Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, July 09, 2014

San Francisco Giants considering ban on culturally insensitive attire

The proposed policy, which is still in the working stages, could potentially say that fans who wear culturally insensitive attire to games or use culturally insensitive language could be asked to stop by Giants security or potentially be asked to leave the stadium.

Staci Slaughter, Giants senior vice president, communications, and senior advisor to the CEO, said the Giants have policies about obscene language and offensive signs.

“We are considering expanding the policy to be more explicit about culturally insensitive signs and articles of clothing,” she told USA TODAY Sports
“I don’t want to overstate where we are,” she added. “We haven’t finalized the language. We are still in the process of revising it.”

The proposed policy comes after an incident at a Giants game last month when two Native Americans approached a group of men who were passing around a fake headdress to tell them it was disrespectful. One of the Native Americans asked for the headdress and then declined to return it. Security was called and the Native Americans were detained but not arrested. The incident occurred on Native American Heritage Night…

“It is not acceptable for anyone to wear blackface anymore,” said Jacqueline Keeler, a founder of Eradicating Offensive Native Mascotry. “So why is it acceptable for fans to come to stadiums dressed in redface? The clowning of our culture must stop.”

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: July 09, 2014 at 11:58 AM | 114 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: giants, insensitivity, native americans

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: July 11, 2014 at 08:49 PM (#4749150)
Flop.
   102. Ray (RDP) Posted: July 12, 2014 at 01:31 AM (#4749312)
Good to see that Andy's still pulling his hair out at the shocking realization that I don't much care for racists, racism, or racial slurs.

Of course you defend racial and ethnic profiling by pretending that it doesn't exist, or by demanding impossible levels of "proof" in every individual case.

Hey, just like what the left does with voter fraud.
   103. Ray (RDP) Posted: July 12, 2014 at 01:32 AM (#4749313)
What? Andy doesn't have a problem with "The Redskins"? Bwah-ha-ha-ha!
Umm...lemme guess. That's his favorite NFL team?

Fanboy is fanboy.
   104. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: July 12, 2014 at 07:23 AM (#4749334)

And ... exactly and precisely how Andy analyzes roids and the HOF.

Fanboy is fanboy.

The realization that his townspeople and the very fabric of his city have been trafficking in a blatant racial slur for decades are facts he literally can't honestly face -- as is obvious to pretty much everyone on the board. He sees "racism" in every nook and cranny of American life and interaction, but not in "R___ns," a per se racial slur he would never even dream of using to address an actual Native American. Completely bizarre and revelatory.
   105. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: July 12, 2014 at 07:37 AM (#4749335)

Funny, but that's one issue where we come down on the same side, or are you now in favor of enshrining Barry Bonds just because I'm against it?

Fanboy is fanboy.

The realization that his townspeople and the very fabric of his city have been trafficking in a blatant racial slur for decades are facts he literally can't honestly face -- as is obvious to pretty much everyone on the board. He sees "racism" in every nook and cranny of American life and interaction, but not in "R___ns," a per se racial slur he would never even dream of using to address an actual Native American. Completely bizarre and revelatory.

Of course the fact that I haven't rooted for the Redskins for 15 years and hate the owner more than any other person in sports is completely irrelevant to "pretty much everyone on the board", I suppose, if by "pretty much everyone on the board" you mean you and Ray and that other guy who thinks he's Ted Williams.

In fact the most obvious thing to anyone on "the board" who knows how to read is that my actual position on the name change (I don't give a #### one way or the other) is completely divorced from my "fanboy" concerns, since I'm a Ravens fan who sincerely wishes a series of 0-16 seasons on the Deadskins until the time that Dan Snyder drops dead.
   106. Lassus Posted: July 12, 2014 at 08:54 AM (#4749346)
Yes, but then you're something like 2% less the great Satan they desire/require, so your facts are ultimately unimportant.
   107. formerly dp Posted: July 12, 2014 at 02:18 PM (#4749453)
You never tire of publicly embarrassing yourself. At least it keeps us entertained.
   108. Ray (RDP) Posted: July 12, 2014 at 05:18 PM (#4749545)

And liberal media bias.

109. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: July 12, 2014 at 06:13 PM (#4749572)
   110. Dog on the sidewalk Posted: July 12, 2014 at 08:31 PM (#4749609)
Is that everyone here's view of how everyone else treats people like themselves?
   111. rr Posted: July 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM (#4749630)
Is that everyone here's view of how everyone else treats people like themselves?

Not mine. I am more in the Louis CK camp when it comes to being a straight white guy.
   112. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: July 14, 2014 at 03:31 PM (#4750153)
The term is inherently racially derogatory.
Really? How is it "inherently" derogatory?

A few words used as slurs are inherently derogatory; for instance, referencing "monkeys" when talking about blacks is inherently derogatory because it says that they're subhuman. But most are derogatory only in context; they are derogatory only because of a long-standing habit of using them to convey hate. (Even the n-word, for instance, is used by blacks among themselves, and not as a slur.) There's some evidence that Redskin was sometimes used derogatorily, but it's pretty flimsy, and it's clear that it often was not. (The victimology that it refers to scalping is... not true.) And there's obviously nothing inherently racist about calling someone by their skin color, as blacks and whites would both agree.
   113. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: July 14, 2014 at 04:09 PM (#4750184)

No, I'm a straight white guy, married with kids, professional, I don't thin that at all.

I find that others in my "demographic" who think THEY are the oppressed are just, well, odd...

OTOH having Andy defend the Washington Ethnic Slurs and having SBB oppose them is just this bizarre inexplicable inversion- of course they are both landing solid hits on each-other but have seemingly no realization of that.
   114. BDC Posted: July 14, 2014 at 04:54 PM (#4750220)
most are derogatory only in context

Hence you have to be sensitive to context. The N-word is heard among young guys wanting to show tough familiarity to one another. It is not heard at church meetings or city council proceedings, even by black people to refer to black people.

In class I might talk about black, white, Indian, Mexican people to blacks, whites, Indians, and Mexicans. If I were to start saying "Redskin" just as denotatively, I'd get my context readjusted :)

This is not hard to get, and it does not mean that all slurs are equally vile, or that there isn't a place for them in art or literature or music to describe American experience accurately and powerfully, or any such parody-PC line like that one might dream up. It's exactly as you say, context is crucial, that's all. The "Washington Redskin" context is getting a bit frayed.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis on Acid
for his generous support.