Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Schilling says RI played role in company’s trouble

Curt Schilling is blaming Rhode Island economic development officials and the governor for much of the financial troubles facing his video game company.
[...]
Schilling, 45, tells the newspaper he stands to lose all the money he saved while playing baseball, and rejects criticism that he is seeking a public handout.

‘‘I have done whatever I can do to create jobs and create a successful business, with my own income,’’ he said. ‘‘Fifty million dollars, everything I’ve ever saved, has been put back into the economy. The $49 million from Rhode Island has been put back in the economy. I’ve never taken a penny and I’ve done nothing but create jobs and create economy. And so how does that translate into welfare baby? I’ve tried to do right by people.’’

I’m pretty sure that people on welfare put the money back into the economy, too, Curt. They don’t just roll around in a big pile of welfare checks on their living room floor.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: May 29, 2012 at 01:03 PM | 311 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: business, curt schilling, red sox, special topics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4
   301. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: May 31, 2012 at 08:58 PM (#4144774)
I'm guessing that when Diddy Junior leaves UCLA and gets a job - whether it's with the NFL, Taco Bell or anywhere in between - his employer will also offer him something of value for his services.
I don't think that's really analogous. A scholarship isn't intended to be compensation for services. I mean, we can argue that athletic scholarships "really" are, or ought to be. But as it stands, scholarships are either a bribe to attend the school or an act of charity. Either way, it seems sort of silly for a wealthy person to suck up limited scholarship dollars.
   302. Kurt Posted: May 31, 2012 at 09:11 PM (#4144782)
I'm having a hard time parsing the distinction between "compensation for services" and "bribe to attend the school". ("Act of charity" is just silly.). What is a salary, if not a bribe to get someone to work for you? I'm sure UCLA has limited facilities maintenance dollars* too, but if they wanted this kid to mow the lawns I'd expect them to pay him.

* Presumably soon to be a bit less limited, once they successfully court a future 9-figure-rich alumnus.

Edit: And it's not a bribe to attend the school, it's a bribe to attend the school and play for the football team. It's not like he gets to keep the scholarship if he shows up and decides he'd rather take up basket weaving.
   303. tshipman Posted: May 31, 2012 at 09:12 PM (#4144784)
Either way, it seems sort of silly for a wealthy person to suck up limited scholarship dollars.

Probably status-seeking behavior, right? "My kid got a full ride to UCLA, etc."

edit:
("Act of charity" is just silly.)

Huh? A good number of scholarships are acts of charity.
   304. Kurt Posted: May 31, 2012 at 09:15 PM (#4144788)
Huh? A good number of scholarships are acts of charity.

I meant that it's a silly characterization in this context. Football scholarships are not acts of charity.
   305. BDC Posted: May 31, 2012 at 09:20 PM (#4144791)
My sense is that big-time football is so inseparable from the scholarship system that it would be awkward to have Junior Diddy suit up and play without having him on scholarship. What would UCLA save by having him technically walk on and pay his own way? Pocket change, and I wonder if they could even increase their roster by one while doing so, not like that's much advantage either.

306. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: May 31, 2012 at 09:22 PM (#4144792)
Either way, it seems silly to me that this is only being raised in the case of Diddy's son. Did the Manning kids have to pay full tuition in college? How about Luke Walton at Arizona, or Stephen Curry at Davidson (just to name a few off the top of my head)? I'm fairly certain all of those guys receive(d) athletic scholarships, but more to the point, I can't remember anyone even asking the question.
   307. Kurt Posted: May 31, 2012 at 09:25 PM (#4144796)
Yes, I was about to raise the same question as 306, but I just looked at the link on the last page and that was Wilbon's point too.
   308. Squash Posted: May 31, 2012 at 09:31 PM (#4144798)
Either way, it seems silly to me that this is only being raised in the case of Diddy's son. Did the Manning kids have to pay full tuition in college? How about Luke Walton at Arizona, or Stephen Curry at Davidson (just to name a few off the top of my head)? I'm fairly certain all of those guys receive(d) athletic scholarships, but more to the point, I can't remember anyone even asking the question.

Well, there's a major question of scale there. P Diddy has far more money then all the rest of those families combined, even multiplied 2 or 3 or 10 times.

I'm very sorry, actually, to have derailed what was a very interesting conversation. I imagine we can all script the next 100 posts fairly easily.

EDIT: And FWIW, it's a bribe in both directions. Junior Diddy gets to say he got a scholarship to play D1 football, and at a decent school (consider who they were competing against: Iowa, Virginia, Illinois - good schools all, but not exactly football powerhouses), and UCLA gets to lock in the Diddy family as parents/alumni/donors. They'll throw a lot of cash UCLA's way over the next 50 years, all for the price of what was a fixed "expenditure" anyway.
   309. smileyy Posted: May 31, 2012 at 09:40 PM (#4144804)
The topic was broached when Indiana was over the scholarship limit for next year. A creative suggested solution was to have Cody Zeller walk-on, and have his NBA Draft Pick-brother pay his way.

I have no idea how serious the suggestion was.
   310. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: May 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM (#4144874)
Scholarship players have some preferential advantages to walk-ons, so teams don't want to put good players in such a position.
   311. Kurt Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:11 AM (#4144890)
That Zeller thing sounds like a great idea.

Similarly, when the Giants run into salary cap problems they should just restructure Eli's contract to have him play for the minimum, and have Peyton and Archie cover the rest of his living expenses.
Page 4 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
tshipman
for his generous support.