Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Raissman: Mike Francesa returning to WFAN in the 3 pm - 7 pm time slot, sources tell News

Al Alburquerque was unavailable for comment.

Unless there is a last-minute snag in the negotiations, Mike (Sports Pope) Francesa will soon return to WFAN, the Daily News has learned.

Francesa will be back in the 3 p.m.-7 p.m. slot, according to well-embedded Hudson Street (FAN Headquarters) rats. The sources said the 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. slot will be divided between Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts, currently FAN’s 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. team, and CMB, aka Chris Carlin, Maggie Gray and Bart Scott, who replaced Francesa earlier this year.

Stormy JE Posted: April 24, 2018 at 03:36 PM | 118 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: fatass, mike francesa, radio, wfan

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 12:43 PM (#5661102)
flip
   102. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5661105)
Trebek intentionally avoids being friendly with the contestants, and speaks to them off-camera as minimally as possible, in order to head off any claims of favoritism or other impropriety.

That doesn't preclude that he might be a douche anyway, but there is a professional reason for maintaining some distance.
I never got the sense that he was a douche -- just aloof. Karl's reason, plus, I assume, the fact that he sees so many contestants coming through every week that he's going to interact with for so little time before they disappear forever (I mean, from his world, not from the planet) that he doesn't really have much incentive to get to know any one of them.
   103. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 12:55 PM (#5661111)
Sorry, who is redrobin? David, were you on Jeopardy too?
   104. chisoxcollector Posted: April 26, 2018 at 12:56 PM (#5661113)
For whatever reason, I only listen to film/tv related podcasts. Here are the ones I listen to in order of “priority”.

Now Playing
Filmspotting
Slash Filmcast
F! This Movie
The Watch
You Must Remember This
The Rewatchables
Show Me the Meaning!
Binge Mode
Corpse Club
Pop Culture Happy Hour

Plus various TV show specific recap podcasts.
   105. SoSH U at work Posted: April 26, 2018 at 01:05 PM (#5661119)
Sorry, who is redrobin?

A guy who used to post here, often in the NBA thread. His most recent handle was rr (you can see it in the donor column from time to time).
   106. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 01:06 PM (#5661122)
A guy who used to post here

Gotcha, thought I missed a post from someone or that someone who used to be redrobin changed their handle.
   107. Baldrick Posted: April 26, 2018 at 01:08 PM (#5661123)
My two favorite podcasts for general audiences:
- In Our Time. An institution on the BBC. 45 minutes with three wickedly smart people talking about subjects from Hamlet to Cephalopods to Risorgimento to Al-Ghazali.
- Revolutions. Mike Duncan started with the History of Rome, which is excellent, but Revolutions is even better. I've learned more listening to him talk than I learned from reading Eric Hobsbawm. And I'm a HUGE Eric Hobsbawm fan.

I'm also into some pretty niche ones, including several women's soccer podcasts, and one that's focused on the board game Twilight Imperium. That's the fun thing about podcasts. Anything you're interested in, there's probably a good podcast for it.

I still desperately miss NPR's old It's All Politics show with Ken Rudin and Ron Elving, which was like listening to Statler and Waldorf talk politics. It was glorious.
   108. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5661171)

Sorry, who is redrobin? David, were you on Jeopardy too?
Yes. (It's not really an exclusive club after so many years on the air...)
   109. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 26, 2018 at 02:10 PM (#5661178)
My Alex Trebek story:

My senior year of undergrad, I took a marketing class taught by an adjunct. Turns out it was basically "Intro to Junk Mail," and suffice to say I didn't take the class very seriously. Our big thing over the course of the quarter was that we had to form groups and design an event marketing campaign for Publisher's Clearing House (I think) that we would enter in the national Direct Marketing Association's annual collegiate competition. In retrospect, a great way for PCH to steal the ideas of college kids.

Anyway, the other guys in my group were taking the class about as seriously as I did - we had our group meetings at the bar, etc. and were still finishing the materials on the last day of the quarter when we were supposed to be presenting to the class. We were total screw-ups and I'm sure we would have failed the class...had we not somehow managed to win the national competition. To this day I have no idea how that happened. I'm sure the professor was just as stunned as we were.

So, instead of failing, we got an all-expense-paid trip to San Francisco the following fall to receive our award at the national DMA convention. We learned that we would be given our award by the MC of the ceremony, none other than Alex Trebek. Being the ne'er-do-wells that we were, we slipped him a note as he was shaking our hands requesting that he come out drinking with us that night. After the ceremony, there was a wine-and-cheese type reception. Maybe half an hour in, Alex Trebek comes up to us with a big laugh and says "So, I hear I'm supposed to go out drinking with the college team tonight, eh?" (I might be making the "eh" up, but the guy is Canadian). He didn't actually go out with us, but we talked to him for a bit and he was cool.
   110. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 26, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5661209)
The podcast is simply shitty radio for the upwardly mobile professional.
I'm getting the feeling that you're not really writing about podcasts so much as your own massive insecurities.
   111. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: April 26, 2018 at 05:26 PM (#5661375)
General Interest/Other
99% Invisible
Reply All
Astronomy Cast

I love Reply All. It's nominally about technology, but is mostly about people's struggles with technology.

112. Leroy Kincaid Posted: April 26, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5661379)
Jeopardy is the only show I have to watch. When it's 7PM I'm on the couch and my wife has to be quiet (ha!). Not sure if snapper being on the show is a joke or something but if true, you have my admiration.
   113. Swoboda is freedom Posted: April 26, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5661391)
Jeopardy is the only show I have to watch. When it's 7PM I'm on the couch

I DVR it, so I can skip through the commercials and interviews, so it only takes me 15 minutes to watch. I have never been on. I have tried out 3 times. Passed the initial test all 3 times, been on set a couple of times, was told I was on potential guest list once, but never was called. I guess I am not as tv good looking as David or Snapper.
   114. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:57 PM (#5661449)
Not sure if snapper being on the show is a joke or something but if true, you have my admiration.

No joke. I provided a link to my games on the previous page.
   115. Howie Menckel Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:41 PM (#5661474)
Jeopardy is just a game show
;)

I was on Court TV twice with Nancy Grace - that's way harder (except that there is no buzzer)

instead of an answer as in Jeopardy, you get a fast-paced series of questions for a half-hour that aren't really relevant to the subject. you can't get the answer "right," but you have to speak plausibly enough that the audience doesn't notice. oh, and you only know you won when you get invited back. I have likened it to being on a rollercoaster - except you are standing up with your hands on your head the whole time. (which may be similar to being on Jeopardy.)

I then won a bonus round with Catherine Crier, but logistics prevented the appearance - so the streak ended
   116. Endless Trash Posted: April 27, 2018 at 03:20 AM (#5661483)
Well this thread might be the worst one in a long time. Everything modern is crap and anyone who likes Joe posnanski is a middle class snob, according to the upper class snob of btf. Okay then.

Anyway, isn't raissman the guy who just has a seething hate for Francesca? I seem to remember this from years ago.
   117. Drexl Spivey Posted: April 27, 2018 at 05:10 AM (#5661486)
Well this thread might be the worst one in a long time. Everything modern is crap and anyone who likes Joe posnanski is a middle class snob, according to the upper class snob of btf. Okay then.

Yeah, I also hate this thread. I love the Posnanski/Schur podcasts.

Podcasts are basically highly customizable talk radio shows with a fast forward option.
   118. Leroy Kincaid Posted: April 27, 2018 at 06:49 AM (#5661487)
Yep, terrible thread.

No joke. I provided a link to my games on the previous page.

And I saw Ken Jennings' name a bunch of times. Which is why I thought it was a joke.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Phil Birnbaum
for his generous support.