Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Sickels: St. Louis Cardinals Top 20 Prospects for 2013

1) Oscar Taveras, OF, Grade A: One of the easiest grades in the book. Outstanding hitter for power and average, and he improved his baserunning and defense. Next great Cardinals star? Seems like it to me.

2) Shelby Miller, RHP, Grade A: Terrific second half of the season saved his A rating from last year. Still looks like a rotation anchor to me, just needs to stay healthy.

Overall, this is an amazing system, a prospect factory. They find guys at big colleges, they find guys at small colleges, they find guys in junior college, they find and develop high school guys, they find and develop Latin American guys. They do everything.

This is the most effusive praise I’ve ever seen Sickels give a system.

Heinie Mantush (Krusty) Posted: December 29, 2012 at 07:56 PM | 5 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: minor leagues, prospect reports, prospects, st. louis cardinals

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. esseff Posted: December 30, 2012 at 01:24 AM (#4334492)
Hopefully, it wasn't just Luhnow, then. This is a major reversal from where the system was eight or 10 years ago.
   2. Walt Davis Posted: December 30, 2012 at 02:54 AM (#4334512)
Man ... way to bring on the post-holiday blues for Cub fans.
   3. morineko Posted: December 30, 2012 at 01:32 PM (#4334605)
I'm glad Miller got called up in September so I could see him against some good competition. I saw him strike out 12 in 7 IP against Iowa, but Jim Adduci and Tony Campana put up hat tricks and 1 of the other 6 Ks was the pitcher.

As a Brewers fan, I really wish Trevor Rosenthal was in some other org.
   4. ...and Toronto selects: Troy Tulowitzki Posted: December 30, 2012 at 02:18 PM (#4334630)
Hopefully, it wasn't just Luhnow, then. This is a major reversal from where the system was eight or 10 years ago.

The Cardinals were ranked #24 in Baseball America's Organization talent rankings in 2011. I haven't subscribed to BA in a while, but at some point this past season I read somewhere how stacked they are now, and couldn't believe it. There must be a heck of story here, and i'd like to read it.
   5. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 30, 2012 at 02:22 PM (#4334633)
Considering they get above-average major-league performance from every non-prospect nobody's ever heard of that they throw out there, I shudder to think what this crop of blue-chippers is going to do.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.