Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Rays, Neander Time To Shift Focus To Building 2018 Roster

GM speaks. Read the whole thing.

“No, this was something we categorize much more so as a pure baseball decision. Given what was put to us and how we valued it was something that a couple of guys that are not far off from the big leagues to add to what we have to build that momentum.

The moves prior to this one were things that factors involved there were moving pieces from areas of depth that we felt we could absorb and come out the other side o.k. Especially with the addition of C.J. [Cron] to our group there.

This one here, was one that was really initiated and driven by Arizona’s pursuit of Steven and their desire to add him to their club.

It’s certaionly something we weren’t out there looking to accomplish but basically at the end of the day here something was put to us that we felt we couldn’t pass up in terms of continuing to build out our really strong core.”

Jim Furtado Posted: February 21, 2018 at 05:45 AM | 27 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: rays

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. I Am Not a Number Posted: February 21, 2018 at 07:35 AM (#5627844)
Which Florida team wins more games in 2018? Do either win any?
   2. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 21, 2018 at 07:57 AM (#5627854)
Which Florida team will get more free money in 2018?
   3. Brian Posted: February 21, 2018 at 08:15 AM (#5627857)
Will the two Florida teams win more games than the best record in baseball this year? What a load of mumbleswerve that interview is. Tough to be a Rays (or Marlins) fan these days.
   4. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: February 21, 2018 at 08:28 AM (#5627862)
I give Tampa the benefit of the doubt, since 2008 they've been competitive more often than not. They seem to have a pretty good handle on what they are doing. The Marlins are just an embarrassment. I don't have any faith in their ability to put anything together.
   5. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: February 21, 2018 at 08:44 AM (#5627870)
Given what was put to us and how we valued it was something that a couple of guys that are not far off from the big leagues to add to what we have to build that momentum

Huh??
   6. Nasty Nate Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:06 AM (#5627879)
I have never heard of Neander Time, so I have decided it is a euphemism for a tear-down/sell-off/re-build.

If the Orioles are way out of the playoff picture by July, they will likely trade Machado and then it will be Neander Time in Baltimore for a while.
   7. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:19 AM (#5627892)
I give Tampa the benefit of the doubt, since 2008 they've been competitive more often than not. They seem to have a pretty good handle on what they are doing.

The DFA-ing of Dickerson makes that tough. To just cut one of your 3 best hitters to save his arb salary stinks to high heaven.
   8. I Am Not a Number Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:24 AM (#5627893)
We can't afford a major league caliber catcher, so we have signed Neander Thole.
   9. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:27 AM (#5627895)
We can't afford a major league caliber catcher, so we have signed Neander Thole.

Primey!
   10. dlf Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:28 AM (#5627898)

Hmmm, both Florida State and UofM have historically been among the nation's best college programs. I have lost track in recent years, but my vote would be one of them rather than the Marlins or Rays.

I'm not sure which is worse, being a fan of the Rays/Marlins where they are up front about their intentional suckage, or being a fan of the recent Braves who try to tell us Atlanta fans that, "we clearly are competing; look, we've added all-stars like Brandon Phillips, Bartolo Colon, Jason Grilli, and Matt Kemp."
   11. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: February 21, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5627906)
Tampa and Miami play a three game series against each other around the 4th of July, so the answer to question #2 is: probably!
   12. Nasty Nate Posted: February 21, 2018 at 10:12 AM (#5627919)
Tampa and Miami play a three game series against each other around the 4th of July, so the answer to question #2 is: probably!
I challenge anyone to right now predict more than 2 of the 18 starters in that Independence Day game!
   13. McCoy Posted: February 21, 2018 at 10:17 AM (#5627923)
I couldn't name 2 players using either roster right now.
   14. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: February 21, 2018 at 10:26 AM (#5627936)
Realmuto is still on the Marlins and they got Starlin Castro in the Yankees trade, so that's two. Can't think of any of their pitchers.

Rays still have Kiermaier and Archer and Alex Colome.

I guess LoMo and Alex Cobb (AlCo?) haven't signed with anyone yet. Maybe they come back on 1-year deals.
   15. sotapop Posted: February 21, 2018 at 01:02 PM (#5628090)
I love how the guy talks about how they're gonna win with pitching and defense (which to be fair is really good). But that's all you can say when you'd dumped every single power hitter on the team. Seriously. I'm a Rays fan and I can't name one guy who I'd expect to hit 20 HR this season.
   16. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: February 21, 2018 at 01:26 PM (#5628125)
I'm a Rays fan and I can't name one guy who I'd expect to hit 20 HR this season.

Oh, I'm sure you could name a bunch of guys who you'd expect to hit 20 HR this season. It's just that none of them play for the Rays.
   17. geonose Posted: February 21, 2018 at 01:34 PM (#5628135)
And yet, PECOTA still loves them and has them as a playoff team
   18. Batman Posted: February 21, 2018 at 01:36 PM (#5628137)
Given what was put to us and how we valued it was something that a couple of guys that are not far off from the big leagues to add to what we have to build that momentum

Huh??
I don't see the problem. The sentence is as plain as what was put to him nose on the back of his hand to build that answer.
   19. Rally Posted: February 21, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5628210)
Oh, I'm sure you could name a bunch of guys who you'd expect to hit 20 HR this season. It's just that none of them play for the Rays.

I'll take the over on somebody hitting 20 for the Rays next year. I just don't know who. Last year 117 players, almost 4 per team, topped 20 homers. Most likely candidates:

Brad Miller, who hit 30 2 years ago
C.J. Cron, if he plays enough
Wilson Ramos, if healthy
Jake Bauers, if he plays enough
Ryan Schmipf, if he plays enough
Kevin Kiermaier, who hit 15 last year in only 98 games.

Other than Ramos and Kiermaier, the other guys are not locks to get a lot of playing time or might miss 20 homers because they are platooned. But one thing we can be sure is they can form a platoon at first, or third, or DH, or either corner outfield, but they can't platoon at all of those spots. Like every other team they'll use their roster for a deep bullpen and not Earl Weaver style platoons. So a couple of the guys on that list will wind up with regular playing time, and at least one or two of them is going to crack 20 dingers. Not that it's even a big deal, last year the average MLB player per 600 PA hit 20 homers.

20. sotapop Posted: February 21, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5628238)
Billy/ElRoy: Ha. OK, grinning at that one.

Rally, yeah, but as you wrote, one hell of a lot of "ifs" there. Kiermaier is the best bet; his game seems to be improving each year. Ramos, maybe, health concerns as you note.

Miller looked totally lost last season, nothing like the hitter I watched the previous year. I'm hopeful about Bauers, but they'll probably waste 300 PA on Miller at 1B first.

Gotta admit I didn't look at the new guys. Cron, yeah, good bet, but again, he'll take AB from someone else. Shimpf, maybe, but good Lord I don't want 400 AB of .200 AVG for 25 HR.
   21. PreservedFish Posted: February 21, 2018 at 03:21 PM (#5628240)

For real?
   22. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 21, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5628250)

Is Pecota a credible projection system these days? Fangraphs has them at 78 wins. Not sure if that is using Steamer only, or if Zips has been incorporated yet.
   23. jmurph Posted: February 21, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5628253)
Oh my god I thought the PECOTA reference was to BPro always liking them in the past, but no, they actually have them at 84 wins, good for the 2nd Wild Card. That was updated today.
   24. PreservedFish Posted: February 21, 2018 at 03:49 PM (#5628256)
#23 can you fill in some of the details? Just looking over their roster and it looks like a 70-win team. Keirmaier is great, Archer is great, and Snell/Faria have potential, but the infield is an embarrassment, Span/Mallex are two 5th outfielders starting ... I mean, it looks rough.
   25. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 21, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5628269)
#23 can you fill in some of the details? Just looking over their roster and it looks like a 70-win team. Keirmaier is great, Archer is great, and Snell/Faria have potential, but the infield is an embarrassment, Span/Mallex are two 5th outfielders starting ... I mean, it looks rough.

Zips looks to have them at about 30 WAR. What's that, like 70 wins?
   26. jmurph Posted: February 21, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5628285)

I'm out of my element with BPro stats, but looks like Kiermaier and Archer with good years (4.0 and 3.5 WARP, respectively), and not a whole lot else! Good starting pitching (everyone projecting to be solid after Archer, 2-5). 2nd best position players is tie between Ramos and Duffy, and they don't look great. I don't understand it at all.

Hmmm some of it at least is defense: they have them as 2nd in the majors in FRAA (best in the AL, best in the division by a lot). No idea if that's a good bet or not.
   27. Walt Davis Posted: February 21, 2018 at 05:04 PM (#5628304)
30 WAR is 78 wins ... unless they've changed replacement level again or I've forgotten what the Great Treaty of Aught 9 set it at. (I actually think it was sometime after 09 but never pass up an opportunity to use "aught")

The Rays do seem to have some interesting looking young pitchers. And if Span has any wheels left whatsoever, an OF of Span, Kiermaier and Gomez should certainly go get them ... but I thought the analytics hubbub was that OF defense wasn't worth that much by statcast. Sheesh, Statcast hates Span, makes him the anti-Kiermaier so I'm guessing there's somebody else for LF.

C'mon now #7 ... the money they saved on Dickerson they spent on Cron; the money they saved on Souza they spent on Gomez; the money they saved on Longoria they spent on Lamborghinis; the money they saved letting Cobb walk they spent on a new vacation home. I hear everything left over is just going to be waved in front of YR's face until his head explodes.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
--
for his generous support.