Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Rasmus’ dad blasts Tony La Russa

“Colby Rasmus family blames Cards manager for trade”

Tony Rasmus didn’t throw the first stone, but he was firing back.

In June of 2010 the father visited his son in St. Louis and worked on hitting: “We didn’t do anything serious. Colby told Tony about it. After last June that was the end of that,” said Tony Rasmus, who said four weeks ago the Cards and Colby were involved in talks on a four-year deal.

“Evidently Tony (La Russa) has absolutely made that stuff up. He’s got it on the brain. If I was working with my son I’d tell people.

“Tony needed pitching and wanted to force the GM into making a trade, so he belittled Colby to the fans.”

...“Tony would like to have 25 pitchers,” Tony Rasmus said, “like he thinks he has to put his stamp on every ball game. They had nothing else to trade. I think everyone is better off now.”

Thanks to Chet.

Repoz Posted: July 28, 2011 at 03:23 PM | 140 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: blue jays, cardinals

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: July 28, 2011 at 09:16 PM (#3887913)
except that Bucky being dead since WWII was also a retcon. (technically it wasn't until the 70's that they said that the Bucky running around in the 50's comics was a different Bucky and Cap)

Till then, I'm pretty sure, they just ignored the '50s stuff (a few examples of which I probably read in the back of Marvel Super-Heroes in the late '60s before I ever actually started reading Captain America with Steranko's issues). My initial exposure to Cap would've been the awesome Sleeper saga as presented on those crude little straight-from-the-page cartoon adaptations on TV after school back when I was in 2nd grade. My exposure to the whole Bucky-falls-off-the-plane would've come from the great parody in Not Brand Ecch.

Bucky was dead then. Like Francisco Franco & the Monty Python parrot, he's still dead. You & the very overrated Ed Brubaker can put that in your crematoria & smoke it.
   102. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: July 28, 2011 at 09:25 PM (#3887919)
Although I think they're killing Ma and Pa Kent in the Superman reboot.

Geez ... those guys died back in the early '60s, didn't they? Seems to me that Pa has died twice more since, too.
   103. cardsfanboy Posted: July 28, 2011 at 09:27 PM (#3887920)
They all come back. Barry Allen, Bucky... everyone but Uncle Ben.

Although I think they're killing Ma and Pa Kent in the Superman reboot.

It's DC and Didio and Johns, so of course they are. These are guys who want everything exactly the same as they were in the 60's with just a lot more graphic death and violence in trying to reach their goals.(I'm willing to bet they want to One More Day Superman's marriage but can't because of it's mainstream popularity) Between them wiping out every ethnic hero(Firestorm, Atom, Etc) or replacing them with stereotypes(A black Aquaman who can't swim...not kidding) it's like the past 40 years have never happened.
   104. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 28, 2011 at 09:28 PM (#3887922)
I also don't know a single person who has a positive opinion of yourself. You fit right in with Knight and Calipari for being hated d-bags. congrats.

Jeeze, you gotta lighten up.

SBB is nowhere near that bad, Sure, he's wrong sometimes, IMHO, and will beat a dead horse, but who here doesn't.

Having been on the receiving end of some rather nasty invective, I'd have to say this site is really bad at picking its whipping boys. The consensus "hated" posters, aren't generally in the top 50% for a**holery.
   105. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: July 28, 2011 at 09:32 PM (#3887925)
I'm willing to bet they want to One More Day Superman's marriage but can't because of it's mainstream popularity

My understanding is that the marriage is going away with the big company-wide reboot ... Not that I've paid any real attention to Superman or the rest of the mainstream DC or Marvel universes (with Cap being an obvious exception) since roughly 1969 (speaking of "guys who want everything exactly the same as they were in the '60s").
   106. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: July 28, 2011 at 09:51 PM (#3887937)

I'd rather have Bobby Knight leading 18-22 year olds than a charlatan like John Calipari,

Isn't that cherrypicking? Would you rather have Knight or Krzyzewski?
   107. mex4173 Posted: July 28, 2011 at 09:57 PM (#3887942)
My understanding is that the marriage is going away with the big company-wide reboot

Yes.
   108. Harmon "Thread Killer" Microbrew Posted: July 28, 2011 at 10:38 PM (#3887960)
Jays planning to reach out to Tony Rasmus, according to National Post, in an effort to ensure that they understand the hitting terminology he and Colby have established: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/07/28/jays-look-to-build-bridge-with-rasmuss-father/
   109. Everybody Loves Tyrus Raymond Posted: July 28, 2011 at 11:00 PM (#3887969)
Helicopter father.
   110. Paul D(uda) Posted: July 28, 2011 at 11:01 PM (#3887970)
Yes, Ma and Pa used to be dead, but they were brought back with the Byrne reboot.

And they are One More Daying the marriage to Lane in the reboot.
   111. Matthew E Posted: July 28, 2011 at 11:41 PM (#3887985)
Yay! A comic book discussion.

Between them wiping out every ethnic hero(Firestorm, Atom, Etc)

They're bringing them back, though! Jason Rusch and Ronnie Raymond are sharing the Firestorm identity now, and Ryan Choi is going to be the Atom in the new JLA comic. Plus Jaime Reyes and Static and Mr. Terrific and Batwing are getting their own comics... it's not all bad.

And, best of all, there are going to be four monthly Legion of Super-Heroes comics this fall.
   112. mex4173 Posted: July 28, 2011 at 11:52 PM (#3887989)
They're bringing them back, though! Jason Rusch and Ronnie Raymond are sharing the Firestorm identity now, and Ryan Choi is going to be the Atom in the new JLA comic. Plus Jaime Reyes and Static and Mr. Terrific and Batwing are getting their own comics... it's not all bad.

But not Cassandra Cain.

edit: Not that she was dead, just strung along.
   113. Matthew E Posted: July 28, 2011 at 11:57 PM (#3887991)
Gail Simone keeps hinting that there may be some role for Cass Cain, but we don't know what it is. If nothing else Grant Morrison may keep using her as Blackbat in Batman Inc.
   114. mex4173 Posted: July 29, 2011 at 12:05 AM (#3887998)
Yes, and Stephanie Brown too, but at the moment I'm in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode. I know I should give things a chance, and I'm sure some stuff will be good, but things were already pretty good in the corner of the DCU I'm most interested in (Batman).

I am excited about the digital thing though. Perfect kick in my pants to stop using torrents for new releases. DC still has a long way to go to catch up to Marvel on the older stuff though.
   115. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: July 29, 2011 at 12:26 AM (#3888005)
And, best of all, there are going to be four monthly Legion of Super-Heroes comics this fall.

I certainly won't buy them new -- I can't in good conscience give Marvel or DC money any more than I could give a crack addict money (& also I'm constantly broke, which means I can't give Image or IDW or Boom or Dark Horse money, either, other than for the occasional TPB ... let's face it, the prices for individual issues are just plain insane) -- but obviously my cheap-back-issue-buying will soon need ratcheting up. Ouch.
   116. Paul D(uda) Posted: July 29, 2011 at 12:52 AM (#3888014)
I think that this DC reboot is just about the stupidest thing they've ever done. I"ll be sticking to indys and Vertigo. Scalped is amazing.
   117. Howie Menckel Posted: July 29, 2011 at 01:08 AM (#3888023)
"I don't know a single person who has a positive opinion of Calipari."

Ah, small world.

I know Calipari pretty well; spent a LOT of time with him for several years.

And I know many, many people who I get along with who also know him, and who to this day are driven into a blind rage at the mere mention of his name.

I think it was Sports Illustrated last year that finally did the first accurate, comprehensive piece on him.

It's like this: every negative said about him, pretty much, can be backed up by a series of facts and examples. I can see that, and why people add up those negatives and hate the guy.

I wasn't working for the guy, though, or expecting anything from him, I guess. He's not that complicated in many respects, so he can be seen for who he is. He is off-the-charts intense, 24-7. He is ALWAYS selling something: a recruit, an angle, a favor asked, whatever. I never once saw him exhale, basically, and I think that gets on a lot of people's nerves.

What the SI writer (or whoever it was) got is that if you can get past all the bad stuff (and most people can't, and that's okay), there's a little more to him than first appears. There are people from his past who he has done great things for and he actually didn't seek publicity about it (though he does that same thing a lot; just not always).

Major college sports is mostly a con artist's dream. Some are better at hiding that fact than others, while others are just better at it.

So do I have a positive opinion of him? I don't really have any opinion of most people. Just observations. People are fascinating.

Oh, some trivia: Calipari's wife's first husband was ex-Kansas QB and later NFL Ram Nolan Cromwell.
   118. phredbird Posted: July 29, 2011 at 02:56 AM (#3888050)
corey patterson played CF for the cardinals tonight and i just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
   119. Shibal Posted: July 29, 2011 at 03:09 AM (#3888051)
Kyle Lohse pinch hitting in the ninth was nice.
   120. just plain joe Posted: July 29, 2011 at 03:30 AM (#3888057)
"I don't know a single person who has a positive opinion of Calipari."

I obviously don't "know" Calipari but I have been a UK basketball fan for over 50 years. As I see it it is only a matter of time before the NCAA finds some violation(s) on Calipari's watch and comes down hard on the Kentucky basketball program. Calipari will then leave for another job and some other coach will have to come in and clean up the mess; essentially the same thing that happened back in the 80's with Eddie Sutton and Rick Pitino. I understand why UK wanted a "name" coach, after the Gillispie debacle, but they could have done a lot better.

I don't have an 18-22 year old son but if I did I wouldn't want Bob Knight within 500 miles of him. The man does know basketball but has serious anger management issues. I was an NCO in the military and if I had treated the troops under me like Knight treated his players, I would have been court martialed, and deservedly so.
   121. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: July 29, 2011 at 03:48 AM (#3888061)
Cool post, Howie.
   122. Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn) Posted: July 29, 2011 at 03:52 AM (#3888062)
Kyle Lohse pinch hitting in the ninth was nice.

This was a nice touch. Berkman was healthy enough to hit with a man on but too injured to hit with bases empty.
   123. base ball chick Posted: July 29, 2011 at 04:26 AM (#3888067)
i wouldn't want bob knight anywhers near one of my sons. i have always been surprised that none of the guys he's assaulted over the years took him down - he's not no ziva david/fiona you know. or even chuck norris

and dayn,
i guess TLR figured lance could swing with the bad shoulder but not run with it

there always seems to be SOMEone on TLR's shttlist. colby rasmus was supposed to be the next jim edmonds and somehow, he got caught in some kind of shtt throwing thingy between jocketty/luhnow/mozeliak/TLR and things went down from there.

his father sounds like that tiger mom bytch only with baseball
   124. cardsfanboy Posted: July 29, 2011 at 04:49 AM (#3888072)
Yes, and Stephanie Brown too,

glad to see I'm not the only one who loves the Spoiler(and other identities) Just considering the way they killed her off the first time, I'm not a fan of Didio's DC universe..

for the record my favorite DC character of all time.... Ted Kord's Blue beetle. Second favorite Dick Grayson nightwing(who Didio wanted to kill off and got overrode by the powers that be) third is Tim Drake(Robin/Red Robin) fourth is Stephanie Brown(Spoiler/Robin---that was f-ing stupid/Batgirl---best title of the past 12 months)
   125. cardsfanboy Posted: July 29, 2011 at 04:53 AM (#3888075)
corey patterson played CF for the cardinals tonight and i just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

defensively as a Cardinal fan, we haven't had a centerfielder this good since Edmonds(and that is a debate) but, I'm fairly certain that Corey Patterson played Right field, not center, he should be playing center when he starts, but in the time honored tradition of traditionalist, the starter gets preference over the better defender and Jay for whatever reason, is now the Cardinals starting centerfielder.
   126. cardsfanboy Posted: July 29, 2011 at 04:54 AM (#3888077)
Jays planning to reach out to Tony Rasmus, according to National Post, in an effort to ensure that they understand the hitting terminology he and Colby have established: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/07/28/jays-look-to-build-bridge-with-rasmuss-father/

and that alone to me is enough evidence that Tony Rasmus is too involved in his sons career. I mean seriously a new team needs to reach out to the dad? #### Tony Rasmus.
   127. cardsfanboy Posted: July 29, 2011 at 04:58 AM (#3888078)
This was a nice touch. Berkman was healthy enough to hit with a man on but too injured to hit with bases empty.

I was a little drunk tonite so I'm at a loss, what the #### is that supposed to mean? Berkman didn't bat, if you are implying he was on deck, well we needed two runners and on top of that many times the on deck guy is just a distraction to the other team under TLR. He's more than once put a guy who couldn't play on the on deck circle just to pull him when the guy came up to bat. If Berkman was on deck, the implication was an attempt to get the other pitcher to throw fast balls to the pitcher pinch hitting.
   128. KJOK Posted: July 29, 2011 at 05:04 AM (#3888082)
and that alone to me is enough evidence that Tony Rasmus is too involved in his sons career. I mean seriously a new team needs to reach out to the dad? #### Tony Rasmus.

Actually, it's what a good organization should do. They just acquired a valuable asset, and they're going to do everything they can to make sure it doesn't get devalued. Reaching out and making nice with Tony Rasmus is what La Russa failed to do, and it's exactly the smartest thing Toronto could do to start the relationship off on the right foot.
   129. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: July 29, 2011 at 05:21 AM (#3888089)
Actually, it's what a good organization should do. They just acquired a valuable asset, and they're going to do everything they can to make sure it doesn't get devalued. Reaching out and making nice with Tony Rasmus is what La Russa failed to do, and it's exactly the smartest thing Toronto could do to start the relationship off on the right foot.

Unless the members of the Blue Jay organization whose dads the Jays don't go to for permission on various things involving their sons start to wonder why this kid is so special and, as a result, the team has weakened its ability to manage 24 guys for the purpose of making it easier to manage one. Then, it might not look like such a brilliant idea.

Now we can pretend that the other Blue Jays should be mature and responsible and not concern themselves with the interactions between the club and one overinvolved dad. Sadly, though, they may be human and prone to bits of human frailty.

It's no guarantee, obviously*. But let's not pretend the efforts to reach out in this one special case don't come with potential drawbacks.

* Similarly, it's no guarantee that Tony Rasmus stops being Tony Rasmus just because the Jays made nice at the outset.
   130. cardsfanboy Posted: July 29, 2011 at 06:07 AM (#3888090)

really, the team should reach out to a high school coach and ask his permission on how to teach his kid to hit major league pitching, because high school and the pros are so similar?
I'm sorry, but reaching out to his dad should involve "we just got your kid, we respect what you did to get him to single a ball, but we are going to let the professionals handle it from now on, please stay away from message boards and have a good day"

The Cardinals drafted and signed his other kid in an attempt to pacify the a-hole, it didn't work, what makes anyone else think anything else is going to work except to leave his kid alone and watch him struggle, like the Cardinals did his first year in the majors? his dad teaches a strategy that is about inconsistency....basically he says take every pitch that is an off speed pitch, then swing at every fastball like you are going to send it to the moon. Works great when the other teams scouting report is "alternate between fastballs and curveballs over the center of the plate" doesn't work so well when it involves "throw nothing but breaking balls in random ass locations".
   131. Jim Kaat on a hot Gene Roof Posted: July 29, 2011 at 06:14 AM (#3888092)
Actually, it's what a good organization should do.

For sure. But blaming Tony Rasmus for the whole mess is just latest thing cfb must do to polish his TLR statue. Nothing else matters.

BTW, even if Carpenter and Pujols said what cfb says they said, they are likely just expressing relief that the situation/drama is over, not relief that the oh-so-wicked Rasmuses were shipped out of St. Louis.

Regarding Rasmus in the clubhouse, there's this: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_48a28881-3720-5984-bd2f-9a0977ef6551.html

I don't doubt that Tony Rasmus is an #######, or that he's permanently messed-up his children in a Lohan Family sort of way. But that's the way it is and it was up to the Cardinals to accept it and deal with it in a constructive way. They would not because of TLR's bullheadedness.

People in St. Louis are already comparing this to the Andy Van Slyke trade, and since the TLR idolizers here love to cite THAT trade as a point of evidence in Whitey Herzog's supposed inferiority to their precious Don Tony, I'm gonna make a few pre-emptive rebuttals:

1. Herzog might have given Rasmus away, too, but not for the same reason (pride, cussedness, ego) that LaRussa did. The one type of player that Herzog could never evaluate -- or better to say, always undervalued -- were players whose physicality and talent set (I'm NOT saying talent LEVEL) resembled his own as a player: white, lanky, good-glove, speedy outfielders. Moreover, the only players Herzog got rid of for "personal" reasons were those who had such substance abuse problems that it affected their own play AND caused clubhouse problems; examples are John Mayberry and Kieth Hernandez.

2. One of the most famous turn-arounds by a player in a Cardinals season was in 1985 when John Tudor went something like 20-1 after going 1-7, and that turn-around was owed in total to a very Tony Rasmus type figure, an old high school coach of Tudor's who'd noticed a hitch in his delivery that neither Herzog, pitching coach Mike Roarke, anyone else among Cardinals brass nor even Tudor himself had previously noticed. Plainly outside consultants a la Tony Rasmus were not unwelcome in those days, in that regime.

It's very "stathead" to accept the principle that some players might need coaching from consultants other than the field staff, and that those players should have access to such consultants if they feel they need it. I think it's safe to say TLR rejects this principle tout court and the reason is as simple as territoriality. For years I've been equivocal in my opinion of TLR, considering him neither the evil being that certain jackasses at BP thought he was (remember when TLR was most certainly a "racist"? Good times), nor the OMG Holy Tony figure cfb has long asserted he is. I thought he was good, not great, but overrated by a large cross-section of fan types. But this last episode has turned me completely against him; whatever good he once was, he's fossilized into something ugly, had way too much power when the transformation, if that's what it was, took place, and it might cost the Cardinals a decade of crappy teams to clean up the mess.
   132. Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn) Posted: July 29, 2011 at 07:04 AM (#3888095)
Berkman didn't bat, if you are implying he was on deck, well we needed two runners and on top of that many times the on deck guy is just a distraction to the other team under TLR.

Berkman was on deck. Goold refers to him as a "decoy" in his write-up, so I'll concede the point. With that said, you're in a pennant race and you're facing a closer with some control issues, so the game is worth pursuing even with a two-run deficit and no one on. On another level, it's the ####### Astros (sorry, Lisa).

And enough with Ryan ####### Theriot already.
   133. Everybody Loves Tyrus Raymond Posted: July 29, 2011 at 08:59 AM (#3888102)
#131:

Overreact much?
   134. asdf1234 Posted: July 29, 2011 at 10:24 AM (#3888109)
There's little doubt that Rasmus is a spoiled brat, as every fan interaction I've read indicates that he's obnoxious and lives in the bubble of entitlement typically inhabited by quarterbacks in Texas. He also happens to be a player capable of putting up a three-win season at the ages of 22 & 23. A good manager learns to live with headaches in return for inexpensive production, but that's just not something that TLR can do.

Had it been anyone other than Tony pulling the strings, I might be willing to believe that Rasmus was a latter-day Joey Belle and that he was poisoning the clubhouse beyond repair. The problem that I'm having is that TLR is almost certainly more obnoxious than Rasmus could ever hope to be--he's surly, arrogant, dismissive of the fanbase, his interviews are mumbling, incoherent, defensive messes, he alienates useful players (never scrubs, for some reason, but always useful talents like Ryan or Rasmus) with astonishing regularity, he regularly incites arguments with or in the media, and his tactical skills are charitably average. Fortunately for him, he's been blessed with the world's best pitching coach, unrelenting and unforgivable support from his bosses (who don't know enough about the game to understand why you shouldn't start Shawon Dunston in CF instead of JD Drew), and significant budgets. His incompetence and abrasiveness are not only overlooked, but praised and rewarded.

His most unforgivable sin, however, is that he sucks the fun out of the game. Whether it's the endless, pointless, merciless pitching changes, the monkeying with the lineup, the mind games and media wars with talented young players, or his belief that mediocre middle infielders can and should play any position on the diamond, his career in St. Louis has been an assault on the aesthetics and joy of baseball. Once upon a time that irritant was mitigated by HOF talents like Pujols, Edmonds, and Rolen. Now that Pujols has aged 5 years overnight, Rasmus has been ditched for a dozen starts of 105 ERA+ ball, and Theriot spends every evening standing in the position historically occupied by a shortstop, I can't say that there's anything about this team--the team that TLR designed, fought, and whined for--that is the least bit exciting.
   135. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM (#3888119)
His most unforgivable sin, however, is that he sucks the fun out of the game. Whether it's the endless, pointless, merciless pitching changes, the monkeying with the lineup, the mind games and media wars with talented young players, or his belief that mediocre middle infielders can and should play any position on the diamond, his career in St. Louis has been an assault on the aesthetics and joy of baseball.

This. Tony LaRussa should spend 100,000 years in purgatory just for his invention of the modern bullpen. I find his lawerly over-managing to be a blight on baseball.

If I could implement any rule change, my second choice would be to undo his bullpen cluster-***. The first would be keep batters in the box between pitches, and enforce a time limit on pitchers to pitch. But right after that, would be, all RPs must face at least 3 batters, unless injured. If you use the injury exception, the pitcher must go on the DL.

Edit: Oh, and no more than 11 pitchers on the 25 man roster at one time.
   136. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: July 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM (#3888123)
glad to see I'm not the only one who loves the Spoiler(and other identities) Just considering the way they killed her off the first time, I'm not a fan of Didio's DC universe..

As of 6 months or so ago, other than a 3-issue arc of Batman Confidential that Kevin Maguire drew a couple of years ago, I'm pretty I'd read nothing Bat-related since about 1970 ... but I chanced across an issue of Batgirl with Supergirl guesting at Books-a-Million, sat down & read it, & was pretty impressed. I've since managed to amass most of the series, & while I haven't read any of the early issues that were part of the "Battle for the Cowl" (or whatever) stunt nonsense, I've been really impressed.
   137. Paul D(uda) Posted: July 29, 2011 at 12:35 PM (#3888129)
Ted Kord's Blue beetle.

Is there anything ####### stupider than the whole Maxwell Lord is a bad guy thing? #### DC
   138. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: July 29, 2011 at 01:20 PM (#3888142)
Is there anything ####### stupider than the whole Maxwell Lord is a bad guy thing? #### DC

Only about every other thing they've done for the last several years. If corporate America didn't have this insane attachment to incompetents (they seem to treasure them even more than the bottom line, which frankly stuns me, though I'm sure our resident capitalist groupies can explain it away), Didio would probaby be selling pencils on a street corner somewhere. And doing a really, really bad job of that, too.
   139. mex4173 Posted: July 29, 2011 at 04:24 PM (#3888263)

As of 6 months or so ago, other than a 3-issue arc of Batman Confidential that Kevin Maguire drew a couple of years ago, I'm pretty I'd read nothing Bat-related since about 1970 ... but I chanced across an issue of Batgirl with Supergirl guesting at Books-a-Million, sat down & read it, & was pretty impressed. I've since managed to amass most of the series, & while I haven't read any of the early issues that were part of the "Battle for the Cowl" (or whatever) stunt nonsense, I've been really impressed.

There was no tie-in with the book. They may have had Batman: Reborn on the cover, but that wasn't an event per se, just a marketing term for the [then new] status quo. The first few issues did make more reference to Batgirl's history as Spoiler, but I wouldn't call it continuity heavy.
   140. Matthew E Posted: July 29, 2011 at 06:08 PM (#3888397)
I'm going to miss Stephanie Brown as Batgirl too; Bryan Q. Miller has been doing a terrific job on that series and I don't understand how DC doesn't have any work for him post-relaunch.
   141. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: July 29, 2011 at 06:22 PM (#3888413)

There was no tie-in with the book. They may have had Batman: Reborn on the cover, but that wasn't an event per se, just a marketing term for the [then new] status quo. The first few issues did make more reference to Batgirl's history as Spoiler, but I wouldn't call it continuity heavy.

That's good to know. Clearly, I need to dig those out & read them. Other than Power Girl (which I gather is also going away in yet another genius move by Dan "The Drooling Cretin Who Gave Us 'One Year Later' & 'Amazons Attack'" Didio), this has been probably my favorite DC series of the last year or so.
   142. Matthew E Posted: July 29, 2011 at 06:36 PM (#3888433)
The good news is that the new Batgirl series is being written by Gail Simone, who is a) good at this, b) on our side, and c) can certainly be trusted with the character of Barbara Gordon. She's also fond of both Cass Cain and Stephanie Brown. So things might actually come out okay.
   143. cardsfanboy Posted: July 29, 2011 at 06:38 PM (#3888436)
For sure. But blaming Tony Rasmus for the whole mess is just latest thing cfb must do to polish his TLR statue. Nothing else matters.

I'm not sure that there is anywhere on this thread where I blamed Tony Rasmus for the whole mess. I defended TLR, yes that is true, but I don't wholy blame anyone it's bit and piece from everyone. My defense of TLR has been that even though he didn't get along with Colby, he still played him more than anyone on the roster not named Pujols over the past three seasons (Pujols and Holliday last year, and Pujols and Schumaker in 2009 are the only players who played more each of the previous season than Rasmus)

I blame Tony Rasmus for as someone else pointed out, being a helicopter dad. I don't buy his story that he hasn't coached his son in over a year, and I think he is getting involved too much in the day to day life of a 24 year old man. I also have pointed out plenty of players who have had issues with TLR on this thread so it's not like I am saying TLR is perfect, and I pointed out other superstar players who have had problems with other managers in the past to point out that it's not something related to just TLR(and heck I completely forgot about Andy Van Slyke)

TLR is who he is, an intense manager who wants his player to play hard, use their brains, and take the game seriously when on the field. It rubs some players the wrong way, but considering that this Rasmus and TLR thing has been going on for over a year, it doesn't seem to affect his ability to put him in the lineup.

I'm going to miss Stephanie Brown as Batgirl too; Bryan Q. Miller has been doing a terrific job on that series and I don't understand how DC doesn't have any work for him post-relaunch.

The current series of Batgirl was probably the best pure comic book on the market, a good mixture of action, character development and humor with stories that aren't decompressed to the point that you feel like you are reading the transcript of a soccer game(yes Bendis I'm talking about you---five freaking pages of Cage and his wife arguing with six panels per page, that could have been done just as well with two panels total)

Agree with gef about pretty much everything in the past several years. The Omac is such a stupid concept---hey we can send a radio signal out and turn 6million random people into superhuman fighting machines that individually can take on a green lantern. Then you have the Red Shirt lanterns(no I don't mean red lanterns, I mean the proliferation of hundreds if not thousands of lanterns who entire purpose is to die while watching the same 15 green lanterns save the day) and of course Superman renouncing his US citenzenship because he wanted to follow the advice of a 3 Doors Down song and took a walk around the world(USA). And don't get me started on the monstrosity of Cry for Justice(beautiful artwork for a series, seemingly written by a 15 year old shut in) or how they treated the last days of Dwayne McDuffie......end rant.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.