Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, October 03, 2019

Reds payroll growing for 2020 | Cincinnati Reds

Spend wisely.

Jim Furtado Posted: October 03, 2019 at 08:10 AM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: reds

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: October 03, 2019 at 09:19 AM (#5885803)
Any good outfielders and/or middle infielders on the market?

The Reds rotation is pretty much set with Gray, Castillo, Bauer, DeSclafini and a host of potential 5th guys. Granted, if Gerritt Cole really wanted to be a Red, I think you try to make that work, but, I don't see that happening (Cole wanting to be a Red).

Gotta hope Votto can bounce back a little bit, 3rd base is set. Reds need a SS and 2b, or a SS and CF (with Senzel going to 2b).

Reds 2nd basemen hit .221/.288/.390 How was Moustakas' 2nd base defense? He could help a lot.
   2. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: October 03, 2019 at 01:19 PM (#5885934)
Heyman reported yesterday that the Reds would be one of the teams that would make a run at Grandal this winter. He'd certainly be an upgrade, but they already get average-ish production for peanuts there.

Agree with Don about targeting a good OFer or possibly a 2b/SS. There is some speculation that Nick Senzel could be moved to 2B, which would really open up the OF. The Reds have been ridiculously bad with their OF for a while now. By overall OF WAA, they've been 12th or 13th in the NL in each of the last three seasons.
   3. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: October 03, 2019 at 01:32 PM (#5885948)
Grandal this winter. He'd certainly be an upgrade, but they already get average-ish production for peanuts there.

Yeah, i hope they do not go after Grandal. catcher wanting alot of money, on the wrong side of 30 now. Barnhart/Casali is fine. Hope TySteve takes decently to AAA next year and he may be able to start helping out by the end of next year and take over in 2021.
   4. Walt Davis Posted: October 03, 2019 at 05:28 PM (#5886083)
The top FA names

I can already tell you CF is very slim pickings -- Gardner's the closest you'll find to a good one. The rest of the OF is pretty slim pickings too -- Ozuna, Castellanos ... you'll note that list puts Puig as the 20th best FA.

Bumgarner or Keuchel might be feasible SP signings (only one). Rendon and Donaldson aren't good fits even if they were willing to pay their price so the best FA IFs look to be Didi and Moose. (Does it make sense to move Suarez to LF?)

Seems like an FA class with pretty good depth (I'd be happy for almost any of those 20 players to end up on the Cubs) but it's clustered at SP and 3B. The Cubs could use at least one of 2B/CF but there's nothing particularly attractive.
   5. Howie Menckel Posted: October 03, 2019 at 06:52 PM (#5886112)
Gardner's the closest you'll find to a good one.

what year is this again? I mean, he doesn't turn 37 until late next season - oh, wait....
   6. cardsfanboy Posted: October 03, 2019 at 08:10 PM (#5886162)
Any good outfielders and/or middle infielders on the market?

Depends on what you think of Ozuna.
   7. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: October 03, 2019 at 08:16 PM (#5886169)
Gardner's the closest you'll find to a good one.

I see no way he doesn't resign with the Yankees. He wants to be there, and they desperately need him.
   8. Ziggy is done with Dominican discotheques Posted: October 03, 2019 at 09:47 PM (#5886267)
I think that the name on that list I like the best (for the Reds - Cole ain't coming to town) is Castellanos. Mostly because of his age. He's in his age 27 season, so probably has a couple more peak years left. Some of the others (I'm looking at you Didi) look perfectly aged to catch only a decline phase. It's also a very pitcher-heavy list, which is unfortunate because, although you can never have too much pitching, it's really (as remarked above) the Reds' strength.
   9. Walt Davis Posted: October 04, 2019 at 05:03 AM (#5886338)
what year is this again? I mean, he doesn't turn 37 until late next season - oh, wait...

Believe me, I intended that more as a comment on the quality of other FA CF than to suggest Gardner at 36 would be a great get. Not that 4 WAR is anything to sneeze at, I'd gladly take him on the Cubs if he can guarantee us 2 WAR and something close to a full season.

I see no way he doesn't resign with the Yankees. He wants to be there, and they desperately need him.

The first bits I agree with but ... something will have to give somewhere ... Stanton, Judge, Hicks, Tauchmann, Frazier is already a pretty long list. Urshela, Andujar, LeMahieu, Torres ... are they gonna use Gleyber full-time at SS? ... a couple of Cs, a 1B ... that's 12-13 position players already while already dropping one of Ford/Voit. Now if they're ready to write off or trade at least one of Tauchmann or Frazier, then there's easily room for Gardner.

Jesus, what are they doing with Hicks under contract for 6 more years? It's all pretty cheap but who thought he was worth wrapping up for 7 years?

Good god, is Frazier really THAT bad on defense? TZ puts him at -12, Rfield at -8, UZR -9, statcast -13 outs ... in just 400 innings. Is Adam Dunn the Yanks' OF coach? If that's remotely close to true, he's pretty much worthless and somebody needs to teach him 1B or find a team that wants a not-so-great-hitting DH.
   10. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: October 04, 2019 at 07:34 AM (#5886342)
The first bits I agree with but ... something will have to give somewhere ... Stanton, Judge, Hicks, Tauchmann, Frazier is already a pretty long list. Urshela, Andujar, LeMahieu, Torres ... are they gonna use Gleyber full-time at SS? ... a couple of Cs, a 1B ... that's 12-13 position players already while already dropping one of Ford/Voit. Now if they're ready to write off or trade at least one of Tauchmann or Frazier, then there's easily room for Gardner.

Frazier looks very likely to be traded somehow, presumably to an AL team where DH is at least an option. His value must be quite a bit depressed by the last couple of years, defense and health, but it does strongly look like he can at least hit, and it feels like someone will take a punt that at least part of his problems are due to utilization. I also don't think New York will count on much from Tauchman, who's definitely been a very pleasant surprise for New York, but I think is more likely than Urshela to turn out to be a fluke. Andujar to learn LF/RF?

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Stormy JE
for his generous support.