Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, February 16, 2017

The Best Transactions of the 2017 Offseason

#6: Brewers Bet on KBO Translation
Acquire: Eric Thames
Cost: 3 years, $15 million

Thames is a fascinating test case in many ways. A busted prospect who went to Korea and became a superstar, his return to MLB can either be seen as confidence in his improvements — he got a three-year contract! — or skepticism about how well he’ll perform — he only got $5 million per year, which is now bench-player money — depending on which part of his contract you focus. In the end, though, I think this deal is going to end up being a big win for the Brewers.

Despite translated numbers that suggest that he has a chance to be one of the better hitters in baseball, Thames is essentially getting paid as if he’s the current version of Brandon Moss, who got two years and $12 million based on a similar-ish skillset. But the projections think Thames is more likely to be three-years-ago Brandon Moss, the guy who drew enough walks to go with the home runs to offset all the strikeouts. And if he’s that Moss, then the Brewers are going to have a very nifty trade chip on their hands this summer.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: February 16, 2017 at 08:39 AM | 8 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: transactions

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jesus Frankenstein Posted: February 16, 2017 at 10:55 AM (#5402828)
How does $64 million not make you rich?
   2. Covfefe Posted: February 16, 2017 at 11:15 AM (#5402852)
It seems to me that the ranking of the two Sox trades should have been flipped -- I think both were good deals for the White Sox, but strictly in terms of value out/value in, it seems like the Sale trade to the Red Sox was a good one, but pretty equal in terms of value out/value in. The Eaton trade, however, seems like a real steal where I think the White Sox got a far more plumb package than I would have expected.

I suppose you could TINSTAAPP it into the inverse...
   3. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: February 16, 2017 at 12:12 PM (#5402918)
Knowing that Cameron approves of the Pirates' signing of Nova makes me concerned.
   4. Walt Davis Posted: February 16, 2017 at 03:44 PM (#5403191)
I thought EE was 3/$65 (3/$60 with a $20 option with $5 buyout) -- not that it's a big deal.

I'm fine with the Soler-Davis trade but it deosn't seem "top 10" to me, certainly not "better" than the Eaton deal.

At that price, I guess Nova is fine but "breakout arm"?
   5. Covfefe Posted: February 16, 2017 at 04:45 PM (#5403277)
I thought EE was 3/$65 (3/$60 with a $20 option with $5 buyout) -- not that it's a big deal.

I'm fine with the Soler-Davis trade but it deosn't seem "top 10" to me, certainly not "better" than the Eaton deal.

At that price, I guess Nova is fine but "breakout arm"?

Is it perhaps the case that this was really a pretty 'meh' -- or actually, worse/lower/less than 'meh' (sub-Meh?) offseason?

The pickings here seem to be pretty slim.

Indeed - I think you could probably even make the case that the White Sox AND Red Sox belong the list because there's so little else worthy of inclusion and they both more or less got what they optimally wanted at pretty market standard prices.
   6. RMc and the Respective Punishments Posted: February 16, 2017 at 06:18 PM (#5403369)
How does $64 million not make you rich?

Hookers and blow ain't free, pal.
   7. Renegade (((JE))) Posted: February 16, 2017 at 06:57 PM (#5403387)
#6: Brewers Bet on KBO Translation
I see what you did there, RoyalsRetro.
   8. Walt Davis Posted: February 16, 2017 at 11:11 PM (#5403494)
Is it perhaps the case that this was really a pretty 'meh' -- or actually, worse/lower/less than 'meh' (sub-Meh?) offseason?

Maybe, but not at first impression -- two pretty huge trades by the White Sox. It was a pretty dull FA offseason. Anyway, it's probably more an issue of what criteria we're using to rank transactions. I don't know what constitutes "move I liked best" -- especially for a trade, does that mean one team got a steal or both teams got what they wanted or what? Mainly the problem is that the Eaton trade is only at #10. A 4-5 WAR player on a good contract doesn't get traded very often. Certainly more "interesting", certainly much, much "bigger" than Drew Smyly or Ivan Nova.

As to Soler-Davis -- I liked the trade fine but it's just one year of Davis. A good trade from both team's perspectives but (likely) pretty inconsequential ... probably not as inconsequential as Smyly for Mallex. :-)

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
A triple short of the cycle
for his generous support.