Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Report: Ronald Acuña turned down $30 million contract extension from Braves

He needs to stay healthy.

Arturo Marcano of ESPN Deportes reports that Braves outfield prospect Ronald Acuña turned down a $30 million contract extension from the Braves. This comes on the heels of recent extensions signed by Scott Kingery (six years, $24 million) and Ketel Marte (five years, $24 million).

Jim Furtado Posted: March 27, 2018 at 08:26 AM | 118 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: braves, ronald acuna

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. PreservedFish Posted: March 28, 2018 at 11:28 AM (#5644185)
I had a friend that was a personal assistant to a not totally unfamous Silicon Valley CEO type (no, not Zuck or Jobs). The CEO had several assistants - a business one, a personal one, and a travel one. The family had 3 nannies, for one child, I think. My friend's job was to, for example, go to a shoe store and purchase several thousands of dollars of shoes, 3-4 different styles and 3-4 sizes of each one, and bring them home. This big cheese would try on the shoes, select one or two to keep, and my friend would return the rest. For travel, the travel assistant would purchase tickets for maybe 6 different flights, and would cancel them as they popped up until the big man boarded one, and then the assistant would cancel the remaining ones. Perhaps that's common practice among those that don't have private planes?
   102. McCoy Posted: March 28, 2018 at 11:37 AM (#5644197)
Seems cheaper just to buy a private plane.
   103. bfan Posted: March 28, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5644200)
We now have 103 comments about a story that was made up; very impressive. Who the heck is Arturo Morcano, and does he always make stuff up?
   104. McCoy Posted: March 28, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5644201)
I cooked for some guy's birthday or some such thing in Westchester county NY. He was apparently a florist or something like that. In the flower business. 3 kids, each had a nanny, at least one housekeeper that I saw and a gigantic home. Another guy in Scarsdale that I cooked for had two kids and they had a soccer field (an actual laid out field, net and lines and all, a basketball court, tennis courts, and a large pool to go along with a ginormous house. Had at least one nanny and a housekeeper that I saw. The funny part for was as I was walking in from their gigantic wraparound deck from where the grill was the door handle to the door fell off. I kind of laughed at that. This guy has something like an at least 5 million dollar home and his hardware is still shoddy like everyone else's. Did another party in which at least 3 different people either had yachts recently being built or were being built and they were talking about their crews for them.

Anyway while I was at the florist guy's house I was trying to figure out what his yearly costs had to be what with the house, the cars, and at least 4 human beings being employed by him It was a staggering amount, at least I thought at the time.
   105. PreservedFish Posted: March 28, 2018 at 11:51 AM (#5644213)
Seems cheaper just to buy a private plane.

I think he was in a frequent flier category that allowed him to cancel flights without penalties.
   106. McCoy Posted: March 28, 2018 at 12:04 PM (#5644232)
Might be a super duper secret frequent flyer category but Delta doesn't let you cancel your flight without it costing you. You can alter your flight same day with Delta but of course you have to fly out that day so if you bought 6 tickets you're paying for 6 tickets. Southwest does allow you to cancel and get a credit that can be used within a year but I doubt the guy is traveling Southwest and if he's continously buying 6 tickets eventually he's going to have to pay for unused tickets.
   107. PreservedFish Posted: March 28, 2018 at 12:08 PM (#5644235)
Yeah, I dunno. This is just what I heard.
   108. dlf Posted: March 28, 2018 at 12:11 PM (#5644241)
Let me see . . $1,000,000. Perhaps you mean three commas?

My wealth is such that I no longer need to be able to count. :)
   109. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 28, 2018 at 12:13 PM (#5644242)
101 - this guy sounds like a real douche.
   110. Greg Pope Posted: March 28, 2018 at 12:31 PM (#5644259)
Might be a super duper secret frequent flyer category but Delta doesn't let you cancel your flight without it costing you. You can alter your flight same day with Delta but of course you have to fly out that day so if you bought 6 tickets you're paying for 6 tickets. Southwest does allow you to cancel and get a credit that can be used within a year but I doubt the guy is traveling Southwest and if he's continously buying 6 tickets eventually he's going to have to pay for unused tickets.

You can buy refundable tickets, they just cost a lot more. Based on the story, I'm guessing that's what he did.

111. McCoy Posted: March 28, 2018 at 12:41 PM (#5644272)
Do they still charge you the $200 "convenience fee" if you ask for a refund?
   112. PreservedFish Posted: March 28, 2018 at 12:50 PM (#5644286)
There's also the chance that I'm wrong, that someone exaggerated, etc. But I'm right about the shoes thing.

Also, no idea if the guy was a jerk or not, but I know he was very nice to my friend. When she got married he paid for the honeymoon airfare and a swank night at a Paris Michelin-starred hotel/restaurant. More than you'd expect from most bosses, I'd say.
   113. bunyon Posted: March 28, 2018 at 01:01 PM (#5644299)
I have only ever purchased one first class ticket. I needed to get somewhere in a hurry and that was the only seat on any flight that got me where I needed to be when I needed to be there. And, then, suddenly, the urgency for the trip was gone.

I was able to move that ticket with no fee. I just explained the situation and they made the change. So, is that normal for first class?

My sense is that when you spend the big bucks, you buy a lot of flexibility.
   114. dlf Posted: March 28, 2018 at 01:11 PM (#5644310)
I was able to move that ticket with no fee. I just explained the situation and they made the change. So, is that normal for first class?

Depends. A F-class ticket (full fare first class) is pretty much 100% changeable. J is the full-fare business class and airlines will usually allow pretty liberal changes. Y (full-fare coach) almost always will result in an upgrade to first if you are enrolled in the frequent flier program even with low status, but is exchangeable only for another coach seat. A and P are first class, but discounted and offer less ability to change and sometimes a fee; ditto R & D for business class.
   115. bigglou115 is not an Illuminati agent Posted: March 28, 2018 at 04:18 PM (#5644486)
I always said if I was worth a billion dollars I'd live exactly my life except I'd hire a person to walk around with me and keep my shoes tied. For some reason, even though I'm 99% sure I'm doing it just like everyone else, my shoes never stay tied. No personal assistant, probably work the same job and live in the same place, I'd just have a 24 hour a day shoe monitor.
   116. Copronymus Posted: March 29, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5645184)
For some reason, even though I'm 99% sure I'm doing it just like everyone else, my shoes never stay tied.

It's possible you're using a Granny Knot since it's very easy to do instead of something that's less likely to slip out. I know I either learned the wrong way or jumbled the instructions in my head at some point and spent way too long constantly re-tying my shoes before having to re-train myself in something that will hold.
   117. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: March 29, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5645191)
You're either tying your laces poorly, or you wear shoes with round laces, which tend to come undone.

I can only hope this thread turns to 100 posts about tying shoes.
   118. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: March 29, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5645194)
Jonah Keri always asks his podcast guests for a life tip, and one of them was to do the initial lace crossing upside down (for me, I now pass the right-hand lace on top of, then looped around the left-hand lace), and your shoes will stay tied. I can't tell if that's what #116 is referencing, but it was a life-changer that has worked for me.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.