Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Sabermetric Research: Birnbaum: Chopped liver

And let the DIPS fall where they may…

And so Dr. Bradbury sets out to correct this. How? Not by reviewing the existing research, and validating it academically. Not by finding those studies which have “insufficient statistical rigor” and analyzing them statistically. Not by summarizing what’s already out there and criticizing it.

No, Dr. Bradbury’s paper ignores it. Completely. He mentions none of it in his article, not even in the bibliography. Instead, Dr. Bradbury’s explains his own study as if it’s the first and only test of the DIPS hypothesis.

This happens all the time in academic studies involving baseball. Years of sabermetric advances, as valid as anything in the journals, are dismissed out of hand because of a kind of academic credentialism, an assumption that only formal academic treatment entitles a body of knowledge to be considered, and the presumption that only the kinds of methods that econometricians use are worthy of acknowledgement.

Repoz Posted: October 03, 2006 at 09:44 PM | 101 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: sabermetrics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. JoeArthur Posted: October 08, 2006 at 09:46 PM (#2204053)
One thing I did like about JC's model was the attempt to identify arbitration-eligibility, though it isn't clear how he did that in detail.

I wanted to indicate that JCB didn't have direct data for the player arbitration-status, and so he estimated the status "quadratically." Not sure what that means, how he did it,how reliable his estimate of the status really is.

In fairness I should add that my discussion, and as far as I know all the rest here, is based on the available draft version. JCB apparently made revisions for the published version. Ultimately that is the version which should be the basis of judgment.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
A triple short of the cycle
for his generous support.