Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Talking Chop: The 420 Dollar Baseball Card Gamble

I’ll just stick with my pile of relicky, stinkpit Hal Reniff cards. Thank you.

2012 Topps Five Star Baseball might just be the ultimate gamble. Right now, a box sells for around four-hundred and twenty dollars. That will get you a single pack with only six cards. What will the gamble get you? According to the Topps sell sheet for the product, this is what you will get:

1 Base Card
  1 Autograph Card of an Active Player
  1 Autograph Card of a Retired Player
  1 Autographed Relic
  1 Autographed Book or Autograph
  1 Jumbo Jersey Relic, Patch, Bat Plate or Bat Knob

The sell sheet is rife with pictures of beautiful cards. You could pull Sandy Koufax or Hank Aaron as your retired player autograph! You could get an autographed relic by rookie phenom Bryce Harper! You could get an ultra-amazing, 1 of 1, spectacular Babe Ruth cut autograph as your autograph book! Your jumbo relic could be a Lou Gehrig name plate from an actual, game used Lou Gehrig bat! Each of these cards is beautiful and worthy of the hype. (Well, except for the Harper card. That’s a clown card bro.) You might even pull the Aaron or the Koufax. (It should be noted that, unlike the cards pictured on the sell sheet, these cards seem to have almost universally rough edges. This is being attributed to amount of handling they go through as hard signed material. As always with Topps, there are also a number of redemptions, but these seem to have been kept to a minimum for a change.)

Repoz Posted: November 25, 2012 at 04:45 PM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: baseball cards, business, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: November 25, 2012 at 05:01 PM (#4309219)
Given the title, I thought the article would involve marijuana.
   2. Jack Keefe Posted: November 25, 2012 at 05:13 PM (#4309221)
Well Al me and my pal A.J. Pierogi had no thing better to do this Winter and so we bought us one of these packs Al. Here is what we got I leaf it to you to say whether it is worth 420 Smackers. And I paid 410 of them because AJ only had a Sawbuck but he says he will cough up the rest when he gets to a Eighty M Machine.

1 Base Card: Checklist of Base Cards #101 through 150
1 Autograph Card of Demon Young
1 Autograph Card of John Rocker
1 Autographed Kenyan Birth Certificate of Julio Franco
1 Autographed Autograph. Al I have no idea why the hell they give you a autographed autograph. The 1 we got was a signatuer by Lennie Merullo & it was signed by Darwin Barney. What gives with this stuff Al.
1 Jumbo Jersey Relic which turned out to be a splinter of the Asbury Park Boardwalk that was crusht in Hurricane Sandi Al this is Bate and Switch if you ask me.

Al never buy such stuff. They will get you thinking you will pull something like Max Alvis stirrup sox and all you end up with is a box of Wide Elephants.
   3. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: November 25, 2012 at 06:39 PM (#4309246)
LOL
   4. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 25, 2012 at 08:43 PM (#4309295)
It makes me sad that something like this exists.

On the plus side, we got a Keefe post out of it.
   5. DA Baracus Posted: November 25, 2012 at 09:18 PM (#4309313)
They look like crap.
   6. Leroy Kincaid Posted: November 25, 2012 at 10:37 PM (#4309374)
They look like crap.

Eventually they'll just start selling plain pieces of cardboard with signatures and/or a piece of "memorabilia".
   7. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: November 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM (#4309407)
P.T. Barnum said all that needs to be said about this little enterprise.
   8. Jim (jimmuscomp) Posted: November 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM (#4309412)
The checklist of Base Cards absolutely killed me.
   9. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: November 26, 2012 at 01:13 PM (#4309750)
Best Keefe post in a long time. Primey.
   10. GIANTlhbASS Posted: November 27, 2012 at 03:38 AM (#4310365)
Before the Information Age, the checklist cards were pretty handy. That would be devastating, though, being one of the six cards. I'm dying to know how Jack and AJ will split the loot.
   11. lieiam Posted: November 28, 2012 at 02:11 AM (#4311166)
Wow, this is sad and pathetic (am I showing my age yet?).... "Back in the day" I collected many a card... And then stupid stuff like Upper Deck (beautiful cards from my memory, but such a cheesy way to increase the price and go even stupider with the "value" angle). I suppose that was the straw that broke the camels back for me... And BS like this seems to me the natural progression. Sorry, I'm not really ranting very coherently now. But I couldn't resist a brief and not very coherent whining post.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
tshipman
for his generous support.