Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, March 19, 2001

Salon.com News Sports Econ 101

Allen Barra, a cohort of ESPNer Rob Neyer, has a dead on take of ticket prices and player salaries and the lack of correlation between the same.  Print this out, put it in your wallet and carry it around.  Because if you talk baseball with random folks over the next year, you are going to need it.  The article is from last summer, but it still applies to A-Rod and anybody else.

Sean Forman Posted: March 19, 2001 at 09:52 PM | 2 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. The Original Gary Posted: March 19, 2001 at 11:44 PM (#66077)
I know I slow sometimes, but I don't understand how ticket prices are not related to salaries. Sure, it is all about supply and demand and the owners will squeeze every last penny they can from the paying public. Still, it doesn't take a math major to figure out that 2.5 million fans who pay $20 per ticket generate twice that of the same number of fans who pay $10. In this example, there is a 25 million dollar difference. Heck, that gets Arod for a whole season! If a team generates that much more revenue, obviously there is that much more to spend on players. Attendance figures have a bearing on payroll. Low attendance equals low vendor sales. Less income is generated from parking. It is all interrelated.

I don't feel that because the Texas Rangers spend all that loot on Arod means they have to raise ticket prices to pay for him. But, if your payroll is 90 million, and you can generate more money by raising ticket prices to maintain that payroll, then the two are indeed related.
   2. The Original Gary Posted: March 19, 2001 at 11:44 PM (#66337)
I know I slow sometimes, but I don't understand how ticket prices are not related to salaries. Sure, it is all about supply and demand and the owners will squeeze every last penny they can from the paying public. Still, it doesn't take a math major to figure out that 2.5 million fans who pay $20 per ticket generate twice that of the same number of fans who pay $10. In this example, there is a 25 million dollar difference. Heck, that gets Arod for a whole season! If a team generates that much more revenue, obviously there is that much more to spend on players. Attendance figures have a bearing on payroll. Low attendance equals low vendor sales. Less income is generated from parking. It is all interrelated.

I don't feel that because the Texas Rangers spend all that loot on Arod means they have to raise ticket prices to pay for him. But, if your payroll is 90 million, and you can generate more money by raising ticket prices to maintain that payroll, then the two are indeed related.
   3. The Original Gary Posted: March 19, 2001 at 11:44 PM (#66877)

4. The Original Gary Posted: March 19, 2001 at 11:44 PM (#67663)

5. The Original Gary Posted: March 21, 2001 at 02:20 PM (#66080)
Vinay, you have crystallized my thoughts eloquently. Like I said, I am slow sometimes.
   6. The Original Gary Posted: March 21, 2001 at 02:20 PM (#66340)
Vinay, you have crystallized my thoughts eloquently. Like I said, I am slow sometimes.
   7. The Original Gary Posted: March 21, 2001 at 02:20 PM (#66880)
   8. The Original Gary Posted: March 21, 2001 at 02:20 PM (#67666)

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
phredbird
for his generous support.