It seems like a team of The Best Players Currently Excluded from the Hall would crush a team of the Worst Included Players. C – Piazza, 1B – Bagwell, 2B – Biggio, SS – Trammell, 3B – Darrell Evans, OF – Barry Bonds, Raines and Dwight Evans, SP – Clemens, Schilling, Tiant, Saberhagen, Kevin Brown, RP – Lee Smith, Reardon, Myers, Franco, Aguilera with a bench of Ted Simmons, McGwire, Whitaker, Concepcion, Torre, Dale Murphy and Larry Walker would be favored over C- Ferrell, 1B – George Kelly, 2B – Mazeroski, SS – Travis Jackson, 3B – Lindstrom, OF – Hafey, Lloyd Waner, Tommy McCarthy, SP – Haines, Marquard, Catfish, Candy Cummings, Rixey, RP – Sutter, Fingers, Gossage, Eck, Wilhelm, and a bench of Schalk, Bottomley, Joe Gordon, Rizzuto, Kell, Dawson and Jim Rice. I was wondering: if these two teams played each other heads-up for 162 games, what do you think their respective records would be?
1) Do you think Darrell Evans is the best third baseman not in the Hall of Fame? Intuitively, I would have gone with Graig Nettles.
2) There are weaker outfielders in the Hall of Fame than Dawson and Rice.
3) It is ALWAYS true that a team of the best players left out of the Hall of Fame would crush a team of the weakest players in the Hall of Fame. It is almost axiomatic, because if you construct a list of the best players at any position, 15 or 20 will be in the Hall of Fame, and it is almost impossible for those to be EXACTLY the 15 top players; therefore, there is almost always, at each position, at least one player excluded from the Hall of Fame who is better than one player selected, and therefore, when you make teams, the “excluded” team is always better at every position, and thus would always crush the “included” team.
4) This is especially true NOW because of the mess made of the voting by the combination of the expansion time bomb and steroids.
5) My guess. . .and it is just a guess. . .is that the “excluded” players would win at least 95 games, and the “included” players would win no more than 67.
Posted: April 03, 2013 at 07:14 AM | 36 comment(s)
Login to Bookmark