Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

R.B.I. Baseball 2014 coming to Xbox 360, XBox One, iOS, Android

Developed by MLBAM, endorsed by MLB. Don’t get too excited though, its actually developed by 2K studios and the guys who made MLB2K, who recently announced that they canceled that series.

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/423288921590468608

Tripon Posted: January 14, 2014 at 11:15 PM | 209 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: video games

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 > 
   1. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: January 15, 2014 at 09:52 AM (#4639309)
This sounds like exactly the sort of thing that could/would lead to MLB getting grumpy about the updated NES ROMs that come out every year. And that would make me grumpy.
   2. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 15, 2014 at 10:20 AM (#4639327)
New gaming thread!

Anyone use Steam's Big Picture" mode? I haven't but I'm curious about how it works.
   3. Greg K Posted: January 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM (#4639337)
I'm probably missing something, as per usual, but Big Picture appears to me to just be a different way of navigating your game catalogue to make it look more like Xbox.
   4. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 15, 2014 at 10:59 AM (#4639364)
I'm not sure, I thought it was a way of setting up your Steam front-end to run the games more easily on a 16x9 TV and with a game controller rather than a keyboard and mouse. I wasn't exactly sure what the specifics were or how well it worked.
   5. The Good Face Posted: January 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM (#4639415)
I'm not sure, I thought it was a way of setting up your Steam front-end to run the games more easily on a 16x9 TV and with a game controller rather than a keyboard and mouse. I wasn't exactly sure what the specifics were or how well it worked.

It's just the Steam UI for the console/TV crowd, and is meant to work with a controller. Unless you're gung ho for the whole "Steam Box Console" thing, it can probably be safely ignored.
   6. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM (#4639420)
Gotcha. I'm going to have the house to myself for a week in February and was contemplating hooking my rig up to the 60-inch in the living room for kicks, so I wanted to see what the value of the service was. Thanks for the feedback.
   7. hokieneer Posted: January 15, 2014 at 12:29 PM (#4639478)
So is this our new gaming thread home?

So 2K has officially cancelled the MLB2K series? I know their 3rd party rights are up this year, but I didn't' realize they were getting out the business completely.

Maybe EA steps back up to the plate and tries to revive the MVP franchise for the new generation of consoles.
   8. hee came hee seop'd he choi'd Posted: January 15, 2014 at 12:30 PM (#4639481)
The baseball games 2K churned out year after year were terrible. I literally bought a ps3 so I could play mlb the show as it was a ps exclusive.
   9. The Good Face Posted: January 15, 2014 at 01:05 PM (#4639522)
So is this our new gaming thread home?

Sure, why not.

Anybody played through Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons yet? I finished it and can't decide whether it was bold and groundbreaking, or cynically manipulative, or maybe both.
   10. Poster Nutbag Posted: January 15, 2014 at 01:09 PM (#4639528)
It's just the Steam UI for the console/TV crowd, and is meant to work with a controller. Unless you're gung ho for the whole "Steam Box Console" thing, it can probably be safely ignored.

This.

It's fun to fiddle with though. In your scenario, I'd give it a whirl to see how you like it. Consider it an early dip into the Steam Machine-World!

Sorry I have not been able to game as much lately. Hope I have not missed out on too much fun.
   11. Moe Greene Posted: January 15, 2014 at 01:21 PM (#4639555)
I've been getting back into Torchlight 2 again over the past week. Has anyone played co-op in Torchlight 2? If so, how is it?
   12. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 15, 2014 at 01:29 PM (#4639567)
Oooh, co-op Torchlight 2 could be fun, like Gauntlet but way better. I don't have a copy (I played the first one), probably should have picked it up for $5 on the Steam Winter Sale but hard choices had to be made. Lemme know if it's as fun as suspected.
   13. hokieneer Posted: January 15, 2014 at 01:42 PM (#4639586)
Sure, why not.

Only if someone can show me how to see more than my last 5 bookmarks. Lots of valuable information in our old game threads.

Anybody played through Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons yet? I finished it and can't decide whether it was bold and groundbreaking, or cynically manipulative, or maybe both.

It's going to be a free game for PS+ members sometime this month. If I keep seeing more and more statement like that describing it, I might just have to play it. Is it a relatively short game?
   14. The Good Face Posted: January 15, 2014 at 01:46 PM (#4639590)
It's going to be a free game for PS+ members sometime this month. If I keep seeing more and more statement like that describing it, I might just have to play it. Is it a relatively short game?

The whole game shouldn't take more than 4 hours or so to complete. It's VERY short.
   15. Poster Nutbag Posted: January 15, 2014 at 01:50 PM (#4639593)
Only if someone can show me how to see more than my last 5 bookmarks. Lots of valuable information in our old game threads.

Save the old threads as a bookmark in your web browser. You will not be able to see when a new post has been added, but at least it'll be there.
   16. Heinie Mantush (Krusty) Posted: January 15, 2014 at 01:57 PM (#4639599)

Save the old threads as a bookmark in your web browser. You will not be able to see when a new post has been added, but at least it'll be there.

I wound up looking through my bookmarks (I hadn't in forever), and I found this BBTF thread saved.
   17. BFFB Posted: January 15, 2014 at 02:39 PM (#4639642)

I'd tend to go with a bit of both. The way the game handles the controls is pretty interesting but the story is both well worn, clearly personal (based on the studio Creative Directors experiences) and incredibly earnest. I guess how much you like the story will depend on how much you like things with the same kind of tone as Shawshank Redemption.
   18. hokieneer Posted: January 15, 2014 at 02:41 PM (#4639646)

That's a good idea. I don't really want to see the posts on the older threads, just the active one. There has been a lot of recommendations, tips, helps, mini-reviews, PC building guides, etc in our past threads, so good to keep around.

Maybe this will finally be the motivation for me to use chrome to sync my bookmarks across machines. I just had to rebuild my home office PC from an image this past weekend and lost a few months of bookmarks in the process.
   19. Dan Evensen Posted: January 15, 2014 at 02:50 PM (#4639655)
Going back to #1, I would be really surprised if MLB ever cared about the group that does a yearly hack of the old RBI Baseball ROM, which, at best, has a very limited appeal. Plus, as long as that hacked ROM is not being distributed for profit, I doubt they'd have much of a court case. I'd be more worried about the creators of the yearly hack growing bored with their project.
   20. Xander Posted: January 15, 2014 at 03:45 PM (#4639698)
Are you sure this is only coming to Xbox One and 360 or is that just an extremely poorly worded thread title? I'm pretty sure it's coming to all platforms.
   21. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 15, 2014 at 04:30 PM (#4639726)
I haven't played non-sports video games in years, but I've been playing Lego City: Undercover with my kid since Christmas and its a blast. It makes me want to get Grand Theft Auto for myself.
   22. Langer Monk Posted: January 15, 2014 at 04:36 PM (#4639741)
GTA V is quite a bit of fun, and I've only had it for about 2 weeks. Still not even played GTA Online yet. I stole a firetruck last night, ran over some cops, chased by a helicopter, switched vehicles, lost them on the highway on the western side, decided to stop traffic with a different truck, then fired into the pile up of cars behind me, to lead to another long highway chase... oh and held up an armored truck guy for cash. Huge open world sandbox of fun.
   23. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 15, 2014 at 04:45 PM (#4639756)
Anyone tried Just Cause 2? It's supposed to provide GTA5-level mayhem complete with online multuplayer, but I haven't even sniffed around it. I did purchase it for $5 on the Steam sale but that just means it goes on the pile with the other games I hope to get around to some day.
   24. Dingbat_Charlie Posted: January 15, 2014 at 04:51 PM (#4639766)
I finally finished the Half-Life 2 series yesterday. This isn't news to anybody but wow, what a wonderful game, and the ending got me a little verklempt. Somehow I didn't see it coming.
   25. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: January 15, 2014 at 04:52 PM (#4639768)
Maybe this will finally be the motivation for me to use chrome to sync my bookmarks across machines. I just had to rebuild my home office PC from an image this past weekend and lost a few months of bookmarks in the process.

Xmarks works well enough for me.
   26. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: January 15, 2014 at 05:06 PM (#4639790)
Gotcha. I'm going to have the house to myself for a week in February and was contemplating hooking my rig up to the 60-inch in the living room for kicks, so I wanted to see what the value of the service was. Thanks for the feedback.

I've got my computer connected to my television as well as a normal monitor - freaking sweet for streaming movies/shows through the internets. Word of advice, if you have not done it before, video cards prioritize their various outputs, so when I connected my television via HDMI and my older monitor via DVI, my monitor was completely black when I started up, nothing seeming to work. I had just installed the new video card so I figured something was off, but after loads of teeth gnashing and a beer or three I finally figured out that the HDMI port was seen as the primary display and the computer was starting just fine, it was just being displayed on my TV, which was off (and tuned to my cable box).
   27. Cblau Posted: January 15, 2014 at 09:47 PM (#4639996)
What about Xboxes 2 through 359? When are they going to get it?
   28. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: January 15, 2014 at 10:17 PM (#4640013)
Anybody played through Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons yet?

I've played through some of it, but I really dislike the experience. It turns out I don't like games that go out of their way to make it hard to control the characters. I realize it's the point of the game, but so far, I have not experienced any emergent storytelling; I've just been annoyed. I reached a point where I was really hoping the game was over, but it just started a new scene. And I haven't forced myself back into it yet.
   29. Dan Evensen Posted: January 15, 2014 at 10:35 PM (#4640021)
I'll be excited if it comes out for all platforms, since all I own is a PS3. Then again, my suspicion is that it would just be a localization of Jikkyou Pawafuru Puroyakyo 2013, which I already own (and was playing with my 4 year old son about 15 minutes ago).
   30. madvillain Posted: January 15, 2014 at 10:48 PM (#4640029)
Still waiting for the first really good bundle/sale on the next gen consoles in order to pull the trigger on one. If they did a Gran Turismo bundle for PS4 for $399 I'd pick it up without hesitation. If they did a Fifa 14 bundle for Xbox (or dropped the price $50) I'd seriously consider picking one up as well.

Of course, MSFT has put themselves in a position where they can't really drop the price, they are already hundreds of millions in the hole on the Xbox division and the margin on each console they sell is razor thin. (although they make $28 per console compared to the PS4's $18 margin, their R&D costs are significantly higher). They are still going for a "long term living room domination" strategy but seemingly not at the cost of losing money on each console sold. With sales of Windows 8 laptops some of the worst of any OS launch in history, they are banking hard on XBOX, too hard.
   31. Bruce Chen's Huge Panamanian Robot Posted: January 15, 2014 at 11:16 PM (#4640038)
2K Studios has nothing to do with this game.
   32. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: January 16, 2014 at 01:53 AM (#4640091)
I've been getting back into Torchlight 2 again over the past week. Has anyone played co-op in Torchlight 2? If so, how is it?

Haven't played co-op yet, but I started playing it last weekend with the free trial that Steam had, then bought it for 4.99 and finished vanilla on Tuesday. Now I'm running through it with the Synergies mod installed and up one level of difficulty. Thought about changing class this time, but a repeat of punching the ever-loving-crap out of things as a berserker proved irresistible ...
   33. formerly dp Posted: January 16, 2014 at 08:34 AM (#4640119)
Steam's Big Picture mode is a nice option if you're doing any controller-based gaming on your PC. Nothing revolutionary, just makes the PC experience more like using a console. The design/interface is well-executed.
   34. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 16, 2014 at 09:59 AM (#4640141)
Steam's Big Picture mode is a nice option if you're doing any controller-based gaming on your PC.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I've been enjoying playing some emulator games with my daughter the last few weeks but I realize that's weak pixelated sauce. I'm playing through Witcher 2, a game that seems to be reasonably controller-friendly, and I started to think it might be especially glorious on the big screen with my sound system booming. The "Batman" games, none of which I've actually finished, also seem like good bets to be especially fun when played in this mode. I have no idea how cumbersome it would be to play a keyboard/mouse game in that configuration, I'm guessing the answer "pretty damn cumbersome" but figure it's worth a try too.

Aw heck, we're all just killing time until the Oculus Rift comes out, am I right?
   35. Paul d mobile Posted: January 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM (#4640146)
I enjoyed Brothers, although I thought the ending was a little Lord of the Rings. I thought that the puzzles were clever and just the right difficulty, and the combat, such as it was, was manageable. Plus the benches!
   36. Paul d mobile Posted: January 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM (#4640149)
I don't suppose anyone's played Banner Saga yet? It looks like a combination of x Com and Oregon trail.
   37. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 16, 2014 at 10:15 AM (#4640151)
I've been playing Borderlands 2 recently, up to level 11. What level is everyone else who's been playing?

I also really enjoyed the Stanley Parable, I'd played the original HL2 mod but got the official release for my birthday. It does great stuff with storytelling and player choice. Better written than most other games out there too.
   38. The Good Face Posted: January 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM (#4640169)
I've played through some of it, but I really dislike the experience. It turns out I don't like games that go out of their way to make it hard to control the characters. I realize it's the point of the game, but so far, I have not experienced any emergent storytelling; I've just been annoyed. I reached a point where I was really hoping the game was over, but it just started a new scene. And I haven't forced myself back into it yet.

Yeah, I struggled with the controls as well; for a game that only requires the use of the two thumbsticks and two trigger buttons, it was surprisingly hard to get comfortable. I don't think I ever really settled in, there was always that "having to think about what I'm doing" sensation to playing the game.

Plus the benches!

The benches were pretty sweet.
   39. starksy Posted: January 16, 2014 at 10:41 AM (#4640172)
I don't suppose anyone's played Banner Saga yet? It looks like a combination of x Com and Oregon trail.

Backed the Kickstarter and spent about 50 hours on the multiplayer (Banner Saga: Factions) and started single player last night.

The goal from the developers was a King of Dragon Pass/X-Com type mesh (X-Com type battle, Dragon Pass type storyline where the "choices matter"). Some choices you make will help you in the next battle, some hurt; units may need to rest between battles depending on difficulty. The Banner Saga youtube page has some short video's showing sample choices and some basic mechanics.

Multiplayer had 12 classes, you picked your team of six with some restrictions on how many of a certain unit type, and fight fight fight. Fixed a lot of balance issues during the playtesting so I think the mechanics are pretty solid. I think the multiplayer is free to play (you can spend money to get advances, but really not necessary; then again, since I was testing, I might have bypassed a lot of the early grind)

The thing I loved in the multiplayer is there is very little "chance." The only time you might miss someone is if your strength (offense/life) is lower than their armor (defense), and even then, it's usually 60-90% to hit. In all of my multiplayer matches (around 80 or so), I could clearly say, here's where I made a mistake and lost. Rarely felt cheated by the random number god (Blood Bowl, on the other hand...). The art and the music are really top notch as well, if you're in to that art style.
   40. Poster Nutbag Posted: January 16, 2014 at 02:45 PM (#4640437)
I have been messing around over here lately. Pretty neat place to win free games, or trade if that's your thing. I've mainly been trying to win/giving away stuff. My current giveaway is an Origin key for BF3. It's a great place to make sure your unused keys do not go to waste.
   41. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 16, 2014 at 03:12 PM (#4640474)
Re: #37/Borderlands 2

I got up to level 21 thanks to all the off time I had at the holidays before I realized I needed to start a different character purely for solo play so I wouldn't blow way way past everyone else with the original (the new one is 26 already). I think that as long as I join someone else's game instead of them joining mine then me being the higher level won't be a real big issue.

On that subject, Scott/YR/Hokieneer/Nutbag, maybe we could organize a four player game sometime soon? Between the five of us we can probably find a common time to get a full game at some point. Tonight works well for me, probably 5 or 6 EST until 8:30ish, or tomorrow night would be even better since I could stay up for it pretty much as long as I wanted (that pesky 5 am wakeup on weekdays limits my late night schedule the rest of the weeknights)
   42. Poster Nutbag Posted: January 16, 2014 at 03:19 PM (#4640485)
41 - I haven't been able to get in for a while (I think I'm only level 8 or 9ish?), but I'd love to join up. I can clear the time tomorrow for sure. The wife leaves for work around 5:00 PST, so I will be pretty free after that for the rest of the night.
   43. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 16, 2014 at 03:26 PM (#4640495)
Jim I should actually have ample time this weekend, assuming your schedule does not conflict with my need to finish the final 4 episodes of Game of Thrones Season 3. I think formerly dp is ready to start playing again too, it'd be nice to get a game going with 4 Primates.
   44. hokieneer Posted: January 16, 2014 at 03:36 PM (#4640501)
Jim/All

I'm down to join either tonight or tomorrow for some BL2. Got my PC restored, and Borderlands 2 back up in an operational state after the Black Screen of Death. Still dealing with the poisoned water, so it'll likely be later this evening after I grab a safe shower and maybe do some laundry at a friends place.
   45. A Fatty Cow That Need Two Seats Posted: January 16, 2014 at 03:41 PM (#4640506)
What is everyone's experience with farm simulators?
   46. Manny Coon Posted: January 16, 2014 at 03:53 PM (#4640523)
I hadn't heard of Banner Saga, it looks pretty neat, I'll probably play it. It is supposed to be on GOG at some point right? They show a release date of a few days ago, but can't the game yet. I was also thinking about getting FTL off GOG, it is supposed to be good right? Has anyone here played it?
   47. The Good Face Posted: January 16, 2014 at 03:56 PM (#4640526)
I was also thinking about getting FTL off GOG, it is supposed to be good right? Has anyone here played it?

It's really, really good. Get it if you have the tiniest bit of interest in roguelike games.
   48. Paul d mobile Posted: January 16, 2014 at 03:58 PM (#4640529)
Ftl is amazing. I think I'd hate a real rogue, but rogue likes, such as Ftl, rogue legacy and even X Com are really in my wheelhouse now.
   49. hokieneer Posted: January 16, 2014 at 03:59 PM (#4640531)
I was also thinking about getting FTL off GOG, it is supposed to be good right? Has anyone here played it?

It's came up a few times in past threads, so there might be some more detailed info there.

It's good. Nice combination of a spaceship captain simulator with rogue like elements. You are going to die a few times early on while you figure out how to play it and get good fortunate from the random number generator.
   50. BFFB Posted: January 16, 2014 at 04:31 PM (#4640555)
Ftl is amazing. I think I'd hate a real rogue, but rogue likes, such as Ftl, rogue legacy and even X Com are really in my wheelhouse now.

If you want a couple recommendations to try then POWDER (which is pretty much Nethack lite with a NES RPG like graphic tileset) and DoomRL are pretty accessible, just don't start with Dwarf Fortress and you should be good.
   51. The Good Face Posted: January 16, 2014 at 04:35 PM (#4640560)
It's good. Nice combination of a spaceship captain simulator with rogue like elements. You are going to die a few times early on while you figure out how to play it and get good fortunate from the random number generator.

Yeah, like any roguelike, luck can play a significant role in any given playthrough. Frustrating sometimes, but goes with the territory. Losing is fun, right?
   52. zack Posted: January 16, 2014 at 04:36 PM (#4640561)

FWIW, FTL and rogue legacy or more like roguelike-likes (RL coined the term rogue-lite). Roguelikes refers to the original genre, nethack and crawl and such.

FTL is tremendous. And since we're on the subject (and before people complain that the game requires too much luck), I'll just point out that I once won 5 games in a row in 5 different ships, because I am tremendous.
   53. zack Posted: January 16, 2014 at 04:44 PM (#4640566)
I'll be excited if it comes out for all platforms, since all I own is a PS3. Then again, my suspicion is that it would just be a localization of Jikkyou Pawafuru Puroyakyo 2013, which I already own (and was playing with my 4 year old son about 15 minutes ago).

Are you playing in Japanese? I liked Power Pros a lot (despite the subpar baseball modelling), but I've not heard of any other English versions.
   54. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 16, 2014 at 04:50 PM (#4640569)
Faster Than Light is a ton of fun, quite addictive.

Jim I should actually have ample time this weekend, assuming your schedule does not conflict with my need to finish the final 4 episodes of Game of Thrones Season 3. I think formerly dp is ready to start playing again too, it'd be nice to get a game going with 4 Primates.

Weekends can be difficult for me to schedule a block of time for, my GF and I work opposite schedules during the week so the weekend is the only time we spend time together; the upside of that for gaming though is that I'm utterly free on weeknights. This weekend I have a poker game on Saturday at 2 but she was talking about wanting to get various personal stuff done on Saturday so I may be free in the evening. Best thing to do for any weekend planning is for you guys to do what works for you and if you don't have a foursome and I'm available I could jump in.

Let's try tomorrow night then since it seems like several of us can make it then, plus maybe tonight I'll play the hell out of a new character and see if I can get up to level 9 or 10 just in case me joining you guys tomorrow with a level 21 makes things difficult. The time we do it basically doesn't matter to me, probably any time from 4 EST through 11 or midnight works for me.
   55. hokieneer Posted: January 16, 2014 at 04:54 PM (#4640574)
Yeah, like any roguelike, luck can play a significant role in any given playthrough. Frustrating sometimes, but goes with the territory. Losing is fun, right?

It can be if designed well.

Here recently I've become much more interested in games that are challenging up to and occasionally jumping over over the line to frustration. Not sure if it's a callback to my early 8 bit days as a child or just general exhaustion from the repetitive design choices in a lot of big budget games. In 2013 the games I played the most were: Dark Souls, Path of exile, FTL, Alpha Centauri, Rogue Legacy, and Dragon's Dogma expansion. Also I have been playing a game called Pixel Dungeon on my phone which is basically a full blown roguelike (well the list of actions/commands is a lot less than say Nethack) with an NES tile set. Rogue Legacy is the perfect mix of frustration, challenge, luck, and in game character progression that makes it a hard game to put down once you get started.

In FTL, I found that my own personal experience and knowledge of the game was more of a factor in success than luck. All the luck in the world wouldn't have mattered to me until I died a few times and learned from those. I never got to the point of zack with FTL, but before I stopped playing I was consistently producing great runs over and over.
   56. zack Posted: January 16, 2014 at 04:59 PM (#4640576)
hokieneer: Are you playing Spelunky? You should be playing Spelunky.

I'm in total agreement about the type of games that I'm finding fun, and I'd go so far as to say they are actual games, instead of simulations with a story tacked on like most of the bigger titles these days. Worse yet is the trend of games (Dear Esther, Gone Home, Last of Us, The Stanley Parable) that are almost devoid of ludic content.

I need to play Dark Souls. I own it, but I recoiled in horror from it's awful console stink and never made it past the main menu.

Rogue Legacy was okay, but a bit too grindy for my taste. I think part of the reason I don't really like it is I wanted it to be Spelunky (which wasn't on PC yet, but I had played the free version previously), and it's not.
   57. The Good Face Posted: January 16, 2014 at 05:06 PM (#4640581)
No Pixel Dungeon for iOS... shame, I'd like to give that a try. I can strongly recommend WazHack for phone roguelikes, especially for folks who don't mind a challenge or dying horribly over and over again. Really captures the feel of the old school roguelikes when you have an epic failcascade stemming from one bad break after another.

In FTL, I found that my own personal experience and knowledge of the game was more of a factor in success than luck. All the luck in the world wouldn't have mattered to me until I died a few times and learned from those. I never got to the point of zack with FTL, but before I stopped playing I was consistently producing great runs over and over.

True, although I apparently lack Zach's mad skillz, and can only replicate that kind of success with the Federation Cruiser ship (or whatever the one with the flying UN crew and artillery beam is called).
   58. hokieneer Posted: January 16, 2014 at 05:07 PM (#4640582)
hokieneer: Are you playing Spelunky? You should be playing Spelunky.

I have tried it in small doses. First time was a few years ago when I was doing research for a PGC game I had an idea for. A rogue mario sounds great, and apparently it's executed well. Might give it an honest try one of these days, maybe even the PS3 version

I need to play Dark Souls. I own it, but I recoiled in horror from it's awful console stink and never made it past the main menu.

Yeah apparently it's barely above the playable line on PC. It's a shame really, such a terrific experience. I played it on the PS3, so aside from terrible frame rates in a few areas, it was very playable. Hopefully FROM does a better job with Dark Souls 2 (In Stories in less than 2 months!)
   59. hokieneer Posted: January 16, 2014 at 05:19 PM (#4640589)
I'm in total agreement about the type of games that I'm finding fun, and I'd go so far as to say they are actual games, instead of simulations with a story tacked on like most of the bigger titles these days. Worse yet is the trend of games (Dear Esther, Gone Home, Last of Us, The Stanley Parable) that are almost devoid of ludic content.

See I used to really like those time of games and to some extend I still do. I have the Last of Us on my shelf at the house waiting for the mood to strike me.

I guess it depends on mood/motivation for me. If narrative-type games are done well, I think they can take the video game industry to a level where other mediums can't go. The problem is very few of them are captivating enough with the story, or engaging enough in gameplay to offset the deterministic nature of the game. So you end up in this middle ground of not enough game mechanics or engaging narration to satisfy anyone, but still with the rails play style and limited scope. This was the fate of the Resident Evil franchise.

No Pixel Dungeon for iOS... shame, I'd like to give that a try. I can strongly recommend WazHack for phone roguelikes, especially for folks who don't mind a challenge or dying horribly over and over again. Really captures the feel of the old school roguelikes when you have an epic failcascade stemming from one bad break after another.

I was stuck at the inlaws around Christmas so I d/l a few games for my phone to stem the madness. Pixel Dungeon was one of them, Wazhack and Heroes call were two others. I started Pixel Dungeon first because it was the smallest d/l size and basically haven't jumped to the other dungeon crawlers yet. I have no idea how many dungeon levels are in Pixel Dungeon, but I can' make it past level 5.
   60. Manny Coon Posted: January 16, 2014 at 05:21 PM (#4640590)
I've only played the PS3 version of Dark Souls and Demon Souls, but I thought they were both very good and I never had any kind of technical problems with them, like with the PS3 version of something like New Vegas, where the console just clearly doesn't have the processing power to handle it.
   61. hokieneer Posted: January 16, 2014 at 05:59 PM (#4640615)
Blightown in Dark Souls on the PS3 is a slide show. Especially when you are traversing down the scaffolding into the swamp area.
   62. BFFB Posted: January 16, 2014 at 06:20 PM (#4640630)

Dsfix is your friend here, it pretty much fixes all the ports jankiness.

Also everyone should play Metal Gear Revengeance!
   63. Paul d mobile Posted: January 16, 2014 at 07:21 PM (#4640648)
I loved the last of us. My brother considers it the greatest game ever. I don't know about that, but I like it a lot. I would put it up as the best ending of all time.
   64. zack Posted: January 16, 2014 at 07:41 PM (#4640661)
I would put it up as the best ending of all time.

I can see how the game would appeal to a lot of people, but the best ending?

!*SPOILER*!

The ending where the dude destroys the girl's agency and also dooms humanity for his own selfish reason? That's the best ending of any game ever?

!*END SPOILER*!

EDIT: Sorry if this comes across as hostile, I don't mean it that way.
   65. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 16, 2014 at 09:30 PM (#4640706)
Aww, dang, I was around when other people were earlier tonight. I'll be playing BL2 tonight, it's sucked me back in.
   66. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: January 16, 2014 at 09:44 PM (#4640716)
I haven't played non-sports video games in years, but I've been playing Lego City: Undercover with my kid since Christmas and its a blast. It makes me want to get Grand Theft Auto for myself.

I have the new GTA game, it came with PS3 I bought back in November, but still haven't tried it. Maybe someday.

After finishing all the Bioshock games (awesome!), I'm back in my regular genres mixing a NCAA 14 offline dynasty with Super Mario 3D on the Wii U. It's good to be home again, I haven't virtually killed anyone in weeks.

67. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: January 16, 2014 at 09:46 PM (#4640718)
The SNES classic EarthBound has the best ending of all time.
   68. Obo Posted: January 17, 2014 at 01:57 AM (#4640805)
EDIT: Sorry if this comes across as hostile, I don't mean it that way.

Heh. A few hours ago I wrote up a reply to the original comment but I couldn't figure out how to say what I thought without sounding hostile (the right word, thanks) so I deleted it. I'll try again.

My point was going to be that The Last of Us was really more of a movie than a game at the end: your character does something dramatic (no spoiler) and you have no say in the matter - you have to just sit there and watch it happen. It kind of yanks you out of the game.
   69. Paul D(uda) Posted: January 17, 2014 at 08:32 AM (#4640829)
Zak - yes. In terms of pure story-telling, the mutual delusion that goes on at the end of that game is just tremendous.
   70. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 17, 2014 at 09:15 AM (#4640834)
Endings are one of the hardest things to get right in fiction, regardless of whether it's a book, a game, or TV/movie. I can't even remember the number of really well done books I've read that just failed to stick the landing.
   71. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 17, 2014 at 09:15 AM (#4640835)
Also, yes. Earthbound was crazy great in that respect. But Earthbound is high on my list of greatest games ever.
   72. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM (#4640863)
Borderlands 2: Nutbag is free after 5 PST/8 EST tonight and I'm also available at that time. So let's say 5:15/8:15? You able to make it then Hokieneer? Anyone else?

I'm going to try using my level 21 with you guys but if that ends up making the baddies too tough I have a lower level one now that I can switch to.
   73. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM (#4640870)
I think I can participate. Nixon is not afraid!
   74. hokieneer Posted: January 17, 2014 at 02:22 PM (#4641083)
I'll definitely try to join this evening.
   75. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 17, 2014 at 03:08 PM (#4641145)
As Sir Hammerlock might say, "Tentative foursome, ho!"
   76. The Good Face Posted: January 17, 2014 at 03:59 PM (#4641185)
I'm going to try using my level 21 with you guys but if that ends up making the baddies too tough I have a lower level one now that I can switch to

NPC level in Borderlands 2 is determined by whoever is hosting the game. So if people join your game, regardless of their level, the mobs will all be around level 21. If you join the game of a level 11 guy, the mobs will all be around his level and you'll be a living god striding the earth.
   77. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 17, 2014 at 07:18 PM (#4641349)
Thanks GF, that's good to know.

YR/Hokie/Nutbag, what level are you guys at now? We'll have to decide who will host.
   78. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 17, 2014 at 08:06 PM (#4641370)
Argh, you have four? Darn. If anyone can't make it or has to go before everyone else, feel free to add me. Kaiserbrown on Steam.
   79. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 17, 2014 at 08:15 PM (#4641377)
Will do. Nobody has confirmed for sure yet so we may well have an opening
   80. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 17, 2014 at 08:49 PM (#4641391)
I just got home, had to work a little late (science never sleeps!), I may be a little late to the party but I will be there.
   81. hokieneer Posted: January 17, 2014 at 09:08 PM (#4641395)
I'm on. I think I was level ~10, haven't played since Jim and I played before Christmas.
   82. Obo Posted: January 17, 2014 at 09:11 PM (#4641396)
I'll be looking for a game around 10pm this evening.
   83. Obo Posted: January 18, 2014 at 12:08 PM (#4641514)
Fun games, guys. I think I may not die so often if I start using that avatar thingy my character is supposed to have. I'm a 12th level n00b!
   84. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: January 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM (#4641524)
Yeah, I had a lot of fun. I'm definitely up for more games in the future.
   85. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 18, 2014 at 12:39 PM (#4641528)
I was complete dead weight but I had heaps of fun. Voice chat was really crummy for some reason though, might we try a third-party chat app like Mumble in the future? I could barely hear what y'all were saying.
   86. hokieneer Posted: January 18, 2014 at 01:29 PM (#4641555)
I agree with YR on all accounts.

I felt like dead weight most of the night as well, primarily while trying to figure out the mechanics of Kreig's skill tree without getting beat down.

Yeah the Steam VOIP was giving me fits as well. I'm a Steam noob, but is there anyway to configure just the chat audio to go through the headset while leaving the game/system audio going through my speakers? I have a cheap $20 headset that just has a mic and one-ear speaker, so I'd prefer not to send the entire game audio through that one channel, but I was unable to hear anyone unless I did that. I even had the in game audio sliders down, but still had trouble hearing people through my desktop speakers.

Only other VOIP service I've used is Teamspeak, and it works well at splitting the chat audio to just the headset, and I can actually hear/understand people with it.

87. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 18, 2014 at 04:21 PM (#4641631)
Nah, you guys all did fine. I suspect that there is some sort of upward adjustment to enemy difficulty with a higher level player in there. The main thing though is that I figure the intention with a group is that you're supposed to be going to FFYL and depending on your friends to keep you alive.

I could hear YR, Hokie, and Scott fine but Obo was fainter and cut out at times; I
was using speaker audio and just had my headset around my neck (in tests I seemed to be less audible with the headset actually on my head)

Regardless, it was a ton of fun. Good four hours straight of play for me
   88. Paul D(uda) Posted: January 18, 2014 at 08:55 PM (#4641717)
Thanks for the recommendations BBFB, I'll look into them.

Zak, I knew when I was typing that rogue like wasn't quite right but wasn't sure what I was looking for - thanks for the correction.
   89. Poster Nutbag Posted: January 22, 2014 at 02:18 PM (#4644333)
Fans of Paradox games, go check this out. It's too good to pass up. Cough up the $3 and thank me later (unless, like me, you already had them all).
Happy gaming!
   90. Greg K Posted: January 22, 2014 at 04:08 PM (#4644449)
Fans of Paradox games, go check this out. It's too good to pass up. Cough up the $3 and thank me later (unless, like me, you already had them all).
Happy gaming!

Speaking of Paradox...

A) The EU IV expansion is AWESOME!
B) I just came across Supreme Ruler 2020. I'd actually never heard of it. I always wanted a modern day Paradox game. Is it terrible, and that's why I've never seen it before?
   91. Moe Greene Posted: January 22, 2014 at 04:29 PM (#4644473)
I've never played Supreme Ruler 2020, but:

1) It wasn't developed by Paradox. I wouldn't say that's a red flag, but I certainly wouldn't expect the same level of excellence I'd normally see in a Paradox-developed grand strategy game.

2) It's only 67% on Gamerankings. Not exactly promising.
   92. Poster Nutbag Posted: January 22, 2014 at 05:08 PM (#4644526)
RE: Supreme Ruler - I have the Cold War and the 2020 versions of the game. I do enjoy them, but have only played for a short spurt in each. I haven't had the time to dive too terribly deep. If you like these types of games, I'd go for it. You can usually find them for around $2.50-$5 apiece when they go on sale. I think only 2020 is on Steam(as is the new version, I already have it on my wishlist!), the rest can usually be found over at Gamestop, GamersGate, GMG, etc.
   93. Poster Nutbag Posted: January 22, 2014 at 05:12 PM (#4644531)
Actually, you can grab Supreme Ruler 2020 in a nice $4 bundle here.
   94. Greg K Posted: January 22, 2014 at 07:04 PM (#4644669)
Thanks a bunch. I'll probably nab that and take a look at it when my current Europa Universalis binge wears off. My Portuguese trading empire is just now reaching it's tendrils into the Philippines.

Also playing a bit of Banner Saga lately. Very beautiful, and really punishing when you make the wrong* decisions. I can't quite tell how far into the game I am but it feels a bit like a game that creates a tantalizingly expansive world, but the actual game only takes place in a small part of it. Hoping that means plenty of room for modding/expansion.

*And at times there is literally no way you can know which is the right, wrong, or merely indifferent decision until after you've made it.
   95. Poster Nutbag Posted: January 23, 2014 at 04:16 PM (#4645222)
Anyone else get invited to the Steam In-home Streaming Beta? This looks really ####### awesome!!!!
   96. Random Transaction Generator Posted: January 23, 2014 at 04:45 PM (#4645252)
Hearthstone (Blizzard online card game) is in open beta.
It's like a streamlined and faster version of Magic The Gathering (according to my friend who has fired it up).

I haven't given it a try yet, but I'll probably dive in this weekend.
   97. hokieneer Posted: January 23, 2014 at 05:09 PM (#4645271)
Thanks for the heads up RTG. I watched more than a few Hearthstone streams back in the fall during closed beta, and was waiting for the open beta switch to flip.

From what I remember, It is a more streamlined than MTG, but because of the standard 1-mana-per-turn pacing, deck speed/combos are not nearly as important. There are very few ways in the game to generate speed/resources/mana faster, and such a lot of the games I watched feel very similar and cookie-cutter.

But for serving as a simple and quick pick up TCG I think it will work well.
   98. Paul D(uda) Posted: January 23, 2014 at 06:25 PM (#4645337)
Hearthsone is awesome. It's M:TG if it was designed as a video game.
   99. Langer Monk Posted: January 23, 2014 at 06:32 PM (#4645347)
Paradox announce Hearts of Iron IV and an RPG called Runemaster.
   100. Moe Greene Posted: January 23, 2014 at 06:45 PM (#4645360)
How does an electronic CCG game work? I'm familiar enough with M:TG, but haven't explored anything like Hearthstone.

Do you have to purchase 'electronic' booster packs?
Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Francis
for his generous support.