Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, August 26, 2011

The Hurricane Irene Thread

There was the Swine Flu thread, so why not the Hurricane thread. Isn’t that right, New York Mets and the rest of the Northeast teams?

The New York Mets say they have postponed Saturday and Sunday’s games against the Atlanta Braves because of Hurricane Irene.

Both games will be rescheduled as a single-admission doubleheader on Sept. 8 beginning at 4:10 p.m.

Major League Baseball already had moved Sunday’s games at Philadelphia and Boston to Saturday to make them part of day-night doubleheaders. The Phillies play the Marlins and the Red Sox play the Athletics.

So to the primates on the Eastern coastal regions- stay safe.

Gamingboy Posted: August 26, 2011 at 08:49 PM | 912 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: community, special topics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 10 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 10
   901. McCoy Posted: September 02, 2011 at 01:27 PM (#3915343)
You got to love the Andy-BTF argument cycle.

1. Andy says something.
2. Somebody disagrees with something Andy says.
3. Andy vigorously denies either saying it, anything wrong with it, or simply disagrees with the opposition.
4. Debate ensues.
5. Other people jump in to defend Andy but don't actually defend him based on the actual argument.

Case in point.

Hey Andy, Shylock is a racial slur

No it is not

Yes it is

Oops, sorry. Didn't mean it like that.

Andy is an anti-semite?? You guys are idiots for thinking that!
   902. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: September 02, 2011 at 01:34 PM (#3915349)
To be clear, I'm not defending Andy. In fact, I have him on my ignore list.
   903. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 02, 2011 at 01:41 PM (#3915361)
I's also like to say that beating up on Andy for using Shylock is absurd. Are we really that sensitive now?

I also seem to recall Ray and David being on the other side (with me) of similar language debates.

Maybe it's just that Andy's such a sob to argue with (your tactics and evasion are something special Andy, so you're not off the hook here) that you guys get frustrated, and look for anything to hand him on.
   904. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 02, 2011 at 03:28 PM (#3915458)
I also seem to recall Ray and David being on the other side (with me) of similar language debates.

I've never defended anyone's derogatory use of, e.g., the n-word.
   905. Jack Keefe Posted: September 02, 2011 at 03:54 PM (#3915473)
Well now they are all up set because Andy said Shylock and you know me Al when I am afraid I may say something Unsensitive I ask my Skipper Ozzie Guillen. Skip I said what if I say Shylock is it Andysemitic. Ozzie Guillen said Keefe The Villainy you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the Instruction. Yes Skip I said but what about Shylock. Lets say there is some Camel Jockey or some Kraut and I call him Shylock. Shylock is a bad name for a Jew but the Camel Jockey is not a Jew. So how is that a bad thing to say about a Jew Skip. First of all Keefe said Ozzie Guillen we have stopped saying Camel Jockey in this country long ago. The term you are looking for is American Son of Ishmael. And next of all what is this Kraut business. You sound like some 1 from 1 of those 40s movies Andy tapes so much of. The preferred term Keefe is Schnapps-Sucking American. OK Skip I said but what about Shylock. O Shylock said Ozzie Guillen. It sounds like a Literary Illusion. What harm, Keefe? If you prick me, am I not a prick? But all the same you should just say Dykstra-Deceiving American.
   906.   Posted: September 02, 2011 at 03:55 PM (#3915475)
[901] is so true. Except instead of Andy saying "Oops, sorry, didn't mean it like that" Andy says "I'm sorry that you morons thought I meant it like that"
   907. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: September 02, 2011 at 03:58 PM (#3915478)
905 could be my favorite Jack Keefe post of all time.
   908. formerly dp Posted: September 02, 2011 at 04:30 PM (#3915502)
I've never defended anyone's derogatory use of, e.g., the n-word.

You used it yourself on the last page. You edited the post and took it down, but it was there. You're the first to jump to the defense of people against the "PC police". Why would you pretend otherwise?
   909. Ray (RDP) Posted: September 02, 2011 at 04:34 PM (#3915509)
You used it yourself on the last page. You edited the post and took it down, but it was there.

?
   910. formerly dp Posted: September 02, 2011 at 04:35 PM (#3915510)
Short memory?
   911. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: September 02, 2011 at 08:18 PM (#3915764)
905 could be my favorite Jack Keefe post of all time.

Seconded. Andysemetic is probably the best Keefe-ism ever. Well done!!
   912. Spahn Insane Posted: September 02, 2011 at 08:48 PM (#3915787)
Andysemitic.

Oh hell yes.
   913. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: September 02, 2011 at 08:56 PM (#3915794)
It's impossible not to notice that the clowns jumping on Andy are the first to start whining whenever anyone remotely suggests that a careless use of language is surely meant derogatorily towards some group or other. Isn't one of their favorite whines about those dreadful pc police who terrify goodhearted righties into silent submission regarding any improper use of language?

It's not only ironic, it's laughable. We're talking about people who can't even get themselves to say that Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms were racists. Keefe is, as usual, brilliantly treating this whole inane topic with exactly the level of mockery that it deserves.

---------------------------------------

[901] is so true. Except instead of Andy saying "Oops, sorry, didn't mean it like that" Andy says "I'm sorry that you morons thought I meant it like that"

Well, it is true that you'd have to be pretty much of a moron to think that calling an Arab oil cartel a bunch of Shylocks is akin to anti-semitism. But considering the sources, it's not too surprising.

---------------------------------------

To be clear, I'm not defending Andy. In fact, I have him on my ignore list.

Is that a promise?
   914. Morty Causa Posted: September 02, 2011 at 09:55 PM (#3915813)
Shylock? Trivia, where is they sting? How about shyster? Is that kosher?

But let us not resort to tarradiddle. Just keep in mind: Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernow! You're not those, are you?
   915. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 04, 2011 at 09:26 AM (#3916509)
It still qualifies as bigotry anytime you apply a stereotype to an entire group, regardless of whether the stereotype is positive or negative.
That does not match either my understanding of the word nor the dictionary definitions I googled. Now, I am not saying either (1) positive stereotypes can't be pernicious, or (2) bigots might not sometimes hold certain positive stereotypes. Both of those are true. But it is not bigotry "anytime" one applies a positive stereotype. Bigotry requires intolerance, not merely overgeneralization.
   916. ray james Posted: September 04, 2011 at 12:55 PM (#3916519)
Is that a WC Fields quote, Morty?

It sounds like one.
Page 10 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 10

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.