Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, August 26, 2011

The Hurricane Irene Thread

There was the Swine Flu thread, so why not the Hurricane thread. Isn’t that right, New York Mets and the rest of the Northeast teams?

The New York Mets say they have postponed Saturday and Sunday’s games against the Atlanta Braves because of Hurricane Irene.

Both games will be rescheduled as a single-admission doubleheader on Sept. 8 beginning at 4:10 p.m.

Major League Baseball already had moved Sunday’s games at Philadelphia and Boston to Saturday to make them part of day-night doubleheaders. The Phillies play the Marlins and the Red Sox play the Athletics.

So to the primates on the Eastern coastal regions- stay safe.

Gamingboy Posted: August 26, 2011 at 08:49 PM | 912 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: community, special topics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > 
   601. Greg K Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:50 PM (#3911765)
What do you put on hot dogs if not ketchup? Mustard is disgusting.

I think you've got the wrong question. It should be "Why do you eat hot dogs?"

EDIT: I'd agree on the mustard if you're talking about that solid yellow, plasticy stuff. That stuff is like mustard for people who don't want to actually taste mustard.
   602. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:51 PM (#3911766)
Hot dogs rock. All beef though. I am kind of picky about that. I prefer Klements. But that is just me.
   603. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:53 PM (#3911768)
I am going to make a confession: I eat hot dogs with NO toppings. I cannot stand ketchup or yellow mustard. I might consent to some onions, but usually it's just dog and bun for me.

I can't eat them if they're overcooked (where they get all wrinkly). I usually stick to all-beef Hebrew National or somesuch.
   604. McCoy Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:54 PM (#3911769)
Business was good in front of the National Musuem of History and Technology?
   605. Chicago Joe Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:55 PM (#3911770)
I eat hot dogs with NO toppings. I cannot stand ketchup or yellow mustard. I might consent to some onions, but usually it's just dog and bun for me.

Ah yes, the "Missionary" dog.
   606. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:55 PM (#3911771)
I'd agree on the mustard if you're talking about that solid yellow, plasticy stuff. That stuff is like mustard for people who don't want to actually taste mustard.

Agreed. Brown, spicy mustard is glorious. That yellow stuff makes me throw up.
   607. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:55 PM (#3911772)
As for mustard I prefer Bertman Stadium Style. Plochman's Bavarian and Woeber's Supreme Horseradish Mustard are good too.
   608.   Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:55 PM (#3911773)

EDIT: I'd agree on the mustard if you're talking about that solid yellow, plasticy stuff. That stuff is like mustard for people who don't want to actually taste mustard.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. When I was in elementary school my best friend would put so much mustard on his food it looked like cheese. Made me wretch.
   609. McCoy Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:56 PM (#3911774)
Well, that's a relief as I look forward to three-day-old leftovers for supper tonight.

That isn't to say you can't get sick from other kinds of pathogens. I'm just pointing that that isn't how one would get botulism in their food.
   610. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:56 PM (#3911775)
I do like the yellow mustard on a chili dog with onions though. Again, different situations call for different condiments.
   611. Greg K Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:57 PM (#3911776)
What I've been finding delicious on burgers and sausages (and anything really) is Ajvar. I love that stuff.
   612. McCoy Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:57 PM (#3911777)
Milk is obviously very perishable, but some people go through a lot of it, and especially for those with small children, it would be a major hassle to be without it. Buying a couple gallons and keeping them in a cooler can get you through a couple days of power outage. I did just that, and when the power failed to go out, guess what - we'll drink the milk anyway.

Wouldn't it also be a major hassle if your children die because of bad milk?
   613. BDC Posted: August 29, 2011 at 09:59 PM (#3911779)
I am a fan of beer mustards for sandwich use, but there are hundreds of other good ones for all kinds of uses available via the National Mustard Museum. Yellow French's has always looked too much like poster paint for me.
   614. Chicago Joe Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:01 PM (#3911783)

I think if it goes bad, he doesn't give it to the children. God knows the little buggers drink enough of it.
   615. J. Lowenstein Apathy Club Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:01 PM (#3911784)
UHT milk? It tastes like milk.
   616. McCoy Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:01 PM (#3911785)
Sriracha hasn't made an apperance yet?
   617. McCoy Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM (#3911787)
redacted.
   618. J. Lowenstein Apathy Club Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:04 PM (#3911789)
My ketchup says "refrigerate after opening". Is this some kind of sop to Canadians or something?
   619. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:04 PM (#3911790)
Ray, do tell us of the hardships you endured as a lad growing up in Sherborne, MA. (I can't wait to hear this.)

edit, pardon me, Sherborn.
   620. Greg K Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:05 PM (#3911792)
I am a fan of beer mustards for sandwich use, but there are hundreds of other good ones for all kinds of uses available via the National Mustard Museum. Yellow French's has always looked too much like poster paint for me.

I've read that that style of mustard was pioneered by industrious Americans who realized they weren't selling much volume of the mustard that actually tasted like something because you only needed a dab, so they ground it down so fine you needed 13 pounds of it on your sausage.
   621. phatj Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:05 PM (#3911793)

Not really, if it happened post-apocalypse I figure I could dispose of the bodies without much trouble.

Seriously, did you miss the part where I kept the milk in coolers? I didn't mention the ice that was also in the coolers, but I sort of figured that would be assumed.
   622. J. Lowenstein Apathy Club Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM (#3911794)
I like paint-yellow prepared mustard in certain applications. Don't eat much of it though. I have a mustard problem generally, it's starting to take over my fridge.
   623. billyshears Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:07 PM (#3911798)
People who put ketchup on their hot dogs should have their children taken away. Along with people who like their steak cooked beyond medium-rare.
   624. formerly dp Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:07 PM (#3911799)
Agreed. Brown, spicy mustard is glorious. That yellow stuff makes me throw up.

I'll give that a third-- I love mustard but won't touch the yellow stuff except in extreme emergencies...

I don't put ketchup on stuff unless it's mixed in a 1/2 to 1/2 ratio with Tabasco. Heinz saw my demographic a few years ago and tried to make a ketchup/Tabasco hybrid, but it was way, way too weak.
   625. phatj Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:08 PM (#3911800)
Love me some mustard. I'll eat the yellow stuff happily enough if it's the only choice, but prefer spicy brown mustard when available.

I do put ketchup on hot dogs, unless they're really good ones, but the hot dogs I normally get are of the Oscar Meyer ilk.
   626. Something Other Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:12 PM (#3911801)
Well, that's a relief as I look forward to three-day-old leftovers for supper tonight.

That isn't to say you can't get sick from other kinds of pathogens. I'm just pointing that that isn't how one would get botulism in their food.
Go for it. If you can't trust some random guy on the internet with your life, who can you trust?

Seriously, did you miss the part where I kept the milk in coolers? I didn't mention the ice that was also in the coolers, but I sort of figured that would be assumed.
At fifty bucks a bag, I'm not assuming anything.
   627. McCoy Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:14 PM (#3911802)

Ice in a cooler you say? Well, gee golly, you got nothing to worry about then.
   628. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:15 PM (#3911803)
UHT milk? It tastes like milk.

Well I'll never know that, because I'll never be able to try it. Milk? Sitting on a shelf? I'd rather be maimed.
   629. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM (#3911805)
I live in a Chicago suburb, not rural ####### Arkansas, and almost everything Lisa listed happened to me when we had nasty thunderstorms and wind that knocked trees down into power lines.

I sent the first 40 percent (so far) of my life in rural ####### Arkansas, & most of what Lisa listed never happened to me.
   630. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:18 PM (#3911806)
I don't use ketchup because I find that it hides the flavor rather than enhances it (go to any good steakhouse and try asking for A1 or something similar), and I think ketchup tastes disgusting

I've finally found something on which Ray and I agree.

Which surely tells you that you're insanely wrong on this point.
   631.   Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM (#3911807)

People who put ketchup on their hot dogs should have their children taken away. Along with people who like their steak cooked beyond medium-rare.

I am in both groups, but fortunately have no children for you to take.
   632. phatj Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM (#3911808)
Ice in a cooler you say? Well, gee golly, you got nothing to worry about then.

What the hell is wrong with you? You think milk is going to spoil at 32 degrees in a couple of days?
   633. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM (#3911809)
I do like the yellow mustard on a chili dog with onions though. Again, different situations call for different condiments.

Bernal is correct here. In general I prefer spicy brown, but not with chili involved.

Of late, I've been topping my hot dogs with pickled green tomatoes. Heavenly.
   634. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM (#3911810)
There are people who cook children beyond medium-rare?

Say it ain't so.
   635. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:24 PM (#3911812)
Ya know what I like mustard on? Fastballs. That's right, fastballs, high and tight, with mustard on them.
   636. billyshears Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM (#3911814)
I am in both groups, but fortunately have no children for you to take.

Thank god. All we can hope is that is your crimes against food die with you.
   637.   Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:31 PM (#3911817)
In fact a medium-cooked steak in a hot dog bun with lots of unrefrigerated ketchup sounds delightful.
   638. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:32 PM (#3911818)
Steak sauce tastes pretty good. Better than steak, in any event.

(Wasn't raised on anything fancier than hamburger & for that reason, I guess, never developed any real taste for steak & the like.)
   639. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:44 PM (#3911823)
Business was good in front of the National Musuem of History and Technology?

American History Museum, right by the main Constitution Avenue entrance. And yeah, the Bicentennial was pretty damn good for vendors.
   640. Howie Menckel Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM (#3911837)
"I am going to make a confession: I eat hot dogs with NO toppings. I cannot stand ketchup or yellow mustard. I might consent to some onions, but usually it's just dog and bun for me."

No onions. Always naked, the way God intended it (it's in the Bible somewhere).

Might be the 12 years of Catholic school talking, but I don't use condiments.

Steak? Medium well, or well done prime rib. End cut? Sure, why not?

No kids for anyone to take (good thing for me, it seems).
   641. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM (#3911838)
fastballs, high and tight

I prefer highballs, fast and tight.

I've found sriracha overrated and largely used to make really crappy food edible rather than improving already good food when it comes to the hedonics of gustation. It's certainly got a place in anyone's fridge if they're ever to make ramen or something like that.

edit: Also, man. Some of y'all need to have good steak sometime if you think steak sauce is better than the steak. And cooking it beyond medium is always a crime against God. If God wanted his steak well done, he'd have accepted Cain's burnt offering instead of sending Cain off to kill Abel for overcooking the lamb.
   642. McCoy Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM (#3911839)
What the hell is wrong with you? You think milk is going to spoil at 32 degrees in a couple of days?

Well, actually it can spoil at that temperature but no that is not what I am thinking. I'm thinking milk is extremely perishable, children have weak immune systems, power off-water not running leads to a dirty environment, and a cooler full of ice not the most trustworthy thing. There are probably a million different liquids you can give your kids that will not make them sick during this emergency. Milk isn't one of them. But if that is the risk you want to take with your children then knock yourself out.
   643. McCoy Posted: August 29, 2011 at 10:55 PM (#3911840)
American History Museum, right by the main Constitution Avenue entrance. And yeah, the Bicentennial was pretty damn good for vendors.

Not according to your article.
   644. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:07 PM (#3911854)
Always naked, the way God intended it (it's in the Bible somewhere).

I don't care how you dress (or don't) when you're dining, but what about when you're at a restaurant?
   645. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:09 PM (#3911855)
Well, actually it can spoil at that temperature but no that is not what I am thinking. I'm thinking milk is extremely perishable, children have weak immune systems, power off-water not running leads to a dirty environment, and a cooler full of ice not being the most trustworthy thing if I had to make a decision about my kids. There are probably a million different liquids you can give your kids that will not make them sick during this emergency. Milk isn't one of them. But if that is the risk you want to take with your children knock yourself out.

Criminy. I, like millions of Americans, go camping in the woods ( a dirty environment), and bring coolers with, among other things, milk, where it is consumed over the course of a long weekend. I've never heard about a milk induced epidemic of sick children.
   646. phredbird Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:09 PM (#3911856)
Sriracha hasn't made an apperance yet?

it is my condiment of choice. i put it on almost everything. everytime i drive from LA to palm springs i say a silent prayer of thanks for sriracha when i drive through rosemead.

i put a little ketchup on my dodger dogs when i'm at a game. i guess that makes me one of history's greatest monsters.
   647. McCoy Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:19 PM (#3911860)
I've never heard about a milk induced epidemic of sick children.

Really? As far as food borne illnesses and epidemics go they are pretty common.
   648. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:23 PM (#3911861)
I've never heard about a milk induced epidemic of sick children.

It's because the media is too busy hyping hurricanes and causing non-Pareto optimal resource distribution!
   649. McCoy Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:28 PM (#3911864)
In Hurricane Irene's wake, buyer's remorse

People along the East Coast gave thanks when the storm passed by Sunday and inflicted relatively little harm. But by Monday morning, they were complaining.

Some were annoyed that they'd braved long lines to buy batteries and canned goods that they didn't end up needing. Others were in stores demanding refunds on the extra flashlights, tarps and even junk food they'd snapped up.

I like this one:
Beene thinks most of her purchases were prudent, though she acknowledges the batteries may have been a stretch since she doesn't "even have anything that's battery-operated" besides one flashlight.

how many batteries did she buy? 48 double-A batteries!
   650. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:38 PM (#3911867)
how many batteries did she buy? 48 double-A batteries!

So on the surface she appears to be an idiot, since she's got one flashlight and nothing else that uses batteries.

Of course, my anecdotal experience tells me that AA batteries are consumed at a rate of n/t-1, where n = the number of AA batteries on hand and t = the amount of time before I'm likely to remember to buy more. So there's that.
   651. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:40 PM (#3911868)
Late returning to the thread, but if any of you are interested in saving $ and losing weight - and you have a pantry or any other kind of food storage where you live - try the "eat food you already own" diet. It works! And it also ensures that you at least look at those stacks of canned food, pasta, or whatever, once in awhile.
   652. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:42 PM (#3911869)

What are you even talking about?
   653. McCoy Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:48 PM (#3911872)
Washington Post June of 1976. The article you mentioned is about how vendors were doing crappy business.
   654. Howie Menckel Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:49 PM (#3911873)
"People along the East Coast gave thanks when the storm passed by Sunday and inflicted relatively little harm. But by Monday morning, they were complaining."

And by "little harm," she means one of the costliest hurricanes in recorded history, preliminary estimate at $3 billion but that's probably low - who cares, though about people not worthy of living in Manhattan?
   655.   Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:53 PM (#3911877)

And by "little harm," she means one of the costliest hurricanes in recorded history, preliminary estimate at $3 billion but that's probably low

Does it factor in the cost of people buying up all of Ray's bread?
   656. formerly dp Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:54 PM (#3911878)
Beene thinks most of her purchases were prudent, though she acknowledges the batteries may have been a stretch since she doesn't "even have anything that's battery-operated" besides one flashlight.

Yeah, she's clearly stupid:
1) Why does she need a fleshlight? 2) If the fleshlight was to be passed around to the penis-endowed attendees of her party (eww...), they probably couldn't get more than 7-10 uses each out of it during the sleepover, and 48 AA batteries should cover that easily, 3) I don't think a fleshlight even uses batteries.

Oh, flashlight.
   657. Benji Gil Gamesh Rises Posted: August 30, 2011 at 12:08 AM (#3911884)
But by Monday morning, they were complaining.
Damn Monday-morning hoarderbacks.

Americans complaining about something proves nothing more than that something happened. (If even that.)
   658. BDC Posted: August 30, 2011 at 12:14 AM (#3911886)
Srichacha, I've only had at the local pho place, squeezed into a bowl of bun. Very nice: the bun tends to come bland, full of noodles and beansprouts, and the srichacha, which is kind of relentless, is a good contrast. Haven't branched out to try it on a hotdog or anything.

It might be good, though. One thing I love on hotdogs is that lethal habañero sauce that comes in the little glass bottles with the amusing names.
   659. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 30, 2011 at 12:16 AM (#3911887)

What are you even talking about?

Washington Post June of 1976. The article you mentioned is about how vendors were doing crappy business.

I'm not sure what article you're referring to, but the one I was alluding to was a "Try It" article by Phyllis Richman in the Post's Potomac magazine, which was solely about our film vending stand, and unless I'm mistaken, didn't say anything about business conditions in general. But trust me, it would have been a rare Mall vendor during the Bicentennial who wasn't doing a great business, since all the spots were assigned by lottery from Memorial Day to the first Sunday in October, and the cops chased out any unlicensed competitors.
   660. Kiko Sakata Posted: August 30, 2011 at 12:19 AM (#3911890)
Irene death toll spikes to at least 35

The storm is estimated to have caused up to $7-billion worth of damage, a number that could grow, along with the death toll, as emergency assessments and flooding woes continue.
   661. billyshears Posted: August 30, 2011 at 12:26 AM (#3911895)
So on the surface she appears to be an idiot, since she's got one flashlight and nothing else that uses batteries.

I guaranty you she has at least one remote control that takes AA batteries.
   662. phatj Posted: August 30, 2011 at 12:32 AM (#3911898)
McCoy - the temperature of an ice/water slurry is lower than the temperature in a refrigerator. If the ice were all melted, that would be a different story, but my cooler can keep beer ice cold for a couple days sitting out on my (covered) deck in July. It would (and did) do just fine indoors.

Thanks for your concern, though.
   663. Howie Menckel Posted: August 30, 2011 at 12:39 AM (#3911906)
Here's an overhead picture of my town after the storm that "inflicted relatively little harm."

http://photos.nj.com/star-ledger/2011/08/aerial_flood_photos_from_acros_10.html

I'm in a condo in a complex that is fenced off from the "real part of town," and we got no damage other than the 6-hour blackout. But most of the towns in these parts have more rowboats than bicycles on the main streets these days.
   664. Chicago Joe Posted: August 30, 2011 at 12:55 AM (#3911911)
1) Why does she need a fleshlight?

She uses the other end.
   665. Lassus Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:01 AM (#3911915)
I'm not sure what article you're referring to, but the one I was alluding to was a "Try It" article by Phyllis Richman

FYI Andy, I recently talked to a friend/colleague of Phyllis's and she's still plugging along relatively well despite some sort of degenerative condition. I mean, sad to hear she's not in perfect health, but considering everything, it was still decent news, I'd say.
   666. Craig in MN Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:07 AM (#3911921)
For future reference, you can freeze milk...so you don't need to add ice (the $50 variety or cheaper alternatives) to your cooler. Plan 1 day ahead. Pour out a cup or so of milk and throw the jug in the freezer. When the electricity goes out, it slowly melts. Drink it as it melts. It's not quite the same, but you'll never notice it once it's mixed with cheerios.
   667. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:29 AM (#3911931)
Not to mention not understanding that you could have drunk the water out of your water heater rather than a nice fresh Evian bottle?

Evian sucks. It tastes like the distilled water from high school science class might have tasted, had anyone tasted it.
   668. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:32 AM (#3911934)
Maybe. It's not your decision to make for other merchants, though.

Didn't say that it was, but if you act like a ####### dog towards your customers just because they're at a temporary disadvantage, don't be surprised if you pick up a few fleas. Not everyone thinks that life should be nothing but a goddam auction.

If "price gouging" is economically irrational, why is there a need to have laws against it?

And why did the Brooklyn hotel I linked to do it?
   669. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:33 AM (#3911935)
Powers back after 36 hours. Greater Hartford area.
   670. Kiko Sakata Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:35 AM (#3911937)
why is there a need to have laws against it?

I would think a libertarian would appreciate that just because there IS a law against something doesn't mean that there NEEDS to be a law against it.
   671. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:37 AM (#3911941)

Nothing, of course. Not ketchup, not mustard, not relish. When will you people learn to enjoy the taste of the actual food you're eating?

(Same for burgers: just cheese and the burger and the bun. And no mayo on sandwiches; just ham and cheese.)
   672. Lassus Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:37 AM (#3911942)
If "price gouging" is economically irrational, why is there a need to have laws against it?

I must have missed where he defined it as or even used the word irrational. Can you point it out?
   673. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:39 AM (#3911947)
McCoy - the temperature of an ice/water slurry is lower than the temperature in a refrigerator. If the ice were all melted, that would be a different story, but my cooler can keep beer ice cold for a couple days sitting out on my (covered) deck in July. It would (and did) do just fine indoors.

I would've thought this was obvious. I admit, I don't "stock up" on milk because I'm paranoid about the expiration dates and whatnot anyway, but as paranoid as I am I don't think I'd be worried about milk stored in a cooler with ice. I'm reasonably certain my fridge is above freezing temperature.

Well, except for that one spot on the back of the top shelf which always seems to freeze water/soda/cheese/you name it. Stupid Kenmore.
   674. steagles Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:41 AM (#3911948)
green chili and cheez whiz. maybe some diced onions. hot sauce.
   675. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:43 AM (#3911949)

Putting aside the question of whether there should be such a law (IMO there probably shouldn't be, but I can live with it). are you actually suggesting that if something is economically irrational it would never happen?

Market forces work in the aggregate, but not necessarily in specific cases.
   676. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:44 AM (#3911952)
cheez whiz

I'm not sure I can even stay in the same thread as someone who thinks "Cheez Whiz" is actually food.
   677. Downtown Bookie Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:48 AM (#3911955)

When I was a young lad, I loved my steaks rare, to the point where if a steak was cooked longer than your typical commercial break, it was probably cooked too long for my liking. As I became an adult, I began enjoying my steaks medium-rare. I'm currently at the point in my life where I can't eat and enjoy a steak unless it's medium.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this phenomena, where the older you get, the more thoroughly your steaks need to be cooked.

DB
   678. steagles Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:48 AM (#3911956)
I'm not sure I can even stay in the same thread as someone who thinks "Cheez Whiz" is actually food.
it's a food-based substance. that's close enough.
   679. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:50 AM (#3911960)
Here's an overhead picture of my town after the storm that "inflicted relatively little harm."

Who are you responding to? We've been talking about NYC and Manhattan. So unless this photo was of the upper west side or something, I'm not seeing the relevance.
   680. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:51 AM (#3911961)
Why do you use cheese with the ham and burger? Why bread? Why can't you learn to enjoy the taste of your food?
   681. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:51 AM (#3911964)
most of the towns in these parts have more rowboats than bicycles on the main streets these days.

Ah, but what about paddle boats?!
   682. The Clarence Thomas of BBTF (scott) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:55 AM (#3911968)
Speaking of hot dogs, one thing I miss about living in Minnesota was the widespread adoration of brats. I feel let down whenever I eat a hot dog these days because all I can do now is compare them to the locally made brats in Minneapolis. It's depressing.
   683. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: August 30, 2011 at 01:57 AM (#3911969)
We serve apple brats that are amazingly good.
   684. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 02:03 AM (#3911975)

Evian sucks. It tastes like the distilled water from high school science class might have tasted, had anyone tasted it.

It's slightly basic, which is a little off-putting. But, a ####-load better than European tap water.

We're spoiled in the U.S. (especially NY) in having very good tap water. Although, when I lived in Boston, the tap water was pretty crappy.

Nothing, of course. Not ketchup, not mustard, not relish. When will you people learn to enjoy the taste of the actual food you're eating?

(Same for burgers: just cheese and the burger and the bun. And no mayo on sandwiches; just ham and cheese.)

Philistine!

Burgers should be ketchup only; cheese on a burger is repellent. Do you put cheese on your steak?

Lettuce, tomato and mayo is OK if it's a thin, greasy, low quality patty that needs the help.

Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard is the appropriate hot dog topping.

But seriously guys, have you never the expression "De gustibus non est disputandum"?
   685. Guapo Posted: August 30, 2011 at 02:06 AM (#3911979)
This thread, wow.... and to think, we may have another two hurricanes yet to come before winter!
   686. Roger McDowell spit on me! Posted: August 30, 2011 at 02:06 AM (#3911980)

My GF eats the stuff all the time - I don't get it either. For good mustard, in Northern CA we have Mendocino Mustard - a spicy/sweet concoction that is great. Perfect on a dog with onions, sweet relish, and a touch of ketchup.
   687. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: August 30, 2011 at 02:20 AM (#3911989)
Burgers should be ketchup only; cheese on a burger is repellent. Do you put cheese on your steak?

What a ridiculous pronouncement. Do you put ketchup on your steak? Do you eat it between 2 slices of bread? Do you like all your beef products cooked to the same temperature? I like my burgers cooked medium, and topped with cheese and spicy mustard. I like my strip steaks medium rare and marinated in some combo of Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and steak sauce. I like my tenderloin rare and seasoned with butter, coarse sea salt, and black pepper. Variety is the spice of life, even for food products that come from the same animal.
   688. phatj Posted: August 30, 2011 at 02:30 AM (#3911999)
Bleu cheese on a steak is pretty boss. Or a burger, for that matter.
   689. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 02:32 AM (#3912002)
What a ridiculous pronouncement. Do you put ketchup on your steak? Do you eat it between 2 slices of bread? Do you like all your beef products cooked to the same temperature? I like my burgers cooked medium, and topped with cheese and spicy mustard. I like my strip steaks medium rare and marinated in some combo of Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and steak sauce. I like my tenderloin rare and seasoned with butter, coarse sea salt, and black pepper. Variety is the spice of life, even for food products that come from the same animal.

Did you not see my last line, or is your sarcasm detector that broken?
   690. McCoy Posted: August 30, 2011 at 02:40 AM (#3912006)
Gorgonzola or blue cheese on a steak is great. Ketchup with a steak is just fine as well.
   691. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 30, 2011 at 02:40 AM (#3912007)
I'm not sure what article you're referring to, but the one I was alluding to was a "Try It" article by Phyllis Richman

FYI Andy, I recently talked to a friend/colleague of Phyllis's and she's still plugging along relatively well despite some sort of degenerative condition. I mean, sad to hear she's not in perfect health, but considering everything, it was still decent news, I'd say.

This is kind of third hand, Lassus, but tell your friend to relay my best. She knew me as Andy from Georgetown Book Shop who used to buy her review copies. Totally classy lady all the way.

--------------------------------

...if you act like a ####### dog towards your customers just because they're at a temporary disadvantage, don't be surprised if you pick up a few fleas. Not everyone thinks that life should be nothing but a goddam auction.

I'm sorry, Ray, but I must have missed where I said anything about any need for such laws. Is this one of your famous senior moments, or does your memory lapse merely stem from a temporary bread deficiency?

And why did the Brooklyn hotel I linked to do it?

Never saw the link, and I have no idea what you're talking about. Price gouging exists in the real world, and anyone with eyes can usually see when it's taking place, but the best way of dealing with it is by making loud and public note of it with specific facts to back the charge, and spreading the name of the offender so that he might think twice about it the next time.
   692. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: August 30, 2011 at 02:50 AM (#3912014)
This thread, wow.... and to think, we may have another two hurricanes yet to come before winter!

And I don't know about the rest of the country, but I'll bet that our forward-looking New Yorkers are already hoarding their best insults for the next one.
   693. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: August 30, 2011 at 02:56 AM (#3912016)
I don't give a #### what people put on their steak and burgers as long as I get paid.
   694. Howie Menckel Posted: August 30, 2011 at 03:09 AM (#3912021)
"Here's an overhead picture of my town after the storm that "inflicted relatively little harm.""

"Who are you responding to?"

Um, I'm responding to the AP link just above mine that used the phrase "inflicted relatively little harm."

makes sense, no?
   695. Ray (RDP) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 03:11 AM (#3912023)
Never saw the link, and I have no idea what you're talking about. Price gouging exists in the real world, and anyone with eyes can usually see when it's taking place, but the best way of dealing with it is by making loud and public note of it with specific facts to back the charge, and spreading the name of the offender so that he might think twice about it the next time.

Well, my question is why it's bad, such that you'd want to tar and feather someone who did this. Increasing prices will stop the schmucks from stocking up on batteries they don't need (such as that woman McCoy linked to), and will mean that more people who DO need batteries will get them.

Plus, if enterprising individuals see a "gouging" opportunity, they will rush in to help in order to make money, such as by offering supplies to people at marked up prices. Is that so bad? Now supplies are available that wouldn't otherwise have been, because the "gougers" won't be around if they have to do it out of the goodness of their hearts. I know people who see gouging as Evil would rather fool themselves into believing that everyone should be doing Only Good Things That Help People, but at some point you might want to wake up and join the rest of us here in the real world. Gouging DOES help people.

Especially you, Andy -- someone who lived through the gas crisis of the '70s. Were those government-induced long lines for little gas really that much fun or productive? Having no memory of it I can't say. Maybe everyone was dancing on the hoods of their cars, singing, partying, having a grand old time waiting to get no gas because the government put a ceiling on the prices.
   696. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: August 30, 2011 at 03:45 AM (#3912041)

Are you Michael Kay?
   697. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: August 30, 2011 at 04:03 AM (#3912049)
Increasing prices will stop the schmucks from stocking up on batteries they don't need (such as that woman McCoy linked to),

Not if that woman has more money than you do.
   698.   Posted: August 30, 2011 at 06:04 AM (#3912081)
Do you put cheese on your steak?

You know, I haven't, but it sounds magnificent. I might try that next time.

A burger with nothing on it is ridiculous. Do you (Ray, not snapper) eat salad without dressing? P&J sandwich is just two slices of bread? Strange.

Here's a burger I had on Friday: Link

But seriously guys, have you never the expression "De gustibus non est disputandum"?

Um, no? I can honestly say I have not.
   699. Greg K Posted: August 30, 2011 at 08:36 AM (#3912090)
The only steak I can stomach is milk-steak.
   700. formerly dp Posted: August 30, 2011 at 10:31 AM (#3912093)
but at some point you might want to wake up and join the rest of us here in the real world.

It's cute that you think you live in the real world...

Gouging DOES help people.

Your whole post is a massive logic fail.

Please stop your whining Ray, it's annoying. ##### b!tch ##### b!tch #####.
Page 7 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Don Malcolm
for his generous support.