
   19. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: September 08, 2012 at 10:38 PM (#4230591)
Game of the day (last year): Orioles 5, Yankees 4 (11). Baltimore started things off with a manufactured run in the first, courtesy of Mark Angle (who's one of the few players I wouldn't object to nicknaming with first initial-last name). MAngle led off the inning with a single, stole second, and came the rest of the way around on a pair of groundouts. The Yanks rallied in the bottom of the inning, as Russell Martin doubled against Zach Britton, Nick Swisher walked, and Alex Rodriguez plated both of them with a double, but AJ Burnett gave the lead right back in the top of the second. Nolan Reimold led off with a walk, stole second, and took third on a one-out wild pitch. Ryan Adams walked, and Kyle Hudson reached on an error by first baseman Brandon Laird, allowing the tying run to score. (September baseball!)

Laird led off the bottom of the second by reaching on an Oriole error, but was removed from the bases on a double play. In the third, Burnett provided more fodder for the Bronx boobirds, giving up a hit to Robert Andino and a go-ahead two run homer to Reimold. Britton worked a perfect bottom of the inning, while Burnett allowed a single to Hudson, who eventually moved to third but didn't score. The bottom of the fourth saw the Yanks get to Britton once again, as A-Rod walked, Andruw Jones doubled, and Jesus Montero singled in a pair of runs to even the score.

Andino led off the fifth with a double, but was promptly doubled off on a Nick Markakis line drive. Baltimore went on to put two further runners on with an error and a walk, but didn't score; neither did the Yanks, who failed to reach base in the bottom of the inning. Burnett escaped the sixth as well, largely thanks to another double play. Brad Bergesen replaced Britton in the sixth and retired the first two hitters he faced, but the next two reached on an error and a walk, so Baltimore brought in Zach Phillips to strike out Robinson Cano and end the inning.

Three Yankee pitchers combined on a scoreless seventh; Phillips allowed a leadoff double to Curtis Granderson, but Willie Eyre came on and set the next three hitters down, with Granderson left on third at the conclusion of the inning. David Robertson and Kevin Gregg both worked spotless eighths. Rafael Soriano pitched the ninth, allowing MAngle to reach on an error (by defensive replacement Brett Gardner) but stranding him at second; three Baltimore pitchers collaborated on the bottom of the ninth, allowing one baserunner between them. Both teams put their leadoff men on base in the tenth, but Hector Noesi and Pedro Strop stranded the runners.

With one out in the eleventh, MAngle reached on Eduardo Nunez's second error of the game, and New York's fourth. After the second out, Angle stole second, and Markakis was intentionally walked. Noesi then allowed an RBI single to Mark Reynolds, putting Baltimore in the lead; a wild pitch and intentional walk loaded the bases, but Chris Davis grounded out to limit the damage. Jim Johnson pitched the bottom of the eleventh and walked Montero, who was replaced by pinch runner Chris Dickerson. After a pair of flyouts, Cano singled, moving Dickerson to third, but Eric Chavez hit into a force to leave the tying run on and end the game.

This is possibly the quintessential September baseball game. Six errors, many of them by backups and scrubs. MAngle went 1/6, but stole two bases and scored twice, including the decisive run. And the Orioles beat the mighty Yankees, even though they were playing, well, this lineup. Which gives one hope that they can do the same with actual good players.
   20. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: September 09, 2012 at 01:02 PM (#4230991)
Game of the day (yesterday): Nationals 7, Marlins 6 (10).

On the day after Stephen Strasburg's last start of the year, Washington's starting pitcher and the man who will most likely take Strasburg's spot in the postseason rotation, gave up a leadoff home run to Gorkys Hernandez. As omens go, Ross Detwiler just served up what looks like a bad one - and it didn't improve much after that, as Giancarlo Stanton added a second homer in the top of the first and the Marlins added another run in the second on a Donnie Murphy double and a Donovan Solano single.

Miami starter Mark Buehrle, meanwhile, worked two routine scoreless innings. His progress was slightly interrupted by Jesus Flores's leadoff homer in the third, and the Nats compounded his trouble in the fourth. Ryan Zimmerman led off with a single, and two outs later, Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa singled as well, bringing Zimmerman around to score. An intentional walk to Flores loaded the bases for Detwiler, who grounded into an inning-ending force at third to preserve the Marlin lead.

That lead was extended in the top of the fifth, as Solano and Carlos Lee drew walks and Justin Ruggiano reached on an error to bring home a run. John Buck singled, scoring Lee and getting Ruggiano thrown out on the bases; still, the lead was back to three runs. Buehrle yielded his second homer of the game in the bottom of the inning, this one to Bryce Harper. Craig Stammen came on to throw a perfect sixth for the Nats, and Buehrle matched him. In the seventh, Solano led off with a double, and Lee walked behind him two outs later. Ruggiano then reached on an error for the second consecutive at bat, once again bringing Solano home. Buehrle worked a 1-2-3 seventh, and Christian Garcia did the same for the Nats in the eighth.

Buehrle was replaced by AJ Ramos in the bottom of the eighth. Ramos's second pitch hit Harper, bringing the tying run to the plate; his fifth was hit over the left-center field fence by Zimmerman, bringing the tying run around the bases and back to the plate. Mike Morse singled, resulting in Ramos being replaced by Mike Dunn and Morse being pulled for pinch runner Eury Perez; Dunn allowed a hit to Adam LaRoche, and was removed for Ryan Webb. Webb induced a force at second from Desmond, who then stole second to put both the tying and go-ahead runs in scoring position. Espinosa struck out, pinch hitter Chad Tracy was intentionally walked to load the bases, and pinch hitter Roger Bernadina struck out.

Tyler Clippard allowed a single and steal to Jose Reyes in the top of the ninth, but no runs. Heath Bell struck out the side in the bottom of the ninth - but did so only after allowing a game-tying homer to Jayson Werth to start the inning. Drew Storen was perfect in the top of the tenth; Chad Gaudin was far from it, allowing singles to LaRoche and Desmond, intentionally walking Espinosa to load the bases, coaxing a force at home from Kurt Suzuki, and finally yielding a pinch single to Corey Brown that ended the game.

So... omen or no omen, the Nats won anyway. For Mike Rizzo's sake, here's hoping that keeps up.
   21. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: September 09, 2012 at 03:39 PM (#4231055)
Game of the day (last year): Orioles 5, Yankees 4 (10). After both starters were perfect in the first, the Yankees took the early lead in the second against Alfredo Simon. Alex Rodriguez walked, Robinson Cano singled, Nick Swisher walked, and Eric Chavez singled, loading the bases and bringing in one run. Francisco Cervelli lined into a double play, but Brett Gardner walked to reload the bases, and Derek Jeter singled to bring in two additional tallies. Vladimir Guerrero brought Baltimore a bit closer in the bottom of the inning with a solo homer against Ivan Nova, but New York got the run back in the third on a Mark Teixeira infield single and steal and a two-out hit by Chavez.

The Yanks threatened again in the fourth. Jeter singled with one out, but was then caught stealing; this became especially unfortunate when Curtis Granderson walked and Teixeira singled, opening the possibility that Jeter would have scored if he'd still been on base. Baltimore came a run closer in the bottom of the inning on a double by Guerrero, a groundout, and a sac fly. Jo-Jo Reyes replaced Simon on the mound to start the fifth and retired the Yankees in order, and the Orioles picked up a Nick Markakis single and a two-base error that put Adam Jones on second and Markakis on third in the bottom of the inning. Nova recovered, however, getting Guerrero to foul out and Matt Wieters to ground out. Reyes worked another spotless inning in the sixth, and Baltimore drew another run closer as Nolan Reimold doubled to chase Nova from the game and Chris Davis greeted Boone Logan with another double to drive the runner home.

Reyes and Jeremy Accardo worked a scoreless seventh for Baltimore. After Aaron Laffey walked Markakis, Cory Wade replaced him and retired Jones on a fly ball. Up next was Guerrero, who came through with his third extra-base hit of the game, a double into the right-center field gap. Markakis rounded third, but was thrown out at home, and Wade would leave the tying run at second. After Troy Patton worked a spotless eighth, the O's tried again. Mark Reynolds led off with a single against Rafael Soriano, taking second on an error. Reimold flied out for the first out. Davis then blooped a single into shallow center. Reynolds came for the plate, but Granderson's throw beat him by a few steps and Cervelli held on to apply the tag.

After having runners cut down at home in back-to-back innings, the narrative should be that the Orioles would give up. Fortunately, professional sports don't make a habit of playing out exactly how you'd expect. Robert Andino grounded a single into left, scoring Davis (who'd taken second on the throw home on the prior play) and tying the game. Andino was then caught stealing, ending the inning, but Patton and Kevin Gregg combined to strike out the side in the ninth, preserving the tie. Scott Proctor allowed a hit to Markakis and a walk to Jones, but no runs in the ninth, sending the game to extras.

In the tenth, Gregg struck out two Yankees before walking Rodriguez; Clay Rapada then came on and got Cano to ground out. Proctor stayed in for the bottom of the inning, and started it by fanning Reynolds. Reimold then reached on an infield single, Davis walked to advance him to second, and Andino rifled a ball up the line into left for a walkoff single.

Quite a last three innings there by Andino - a game-tying hit and a game-winning hit. For a player of his caliber, you'd figure on this being his biggest moment...

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.