The Cubs are looking for a Director of Research & Development in their Baseball Operations. If you apply, make sure to say you “heard it from Tango”. Since we’re on the topic, I am now providing my consulting services exclusively to the Cubs.
This role will be responsible for developing and overseeing the research and analytics function within Baseball Operations, reporting to the Assistant GM.
- Perform advanced statistical analysis on large volumes of baseball-related data and implement predictive models to aid in decision-making.
- Develop and manage a talented staff (developers, analysts, and consultants) by identifying strong candidates, prioritizing work flows, supervising projects and providing productive feedback.
- Present high-level analysis in an effective and articulate manner through the use of written reports, charts, tables, graphics, and other tools that enhance the Department’s decision-making process.
- Develop and maintain proprietary projections model for future performance.
- Monitor, identify and recommend new or emerging techniques, technologies, models and algorithms applicable to internal processes.
- Analyze internal baseball processes in order to develop functional requirements (specifications) for outside vendors and application developers, including requirements, system impact, data flow diagrams, special considerations, etc.
- Identify technologies that offer potential value to the organization through meetings with vendors and providers.
- Oversee the departmental budget associated with R&D spending.
- Contribute to baseball decisions and proactively generate ideas for player acquisition and player usage.
- Other projects as directed the Baseball Operations leadership team.