Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

The 2019 MLB Poll | The Athletic (paywall)

As​ we did last season, this​ spring​ The​ Athletic​ had our beat writers ask as many​ players​ as​​ they could — about a third of the league overall, including players from all 30 teams — about a wide range of topics. We covered the best players in the game, managers they would and would not want to play for, their feelings on the current labor situation, and more, from the silly to the serious.

Of particular interest were the following two poll questions:

11. Do you think there has been collusion among teams that has affected free agency?
Yes: 40%
No: 17%
Don’t know: 43%

12. Do you think there will be a work stoppage when the current CBA expires?
Yes: 28.6%
No: 25%
Don’t know: 46.4%

Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: March 26, 2019 at 01:39 PM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: mlb, players poll

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: March 26, 2019 at 03:56 PM (#5825533)
This is the BEST:

5. Who is the most overrated player?
Top result: Bryce Harper, Phillies (62%)
   2. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: March 26, 2019 at 03:57 PM (#5825534)
Tony Clark beware

10. On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being poor, 5 being excellent) rate the job the players’ union has done over the past few years.
Average answer: 2.5
Median and mode: 3

In their own words:

“Zero. Or 1 if you need 1 to 5.”

“Three. I wish I had more information from them.”

“Five. I think they’re doing a great job of keeping us in the loop.”

“One of our guys told them when they visited camp that they should have delegated the negotiations. The last CBA was terrible. MLB has all these MIT guys; we have the money to hire those people, we just haven’t.” (No rating)

Notes: This was a fraught topic, and some players declined to answer — often from a stated desire to defend the union, or at least not criticize it.
   3. cardsfanboy Posted: March 26, 2019 at 04:14 PM (#5825545)
“One of our guys told them when they visited camp that they should have delegated the negotiations. The last CBA was terrible. MLB has all these MIT guys; we have the money to hire those people, we just haven’t.” (No rating)

Very good point and it's what should have been done. The last CBA felt like a 5th grader(mlbpa) negotiating against a guy with a masters in business.... the players were happy with the previous one, so asked for nothing, and instead got reamed a bit. I get accepting what you have, and not seeing a need to rock the boat, but at the very least they should have worked on upping the minor league and first three year players salary...the fact that they didn't ended up biting them in the behind as the discrepancy between free agents and established talent is now pretty far out of whack, that there is very little desire to sign medium tier free agents.

I'm not a fan of upping the minimum wage, but second through arbitration years could have been reworked, along with minor league contracts.
   4. John Northey Posted: March 27, 2019 at 12:36 PM (#5825722)
Upping the minimum salary should've been the starting point. The union should've gone in with a $1 million minimum as the target. Instead they barely upped it. Should've tried for earlier arbitration, free agency after 5 1/2 years (thus killing the 2 weeks down to gain a year control issue), and more. Go in asking for the sun/moon/stars and you might get one of them. Go in asking for nothing and you'll be lucky to leave with your shirt.
   5. Karl from NY Posted: March 27, 2019 at 02:47 PM (#5825790)
The luxury tax could mean the union wouldn't be looking to raise the minimum wage. If the bottom end of a roster costs $5m more, that's $5m less available under the tax threshold to go towards the better players.
   6. Karl from NY Posted: March 27, 2019 at 02:50 PM (#5825791)
11. Do you think there has been collusion among teams that has affected free agency?
Yes: 40%

I wonder how many of the respondents are thinking about collusion correctly here. Cases like Barry Bonds 2007 aren't collusion, it's 30 independent decisions. It's collusion only if teams act in concert with each other or the league office to not sign a player.
   7. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: March 27, 2019 at 03:40 PM (#5825824)
“I was a Sox fan in ’03 when he hit that home run off Tim Wakefield.”

I want to know who this player is.
   8. bfan Posted: March 27, 2019 at 04:28 PM (#5825855)
Upping the minimum salary should've been the starting point. The union should've gone in with a $1 million minimum as the target. Instead they barely upped

The essence of this is who they believe they represent. If salaries are generally flat, but the top 125 earners are increasing by a bit more than 5% per year (which is a healthy increase), as evidenced by the increasing qualifying offer number, then I could say that at the top, the CBA is doing just fine. That strata may be what drives the CBA wish list (assuming they cannot have everything, so they have to put their chips on what is most important to them), in which case, there is no issue here.

If their goal is to maximize employment, then going to a 26 man roster increases payroll count by 4% (that is an extra 30 jobs!). Pushing MLB to add 2 more franchises also has a nice effect on increasing the number of available jobs (by either 50 or 52, depending on where they end up on total roster size). Think of the combined impact here; they could add another 82 jobs; that is 82 more guys at all times drawing an MLB paycheck; getting to the MLB pension; and so on. Increasing the number of teams also increases by 2 the number of potential owners who are openly willing to "spend stupidly" on this year's shiny new toy, and thus creates upward pressure on the top end salaries as well. This is what they ought to push for, if they are most interested in helping the unwashed masses.
   9. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 27, 2019 at 04:33 PM (#5825857)
“I was a Sox fan in ’03 when he hit that home run off Tim Wakefield.”

I want to know who this player is.

Aaron Boone.
   10. Infinite Yost (Voxter) Posted: March 27, 2019 at 04:54 PM (#5825871)
Cases like Barry Bonds 2007 aren't collusion, it's 30 independent decisions.

Are you sure about that? Given the quality of what was on offer, I have a hard time imagining that 30 teams, including 15 AL teams, all went, "Naaahhhh."

Anyway, I really came here to ask:

Is The Athletic worth subscribing to? I used a free trial during the World Cup for their soccer coverage, and then let it expire. I keep seeing things that seem like they might be interesting, but I don't want to get hosed into spending a hundred bucks and finding out it's just ESPN with more words.
   11. RoyalFlush Posted: March 27, 2019 at 05:36 PM (#5825896)
Is The Athletic worth subscribing to? I used a free trial during the World Cup for their soccer coverage, and then let it expire. I keep seeing things that seem like they might be interesting, but I don't want to get hosed into spending a hundred bucks and finding out it's just ESPN with more words.

I'm traditionally against paying for content, but I gave The Athletic a shot and I feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.