Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Slate: Baseball Has an Amazing Gay History. It’s Time to Recognize It.

Numbers can’t possibly begin to explain how a tremendously talented athlete would eventually be sidelined by vicious institutional homophobia. After coming out to his teammates and managers in 1978, Burke was reportedly offered $75,000 by Dodgers Vice President Al Campanis to enter into a sham marriage. When turning down the offer—more than $312,000 in today’s money—Burke wittily replied, “I guess you mean to a woman.” Unfortunately, Glenn Burke’s fearlessness would lead to his exile from Los Angeles: That same year, he was traded to Oakland.

According to former Athletics teammate Claudell Washington, manager Billy Martin was cruelly homophobic from Day 1, introducing Burke in the locker room by saying, “Oh, by the way, this is Glenn Burke, and he’s a faggot.” Much as Jackie Robinson endured unfathomable racism from fans and fellow players alike, Burke too faced the injustice of bigotry in sports. Yet as an out gay, black man in professional sports—in the 1970s—Burke was light years ahead of his time. “Being black and gay made me tougher. You had to be tough to make it. Yeah, I’m proud of what I did,” Burke recalled later in life. In a Philadelphia Inquirer interview just before his death from AIDS-related illness in 1995, Burke was defiant, declaring, “They can’t ever say now that a gay man can’t play in the majors, because I’m a gay man and I made it.”

MLB’s most significant tribute to Glenn Burke is a puff piece from 2013, which details the creation of the high five.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 10, 2014 at 12:29 PM | 103 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: al campanis, athletics, billy martin, dodgers, gay rights, glenn burke, high five, jackie robinson

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Blanks for Nothing, Larvell Posted: June 11, 2014 at 08:17 PM (#4723677)
William Gay was a defensive end on the Detroit Lions' "Silver Rush" front four that terrorized NFC Central QBs in 1980 and 1981.
   102. Walt Davis Posted: June 12, 2014 at 02:42 AM (#4723808)
So skipping grade school homophobia ...

they're having some World Cup lead-in "bits about Brazil" specials here. One bit was about Arthur Friedenreich who was the first "colored" player allowed to play professionally in Brazil (German father if you're that curious). I'll let the soccer nerds fill y'all in but one claim was that he played about 1300 games over his 20+ years and averaged nearly a goal per game.

Anyway, what I found amazing and somewhat relevant to this discussion ... according to this broadcast, at the time, there was no penalty for fouling a non-white player. And that's the way they phrased it -- not that refs wouldn't call it but that it was perfectly legal to foul Friedenreich.
   103. simpleton & childlike gef the talking mongoose Posted: June 12, 2014 at 05:22 PM (#4724410)
Yeah, and the parents of 1967 Masters champion Gay Brewer and renowned writer Gay Talese must have positively despised their kids.

I dunno when "gay" became predominantly a synonym for homosexual, but I'm pretty sure it was several decades after those guys were born (both in 1932, Google tells me).
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
LA Podcasting Hombre of Anaheim
for his generous support.