Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Roy Halladay says says lower back, not shoulder, hampered him in 2012

Years ago I threw my back out playing hoops. Went to a wacky chiropracty who got me naked and attached a dual-pronged flipper heating machine to me. (yes…I check YouTube daily)

Halladay said he and doctors eventually determined that his upper back/shoulder problems stemmed from issues with his lower back, which he said he had trouble loosening throughout the season, causing him to change the mechanics of his upper torso.

Halladay said that after consulations with team trainers and doctors, he completely overhauled his usual offseason conditioning routine, focusing on more sport specific/dynamic movements that built strength and flexibility in his lower back and core.

The result?

“I feel as good now as I have any other spring training,” Halladay said. “Last year, it wasn’t as if I felt bad, it just never really clicked for me.”

Halladay will turn 36 years old in May, but he said he is confident that he can still be effective. When asked if he had to alter his workload during games, Halladay said he still felt like he could throw 120 pitches. He said the work between days is what needs to change.

“I’m confident that if I can maintain the way I feel right now, I’m confident I can be effective,” Halladay said. “

Repoz Posted: February 13, 2013 at 01:44 PM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: phillies

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Joey B. Posted: February 13, 2013 at 02:10 PM (#4368891)
Yep, that's what happens with old age; the back is usually one of the first things to go.
   2. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: February 13, 2013 at 03:13 PM (#4368978)
Best shape of his mid-30s.
   3. JRVJ Posted: February 13, 2013 at 04:00 PM (#4369020)
I'm a Phillies fan, so take my comment with a grain of salt, but I would love for Roy to come back and be the pitcher he has been for the last decade (or even 95% of that).

He has been a joy, and while not at the Clemens-Maddux-Pedro level, he certainly is a HoF level pitcher, IMO.
   4. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: February 13, 2013 at 04:04 PM (#4369026)
JRVJ, Halladay is a class act all the way and pure joy to watch, if you like to watch pitchers pitch. He has a touch of the nasty towards umps, which is kind of fun too.
   5. Austin Posted: February 13, 2013 at 06:00 PM (#4369130)
I agree. The game of baseball is better off when Halladay is in top form. Before his injury problems last year, he was one of my favorite pitchers to watch (Cliff Lee was another, for similar reasons).
   6. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: February 13, 2013 at 07:44 PM (#4369181)
He has been a joy, and while not at the Clemens-Maddux-Pedro level, he certainly is a HoF level pitcher, IMO.

Well not many MLB pitchers have ever been at the level of those 3 guys, that's a very high bar.

I too concur though. Great to watch him work, love the way he seems to pitch to contact, yet still has that K/9 around 8. One more win and I definitely think he's a "hit by a bus" HOFer.
   7. Rusty Priske Posted: February 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM (#4369542)
I would like to see him hit Free Agency and then sign to play for Toronto for a couple of more years before he retires.

Then go into the Hall of Fame with a Blue Jays hat.

(As much as I love him getting that Perfect Game, I am afraid that it may change his HoF headwear.)
   8. Misirlou was a Buddhist prodigy Posted: February 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM (#4369544)
(As much as I love him getting that Perfect Game, I am afraid that it may change his HoF headwear.)

And the post-season no-hitter.
   9. Jesse Barfield's Right Arm Posted: February 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM (#4369552)
Unless he plays another 5 years at a high level with the Phils, he'll were a Jays cap in Cooperstowm. Right now with 90 starts with Philly compared with 287 in Toronto. Even on the Cy Young Awards, and a good postseason bounce for the Phils, but not near enough time spent.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Tuque
for his generous support.