Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, December 18, 2009

Shocker: Mariners trading Carlos Silva for Milton Bradley

You got the Silva… you got the gelt…

The Seattle Mariners have found a way to get rid of one of their last lingering problems. According to major-league sources, the club is on the verge of trading Carlos Silva, who still has two years remaining on the four-year, $48 million contract given him by former general manager Bill Bavasi before the 2008 season, to the Cubs in exchange for outfielder Milton Bradley.

The District Attorney Posted: December 18, 2009 at 06:43 PM | 205 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: cubs, mariners

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. Der-K, the bloodied charmer Posted: December 19, 2009 at 05:44 PM (#3417574)
What is the batting practice pitcher, 1.1? The lefty version 1.2? Does the bullpen catcher get 0.6?
Heh.
While I didn't have an explicit point in posting the CHONE estimates, I'll note the obvious:
* it likes Silva more than most of us (and, in fact, we shouldn't rule out the possibility of his being useful, if not good)
and
* the replacement level (as assumed here - reasonably, I think) isn't very high.
   202. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: December 19, 2009 at 05:55 PM (#3417582)
Silva will benefit from being new to the opposition and what has been a fairly solid Cubs defense. But come mid-season it's likely the homers will begin to fly.
   203. SteveM. Posted: December 19, 2009 at 05:59 PM (#3417585)
Harvey, I will be dollars to donuts Silva is long gone by midseason. They will give him a month while Lilly is out, and after that, his fat ass may join millions of Americans in the unemployment line.
   204. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: December 19, 2009 at 06:27 PM (#3417613)
As a Brewer fan, I am pleased there is one less better than average player on the Cubs roster. Less talent makes it harder to win.

You go Jim! Attack that talent base!
   205. McCoy Posted: December 19, 2009 at 06:32 PM (#3417618)
Harvey, I will be dollars to donuts Silva is long gone by midseason. They will give him a month while Lilly is out, and after that, his fat ass may join millions of Americans in the unemployment line.

I always wondered how that would work. Are contracted employees entitled to unemployment checks once the contract runs out? I think I read somewhere that they don't but I'm not really sure.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Darren
for his generous support.