Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

R.B.I. Baseball 2014 coming to Xbox 360, XBox One, iOS, Android

Developed by MLBAM, endorsed by MLB. Don’t get too excited though, its actually developed by 2K studios and the guys who made MLB2K, who recently announced that they canceled that series.

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/423288921590468608

Tripon Posted: January 14, 2014 at 11:15 PM | 209 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: video games

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 
   101. Greg K Posted: January 23, 2014 at 07:31 PM (#4645378)
Paradox announce Hearts of Iron IV and an RPG called Runemaster.

Hearts of Iron has probably been the game in the series I've gotten into the least, though there were elements of III I absolutely loved. The idea of balancing theory and practice is wonderful (research unlocks and improves the production of planes for example, but the experience gleaned from each physical plane you produce also improves your capabilities.) But it was a bit too locked into WW2. My dream game would be one that covers 1930-1990 (or whenever), not necessarily one about WW2. Paradox games are at their best when they mix all sorts of gameplays. Wikipedia seems to suggest they are moving away from "forced game progression" to "sandbox" play. Hopefully that means a bit more diversity of play and not necessarily one massive war.
   102. starksy Posted: January 23, 2014 at 08:27 PM (#4645392)
Also playing a bit of Banner Saga lately. Very beautiful, and really punishing when you make the wrong* decisions. I can't quite tell how far into the game I am but it feels a bit like a game that creates a tantalizingly expansive world, but the actual game only takes place in a small part of it. Hoping that means plenty of room for modding/expansion.

Feeling the same, but definitely enjoying it. Game, according to what the developers said during kickstarter and confirmed throughout development, is a planned trilogy. Any funding received from microtransactions in the Banner Saga:Factions (just PVP battles with squads of six) are being used in development with the later games. I think modding was discussed but not currently planned
   103. Paul D(uda) Posted: January 23, 2014 at 08:43 PM (#4645398)
You earn points for playing which let you 'buy' booster packs. You can also use real cash to buy them. I've played dozens of hours without spending real money and enjoyed it.
   104. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM (#4645524)
I'd be up for another Borderlands 2 session tonight. Wouldn't mind having regular BL2 Fridays in fact. I leveled up my lower character some (and got past the rescue Roland mission that we kept doing last week) so I would be happy to host; I am unlikely to have any interruptions
   105. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: January 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM (#4645538)
Hey Jim I'm leaving for a week in Florida tomorrow (grandpa's 101st birthday!) so tonight is the last night I can play for the next 10 days. I'm all over getting a game going any time after 8:30 or so. I'm currently at level 15 and finally found a sniper rifle I really like, let's dooooo it!
   106. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 24, 2014 at 12:57 PM (#4645652)
Good timing on coming down here, should be in the 60s for all but a couple days
   107. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 24, 2014 at 06:10 PM (#4645968)
I'm at 16, just high enough to get the instant teammate revive skill. I think most of the others were 14-15 as well now.
   108. formerly dp Posted: January 24, 2014 at 06:17 PM (#4645970)
Started my first character on the PC version last week, and already sailed to level 21.
   109. Moe Greene Posted: January 24, 2014 at 07:14 PM (#4645987)
I'm jealous of you BL2 players.

My sorry laptop can only handle Torchlight 2, and even then, I get a fair amount of slowdown when fighting more than a few enemies at once. Someday I'll upgrade. Of course, by then all of you will be playing BL3.
   110. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 24, 2014 at 08:50 PM (#4646012)
Alright, so 8:30 EST it is. I'm JimmyTheShovel on Steam if any interested parties haven't added me yet. You're welcome to join us of course DP; at level 21 you'll have a relatively easy time of it and won't gain significant XP (playing with people level 12-14ish last week with my level 21 I gained about 1/5 of a level in 4 hours) but you'll still get to run around and shoot stuff and that's the whole fun of it anyway. Anyone else wants to play with the highly principled Yankee Redneck and I feel free to join up. I'm likely to be available for play till 12:20 AM at minimum.
   111. BFFB Posted: January 25, 2014 at 08:55 AM (#4646114)
My sorry laptop can only handle Torchlight 2, and even then, I get a fair amount of slowdown when fighting more than a few enemies at once. Someday I'll upgrade. Of course, by then all of you will be playing BL3.

If you ever change your laptop and consider a "gaming" one, bear in mind that you could build an equivalent PC and buy a middle of the road laptop for the same price. Assuming you have the space, that is.
   112. Jim Wisinski Posted: January 27, 2014 at 06:22 PM (#4646971)
If anyone else is interested in getting into Borderlands 2 you can get the GOTY edition at Get Games Go for $15 right now. It says Mac but since it's a Steam title it'll work for Mac or PC.
   113. Poster Nutbag Posted: January 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM (#4647330)
RE: BL2 - If you don't want the GOTY and just want the vanilla BL2, it's like $6 at Newegg right now. They have a few other deals worth checking out as well.
   114. Poster Nutbag Posted: January 28, 2014 at 02:23 PM (#4647441)
Got bored. Maybe this will make gaming with fellow Primates easier: Steam Group
   115. KronicFatigue Posted: January 30, 2014 at 03:34 PM (#4648835)
Need some advice, as I'm planning on starting to transition from console to PC. I'm looking into getting a controller and I want to know if a 360 wireless dongle is my best option. I have 360 controllers already, but I'm having a hard time finding the dongle.

something like this was recommended to me but 1) I prefer an official microsoft version as this is a knock off and 2) no site mentions whether they are windows 8 compatible.

Ultimately, I don't how I'm going to use steam. It's highly possible that I use it just for 1 person gaming (Assassins creed, Star Wars Battle Front II, etc). I'm told eventually I'll prefer a keyboard/mouse but I might be too set in my ways to adapt.

Please and thank you
   116. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: January 30, 2014 at 04:00 PM (#4648863)
Need some advice, as I'm planning on starting to transition from console to PC. I'm looking into getting a controller and I want to know if a 360 wireless dongle is my best option. I have 360 controllers already, but I'm having a hard time finding the dongle.

Any chance you have an older wired controller laying around?

I use a controller for 1st person games myself, cant stand using the keyboard to move around. That being said, I also never play against anyone so if my accuracy isn't all that it could be I dont really care.
   117. Poster Nutbag Posted: January 30, 2014 at 04:06 PM (#4648870)
115 - I have a dongle myself, and it is a piece of ####. There are major compatibility issues with Xbox 360 controllers and Windows, for some odd reason. The best luck I have had as far as a controller goes is some shitty, PS3 knockoff that I loathe. I hope you have better luck than I.

Issues
   118. The Good Face Posted: January 30, 2014 at 04:22 PM (#4648885)

You can get a 360 controller with an attached USB cable that works great with PC/Steam games for like $30.
   119. KronicFatigue Posted: January 30, 2014 at 07:34 PM (#4649033)
I think I'm just going to start with a wired 360 controller...thanks for the help!
   120. Eric L Posted: January 30, 2014 at 09:11 PM (#4649060)
I have a stupid newbie Steam question: I bought a game assuming Steam would run it on a Mac. I'm getting an "invalid platform" message. Am I screwed?
   121. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: January 31, 2014 at 10:48 AM (#4649197)

I have a stupid newbie Steam question: I bought a game assuming Steam would run it on a Mac. I'm getting an "invalid platform" message. Am I screwed?

Does the game have a mac platform symbol? Steam should display which systems the games are compatible with.
   122. TFTIO can't talk like this -- he's so sorry. Posted: February 01, 2014 at 12:31 PM (#4649798)
I haven't seen anything in the world of exclusives that would make me want one of the new consoles over the other. I liked Last Of Us, and Gears of War, and Titanfall looks intriguing.
   123. Tripon Posted: February 01, 2014 at 01:25 PM (#4649813)
Titanfall isn't really exclusive. Its coming out on PC, and 360 as well as Xbox One. Last of Us is only on PS3, and Gears of War franchise is 360 only so far, but there has been rumblings of PS4 & XB1 ports respectively.
   124. zack Posted: February 01, 2014 at 02:35 PM (#4649836)
There are major compatibility issues with Xbox 360 controllers and Windows

I think this blatantly false. It may be something with the wireless, I haven't used that. But the 360 controller is basically the default controller for the PC. Any modern game that supports controllers will support the 360, and there are many games that ONLY support the 360 controller. I have to use 360-controller-emulator to get my Logitech controller working with them.
   125. Poster Nutbag Posted: February 01, 2014 at 05:21 PM (#4649888)
Zack - yes, the wireless. And not false. I think if you click the link you'll find quite a large number of gamers have encountered the same problem I have, as well as other problems. The one I encountered had to do with the y-axis not being stable at all. I only say this from firsthand experience.

Does it seem absolutely illogical, especially considering the controllers are made by Microsoft? No doubt. However, I can assure you it is not false.
   126. Paul d mobile Posted: February 01, 2014 at 07:13 PM (#4649923)
Destiny and Infamous two are the interesting PS4 exclusives. And possibly the last Guardian.
   127. Tripon Posted: February 01, 2014 at 11:10 PM (#4649983)
Destiny isn't PS4 exclusive, its coming to XB1, 360, and PS3 as well. Infamous: Second Son is a PS4 exclusive and The Last Guardian is in project development hell.
   128. TFTIO can't talk like this -- he's so sorry. Posted: February 03, 2014 at 10:01 PM (#4651131)
Well, if I'm trying to decide between the One and the 4, then Titanfall is exclusive; I included the other two as examples of prev-gen exclusives I enjoyed. There's certainly nothing that's been announced that looks worth the opportunity cost of giving up the other. So, like Buridan's ass, I guess I'll just starve.
   129. TFTIO can't talk like this -- he's so sorry. Posted: February 03, 2014 at 10:05 PM (#4651134)
And if Last Guardian ever actually shows up I'll eat my PS3.
   130. hokieneer Posted: February 03, 2014 at 10:54 PM (#4651162)
There's certainly nothing that's been announced that looks worth the opportunity cost of giving up the other.

That's where I'm at. I'm due for a new GPU anyway, and for 50-70% the cost of a new console, I thin I'd rather make that investment first.

I will say I have enjoyed the little time I've spent with a friends PS4. Everything about the UI, controller, system hardware, OS, PSN, etc; seems like a great improvement over the PS3. Too bad all he has to play is Don't Starve, DC Injustice, Resogun, Knack, and some shitty F2P FPS that looks like it's about 7 years old. I have not tried out the X-One yet.
   131. Paul D(uda) Posted: February 03, 2014 at 11:22 PM (#4651173)
The gaming podcasts I listen to seem to think that Last Guardian is coming out in 2014. Agreed that believing it when you see it is a good strategy.

I agree that there's no reason to purchase either console at the moment. I'm making my way through my Steam backlist of games I purchased at the holiday sale. So far it's been Brothers, Guacamelee, and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.
   132. TFTIO can't talk like this -- he's so sorry. Posted: February 03, 2014 at 11:25 PM (#4651174)
I will reƫvaluate once there are a few games I'm interested in. I actually wish that Microsoft had followed through on their download strategy changes, because I never, ever, ever, ever, ever want to deal with a spinning disk again. Oh well. Right now, I'm likely to go Sony, because $100, and also because I have no use for HDMI play through and all the other things that Microsoft jammed in there. But I'm not religious about it.
   133. Paul D(uda) Posted: February 03, 2014 at 11:26 PM (#4651175)
Also, Hearthstone is now in open beta

It's a lot of fun.
   134. Paul D(uda) Posted: February 03, 2014 at 11:26 PM (#4651176)
But Kinect!
   135. TFTIO can't talk like this -- he's so sorry. Posted: February 03, 2014 at 11:31 PM (#4651180)
Kinect is nifty. I haven't played any games that make it seem essential, however.
   136. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 03, 2014 at 11:38 PM (#4651182)
Got bored. Maybe this will make gaming with fellow Primates easier: Steam Group

Thanks, I'm signed up and I just connected my computer to the big-ass tv in the living room. Awwww YISS.
   137. hokieneer Posted: February 03, 2014 at 11:40 PM (#4651183)
About 10 minutes ago my Brother in Law just messaged me to inform me he got an X-One today. He's currently playing Dead Rising waiting for Titan Fall. I'm going to have to go check out the system when I get a chance.

I had a conversation with him a few weeks ago about if he'd take that allotted $500 and save up some more over the next 5-6 weeks till Titanfall comes out, he'd have an acceptable lump sum to build a TitanFall ready PC with (esp with newegg financing). He could even bundle a controller in there or use one of his old PS3 controllers. And with that he'd be spending less per software title with steam sales, access to a wider range of games, could play it on his TV, would not run into the eventual storage space problem the PS4/XOne users are going to run into in ~18 months, no Kinect, etc. I thought I made an impact.
   138. TFTIO can't talk like this -- he's so sorry. Posted: February 03, 2014 at 11:48 PM (#4651188)
I'm intrigued by the Steam boxes, particularly with so few Sony-only exclusives. I don't really have the energy or interest to build a living room quality PC, so I'll be following along to see what Valve's doing. It does seem to me that Steam Box + PS4 is a much more compelling way to waste the family money than One + PS4. I can't see too many games staying Xbox-only -- I don't pre-order or play much online, so I can wait for games to be ported. Hmmm.
   139. Poster Nutbag Posted: February 04, 2014 at 01:03 AM (#4651202)
All I know, is I keep thinking about what the new consoles cost and how many games I could purchase on Steam for the same amount of money.....then I start thinking about the obscene backlog I already have on Steam.....by the time I even get to the new consoles, they'll probably be about $200 a pop and I'll grab both.

This is all without even delving into the beauty of the Steam Machines....I'm eventually going to throw some old junk together, load Steam OS onto it, and see what I can't already do without buying anything!
   140. Paul D(uda) Posted: February 04, 2014 at 09:41 AM (#4651252)
Steam Machines are going to run on Linux, and I don't think it's clear that all 3rd party games will be ported to Linux/Steam box.
   141. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 04, 2014 at 09:49 AM (#4651259)
Steam is becoming such a force in the marketing and distribution of PC games that you have to think 3rd party developers are going to want to go where Steam goes. Perhaps Valve can even offer developers a reduction in Valve's cut of the sale through Steam for games coded for Linux to encourage more content there.
   142. formerly dp Posted: February 04, 2014 at 10:14 AM (#4651272)
Zack - yes, the wireless. And not false. I think if you click the link you'll find quite a large number of gamers have encountered the same problem I have, as well as other problems. The one I encountered had to do with the y-axis not being stable at all. I only say this from firsthand experience.
Follow the guide at the bottom of this page and you shouldn't have any problems, even with a third-party receiver. I recently set up a new laptop with Steam/Win 8.1 and a 360 controller, and have been running it without issue. The seamless integration of the 360 controller's a game-changer for me-- haven't turned my 360 on in months, and am now PC gaming from the comfort of my couch. Steam Cloud makes switching back and forth between my desktop (office) and laptop (couch, HDMI into entertainment center) easy. Xbox made it a pain to switch between machines, don't know if this has changed with the One or not.

Just started playing Saint's Row IV, that might be another good option for co-op, tons of fun.
   143. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 04, 2014 at 10:29 AM (#4651286)
So I spent the evening yesterday in my first foray into couch-based PC gaming and I quickly concluded that I am hopeless - HOPELESS - at playing anything with a game controller. Too many years of keyboard-and-mouse exclusivity have left me helpless as a babe trying to both move and look around with twin joysticks, a problem made even more hilariously confounding by some weird default control schemes (in Batman: Arkham Asylum moving the left joystick down makes you go forward and moving it up makes you retreat). Poor Batman hasn't looked so befuddled since he was doing the Batusi for King Tut.

On the upside the traditional keyboard-and-mouse combo still works fine, if a little awkwardly from couchside. I had occasion to fire up a little BL2 with beloved Primate Szym last night and it looked and sounded great in all it's big screen glory. I'm looking forward to loading up one of the Total War series tonight and putting myself in the middle of some massive cavalry charges.
   144. formerly dp Posted: February 04, 2014 at 10:36 AM (#4651296)
Well, you picked the right game to try it with-- I can't imagine playing the Arkham series with anything but a controller.

The big screen, especially if you have a good surround system and a subwoofer that digs deep, really does add a lot.
   145. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: February 04, 2014 at 11:45 AM (#4651360)
a problem made even more hilariously confounding by some weird default control schemes (in Batman: Arkham Asylum moving the left joystick down makes you go forward and moving it up makes you retreat). Poor Batman hasn't looked so befuddled since he was doing the Batusi for King Tut.

Can you invert the axis? There is typically an option for the right 'view' joystick to invert the control, might be one for the left 'move' joystick.
   146. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: February 04, 2014 at 11:48 AM (#4651363)
Don't forget one very important exclusive - MLB the Show on PS4.
   147. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: February 04, 2014 at 11:49 AM (#4651365)
I had occasion to fire up a little BL2 with beloved Primate Szym last night and it looked and sounded great in all it's big screen glory.

Now YR knows that I drive vehicles in BL2 worse than Jim Leyritz.
   148. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 04, 2014 at 12:00 PM (#4651373)
Can you invert the axis?

I looked for that option but didn't see it. Of course I was stupidly navigating the menus with the controller instead of a mouse so even that was a chore, I'll try again tonight. I like playing the Batman game with the keyboard and mouse but it seemed pretty obvious that the game was really built around using a controller or being Antonio Alfonseca.
   149. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 04, 2014 at 12:00 PM (#4651374)

What's your mouse sensitivity set at, a million?
   150. formerly dp Posted: February 04, 2014 at 12:25 PM (#4651392)
Don't forget one very important exclusive - MLB the Show on PS4.
Trying to block that one out for the moment. No way I can justify a PS4 purchase right now...had the job not just bought me a gaming laptop, I might be bold enough to ask them for it...

I am in the early stages of writing an article about the PS4/Xbox One/SteamBox controllers, though, so I do have a semi-legitimate need. So far, all my time with next-gen consoles has been courtesy of the local Best Buy.
   151. hokieneer Posted: February 04, 2014 at 12:42 PM (#4651410)

I have yet to meet a single gamer that can drive well in BL 1 or 2. I was hoping when I joined primate PC BL2 party things would be different than my console experiences. PC driving is a touch easier, but not much.
   152. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 04, 2014 at 03:01 PM (#4651503)
Hey, my driving in BL2 is excellent! Right up until the moment I go off-road and sail over a cliff I'm doing great.
   153. Poster Nutbag Posted: February 04, 2014 at 03:20 PM (#4651517)
Anyone needing a good excuse to get into the Civ games really ought to head over to the Humble site for the Sid Meier Humble Bundle!
   154. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: February 04, 2014 at 03:34 PM (#4651532)
What's your mouse sensitivity set at, a million?

My mouse sensitivity is set quite low - from the range of my wrist movement with a non-moving arm, I want exactly 360 degrees of rotation.

The issue I have with the BL2 driving is that my FPS tendency is to want to move the vehicle with wasd and move the camera with my mouse. Unless I've been playing a lot of BL2, the mouse turning is unfamiliar feeling to me.
   155. Jim Wisinski Posted: February 04, 2014 at 08:26 PM (#4651756)
I usually don't have much trouble with driving in BL2, though I can be sloppy and reckless with it. But as YR can attest I'm ordinarily reckless all the time anyway (though when we were fighting Wilhelm I did take cover! Multiple times!)
   156. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 05, 2014 at 10:42 AM (#4651934)
Snow days on the east coast, BL2 time galore!
   157. formerly dp Posted: February 05, 2014 at 12:32 PM (#4652010)
What level are you guys at on BL2 right now?
   158. Jim Wisinski Posted: February 05, 2014 at 01:04 PM (#4652042)
My Mechromancer is at 6 and my Sirens are 16 (I think), 21, and 32. The highest one is my character purely for solo play.
   159. TFTIO can't talk like this -- he's so sorry. Posted: February 05, 2014 at 02:21 PM (#4652110)
I wish you could play cross-platform (PS3 -> Steam) in BL2.
   160. Jim Wisinski Posted: February 05, 2014 at 03:09 PM (#4652142)
Gearbox wanted to make that possible but Sony and Microsoft wouldn't allow it because they didn't want XBox and PS owners to be able to play together.
   161. Swedish Chef Posted: February 05, 2014 at 03:47 PM (#4652166)
For the record: my Flappy Bird high score is 10.
   162. TFTIO can't talk like this -- he's so sorry. Posted: February 05, 2014 at 08:37 PM (#4652374)
I really don't want to rebuy the game on Steam, at least until I can get a Steam Machine (I'm a Mac guy and have no illusions about gaming on my computers).
   163. Jim Wisinski Posted: February 06, 2014 at 09:08 PM (#4652968)
I'm really disappointed in the video game offerings for Magic: The Gathering these days. I was just reading up on the recent Duels of the Planeswalkers games to see if one was worth buying and they seem so limited in what you can do as far as deck building is concerned. It's sad that I can boot up my copy of the old Microprose game (from 17 years ago!) and get a more authentic MTG experience than it looks like the current games offer.
   164. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 06, 2014 at 09:57 PM (#4652981)
Steam is having a free weekend of Borderlands 2 for anyone who wants to tag along with the Primer BL2 Crew. Is Szym's driving really that bad? Does YR really get completely lost that easily? Will Poster Nutbag shoot you in the butt? FIND OUT THIS WEEKEND!
   165. Jim Wisinski Posted: February 06, 2014 at 10:49 PM (#4652990)
If I shoot you in the butt it will heal you!
   166. Poster Nutbag Posted: February 07, 2014 at 01:58 AM (#4653035)
I will shoot every single one of you in the butt. Twice, if we play on a Sunday!

Jim - The latest Magic game on Steam is actually not too bad. You do get to build decks and mess around with them. There is a Campaugn which unlocks cards for specific decks, but there is also slots for "Sealed Decks" where you can totally customize your own. You are limited in the amount of cards you can get for each slot, but the deck building fun is definitely there.
   167. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: February 07, 2014 at 02:21 AM (#4653036)
The AI for current Magic games is also a million times better than what the Microprose game was able to do.
   168. Jim Wisinski Posted: February 07, 2014 at 10:15 AM (#4653097)
Nutbag, from what I understand you're constrained by pre-selected card sets to choose from for each deck (with the exception of the sealed deck part). Is that not the case? Also, bonus to playing the Microprose game: I actually know the cards. Stronghold was the current expansion when I stopped with the card game.

I did start playing Hearthstone last night and that ended up occupying a lot of my time. At first I was skeptical about how well it would hold my interest but as I played more I really started to enjoy it and get used to the play style. It's definitely jarring though having to get accustomed to creatures not being able to voluntarily block, that was always a significant part of MTG strategy and it still feels very strange to me. I do like it a lot though, I've played enough to unlock all the heroes and so far I'm undefeated in 4 casual matches so that's a nice start.
   169. Jim Wisinski Posted: February 07, 2014 at 10:16 AM (#4653100)
I know YR is in for Borderlands 2 tonight, who else?
   170. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 07, 2014 at 10:21 AM (#4653102)
Remember kids, BL2 is FREE TO PLAY this weekend via Steam! You have no excuse beyond your own gutless nature and/or Mac handicap.
   171. Jim Wisinski Posted: February 07, 2014 at 04:25 PM (#4653374)
I've never really cared about getting a tablet in the past but last night I was thinking about how nice it would be to play Hearthstone (not available for tablets now but they plan on it in the future) and other simplish games on one. I was playing on my laptop while sitting on the couch and it's really not that convenient, it's bulkier than I'd like and it limits the position you can sit/slouch/lay in. How many of you use tablets for stuff like that and how is it working out for you (and what kind do you have)?
   172. Poster Nutbag Posted: February 07, 2014 at 04:31 PM (#4653377)
Jim - Yes, that is correct. However, it's just that way with those specialized decks for the Campaign mode, and there are enough of them and you get enough extra cards that there is still some strategy involved with building the proper deck. You will, as you go through the campaign and expansion, need to change up your deck a few times. (Side note: I hadn't played the game in about 20 years until recently, so all the new abilities and stuff took some time to get used to)

The Sealed Deck play though....very much a deck building experience and very much worth it.

Unfortunately, being back at work, unless BL2 sessions start going until around 2:30 AM (PST), I am going to be unavailable, except Sat/Sun. Have fun, watch your asses (literally) and NEVER take your eye off of YR.......he will get lost
   173. Jim Wisinski Posted: February 07, 2014 at 06:07 PM (#4653413)
Thanks, I don't really want to pay $10 for it (Hearthstone is satisfying my CCG desires for now anyway) but if it goes on sale I might grab it.
   174. Poster Nutbag Posted: February 07, 2014 at 06:14 PM (#4653417)
Jim - For that, I do not blame you. I would certainly wait for a sale. Mine was gifted to me during the last steam sale, I think it was only like $3 or so then. At that price, it's worth grabbing. At $10 or more, I'd wait just in case it isn't fully what you expected.
   175. Obo Posted: February 07, 2014 at 07:54 PM (#4653475)
I'll be around but I'm only level 12-ish. Last I saw some of you guys playing the levels were close to double that so I didn't join in.

My driving, which is actually pretty decent now, was awful the one time I played with the BBTF folks. I got the truck jammed up against one of those stinging cactus things and couldn't get it moving again. It was kind of sad to see my passenger (can't remember who it was) giving up, climbing out, and go running down the road into the distance.
   176. Paul D(uda) Posted: February 07, 2014 at 08:30 PM (#4653483)
I really enjoyed the M:TG games on Steam. Yes, they take the major deck building out of it, but there's still some deck building and some fun puzzles. It's worth $5 in a Steam sale.
   177. Poster Nutbag Posted: February 08, 2014 at 06:42 AM (#4653576)
Has anyone tried, or was anyone going to try, Aerena - Clash of Champions?
   178. Paul D(uda) Posted: February 08, 2014 at 09:04 AM (#4653584)
Anyone have a 3DS? I've got a jar full of coins, and I was thinking of cashing it in for a 3DS. Between the sequel to Link to the Past, Mario, and Fire Emblem I figure I'll enjoy it, but wouldn't mind some opinions from people who have used it.
   179. TFTIO can't talk like this -- he's so sorry. Posted: February 10, 2014 at 07:45 PM (#4654502)
I have cracked and purchased a Steam copy of Borderlands 2. It will likely run like crap on my MBP, and I need to get a decent mouse, but perhaps I will show up and play some tonight.
   180. Manny Coon Posted: February 10, 2014 at 08:09 PM (#4654511)
Anyone have a 3DS? I've got a jar full of coins, and I was thinking of cashing it in for a 3DS. Between the sequel to Link to the Past, Mario, and Fire Emblem I figure I'll enjoy it, but wouldn't mind some opinions from people who have used it.

Get the 3DS XL if you can, the bigger screen is worth it. I have three games, fire emblem, Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (haven't finished this one), I've enjoyed all of them; it can also play DS games, but not GBA. Fire Emblem Awakening isn't as good as Fire Emblem 7, but is better than 8, it's about on par with 9 and 10. Wife has Animal Crossing and has played it a lot. I completely turn off the 3D whenever I play, it seems gimmicky and disorienting to me. It actually uses WPA instead of WEP for wi-fi unlike the normal DS, which is good.
   181. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 13, 2014 at 10:23 AM (#4656134)
Just bumping this up for any gaming-related needs.

I tried gaming with my PC connected to the big TV last week and although the visual spectacle of playing on a 60-inch TV at 1080p was impressive and the booming sound of my home theater system was truly an enjoyable addition to my gaming experience, I remained totally and utterly useless with a gamepad for any game that required concurrent use of the dual thumb-sticks. In the end I just retreated back to my sad little monitor and dreamed of some sort of configurations that would allow me the comfortable use of my keyboard and mouse in the living room without annoying my lovely and patient wife. I will say that playing Total War and Witcher 2 in the big screen was very, very entertaining.

After noticing that our Primer BL2 contingent was entirely comprised of Sirens and Assassins I decided to go back through the game as a Gunzerker (tank) so that I'd be able to diversify our gameplay the next time we got together. I was soon joined by the esteemed DJS...also playing as a newly-minted Gunzerker. I gotta say, playing with two Gunzerkers is quite a different gameplay experience than playing with a bunch of snipers.

The weekend beckons - Handsome Jack must be defeated!
   182. Jim Wisinski Posted: February 14, 2014 at 06:34 PM (#4657145)
I've been messing around a bit with a Mechromancer but she's only level 7 and, while fun, I can't imagine not sticking with the Siren for multiplayer. The instant revive with Phaselock and other healing abilities are just too valuable to give up.

I should be around for the usual time tonight (basically till 12:20ish AM EST).
   183. TFTIO can't talk like this -- he's so sorry. Posted: February 14, 2014 at 08:07 PM (#4657175)
I should probably try with a different class (my PS3 ZERO was level 55mumble when I accidentally nuked my saves), but I like sniping so much. I am, however, terrible at it with the mouse/keyboard. Maybe I'll hop in tonight with my level 9 assassin and get some sweet, sweet XP love.
   184. DJS and the Infinite Sadness Posted: February 14, 2014 at 08:21 PM (#4657179)
For those of you in the mid-20s, I have some pretty sweet extra weapons that I've upgraded from but are still quite badass. Free to good home.

Extra BL2 weapons

185. Jim Wisinski Posted: February 14, 2014 at 08:52 PM (#4657186)
Those are some real nice guns there. I don't need any of them though, I'm in good shape for weapons in that level range thanks to my higher level character.
   186. Paul D(uda) Posted: February 23, 2014 at 09:15 PM (#4661192)
I finished Bioshock Infinite. I liked it quite a bit, and more than the first one. I think the bright setting helps with that. I suspect that the story, while fun, will seem dumber the more I think about it. I may just not think about it. Next up on my top games of 2013 is Gunpoint.

Actually, I'm having a couple of gaming/PC problems, maybe I'll ask here:

Does anyone ahve Max Payne 3 on Steam? I can't play it, because apparently my Club Rockstar account needs to talk to my Steam account, and I can't seem to get that to happen.

Also, sometimes when I'm playing a game or streaming video, my computer will start to beep. This happened in Bioshock and Hearthstone. Does this mean my video card is in trouble?
   187. Langer Monk Posted: February 24, 2014 at 08:12 PM (#4661743)
You may want to have a gadget or something to check GPU temp and CPU temps when you are doing that to see if it's heat.
   188. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: February 24, 2014 at 08:45 PM (#4661754)
Yeah, I use CoreTemp to check my temperatures after I do anything weird with my system, it's a small free program that should be in your toolkit.
   189. Tripon Posted: March 09, 2014 at 12:31 AM (#4668480)
Got an update, coming to 360/PS3/iOS/Android in April 10th, PS4/XB1 later. https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/441755908562231298

190. Dan Posted: March 09, 2014 at 12:56 AM (#4668489)
I'm not expecting RBI Baseball 14 to replace MLB The Show 14 as a diversion or a baseball simulation, but the iOS version should be a fun game to kill 5-10 spare minutes here or there when I can whip out my phone.
   191. Robert in Manhattan Beach Posted: March 09, 2014 at 06:23 AM (#4668511)

I bought my daughter a 3DS for Christmas, the XL version or whatever, the one with the bigger screen. It's great, although I just turn the 3D right off every time. My daughter has been hooked on the new Animal Crossing for months. It seems stupid to me but she checks in on that town every day.

I finished Bioshock Infinite. I liked it quite a bit, and more than the first one. I think the bright setting helps with that. I suspect that the story, while fun, will seem dumber the more I think about it.

Yeah, that's about right as far as the story. If I was to play one of them again, I think it would be the first one. I just loved the characters in the first one. Sander Cohen releasing an album called 'Why Even Ask?' gives me a chuckle to this day. I think if I had a fantasy sports team I would name it 'Why Even Ask?'
   192. Tripon Posted: March 09, 2014 at 08:57 PM (#4668809)

I got an XL, and its great.
   193. Manny Coon Posted: March 09, 2014 at 09:33 PM (#4668832)
To tie the 3DS and Bioshock Infitite discussion together:

Get the 3DS XL if you can, the bigger screen is worth it. I have three games, fire emblem, Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (haven't finished this one)

I've now finished Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and if you're interested in a game with story driven by multiple parallel realities, it's writing is done much better than Bioshock Infinite, so long as you don't mind playing a game that is a whole lot of reading and puzzle solving instead of action.

Before I finished that I played the previous game in the series Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, which is pretty decent although not as good VLR, however the two stories tie together pretty heavily, so if that type of game interests you, it is probably worth playing 999 first.
   194. Paul D(uda) Posted: March 10, 2014 at 08:29 PM (#4669263)
Yeah, it's definitely heat. Gets up to 70 degrees Celcius. Should I take it to a shop and see if they can find out what's going wrong?

I was trying to play Tomb Raider and it would not shut up. So I figured I'd reboot it, even though Tomb Raider seems like a lot of fun so far. I'd never played one before, so it's likely I have the cause and effect backwards, but it reminds me a lot of Uncharted, in a good way.
   195. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 10, 2014 at 08:33 PM (#4669265)
Your CPU or your graphics card gets to 70C? If that's your CPU that's awful news (still bad for the GPU but worse for the CPU). Are you overclocking and/or running an AMD chip?
   196. Select Storage Device Posted: March 10, 2014 at 09:37 PM (#4669284)
I'm not expecting RBI Baseball 14 to replace MLB The Show 14 as a diversion or a baseball simulation, but the iOS version should be a fun game to kill 5-10 spare minutes here or there when I can whip out my phone.

There's no real reason to expect it to be good on anything at this point. There has been zero info regarding anything about it -- even that date isn't confirmed. And if that is a real date? Smells like a dud. Even crapperific mobile games have media roll-outs one month before release. Something. Anything.

I will happily eat my words if it is enjoyable.
   197. Paul D(uda) Posted: March 10, 2014 at 10:02 PM (#4669289)

I'm not over clocking, but I've got an AMD Phenom IIX4 920 (Deneb). I don't really know what that means.
   198. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: March 11, 2014 at 08:42 AM (#4669380)
Open up the side, make sure all the fans are spinning properly (cpu/gpu/case). And make sure there isn't anything restricting the airflow around the case, like it being backed up smug against a desk or wall etc.

Also open task manager (ctrl+shift+esc), and check if any processes are using a lot of cpu clock time.
   199. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 11, 2014 at 08:49 AM (#4669383)
I'm not over clocking, but I've got an AMD Phenom IIX4 920 (Deneb). I don't really know what that means.

AMD chips tend to run a bit hotter than Intel chips, but even so you're way, way to hot here. In addition to the excellent advice offered by Fancy Pants Handle above, if you're comfortable opening up your case check and make sure there's good contact between your heatsink/fan and the chip itself. You may need to re-seat the heatsink with fresh thermal compound.
   200. zack Posted: March 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM (#4669436)
Stupid question, but have you vacuumed out your case recently? It could just be clogged up with dust.

And if you're like me, look carefully, because 4 years into owning my current case (and having cleaned it several times), I found a dust filter I had no idea was in there in the front of the case. It looked like a lint trap.

Assuming this is a PC you've had for awhile and it didn't always run super hot.
Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
James Kannengieser
for his generous support.