Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Raissman: Could 2013 be last year for John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman on Yankees radio broadcast?

Swan Song for Swingin’ Lovers!?

hb

The Yankees’ contract with WCBS-AM, another one-year deal, expires following this season. So does Ma and Pa’s one-year contract. While all interested parties are talking about a possible deal, the radio situation is up in the air. CBS wants to remain the Bombers’ radio home and ESPN-98.7 is looking to take those Yankee radio rights away. Some Yankee moles suggest there are other interested outlets, too.

...Last season, we were confident Sterling and Waldman would be back no matter who lands the Bombers’ radio deal. Now, we are not so sure. The more time passes, and multiyear deals don’t get done, the cloudier their future gets. Like all of us, neither of them is getting any younger.

Sterling continues messing up routine stuff (like the score or where a ball is hit) and Waldman continues cleaning up after him. This produces uncomfortable, sometimes cringe-inducing radio. It also makes it impossible to follow the game.

Sterling doesn’t paint the word picture — he finger paints it.

Still, this is their ninth season together and there’s a segment of Yankee fans that feels Ma and Pa are like family. They don’t care about the rough spots. And when it comes to baseball on the radio, the likability factor is huge. It cannot be manufactured. While it doesn’t drive the ratings, it plays a factor in keeping them healthy.

Repoz Posted: May 25, 2013 at 05:50 PM | 21 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: media, yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Tripon Posted: May 25, 2013 at 06:02 PM (#4452175)
If they don't drive ratings, why the heck would you pay top dollar for them?
   2. catomi01 Posted: May 25, 2013 at 08:09 PM (#4452235)
Still, this is their ninth season together and there’s a segment of Yankee fans that feels Ma and Pa are like family.

Please ID, find, and eliminate this segment of Yankee fans.
   3. TerpNats Posted: May 25, 2013 at 08:09 PM (#4452236)
Raissman: Could 2013 be last year for John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman on Yankees radio broadcast?
We can always hope.
   4. Steve Treder Posted: May 25, 2013 at 08:17 PM (#4452239)

That would be a drone-strike targeted assassination program that we could all get behind.
   5. Tom Nawrocki Posted: May 25, 2013 at 08:28 PM (#4452240)

Why stop with just that one segment?
   6. Steve Treder Posted: May 25, 2013 at 08:29 PM (#4452241)

Good point.
   7. Gonfalon B. Posted: May 25, 2013 at 08:45 PM (#4452248)
It would be cruel to give Sterling the axe. Just trick him into thinking that he's still at Yankee Stadium. He'll never know the difference. Put a cat's scratching post in front of him and tell him it's the microphone. Even without game action to "look at," Sterling's home broadcasts shouldn't be a dropoff from the real thing. "It is HIGH! It is FAR! It is... oh, it's just a door."
   8. catomi01 Posted: May 25, 2013 at 09:29 PM (#4452267)

I resemble that remark...but I'll be the first to admit that my team's fanbase could afford a little pruning.
   9. Chip Posted: May 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM (#4452290)
It would be cruel to give Sterling the axe. Just trick him into thinking that he's still at Yankee Stadium. He'll never know the difference. Put a cat's scratching post in front of him and tell him it's the microphone. Even without game action to "look at," Sterling's home broadcasts shouldn't be a dropoff from the real thing. "It is HIGH! It is FAR! It is... oh, it's just a door."

To assure the verisimilitude, don't forget to include an ice cream bucket for him to dip his fingers into.
   10. Chip Posted: May 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM (#4452295)
   11. Chip Posted: May 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM (#4452297)
ice cream bucket

Apologies - IPad eating the link like Sterling at a free buffet.
   12. Best Regards, President of Comfort Posted: May 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM (#4452302)
Didn't they have this article last year?
   13. Dale Sams Posted: May 26, 2013 at 08:17 AM (#4452337)
Just trick him into thinking that he's still at Yankee Stadium. He'll never know the difference.

"Oh Mrs. Sterling! These strained peas are A. HOME. RUN! 'Peas' never stop making them!"
   14. NattyBoh Posted: May 26, 2013 at 08:50 AM (#4452342)
A move to WEPN (FM) would really shrink the listening area.

What will his next gem be? "Another zero by Ichiro!" As bad as Stirling is he'll never match the inanity of The Scooter.
   15. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: May 26, 2013 at 08:55 AM (#4452343)
Living in the NY area and listening to the Yanks on the radio fairly frequently, I've never really understood the Sterling/Waldman hate. No, they're not very good, and, yes, you'd think the sport's flagship franchise could do better. But they're far from the worst I've heard...not everybody can be Ernie Harwell, after all.

A move to WEPN (FM) would really shrink the listening area.

Can't hear that station where I live. It's so annoying, I've been known to tune to their AM station -- now in Spanish -- to listen to Jets games. (Somehow, they're easier to listen to that way...)
   16. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: May 26, 2013 at 09:05 AM (#4452344)
For a lot of out of market fans, night time AM radio is their strongest connection to the Yankees. I used to enjoy listening to the evening games when I lived in rural Maine. A switch to FM would be a shame, even in this age of MLB.tv and At Bat, etc.

Sterling and Waldman I don't care much about. Yes, they are bad, but any replacement is likely to be bad in a different way.
   17. TerpNats Posted: May 26, 2013 at 09:15 AM (#4452347)
As bad as Sterling is he'll never match the inanity of The Scooter.
Phil Rizzuto was an acquired taste, to be sure, but there was a charm to him -- he was the slightly daffy uncle found in nearly every family. "Charm" and "John Sterling" are mutually exclusive terms.
   18. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: May 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM (#4452367)
The only time I listen to the Yanks on the radio is when I'm driving at night. Sterling's pretty lame, but since 90% of the Yankee games I get are on TV, it's not as if it makes that much of a difference. As long as the current YES team stays together, that more than makes up for Bozo.

19. Long Time Listener, First Time Caller Posted: May 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM (#4452384)
Where does this rumor rank in the pantheon of dramatic things?
   20. Barnaby Jones Posted: May 26, 2013 at 01:42 PM (#4452434)
Are their any other lady announcers?
   21. hardrain Posted: May 26, 2013 at 07:43 PM (#4452720)
Someday the Yankees will have competent, professional broadcasters. But then the radio games will no longer be special. Sterling is blind, for one thing. He has no short term memory left and often gives the wrong score and wrong player. He recently confused Vernon Wells with Lyle Overbay, for example. Suzyn has a severe crush on Jayson "You have to watch the games" Nix that permeates every broadcast. It's all hilarious and entertaining.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Phil Birnbaum
for his generous support.