Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Report: A-Rod used banned PEDs with MLB’s permission in 2007 MVP season

Before the 2007 season, Rodriguez asked for permission to use testosterone, which has been banned by baseball since 2003. The (independent program administrator) in ’07 was Bryan W. Smith, a High Point, N.C., physician. (Baseball did not yet have the advisory medical panel.) On Feb. 16, 2007, two days before Rodriguez reported to spring training, Smith granted the exemption, allowing Rodriguez to use testosterone all season.

The exemption was revealed in a transcript of Rodriguez’s fall 2013 grievance hearing. During that proceeding, MLB entered into evidence several exemptions applied for by Rodriguez during his Yankees tenure. In his testimony, MLB chief operating officer Rob Manfred called testosterone “the mother of all anabolics” and said that exemptions for the substance are “very rare,” partly because “some people who have been involved in this field feel that with a young male, healthy young male, the most likely cause of low testosterone requiring this type of therapy would be prior steroid abuse.”

So maybe there’s something to ARod fighting his suspension after all.

TDF, situational idiot Posted: July 02, 2014 at 03:44 PM | 54 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: alex rodriguez, peds

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Captain Supporter Posted: July 02, 2014 at 04:17 PM (#4742125)
"The most like cause of low testosterone requiring this type of therapy would be prior steroid abuse."

Or maybe not.
   2. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: July 02, 2014 at 05:09 PM (#4742171)
Oh please.
   3. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: July 02, 2014 at 05:14 PM (#4742177)
Hoo boy. The captain has just turned on the FASTEN SAFETY BELTS sign.....
   4. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: July 02, 2014 at 05:17 PM (#4742182)
Over/under: 400 posts.
   5. Bhaakon Posted: July 02, 2014 at 05:25 PM (#4742192)
“some people who have been involved in this field feel that with a young male, healthy young male, the most likely cause of low testosterone requiring this type of therapy would be prior steroid abuse.”

Or gelding.
   6. Dale Sams Posted: July 02, 2014 at 05:43 PM (#4742207)
I never again want to hear the Mitchell Meme.
   7. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: July 02, 2014 at 05:46 PM (#4742212)
I'd thought about this before. MLB wants stars to market. So it would make sense for them to secretly allow some of its top players to use steroids to be bigger stars, while leaving the public with the impression that the current generation of star players is drug free. Not that this means they're doing that; it could be for a legit medical reason here, but here is fuel for the conspiracy theorists.
   8. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:00 PM (#4742230)
I never again want to hear the Mitchell Meme.

Not snarking here, but what is the Mitchell Meme?
   9. tfbg9 Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:00 PM (#4742231)
I never again want to hear the Mitchell Meme

It's all part of The Great Puppet Master's evil plan...be patient my child.
   10. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:11 PM (#4742244)
[8] The statement that George Mitchell purposefully looked the other way concerning Red Sox players when he wrote the Mitchell Report.
   11. Dale Sams Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:12 PM (#4742246)
Not snarking here, but what is the Mitchell Meme?

There are one or two here that believe Papi and Manny juiced while on the Sox and that Mitchell knew, and overlooked it. Never mind that Mitchell could only investigate the leads he actually had.
   12. tfbg9 Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:18 PM (#4742251)
[8] The notion that George Mitchell is covertly the most powerful man in the entire world, but nobody else knows this but some weird guy on the internet.
   13. Captain Supporter Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:34 PM (#4742264)
George Mitchell was always known as a very partisan politician. To think that he might not have brought that quality to the Red Sox is naive in the extreme. We are talking about a man who told lies for a living.

The very notion that George Mitchell would be above such a thing is laughable. However, given that there is no way to look inside the man's head or review the methodology and details of his investigation, I agree that there is not much to be gained in rehashing any of this.

My comment in the leadoff space was just a rejoinder to the snark of the poster, not an opening salvo to a Mitchell report debate.
   14. tfbg9 Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:42 PM (#4742276)
The idea that the idiots on this site know more about the clandestine dealings of The Great Puppet Master than do fully accredited conspiracy theorists is mockable in the extreme.
   15. Captain Supporter Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:47 PM (#4742283)
If you are referring to me, my whole point is that I don't know anything about any clandestine dealings. I just think that given his background and record, the man was clearly quite acquainted with that kind of thing.

16. shoewizard Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:49 PM (#4742286)
I'd thought about this before. MLB wants stars to market. So it would make sense for them to secretly allow some of its top players to use steroids to be bigger stars, while leaving the public with the impression that the current generation of star players is drug free. Not that this means they're doing that; it could be for a legit medical reason here, but here is fuel for the conspiracy theorists.

From This Link first a gratuitious quote for sure to induce snickers....and the the money quote on "plausible deniability"

Rodriguez, ...... applied for two other exemptions in 2008. He was given permission to use Clomid, according to the book, which is prescribed to men who suffer from hypogonadism. But he was denied permission to use human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG), which is used for weight loss while also producing testosterone.

"All decisions regarding whether a player shall receive a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) under the Joint Drug Program are made by the Independent Program Administrator (IPA) in consultation with outside medical experts, with no input by either the Office of the Commissioner or the Players Association,'' MLB officials said in a statement. "The process is confidentially administered by the IPA, and MLB and the MLBPA are not even made aware of which players applied for TUEs.
   17. Baldrick Posted: July 02, 2014 at 07:18 PM (#4742303)
George Mitchell was always known as a very partisan politician. To think that he might not have brought that quality to the Red Sox is naive in the extreme. We are talking about a man who told lies for a living.

Oh go stick your head in a pig.
   18. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 02, 2014 at 07:40 PM (#4742315)
The exemption was revealed in a transcript of Rodriguez’s fall 2013 grievance hearing.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the arbitration hearing wasn't a public proceeding and the transcript hasn't been publicly released, has it? Isn't this yet another case of MLB leaking information - in this case, highly personal medical information - that it has promised to keep confidential? Any wonder that players are reluctant to give MLB any confidential or private information?
   19. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Posted: July 02, 2014 at 07:56 PM (#4742325)
I just think that given his background and record, the man was clearly quite acquainted with that kind of thing.
Well that's certainly enough evidence for me.
   20. tshipman Posted: July 02, 2014 at 08:44 PM (#4742340)
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the arbitration hearing wasn't a public proceeding and the transcript hasn't been publicly released, has it? Isn't this yet another case of MLB leaking information - in this case, highly personal medical information - that it has promised to keep confidential? Any wonder that players are reluctant to give MLB any confidential or private information?

Yes, exactly. Also, from the article linked in 16, MLB was not supposed to be aware of the identity of players who applied for a TUE.

Seems like MLB "somehow" has access to all this information that is supposed to be confidential. If I were MLBPA, I would have a serious problem with this.
   21. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: July 02, 2014 at 08:53 PM (#4742345)
If Mitchell (part-owner of the Red Sox, but I believe he divested himself from the club financially before the investigation) overlooking Ortiz (The Manny wrinkle is new to me) is a crazy conspiracy theory, that brings my conspiracy-believin' to one.
   22. Walt Davis Posted: July 02, 2014 at 09:29 PM (#4742357)
Why would MLB link this? It makes them seem complicit.

It's one of them deep philosophical conundrums. ARod has admitted to using PEDs prior to testing ... I don't recall when he admitted it. But pre-testing usage -- y'know, when it wasn't against the rules of baseball -- led to a sustained under-production of certain hormones or other medical issues, why shouldn't a player have been eligible for a TUE? Whether that under-production was caused by previous steroid use or not seems immaterial unless it could be shown that the previous usage occurred after it became against the rules. (Questions about who would have the burden of proof exist.)

So I don't necessarily have a problem with MLB having issued some TUEs to ARod as long as they applied the same standards as they did to others who applied. And even if they granted ARod an exemption when they denied other players under similar circumstances, I might well decide the proper solution to that would have been to grant them to the other players rather than treat ARod "fairly" by denying his.

Also ... under the BBWAA/BBTF anti-roid wing sponsored Restorative Usage Act of 2004, shouldn't such usage be allowed?
   23. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 02, 2014 at 09:59 PM (#4742371)
Boy the Red Sox fans are sensitive. Can't bear the fact that your beloved townies cheated as much as anyone else?
   24. pthomas Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:02 PM (#4742372)
Love to see the list of all pro athletes with exemptions for ADD drugs, etc, etc etc.
   25. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:14 PM (#4742379)
Love to see the list of all pro athletes with exemptions for ADD drugs, etc, etc etc.

I did read a while ago that 98% of triathletes are listed as asthmatic so they can use those puffer things which expand your lungs. Apparently this helps heaps just before the swim leg(beginning of the race).
   26. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:24 PM (#4742383)

The very notion that George Mitchell would be above such a thing is laughable. However, given that there is no way to look inside the man's head or review the methodology and details of his investigation, I agree that there is not much to be gained in rehashing any of this.

I always knew you were an idiot. Not this much of a fucking idiot.

Plonk
   27. Dale Sams Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:33 PM (#4742388)
Boy the Red Sox fans are sensitive. Can't bear the fact that your beloved townies cheated as much as anyone else?

It's not that. It's the logic that Mitchell is supposed to have discovered Ortiz and Ramirez's steroid use. That's like saying "How come the Hillside Strangler detectives didn't solve the Zodiac Murders?"

Mitchell can only investigate the leads he has. It's not like he took a drug-sniffing dog through every locker room in MLB.
   28. Bitter Mouse Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:40 PM (#4742389)

I am pretty sure legally this would violate HIPAA and other sundry laws.
   29. winnipegwhip Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:43 PM (#4742390)
Mitchell can only investigate the leads he has. It's not like he took a drug-sniffing dog through every locker room in MLB

And we know that when it comes to investigations MLB only has played within the rules to gather evidence.
   30. tshipman Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:53 PM (#4742398)
I am pretty sure legally this would violate HIPAA and other sundry laws.

This has not seemed to bother MLB thus far.
   31. Lassus Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:53 PM (#4742399)
Speaking for myself only, and not feeling anyone else should have the same reaction:

SNORE

I just don't care, at all.

EDIT: Wait, I take that back - I care about this, which I just read above: "Oh go stick your head in a pig." I will have to steal THAT one.
   32. Bitter Mouse Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:58 PM (#4742403)
I just don't care, at all.

I came here hoping for Centaur jokes or some world class snark. I got a little of both, but not as much as I hoped. Sadly I have no original Centaur jokes. Sigh. I should do some research or prep work. It used to be so easy. The past was full of greener pastures. Nah, too easy.

This has not seemed to bother MLB thus far.

Point.
   33. Dale Sams Posted: July 02, 2014 at 11:02 PM (#4742407)
And we know that when it comes to investigations MLB only has played within the rules to gather evidence.

That's a horse of a different color.
   34. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: July 02, 2014 at 11:04 PM (#4742408)
Did you just read the entire thread, Lassus, only to bemoan it as a discussion that is beneath your notice? Isn't that the point of BBTF?

Who won the AL East in 2005?!?!?

Did Mets management think they were getting Carlos Zambrano, instead of Victor?
   35. ptodd Posted: July 02, 2014 at 11:28 PM (#4742424)
Most missing the forest for the trees here.

1. Why was Arod granted an exemption in 2007 but not in subsequent years.

2. What was the purpose of this leak.

3. If MLB can prove that Arod fraudulently was granted an exemption, this could be grounds for another suspension, which could be a lifetime ban.

4. If Arods application was legit, yet MLB changed its policy to allow further exemptions after his MONSTER 2007 year, then Arod would be forced to play baseball with a testosterone deficiency. This is a serious condition for an athlete and it could be career ending since PED's are no longer an option for Arod.

5. Yankees and Arod could theoretically claim Arod is medically unfit to play baseball. Arod collects his full salary. Yankees collect insurance. Arods AAV removed from the Yankees LT calculations. That would be HUGE and perhaps the leak is to prepare the road for this.
   36. Lassus Posted: July 03, 2014 at 12:01 AM (#4742441)
Did you just read the entire thread, Lassus, only to bemoan it as a discussion that is beneath your notice? Isn't that the point of BBTF?

I bemoan nothing, nor do I find the discussion was beneath my notice. Neither of those is the same as being unable to find anything in the MLB/A-Rod morass that calls to me.
   37. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 03, 2014 at 12:12 AM (#4742444)
If MLB can prove that Arod fraudulently was granted an exemption, this could be grounds for another suspension, which could be a lifetime ban.

Is there any CBA provision allowing MLB to reopen the decisions of the Independent Program Administrator? That would seem unusual.
   38. Al Kaline Trio Posted: July 03, 2014 at 01:24 AM (#4742458)
5. Yankees and Arod could theoretically claim Arod is medically unfit to play baseball. Arod collects his full salary. Yankees collect insurance. Arods AAV removed from the Yankees LT calculations. That would be HUGE and perhaps the leak is to prepare the road for this.

Paging YR to the courtesy line!
   39. Lassus Posted: July 03, 2014 at 08:13 AM (#4742483)
You know, it seemed to me somehow my indifference was relevant to the discussion, and I suppose upon reflection and a night's rest that really isn't the case. Sorry about that.
   40. tfbg9 Posted: July 03, 2014 at 08:25 AM (#4742485)
If sticking your head in a pig could make you a better ballplayer, does anyone here doubt for a second that Arod would be the first guy to go for it?
   41. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 03, 2014 at 09:23 AM (#4742506)

Yeah, the insurer is not just going to roll over and pay.
   42. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: July 03, 2014 at 09:28 AM (#4742510)
It's possible that hypothesis could have merit even if the insurer doesn't pay; A-Rod getting paid while the Yankees get his contract removed from their luxury tax calculation may be a deal worth considering for all parties.

The only problem is, what evidence do we have that Bud wants to help the Yankees get A-Rod off their luxury tax? That intuitively seems like something the players' union would want and MLB would be opposed to. After all, the luxury tax money goes straight into Bud's personal slush fund, which for all we know he spends on a 500 square foot private bathroom with a solid gold toilet and the walls papered with $100 bills.
   43. Benji Gil Gamesh Rises Posted: July 03, 2014 at 09:48 AM (#4742522)
If sticking your head in a pig could make you a better ballplayer, does anyone here doubt for a second that Arod would be the first guy to go for it?
No. But by the same token if sticking your head in a pig--and leaking that info to the press--could make you seem anti-ARod and tough on PEDs Selig would be at the head of the line and asking whether he shouldn't stick his head in multiple breeds, domesticated and wild, just to be sure.
   44. Lassus Posted: July 03, 2014 at 09:56 AM (#4742526)

Does anyone doubt he'd be one of at least 100 to go for it?
   45. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 03, 2014 at 10:42 AM (#4742561)
Paging YR to the courtesy line!

Wait, what?
   46. rufus was here Posted: July 03, 2014 at 11:07 AM (#4742585)
Amazed that no one has mentioned the quality of that 2007 Arod season yet.

He was unbelievably good -- best year of his career? Best ever season for right-handed batter in NYY history? And pretty much zero chance the Yanks make the playoffs that year without him.

Talk about good timing for an opt-out, because he not only leveraged it for that historically bad contract, but it was before the economy tanked and the Yankees were looking ahead to their shiny new stadium, which they wanted to fill with superstars.

Ah, hindsight.
   47. Ron J2 Posted: July 03, 2014 at 11:42 AM (#4742616)
#46 Says something about how good ARod is that you can agree on the unbelievably good and also add that it's indistinguishable in value from his 2005. And that on balance he was better in 2000 (slightly less offensive value, more defensive value) and roughly equal in value in 1996.
   48. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: July 03, 2014 at 11:44 AM (#4742618)
This thread is bringing out the crazy.
   49. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 03, 2014 at 12:25 PM (#4742658)
You know, it seemed to me somehow my indifference was relevant to the discussion, and I suppose upon reflection and a night's rest that really isn't the case. Sorry about that.

I disagree. If people are going to comment on what a controversial hot-button topic this is (see Post 4), it's valid for others to point out that it's boring and ultimately inconsequential. Besides, I agree with you: Between A-Rod burnout and a recognition that nothing is going to come of this, I find it hard to be interested in the subject.
   50. villageidiom Posted: July 03, 2014 at 01:16 PM (#4742720)
Most missing the forest for the trees here.

I think a lot of your trees have fallen and decomposed.
1. Why was Arod granted an exemption in 2007 but not in subsequent years.
A-Rod did not seek an exemption for testosterone in subsequent years, at least according to the book. He sought (and got) an exemption for Clomid in 2008, which can stimulate the production of testosterone.
2. What was the purpose of this leak.
The purpose of acquiring the information from arbitration transcripts was to write a book. It's unclear who has the transcripts, and therefore who leaked them, and therefore what the purpose of the leak was. I'll assume whoever leaked them knew this book was being written. Whether this book is laudatory of MLB, or critical of them, remains to be seen. It almost certainly isn't laudatory of A-Rod, but much of the MLBPA isn't laudatory of A-Rod at this point, either.
3. If MLB can prove that Arod fraudulently was granted an exemption, this could be grounds for another suspension, which could be a lifetime ban.
It might be true that fraud to gain an exemption could itself be a violation of the JDA, but it's extremely unlikely that MLB would be able to prove he had done so.
4. If Arods application was legit, yet MLB changed its policy to allow further exemptions after his MONSTER 2007 year, then Arod would be forced to play baseball with a testosterone deficiency. This is a serious condition for an athlete and it could be career ending since PED's are no longer an option for Arod.
Exemptions aren't up to MLB. And the IPA did grant A-Rod an exemption in 2008 for a drug to stimulate production of testosterone, but not exemptions for everything he applied for.
A-Rod is medically fit to play baseball. He might play poorly, and he might be more likely to injure himself, and he might be slow to heal. But from an insurance perspective that's still "fit to play". I don't see any solution for the Yankees that involves insurance payments for A-Rod's salary. Either he retires, or he doesn't. Either he's traded to a team that will eat his salary, or he's not.
   51. Al Kaline Trio Posted: July 03, 2014 at 02:08 PM (#4742758)
#45 I just thought you would have some cool conspiracy of Bud screwing the Yankees here.
   52. Walt Davis Posted: July 03, 2014 at 06:32 PM (#4742895)
lifetime ban ... leaving aside any potential violation, the arbitrator's logic was that ARod was guilty of three first-time violations. It took a lot of language parsing -- which in the end I think I agreed with given how unclear the JDA is in some sections -- but he did hold that the notification clause holds but it does not provide carte blanche coverage for multiple violations involving different substances.

Seems to me that any ARod violation at this point is a 2nd offense, not a 3rd.
   53. Baldrick Posted: July 03, 2014 at 08:59 PM (#4742983)
EDIT: Wait, I take that back - I care about this, which I just read above: "Oh go stick your head in a pig." I will have to steal THAT one.

Can't take credit for that one. Douglas Adams.
   54. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 04, 2014 at 04:44 PM (#4743446)
There are one or two here that believe Papi and Manny juiced while on the Sox and that Mitchell knew, and overlooked it. Never mind that Mitchell could only investigate the leads he actually had.
As I pointed out at the time, Mitchell didn't "investigate" any leads at all; rather, he took what was handed to him by the government. He made virtually no effort to talk to people who were not handed to him -- even though every single person not in the MLBPA, from front office to on-field personnel, could be compelled under threat of punishment by MLB to speak to him.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Los Angeles El Hombre de Anaheim
for his generous support.