Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, March 04, 2013

Rumor: Cano, A-Rod, Braun To Be Suspended for Failed PED Test

Anonymous Source: Cano, Granderson, A-Rod and Braun will all be suspended for failing PED test this season.

— Joe Bisceglie (@joebisceglie) March 4, 2013

You’d be inclined to be skeptical, and for fair reason — Bisceglie doesn’t name his source. This kind of story is explosive, and deserves tender care before people start going on witch hunts and throwing names out there with no rationale. But consider this: Bisceglie correctly prognosticated that Melky Cabrera would be suspended last season for a failed PED test almost a month before his suspension came.

My sources tell me that Melky Cabrera will be suspended soon for violation of MLB’s PED policy

— Joe Bisceglie (@joebisceglie) July 18, 2012

madvillain Posted: March 04, 2013 at 11:31 PM | 414 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: steroids

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5
   401. Bitter Mouse Posted: March 08, 2013 at 07:24 PM (#4384605)
I think I brought it up here recently before, but I really, really like that movie!

I like all three of his movies. I saw Barcelona first and it is my favorite.
   402. JJ1986 Posted: March 08, 2013 at 07:31 PM (#4384611)
I like all three of his movies

He made a new movie (Damsels in Distress) last year. I think it's my second favorite (after Metropolitan).
   403. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: March 09, 2013 at 07:34 AM (#4384873)
"Before disco this country really was a dancing wasteland. You know the Woodstock generation of the 1960s, that were so full of themselves and conceited? None of those people could dance."

--Charlotte (Kate Beckinsale), The Last Days of Disco (1998)

What shite. The joyful albeit chaotic dancing that went on in the 60s was wonderful. Disco was like public school in the 19th century. It trained us to stand in line for the corporate fucking we were about to receive.

And Kate Beckinsale is the acting version of tapioca.

404. Publius Publicola Posted: March 09, 2013 at 10:29 AM (#4384912)
And Kate Beckinsale is the acting version of tapioca.

She's a hottie though, ain't she?
   405. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: March 09, 2013 at 02:28 PM (#4385037)
Whoa.

Surely that's illegal?
   406. jyjjy Posted: March 09, 2013 at 04:02 PM (#4385054)
She should have her children taken away?
   407. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: March 09, 2013 at 06:24 PM (#4385139)
Or make more of them. I had no idea she did that sort of posing. I'm impressed. Perhaps 'awed' is closer to the mark.
   408. Fat Al Posted: March 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM (#4389431)
Rotoworld just posted this:

ESPN's T.J. Quinn reports that Major League Baseball is "actively going after" any players connected to the Biogenesis clinic, with Alex Rodriguez and Ryan Braun "strongly in their sights."
Quin notes that MLB put strong pressure on minor leaguer Cesar Carrillo to cooperate with their investigation, and suspended him 100 games for being on Biogenesis documents and lying about knowing Anthony Bosch. While it's clear that A-Rod and Braun could still face disciplinary action for their involvement, any attempt to suspend them will be contested by the MLBPA. At least nine other major league players have have been linked to the clinic, including Melky Cabrera, Nelson Cruz, and Gio Gonzalez.
   409. JJ1986 Posted: March 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM (#4389437)
I thought MLB hasn't seen the documents.
   410. Fat Al Posted: March 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM (#4389445)
They've seen something, since they just suspended Carrillo for it:

The Detroit Tigers say minor league right-hander Cesar Carrillo has been suspended 100 games for violating baseball's minor league drug prevention and treatment program.

The team posted a release on its website Friday, saying the commissioner's office announced the suspension.

Carrillo's suspension is effective at the start of the season. He is currently on the roster of Erie, which is Detroit's Double-A affiliate.

Carrillo's name was included in a Miami New Times report earlier this year, when the alternative weekly newspaper said it had acquired records from a Florida clinic the paper said sold performance-enhancing drugs.
   411. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: March 16, 2013 at 02:10 PM (#4389484)
Carrillo made the fatal mistake of being a minor league player.
   412. base ball chick Posted: March 16, 2013 at 02:29 PM (#4389495)
the newspaper "acquired" medical records? without a signed release from any patient? which is against like HOW many federal laws?

minor league baseball can basically do anything they want to to the players.

at least in MLB, they have to follow rules and can't suspend/punish player based on gossip or something found in someone's room (could have been planted there) or handwritten, unverified clnic "records"

i know there are all kinds of media and "fans" who want a lifetime ban like pete rose for even one problem, including failed test, gossip, stuff found in lockers, but i don't - it would be incredibly simple to drug someone's shower stuff, food, drink - plant fake "records" - plant anything illegal in their locker/bags/home/hotel room. get rid of vernon wells type guys, get rid of your rival/enemy. heck, you could even get a groupie/prostitute to use one of those vaginal suppositories that freddy galvis got nailed (hahaha) for
   413. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: March 16, 2013 at 02:46 PM (#4389506)
which is against like HOW many federal laws?

Well, the newspaper has a good first amendment defense for having and using the medical records, but whoever gave them the records definitely broke the law. Of course, many states also have reporter shield laws for sources that will allow the journalists to refuse to divulge their source.

eta: Wow Kate Beckinsale looks amazing.
   414. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: March 16, 2013 at 02:50 PM (#4389509)
the newspaper "acquired" medical records?

Well I assume it's just the financial records of the clinic, not the actual medical records of the patients.
Page 5 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Infinite Joost (Voxter)
for his generous support.