Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sad news coming soon

A prominent Valley resident died today, but it remains a mystery who the person is.
Phoenix police said they were called to a northeast Phoenix home for a call of an unknown death and discovered a person dead and alone.
Police said the prominent person has two young children who are away at camp, and until the kids are notified, the person’s name won’t be released.
No foul play is suspected, police said, but authorities are investigating the death since the person was alone. The cause of death will be determined by the medical examiner.

This is a baseball death and I know who it is, but it wouldn’t be right to release the name before his kids know.

Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: June 24, 2007 at 11:24 AM | 214 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: obituaries, rumors

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: June 24, 2007 at 09:44 PM (#2415930)
Agreed, Harvey. I totally concur.
   202. pkb33 Posted: June 24, 2007 at 09:46 PM (#2415936)
Yup, though that same point was made very early on too...expecting that the person posting has taken some time to consider what they are doing is a pretty reasonable expectation I think.
   203. Jeff K. Posted: June 24, 2007 at 09:47 PM (#2415938)
I did nothing removely wrong, thus I don't need an olive branch from you. Fix the mistakes you made and stop trying to lay your mistakes off on just about everyone else.

You were a high-handed ####### about the whole thing, and you continue to be. If you don't consider that remotely wrong, then that's your call.
   204. pkb33 Posted: June 24, 2007 at 09:51 PM (#2415946)
Consider the source on that one, for sure. I still don't think you understand my main comment here, since it's the exact same one 10 or so others made about the thing along the way and that even the thread starter acknowledged was a better approach ultimately.

So be it
   205. McCoy Posted: June 24, 2007 at 09:51 PM (#2415948)
There is a time for a compromise and then there are times that don't qualify for a compromise. If you think somebody is wrong or is doing something wrong then why agree to disagree? Or why say peace? It would seem to me that all that accomplishes is to allow somebody who is wrong to be free of the guilt or whatever consequence of being wrong entails. Especially when you consider that during all of this "peace talks" ones position is still being rigorously defended as to have done nothing wrong.
   206. Guapo Posted: June 24, 2007 at 09:53 PM (#2415952)
From where I'm sitting, this whole thread just seems ghoulish.

It sure has given a new meaning to the term, "player to be named later."

Would we want to read a thread intro that said "One of our favorite posters has died, but we can't tell you you who until his/her family has been notified."

Just as a PSA, if your family keeps tabs on whether you're alive or dead by monitoring threads on BTF... that's probably a pretty good sign you're spending too much time here. I'm just sayin'. Oh, by the way- Hi, Mom.
   207. McCoy Posted: June 24, 2007 at 09:54 PM (#2415956)
Thank you to all for your patience and community concern in not releasing the name. I am told by MLB and the family that your restraint is greatly appreciated.
Only one local media outlet did not respect the family’s request as related to us. I know it appeared in a couple of national outlets prior, and again, your restraint is appreciated.

I find it funny that a reporter who blabbed about this story and apparently told many people who in fact did die would write this.
   208. Jeff K. Posted: June 24, 2007 at 09:55 PM (#2415959)
Consider the source on that one, for sure. I still don't think you understand my main comment here, since it's the exact same one 10 or so others made about the thing along the way and that even the thread starter acknowledged was a better approach ultimately.

To be frank, I don't care about your main comment. You have gone about making your argument in a completely dickish manner and in stark contrast to the way that GSfRB has responded to you. There are ways to debate even emotional issues civilly, and you are proving yourself incapable of doing so time and again.

Luckily, I can now ignore you.

There is a time for a compromise and then there are times that don't qualify for a compromise. If you think somebody is wrong or is doing something wrong then why agree to disagree? Or why say peace? It would seem to me that all that accomplishes is to allow somebody who is wrong to be free of the guilt or whatever consequence of being wrong entails. Especially when you consider that during all of this "peace talks" ones position is still being rigorously defended as to have done nothing wrong.

I believe that GSfRB was calling peace because he was choosing not to respond to pkb in kind. If you'll notice, he continued to discuss things after that with others.
   209. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: June 24, 2007 at 09:56 PM (#2415960)
The cops wrote that, McCoy.
   210. Dudefella Posted: June 24, 2007 at 09:56 PM (#2415962)
Especially when you consider that during all of this "peace talks" ones position is still being rigorously defended as to have done nothing wrong.

That may be, but considering that the person himself has now said, in multiple posts, that he can understand why people got upset...well, at some point, it's probably more productive to let it go.

I didn't agree with Gold Star's original post, as I think I've pretty well expressed. But it's also been pretty clear - to me at least - that he genuinely didn't expect the reaction he got and that he didn't have any bad motives in making the original post.

Look, in general, it's a bad day for baseball fans. Beck was a good guy, and he'll be missed. All I'm saying is, I think it would be best if we left it at that.
   211. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: June 24, 2007 at 10:01 PM (#2415973)
I think GSRB handled things fine, and I think PKB should just shut up and stop beating a dead horse before he makes himself look any worse here.

My $0.02.
   212. McCoy Posted: June 24, 2007 at 10:03 PM (#2415977)
The cops wrote that, McCoy.
Okay the way it was written with the I's and all made me think it was the reporter saying it. Still though it is kind of amusing that an email to a reporter is praising them for keeping this quiet when in fact she did nothing of the kind.
   213. rr Posted: June 24, 2007 at 10:04 PM (#2415978)
Just as a PSA, if your family keeps tabs on whether you're alive or dead by monitoring threads on BTF...

robinred Posted: June 24, 2007 at 05:31 PM (#2415903)

I agree with those who say that GSRB had a slight lapse in judgment here, and I agree with those who think some folks here are being too nasty about it
Now, of course this wouldn't happen in all likelihood for obvious reasons--in that case, a family member might log on to tell us, or would email Furtado, or we might possibly never know--the person would just stop posting

Thanks. Hadn't thought of that.
   214. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: June 24, 2007 at 10:09 PM (#2415990)
the person would just stop posting
Has anyone here made arrangements for next of kin to post here with a death announcement?
GF knows I post on some baseball board and she may know my handle, but I've never gone that extra step.
   215. rr Posted: June 24, 2007 at 10:17 PM (#2416002)
Has anyone here made arrangements for next of kin to post here with a death announcement?

Not next of kin, but my GF. I am 42 and in good health, supposedly, my doc says, but youneverknow. My GF knows very little about baseball--knew less than that when we started dating. But she sometimes checks out the threads to see what I am saying/learn. It is part of how we try share the other's interests. So, she has my password and I asked her, assuming we are together, to jump on and say I'm gone if it happens, among several other things I asked her to do along the same lines.

I am not tight with anyone on the board--have never been to a meetup, only have emailed people a couple of times, so it may seem excessive/pretentious. But I know if anyone around here died, I'd want to know about it so I could say RIP to that person via the site.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
A triple short of the cycle
for his generous support.