Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 17, 2017

Taking Back the Ballparks - San Francisco Giants

Welcome to the initial nominating thread of Taking Back the Ballparks, where today’s palatial, taxpayer-funded ballyards will be reclaimed from Fortune 500 companies, in-pocket politicians and onerous owners, and returned to the fans who fill them. Over the course of however long this takes, we’re going to select new, distinct and appropriate names for each of the 30 major league ballparks instead of the corporate-sponsored monstrosities they currently call themselves. And, in some cases, we might determine the old sobriquet was just fine.

To get this series started correctly, we’re going right to the stadium in most need of a permanent moniker makeover: AT&T Park, a ballpark that’s already had more legal name changes than a member of the extended Kardashian Klan.

One of the absolute gems* of the HOK era, the stadium has been an upgrade over the Giants previous home in every way but one. Candlestick was a glorious name for a ballpark, either in its full or nicknamed version (the Stick). AT&T will never be anything but the name of a phone company.

Now, you can fix that. In this thread, suggest a replacement for the Giants stadium, and make a case why this new name is preferable. Given the source material (San Francisco and the Bay Area and a history-rich franchise), there should be no shortage of potentially evocative names just waiting to be tapped.

In two weeks, we’ll close nominations here, at my blog and anywhere else that might piggyback onto this exercise. With the help of a few other Primates, we’ll select up to four finalists from the nominees and we’ll begin a full vote to be taken exclusively here at BTF.

* By all other accounts. As with the case with most of the parks, I haven’t been there, so I can only go on the reports of others. The baseball writing staff at the Washington Post just slotted it No. 1 among the MLB 30, for instance.

Ballpark History
Name: AT&T Park (previously Pacific Bell Park, SBC Park)
Built: 2000
Capacity: 41,915
Other ballparks used by club in its current city: Candlestick (aka 3Com Park), 1960-1999, Seals Stadium 1958-1959)
Distinctive Features: As many as you’ll find anywhere. The Coke Bottle and Glove in Left; 24-foot high brick wall in right; McCovey Cove.

Ballpark Highlights:
Giants have played in four World Series since park opened in 2000, winning three. However, none of the title-clinching games took place there, nor was the Game 7 loss to Anaheim in the 2002 Fall Classic.
Matt Cain threw baseball’s 22nd perfect game there in 2012.
Neifi Perez scored on an infield fly.
Ruben Rivera engaged in “the worst baserunning in the history of the game.”
Barry Bonds played a lot of games at the place.

SoSH U at work Posted: July 17, 2017 at 10:00 AM | 205 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: giants, stadium names

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 
   101. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:13 PM (#5495271)
I don't know why people like this name. Target's a latter-day K-Mart, and that's what I think about when I read "Target Field". Yay?

A big part is that target is a regular word, and doesn't necessarily invoke a corporate image the way say Boeing Field would. It's the difference between the United Center* and American Airlines Arena.

* It was years before I realized that United meant United Airlines.

edit: I should have read the next comment before posting.
   102. Steve Treder Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:15 PM (#5495273)
Most of the locals I talk with still usually call it Pacific Bell, its original name and the only one its had that has some local legitmacy. It's a pretty-sounding name, could be a ferry boat as well as a phone company.

But the name really should be Barry Bonds Park, because every bit as much as the original Yankee Stadium was correctly The House that Ruth Built, this ballpark was built because of the wealth generated by Barry Bonds.
   103. SoSH U at work Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:16 PM (#5495276)

At the rebirth of the stadium naming era, there were three NBA arenas named after airlines (Delta Center, America West Arena and United Center), and I didn't realize they had corporate names until a more obvious fourth one came along.

104. PreservedFish Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:20 PM (#5495278)
I didn't know what O.co referred to for several years, even as a frequent attendee.
   105. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM (#5495286)
At the rebirth of the stadium naming era, there were three NBA arenas named after airlines (Delta Center, America West Arena and United Center), and I didn't realize they had corporate names until a more obvious fourth one came along.

Since America West is now part of American Airlines, I wanted to see if there is now a 3rd American Airlines Arena in basketball. There is not, but I just found a worse (far worse) name than Guaranteed Rate Field. Talking Stick Resort Arena.
   106. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM (#5495287)
A big part is that target is a regular word, and doesn't necessarily invoke a corporate image the way say Boeing Field would. It's the difference between the United Center* and American Airlines Arena.

The Great American Ballpark is by far the best corporate sponsorship name of them all.
   107. Jumpy_McFrog Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM (#5495288)
I think this is a great idea!

For the naysayers, I think it's great because:

1) It's fun
2) Corporate names are obnoxious
3) It has the chance to highlight some of the best things about baseball -- it's history, storylines, characters, etc.

While clever references are fun, for these to really stick I would want the name to be such that most baseball fans could figure out which park it is without having been in on the exercise.

That's why I think McCovey's Cove is just perfect in this case. It connects to the place, and a player, it's distinctive, and it's clear exactly which park we're talking about. Lovely!
   108. Lassus Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:30 PM (#5495294)
A big part is that target is a regular word, and doesn't necessarily invoke a corporate image the way say Boeing Field would.
It benefits a lot from being a real word that you don't have to associate with the store. Target Field is a hundred times better than K-Mart Field would be.

It must be personal, it screams crappy discount box department store to me; the "regular word" part of it doesn't register the same way as Great American Ballpark.
   109. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:32 PM (#5495297)
Good god. Basketball arena names are far, far worse than baseball. The Delta Center is now Vivint Smart Home Arena. Then there's the Smoothie King Center, the Golden 1 Center, the Quicken Loans Arena, the BMO Harris Bradley Center, and the Bankers Life Fieldhouse
   110. PreservedFish Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:33 PM (#5495300)
crappy discount box department store

I guess you don't have a wife that is a fan of Tarjay's frequent collaborations with influential designers.
   111. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:34 PM (#5495303)
The Great American Ballpark is by far the best corporate sponsorship name of them all.

Along with the dear departed Great Western Forum.
   112. Lassus Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:36 PM (#5495305)
I guess you don't have a wife that is a fan of Tarjay's frequent collaborations with influential designers.

Oh, I still buy things there. Nothing designerish as yet. We're moving at some point, maybe then.
   113. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:36 PM (#5495306)
So what are the leading ideas so far?

McCovey Cove
Pacific Park
Barry Bonds Park
Willie Mays Field
China Basin
King Street Field

Three baseball-related ones and three geographic ones.
   114. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:37 PM (#5495307)
crappy discount box department store

Given that the only retail store withing an hour of me is K-Mart, I would kill to have a Target near me.
   115. Omineca Greg Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:48 PM (#5495321)
Given that the only retail store withing an hour of me is K-Mart, I would kill to have a Target near me

You should have said something!

We had a whole bunch of Target stores in Canada that we didn't want. It turned out we didn't want any of them...133 stores, we could have given you at least one. Heck, we could have given you two, so you wouldn't have to wait in long lines on classic long weekends like Victoria Day and Islander Day.
   116. Bote Man Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:54 PM (#5495330)
Actually in this case AT&T isn't all that bad sounding a name,

Even though the AT&T ticker symbol "T" was usurped and does not reflect the original Ma Bell that started a billion years ago, they could shorten it to
"T Ballpark",
especially when the Nats bullpen is pitching there in relief.
   117. Lassus Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:59 PM (#5495334)
Given that the only retail store withing an hour of me is K-Mart, I would kill to have a Target near me.

Listen, Jimmy Buffett, you make your choices.
   118. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 18, 2017 at 12:59 PM (#5495335)

Citifield is also pretty innocuous. Only when written do you notice the spelling and realize it is named after the bank.
   119. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 18, 2017 at 01:00 PM (#5495336)

It hit me all at once when I saw a blimp shot of the United Center with the logo on the roof.
   120. Bote Man Posted: July 18, 2017 at 01:01 PM (#5495337)

I know a few folks who used to work at Target for a long time until recently. The company has made working conditions much less tolerable, mostly due to an ill-advised expansion into Canada that went belly-up on them, leading to drastic cutbacks in expenditures. Don't expect Target to last too much longer, and they just might quit paying the Twins, which will lead us back to a prime complaint: these corporate names change more rapidly than the pastoral pace of baseball allows.
   121. Baldrick Posted: July 18, 2017 at 01:01 PM (#5495339)
I'm sorry, but McCovey Cove is a ridiculous name for the stadium. The cove is a nice feature of the stadium. It isn't the stadium itself.

Don't know what to tell ya. It's very distinct to people around here. There's the ocean, and there's the Bay. Maybe it's connected to the fact that there's such a cultural divide between the city and the East Bay? Looking at a map, I feel like SF Bay is also more geographically distinct than the Nanaimo situation. One of the country's most famous landmarks marks the transition from ocean to Bay.

As a 'person around here' I've never found that to be the case. Obviously, people mean different things when they say 'the Pacific Ocean' and 'the Bay' but I've never encountered much sense that SF, or the Bay Area in general, thinks of itself as anything but a city of the Pacific Ocean.

I mean, the place is basically surrounded by the Pacific Ocean. It's a pretty distinctive characteristic of the city!
   122. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 18, 2017 at 01:02 PM (#5495340)
Golden Gate Park? I realize it is not on the Golden Gate, but invokes San Francisco.
   123. Batman Posted: July 18, 2017 at 01:04 PM (#5495342)
Along with the dear departed Great Western Forum.
And the Poulan Weed-Eater Independence Bowl
   124. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 18, 2017 at 01:07 PM (#5495344)
Golden Gate Park? I realize it is not on the Golden Gate, but invokes San Francisco.

Already a thing. San Francisco's version of Central Park, Lincoln Park, etc.
   125. Nasty Nate Posted: July 18, 2017 at 01:07 PM (#5495345)
I'm sorry, but McCovey Cove is a ridiculous name for the stadium. The cove is a nice feature of the stadium. It isn't the stadium itself.
I was going to post the same thing.
   126. Lassus Posted: July 18, 2017 at 02:01 PM (#5495392)
Already a thing. San Francisco's version of Central Park, Lincoln Park, etc.

Golden Gate Stadium doesn't sound so bad. Or simply Golden Gate Ballpark, to differentiate it from where I played softball and ultimate in another lifetime.
   127. theboyqueen Posted: July 18, 2017 at 03:38 PM (#5495481)

Do you call it "the American film industry" or do you call it "Hollywood"?
   128. theboyqueen Posted: July 18, 2017 at 03:39 PM (#5495483)
I also like China Basin, as synecdoche if nothing else.
   129. Nasty Nate Posted: July 18, 2017 at 03:47 PM (#5495494)
Deep fly to right off the bat of Jake Lamb, way back, way back, Gone! He hit it right out of McCovey Cove and into ... McCovey Cove.

It would be like calling Fenway Park the Green Monster.
   130. Jose Bautista Bobblehead Day Posted: July 18, 2017 at 03:55 PM (#5495499)
Bonds Field at Bayside Park
   131. PreservedFish Posted: July 18, 2017 at 04:05 PM (#5495507)
Deep fly to right off the bat of Jake Lamb, way back, way back, Gone! He hit it right out of McCovey Cove and into ... McCovey Cove.

I honestly don't see a problem. "He hit it right out of the park and into the very cove!"

"Let's go catch a game at McCovey Cove." "Beautiful night here at McCovey Cove." It sounds great to me. Obviously it's not actually a cove, but who cares? Should they change the name of Churchill Downs because nobody knows what a Downs is? Is Pebble Beach a problem because it's actually next to the beach?
   132. Nasty Nate Posted: July 18, 2017 at 04:12 PM (#5495512)
If they had called the park McCovey Cove from the beginning, that would have worked. Or if the water itself had been called McCovey Cove for a long time prior to the park and/or it didn't directly interact with events of the game, it would be better.

"Let's go catch a game at McCovey Cove."
"Great, I'll get the kayaks ready, you bring the lifejackets."
   133. PreservedFish Posted: July 18, 2017 at 04:16 PM (#5495521)
Ok, so what, we're not allowed to be imaginative? I guess I'll have to vote for Giants Stadium. Woohoo!
   134. Nasty Nate Posted: July 18, 2017 at 04:19 PM (#5495525)
Be imaginative! McCovey Cove was imaginative ... 15 years ago when they thought of it for something else.
   135. Lassus Posted: July 18, 2017 at 04:21 PM (#5495530)
I'm quite literally thrilled this is the first of many debates on this topic.

Ok, so what, we're not allowed to be imaginative? I guess I'll have to vote for Giants Stadium. Woohoo!

Of course you're allowed to be imaginative. That's why we don't like McCovey Cove. :-D
   136. PreservedFish Posted: July 18, 2017 at 04:28 PM (#5495540)
"Hey, the game just ended. Yeah, I'm walking out of China Basin and into ... China Basin."

The mind cannot handle it!!!
   137. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 18, 2017 at 04:52 PM (#5495565)
"Hey, the game just ended. Yeah, I'm walking out of China Basin and into ... China Basin."

Better than walking out of McCovey Cove and into McCovey Cove.
   138. Leroy Kincaid Posted: July 18, 2017 at 05:05 PM (#5495583)
Mugsy Field
   139. Baldrick Posted: July 18, 2017 at 05:16 PM (#5495598)
China Basin is a geographic area, in which the stadium is located, and after which the stadium could be named. McCovey Cove is a feature of the stadium. They're not remotely the same thing.

It would be like calling Fenway Park the Green Monster.

Exactly.
   140. PreservedFish Posted: July 18, 2017 at 05:19 PM (#5495601)
If Fenway Park were Guaranteed Rate Park or Jamba Juice Stadium, I'd support calling it the Green Monster.
   141. donlock Posted: July 18, 2017 at 06:47 PM (#5495674)
Don't like player references. Seem too specific to age of the writer. Wouldn't want to go to Lou Gehrig Park or Koufax Stadium. Just seems to widen the gap between old fans and new generation. One vote here for geographical names.
   142. zack Posted: July 19, 2017 at 10:29 AM (#5495993)
I think McCovey Cove is the best of the suggestions so far.

McCovey Cove - recognizable to local fans and distant fans alike. It might be a little confusing at first since it's already in use for the cove itself but I think it'd become natural quickly.

Pacific Park is too generic.

China Basin Field is good too except it means nothing to people not familiar with SF.

My suggestion is the West Bay Grounds.
   143. theboyqueen Posted: July 19, 2017 at 10:49 AM (#5496008)
Any stadium named such and such "Field" is already using the part to represent the whole.
   144. . Posted: July 19, 2017 at 11:03 AM (#5496023)
The Polo Grounds at China Basin.
   145. Bote Man Posted: July 19, 2017 at 07:01 PM (#5496533)
TALK NATS ⚾ @TalkNats2
You can't make this up. Nats sold naming rights to the stadium....parking lot in leftifeld to GEICO

Get creative and sell naming rights to that Giant glove in LF, the scoreboard, each archway, each foul pole, etc.
   146. Ace Posted: July 19, 2017 at 09:44 PM (#5496645)
As much as I appreciate McCovey Cove, I like the idea of hitting a home run into McCovey Cove, not out of McCovey Cove. But adjacent to McCovey Cove could lie Cape Willie.

If not...Giants Landing? Giants Garden? Something besides ____ Park.

This is such a great idea for a thought exercise.
   147. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 19, 2017 at 10:44 PM (#5496659)
TALK NATS ⚾ @TalkNats2
You can't make this up. Nats sold naming rights to the stadium....parking lot in leftifeld to GEICO

Given that that parking lot was charging 50 bucks the last time I passed by it a few weeks ago, maybe GEICO's looking to recover that money you supposedly save by buying your auto insurance from them.
   148. Ziggy's screen name Posted: July 20, 2017 at 04:24 PM (#5497049)
What's the difference between a "naked cash grab" and selling something appropriately? Is sale of tickets a "naked cash grab"? What about selling Happy Birthday messages on the Jumbotron? Where's the line? Who gets to pick where the line is?

There's no line, it's a sliding scale of ickyness. It's got little girls selling lemonade at one end (not icky) and Martin Shkreli at the other (very icky). In general and with exceptions, it's distasteful to slide further down the scale.

Pacific Park sounds nice (despite the geographic problems), but it also sounds like the sort of thing that a PR agency would come up with.
   149. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: July 20, 2017 at 10:46 PM (#5497259)
Or in honor of San Fran's favorite band

Dead Kennedys stadium?

150. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 21, 2017 at 09:31 AM (#5497361)
Of the suggestions thus far...
China Basin is the one that seems most like it could stick.
McCovey Cove sounds the best, but I don't see it winning and am sympathetic to the issues raised with it.
Pacific Park also has a nice ring, but is generic.
Golden Gate Field is a bit dull, but has easy resonance.
SF has a real abundance of riches when it comes to well named local landmarks, huh? Like, something with "Mission" sounds good, but isn't specific enough given the bevy of other options.
   151. Greg Pope Posted: July 21, 2017 at 10:08 AM (#5497378)
Don't like player references. Seem too specific to age of the writer. Wouldn't want to go to Lou Gehrig Park or Koufax Stadium. Just seems to widen the gap between old fans and new generation. One vote here for geographical names.

I agree with this. It's the kind of thing that will seem just as dated in the future as the corporate names are. In a few years there won't be too many people with an emotional attachment to players like Koufax and Mantle. I mean, most likely if this was being decided in 15 years we'd think it would be silly to call the Angels stadium anything but Trout Field. But you wouldn't do that now.

I could make an exception for Ruth, but that's about it. Which doesn't matter since Yankee Stadium will win that one.
   152. Lassus Posted: July 21, 2017 at 10:37 AM (#5497392)
Seal(s?) Stadium sounds good, is generic, is historic, evokes local tourism.

I wonder if I'm the only one who will like it?

153. Bote Man Posted: July 21, 2017 at 10:45 AM (#5497404)
Seals Stadium crossed my mind, but I immediately dismissed it because to old-timers and locals it probably evokes the minor league days and the earliest days of the Giants franchise moving to S.F. which could lead to some minor ambiguity for them. It's not a bad choice, though, in the list of suggestions.

This might be the problem with re-using any name: ambiguity with the former stadium, so some listeners might now know if the reference is to the historic place or the modern one. For example, should Marlins Park be renamed "Bobby Maduro Stadium"? That kind of ambiguity.
   154. Ziggy's screen name Posted: July 21, 2017 at 11:04 AM (#5497435)
Naming a stadium after a player will date it if you're naming it after Candy Maldonado, not if you're naming it after Willie Freaking Mays. As long as people are playing baseball, people will know who Willie Mays was. I also don't think it's important that he was initially unpopular in SF. He's not unpopular now, and I have vague memories of the team making it a point to have him on hand for various commemorative/celebratory things. (Bonds hitting historic homeruns? World series wins? I don't remember what it was.)

I do have one other suggestion though. How about "Polo Grounds West". It references the team's origins in NY but also makes it's relocation clear.
   155. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 21, 2017 at 11:26 AM (#5497449)
Seals Stadium crossed my mind, but I immediately dismissed it because to old-timers and locals it probably evokes the minor league days and the earliest days of the Giants franchise moving to S.F. which could lead to some minor ambiguity for them. It's not a bad choice, though, in the list of suggestions.

Same here.
   156. Lassus Posted: July 21, 2017 at 11:43 AM (#5497464)
It's a little hard to parse, but for some reason going Seal Stadium instead of Seals Stadium makes all that seem less troubling. That might also be dumb, but when it came into my head it was as a singular first.

I do have one other suggestion though. How about "Polo Grounds West". It references the team's origins in NY but also makes it's relocation clear.

I like this, but I like "The West Polo Grounds" better.
   157. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: July 21, 2017 at 11:53 AM (#5497481)
I like the idea of incorporating "Grounds" into the name in some way.
   158. Benji Gil Gamesh VII - The Opt-Out Awakens Posted: July 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM (#5497511)
I still think Pacific Park is closest...but it could benefit from a little jazz from an extra word. Pacific Bay Park?

I'm liking Golden Gate as a primary moniker too though. Tagging on 157...Golden Gate Grounds?
   159. Lassus Posted: July 21, 2017 at 12:50 PM (#5497543)
Tagging on 157...Golden Gate Grounds?

Golden Gate Grounds is almost TOO precious, alliteration-wise. But I still like it.
   160. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 21, 2017 at 01:01 PM (#5497557)
SF has a real abundance of riches when it comes to well named local landmarks, huh? Like, something with "Mission" sounds good, but isn't specific enough given the bevy of other options.

I was going to throw out Mission Creek [not Park] for the sake of completeness, but I think the natural association of "Mission" with the Padres forecloses that possibility.
   161. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 21, 2017 at 01:07 PM (#5497563)
Anything with "Grounds" in it is going to be confused with a new chain of coffee shops.
   162. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 21, 2017 at 01:08 PM (#5497564)
158/159 - Grounds of the Golden Gate? Too pretentious? Too long.
   163. Benji Gil Gamesh VII - The Opt-Out Awakens Posted: July 21, 2017 at 02:15 PM (#5497642)
Golden Gate Grounds is almost TOO precious, alliteration-wise.
Anything with "Grounds" in it is going to be confused with a new chain of coffee shops.
Yeah, both of those occurred to me. Golden Gate Field might still be better.

(Though Dan Savage, I imagine, might approve of a park in SF that could be abbreviated "GGG." :) )
   164. Rusty Priske Posted: July 21, 2017 at 02:38 PM (#5497661)
I still think New Candlestick is by far the best but among the ones that seem to be gaining traction, I like McCovey Cove Park. (Not just McCovey Cove).

And China Basin is pretty terrible.
   165. Nasty Nate Posted: July 21, 2017 at 02:53 PM (#5497674)
Zack, theboyqueen, PreservedFish, Don August, Jumpy McFrog: do you prefer McCovey Cove or McCovey Cove Park?
   166. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 21, 2017 at 03:18 PM (#5497707)
(Though Dan Savage, I imagine, might approve of a park in SF that could be abbreviated "GGG." :) )

This wasn't lost on me. :)
   167. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: July 21, 2017 at 03:50 PM (#5497747)
Golden Gate Grounds is pretty twee. The double alliteration is a bit precious, and combining that with the archaic "Grounds" pushes it over the top. If there has to be a candidate with "Grounds" in the name, I like someone's suggestion of The King Street Grounds. (That name would make me think of the Kingdome, but I'm guessing no one else would have that problem, so I'm good with it.)
   168. Traderdave Posted: July 21, 2017 at 03:55 PM (#5497760)
Golden Gate Grounds would be confused with Golden Gate Fields, a horse track across the bay in Albany, CA. Not sure how Treasure Island affects the view but you can probably see one from the other.

GGG also suffers from the fact that you can't see the Golden Gate from the stadium. If you could, it would be an easier sell.

169. Lassus Posted: July 21, 2017 at 03:58 PM (#5497764)
Zack, theboyqueen, PreservedFish, Don August, Jumpy McFrog: do you prefer McCovey Cove or McCovey Cove Park?

I wasn't asked, but the latter.

Golden Gate Grounds would be confused with Golden Gate Fields, a horse track across the bay in Albany, CA.

I think coffee confusion is more likely.
   170. Benji Gil Gamesh VII - The Opt-Out Awakens Posted: July 21, 2017 at 06:17 PM (#5497916)
McCovey Cove or McCovey Cove Park?
I think coffee confusion is more likely.
McCovey Covfefe Grounds. (j/k)

I think the phrase McCovey Cove is wonderfully sonorous, but it just doesn't sound like a ballpark to me at all. So McCovey Cove Park for me would I guess be better, but still feels like a headscratcher.

Has the thread tried any of the promising suspects with "Yards" appended?
   171. Baldrick Posted: July 21, 2017 at 06:47 PM (#5497930)
McCovey Cove Park

This is a substantially worse name than AT&T Park.
   172. Fadeaway: The Baseball History Podcast Posted: July 21, 2017 at 07:23 PM (#5497948)
Splashdown Field. Or Splashdown Stadium, but the former has a better ring to it I think.
   173. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: July 21, 2017 at 08:23 PM (#5497971)
Splashdown Field. Or Splashdown Stadium, but the former has a better ring to it I think.

Nah. Sounds NASA-related. And San Fran ain't NASA related.
   174. PreservedFish Posted: July 21, 2017 at 08:52 PM (#5497982)

Don't have a strong opinion.
   175. Bote Man Posted: July 22, 2017 at 02:07 AM (#5498073)
Seagull Stadium. Or maybe Birdshit Holler*.

* credit to B&O conductors
   176. . Posted: July 22, 2017 at 07:40 AM (#5498084)
How about "Polo Grounds West".

Polo Grounds at China Basin.

The Giants have always paid great homage to their NY roots. There's a bar right by the park called the "Polo Grounds," with a "The Tradition Continues" tagline on the outdoor awning; the retired number list in the stadium has a really cool "Remember '51" nod to The Shot Heard Round The World (*); and the team has brought their World Series trophies back to NYC in the winter after their championships to share with their fans here.

(*) And obviously, the NY Giants retired numbers are part of the list.
   177. Ulysses S. Fairsmith Posted: July 22, 2017 at 09:14 AM (#5498099)
. . . more grating than other similar forms of advertising primarily because we are not used to it.

This reminds me of many years ago when I first saw a commercial on-screen in a movie theater. Before that, it had been just trailers. People started booing and throwing candy at the screen.
   178. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 22, 2017 at 09:28 AM (#5498103)
Is there any indication that the land was ever used to play polo?
   179. base ball chick Posted: July 22, 2017 at 11:56 AM (#5498145)
Baldrick Posted: July 18, 2017 at 01:01 PM (#5495339)

- agree 100%

and "pacific" park could mean LA, san diego or seattle

so far, of all the suggestions, i'd go with China Basin
or even better, Barry Bonds fField at China Basin

that place really IS the Place That Bonds Built - like him or not
   180. Omineca Greg Posted: July 22, 2017 at 12:09 PM (#5498149)
I like China Basin, like Lance said on the previous page, just China Basin, à la Chavez Ravine. It's too bad that it isn't a name that most people outside of the Bay Area would recognise (or maybe they would, I sure didn't) but it celebrates a neighbourhood in a city of distinct neighbourhoods, and I like it for that reason; it seems to match the attitude of the city (local residents can chime in if they don't think so) to have a name like that.

181. Mendo Posted: July 22, 2017 at 02:23 PM (#5498190)
Barry Lamar Ballpark.

Or maybe BLB Park.
   182. donlock Posted: July 23, 2017 at 12:05 AM (#5498369)
Another reason to avoid player names. One of these guys is going to turn out to be another Kirby Puckett or the like. 10 years from now your hero will be a druggie or a wife beater, didn't pay child support, kicked his dog etc.
Not worth the risk.
   183. Tom T Posted: July 23, 2017 at 05:19 AM (#5498387)
I like China Basin, like Lance said on the previous page, just China Basin, à la Chavez Ravine. It's too bad that it isn't a name that most people outside of the Bay Area would recognise ...

Given that almost nobody outside of Boston will have a clue about The Fenway (let alone The Fens), I don't think the "local flavor" of the name need be any sort of disqualification. Yeah, the goal here is to get something that is recognizable, but I suspect something akin to "Giants Stadium at China Basin" would quickly become quite readily accepted.
   184. Tom T Posted: July 23, 2017 at 05:20 AM (#5498388)
BTW, "Giants Stadium at China Basin" would stink...just using it as a quick example given that many people seem opposed to "China Basin <insert stadium term here>".
   185. Infinite Yost (Voxter) Posted: July 23, 2017 at 11:16 AM (#5498413)
I think Pacific Park stands head and shoulders above the others, even if the big body of water outside is technically just an inlet of said ocean. It's alliterative, it's evocative, it reflects the fact that SF is the westernmost city in the league, and it speaks to SF's status as a great, historical city of seafarers and fishermen and as the first great American city on the Pacific Coast. Just my two cents.
   186. Infinite Yost (Voxter) Posted: July 23, 2017 at 11:18 AM (#5498414)
My main problem with China Basin is that it reminds me of washing lots of dishes by hand, which is gross.
   187. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 23, 2017 at 11:33 AM (#5498415)
I think China Basin is the best by a good margin.
   188. . Posted: July 23, 2017 at 04:16 PM (#5498471)
The tie between polo and The Polo Grounds is pretty weak. Only the first one in Manhattan had anything to do with polo and in terms of usage was really just "the polo grounds" -- generic -- far more so than it was The Polo Grounds. (*) College football, in addition to baseball, was also played on the grounds -- including Yale/Harvard in 1883 and 1887. By 1889, Polo Grounds II was in the works and then Polo Grounds III, 50+ blocks north and they didn't have a thing to do with polo.

We can also see the disconnect in SF itself. The Polo Fields, in Golden Gate Park, rarely hosts polo. It opened as a velodrome and today, soccer, cross country running, and cycling appear to be the primary pastimes that take place there.

So I'm not sure the lack of a direct connection between polo and the Giants stadium should be disqualifying to the name.

(*) Wikipedia:

The original Polo Grounds stood at 110th Street between Fifth Avenue and Sixth Avenue, directly across 110th Street from the northeast corner of Central Park. The venue's original purpose was for the sport of polo, and its name was initially merely descriptive, not a formal name, often rendered as "the polo grounds" in newspapers.
   189. Nasty Nate Posted: July 26, 2017 at 09:40 AM (#5499986)
What's next with this?
   190. SoSH U at work Posted: July 26, 2017 at 09:46 AM (#5499990)
What's next with this?

We're going to start voting on Monday.
   191. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: July 26, 2017 at 12:52 PM (#5500110)
We're going to start voting on Monday.

My own two cents: going forward with the other stadiums, probably don't need 2 weeks for people to throw out suggestions. The first week seemed like we got about all of the main ones.
   192. SoSH U at work Posted: July 26, 2017 at 01:05 PM (#5500119)
My own two cents: going forward with the other stadiums, probably don't need 2 weeks for people to throw out suggestions. The first week seemed like we got about all of the main ones.

Yup, I came to the same conclusion. We'll do one week for nominations/one week for voting in the future.
   193. Omineca Greg Posted: July 26, 2017 at 01:54 PM (#5500157)
Is there going to be debate during the voting week, or will the campaigning component be essentially over? Will we have a chance to put in our two cents (besides our vote) after we see the final nominees?
   194. SoSH U at work Posted: July 26, 2017 at 02:06 PM (#5500161)

Hadn't thought about it. How about this: This thread will remain open. I'll list the finalists here, and any debate can be continued here, but we'll keep the voting thread strictly for votes.

195. SoSH U at work Posted: July 28, 2017 at 01:01 PM (#5501557)
To anyone who's committed to assisting in winnowing the nominees, please check your email.

196. SoSH U at work Posted: July 29, 2017 at 01:09 PM (#5502218)
Bump, as a reminder.
   197. SoSH U at work Posted: July 31, 2017 at 10:43 AM (#5503154)
Here are the four finalists. If you'd like to debate them further, do it here.

A) China Basin
B) Golden Gate
C) Pacific
D) West Bay

Thanks all.
   198. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 31, 2017 at 11:24 AM (#5503235)
My justification for voting China Basin:

1) This wasn't picked out of thin air; it's a thing that already has traction
2) It's distinct; [Blank] Park/Field/Stadium has been done to death
3) It doesn't try too hard like some of the cutesier suggestions
   199. Omineca Greg Posted: July 31, 2017 at 11:42 AM (#5503269)
Waaah! My nominee didn't make it.

It looks like "The Dick" came up short. (I've been waiting two weeks to say that...no really, I have.)

I like all those, can't really do wrong with any of them. I think I like Pacific the least because it could be a few other places besides San Francisco. I'll have to think about it.
   200. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: July 31, 2017 at 11:47 AM (#5503277)
Voting thread: http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/newsstand/discussion/taking_back_the_ballparks_giants_voting_thread/
Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Darren
for his generous support.