Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sporting News selects the most beloved player ever for each MLB team

Ripken, Pesky, Yogi, Longoria, Alomar
Thomas, Feller, Kaline, Brett, Puckett
Biggio, Salmon, Rickey, Edgar, I-Rod

Murphy, Conine, Seaver, Ashburn, Zimmerman
Santo, Rose, Yount, Clemente, Musial
Gonzalez, Helton, Fernando, Gwynn, Mays

Tim Salmon finally makes an All-Star team.

Gonfalon Bubble Posted: September 26, 2013 at 01:43 PM | 210 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: general

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. Rob_Wood Posted: September 27, 2013 at 05:48 PM (#4552561)

Is this a bug?

I just hit the "Last" link for this thread on the Hot Topics list. There were exactly 200 posts before I hit "Last".

It brought me to this "new" page but there were no other previous page links that I could click to get out of here if I want. So I am stuck on this page with nothing to do except make a new post.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.
   202. bookbook Posted: September 27, 2013 at 07:53 PM (#4552627)
Most hated Mariners: Figgins, Cirillo, Ramirez? Eh. Maybe Carl "Think Like A Dinosaur" Everett, or whatshisname Martin. Maybe Carlos Silva?
   203. SouthSideRyan Posted: September 27, 2013 at 08:03 PM (#4552632)
Maybe I was a nicer person back then, but I always pitied Latroy. He grew up a big Cubs fan, signs the contract to come home as a lockdown setup man, is fantastic at it, and starts getting booed by July of the first year because he was thrust into the closers role. And then after his nightmare of getting booed out of his boyhood team's park 81 times a year ended and he was traded...he received even larger boos every time he came into a game as an opponent. Just kinda sucks on a human level.
   204.  Hey Gurl Posted: September 27, 2013 at 08:04 PM (#4552633)
Good list. Is Alomar really more beloved than Joe Carter in Toronto? Or even Carlos Delgado? Jays fans?

Don't live in Ontario, but I would say certainly not. Stieb and Halladay have always felt like the most beloved to me. And yeah, Joe Carter.
   205. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: September 27, 2013 at 09:38 PM (#4552695)
He never really bothered me. He had his big semi-overlooked NLCS error, but overall he was a pretty cromulent shortstop with decent range and occasional power.

And his power often came with excellent timing - he hit 41 homers in 2.5 seasons as a Cub, and seven were either walkoffs or in extras (or sometimes both).
   206. boteman Posted: September 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM (#4552712)
Surprisingly, most beloved for the Nationals might well be none other than the Large Tub of Goo, Livan Hernandez. He threw the first pitch for the new Nationals in Philly, the first pitch in Washington in 33 years, was enough of a cromulent hitter to be used as a pinch hitter, and even had a second go-around with the club. He always got a big hand from the crowd and had a long enough career that he stayed in the public consciousness.

The most hated (on another team) was Lance Cormier. Yes! Vinny Castillo needed a single to complete the cycle on the inaugural home opener and Lance plunked him. A meaningless statistical event, but just robbed the fans of something neat and noteworthy on a special night that could never happen again.
   207. Everybody Loves Tyrus Raymond Posted: September 28, 2013 at 03:18 AM (#4552833)
I visited Rogers Centre for the first time this summer, and there was definitely more Alomar merchandise than any other former player. Delgado was a very solid second. Don't remember any Carter or Stieb swag, though I may have missed it.
   208. Cooper Nielson Posted: September 28, 2013 at 08:32 AM (#4552860)
Most hated Mariners: Figgins, Cirillo, Ramirez? Eh. Maybe Carl "Think Like A Dinosaur" Everett, or whatshisname Martin. Maybe Carlos Silva?

How about Bobby Ayala?
   209. Belfry Bob Posted: September 28, 2013 at 08:35 AM (#4552862)
I am stunned that the other O's fans that spoke up got this one sooo wrong...Most hated Oriole EVER...is a no-brainer.

It's <b>Glenn Davis<b>. No doubt about it.

Most loved isn't Cal, it's Brooks. Then Earl Weaver, if we can go for a manager. THEN Cal.

210. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: September 28, 2013 at 09:29 AM (#4552883)
Maybe Carlos Silva?

I forgot that Seattle spent crazy money for him and got so little in return. That's got to be one of the worst mid-range FA contracts. Adam Eaton's 3/24 pales in comparison!
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
rr
for his generous support.