Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Sickels: Pittsburgh Pirates Top 20 Prospects for 2012

1) Gerrit Cole, RHP, Grade A: Cole can be enigmatic and sometimes gets hit harder than he should given the quality of his stuff, but he’s still a Grade A prospect. At his best he throws strikes with three excellent pitches, and I think he’ll get more consistent. Looked great in Arizona Fall League, except for the disaster in the Rising Stars game.

2) Jameson Taillon, RHP, Grade A-: They are being very careful with his workload. As he incorporates his secondary pitches more often and builds his stamina, I expect greater dominance. Still struck out more than a hitter per inning even with restrictions on secondary pitch use.

3) Josh Bell, OF, Grade B+: Switch-hitter, should develop 30+-homer power and a high OBP. Pure hitting skills solid too. We’ll have to see about his defense and I want some pro data, but I’m very optimistic about him.

4) Starling Marte, OF, Grade B: Borderline B+. Hit well in Double-A, starting to develop more power, despite poor strike zone judgment. Superior defense. Still raw, needs a year of Triple-A, a wide range of possible outcomes, could become an All-Star, a mediocre regular, or a fourth outfielder.

5) Robbie Grossman, OF, Grade B: If he had fulfilled his commitment to the University of Texas, 2011 would have been his draft year. I know he was repeating High-A, but a player jumping from the college ranks to High-A, hitting .294/.418/.451, then ripping up the Arizona Fall League would be getting an awful lot of praise, not skepticism. I also think that Grossman’s tools are better than commonly reported. I expect he’ll provide gap power with some speed and a high OBP, and that’s valuable.

Thanks to Bucco Barnald.

Repoz Posted: December 25, 2011 at 01:57 AM | 5 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: minor leagues, pirates, prospect reports, scouting

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 25, 2011 at 06:58 PM (#4023303)
I'm surprised that Cain wasn't one of the 20 guys on the list.
   2. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 25, 2011 at 08:14 PM (#4023323)
Maybe he wasn't "able", amirite?

Jeff Locke is still around? That Nate McLouth trade seems like forever ago.
   3. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 25, 2011 at 09:22 PM (#4023337)
Jeff Locke is still around?

Should be ready for a rotation slot around midseason. This is probably the last year you see him on one of these lists.
   4. Mike Emeigh Posted: December 26, 2011 at 05:35 PM (#4023541)
I'm surprised that Cain wasn't one of the 20 guys on the list.

He's listed among the others. Sickels's comment on Cain in the thread was that (a) his velocity dropped and (b) he had a negative comment on his mechanics from a trusted source, and both of those are valid reasons to drop a guy who was only a C+ last year as it was. SIckels is still reviewing the grade and he could go back up.

-- MWE
   5. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 26, 2011 at 05:50 PM (#4023545)
Thanks, Mike.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sebastian
for his generous support.