Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Todd Helton, long time Rockies first basemen, arrested for DUI in Colorado

Long time Colorado Rockies first baseman Todd Helton was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol Wednesday, the team announced. The incident occurred in Thornton, Colo.

The team released a statement along with the announcement of his arrest.

“We were extremely disappointed to learn that Todd was arrested this morning. This type of behavior is taken very seriously by our organization. We know that he clearly understands the seriousness of his poor decision, the harm that could have been inflicted on others and the embarrassment his mistake has caused to himself, his family, the Colorado Rockies organization and to Major League Baseball,” the statement read. “Todd is taking full accountability for his actions with his family, his fans and the organization. The man we have grown to know has strong values that are grounded in his family and hard work. Todd clearly understands the severity of the situation.”

Helton himself expressed remorse for his actions, issuing a public apology through the team.

“I am very sorry and embarrassed by my actions. I hold myself to a high standard and take my responsibility as a public figure very seriously. My entire career I have worked to set a positive example for my family and in our community, and I fell far short of this standard,” Helton said. “I humbly ask your forgiveness”

Repoz Posted: February 06, 2013 at 05:10 PM | 116 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: on, rocks, the

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Barnaby Jones Posted: February 08, 2013 at 12:52 AM (#4365495)
I know (couldn't remember the year) but has anybody called him that since then?

I don't know, but if you just said "Mr. November" I would know you meant Jeter.

The Federalist is an amazing nickname. I don't know if it is common, but it should be.

"The Jay-Hey Kid" was obvious enough that it was independently created by a thousand different people. It's lame, but it is common.
   102. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: February 08, 2013 at 01:54 AM (#4365517)
1.2 is a few gallons of vodka past dead.

Habit from growing up in Germany. They list BAC in ‰ not %.
   103. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: February 08, 2013 at 02:02 AM (#4365520)
The Shark is Roger Bernadina, of all people. The Beast is Mike Morse and probably 50 other people.

I knew both of those despite having no idea about the "Take on Me" thing.
   104. Ray (RDP) Posted: February 08, 2013 at 11:49 AM (#4365623)
"The Big Unit" and "The Big Hurt" were always two odd nicknames to me.
   105. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: February 08, 2013 at 12:13 PM (#4365653)
I get the irony/ridiculousness of a millionaire buying lottery tickets but some people get a huge kick out of winning $3 from a scratch-off. Let's not judge!
   106. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: February 08, 2013 at 12:21 PM (#4365664)
I get the irony/ridiculousness of a millionaire buying lottery tickets but some people get a huge kick out of winning $3 from a scratch-off. Let's not judge!

He got busted for a DUI. I am perfectly okay with him being judged.
   107. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: February 08, 2013 at 12:35 PM (#4365675)
you generally can't refuse the intoxilyzer, under the theory that you have impliedly consented to having your breath tested by getting behind the wheel on a street or highway of your state.

My impression was that you can refuse the breathalizer, but then your license will be suspended. However, that is very different from a conviction for DUI. Am I wrong about that?

I knew "Fat Ichiro" because when you search for "Ichiro" on baseball-reference, Sandoval comes up as one of the results.
   108. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: February 08, 2013 at 12:36 PM (#4365677)
Jason Heyward is the "J-Hey Kid" which I recall is a dumb nickname somebody on this very board made up for him.

That was me, and I don't think I was being serious at the time.
   109. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: February 08, 2013 at 02:05 PM (#4365734)
you generally can't refuse the intoxilyzer, under the theory that you have impliedly consented to having your breath tested by getting behind the wheel on a street or highway of your state.

My impression was that you can refuse the breathalizer, but then your license will be suspended. However, that is very different from a conviction for DUI. Am I wrong about that?

In CA, it's "implied consent" to SOME kind of blood test, not necessarily breath.
If you MUST choose, my free legal advice: blood draw will be the most accurate (for the good & bad of that).

And, yes, DMV license suspension is a whole separate issue from the criminal case.
Some of my practice is low-fee representation at DMV hearings for people who have a public defender for their criminal case - PDs don't deal with the DMV part.
   110. T.J. Posted: February 08, 2013 at 03:30 PM (#4365792)
In NC, your license is revoked for a year, and you can't get a Limited Driving Privilege for at least six months (and only then after the DWI charge is resolved). Which, in a rural area, is pretty devastating.

In addition, your refusal can be used against you in your DWI trial as evidence of your guilt: "He refused to blow, which proves he was drunk!" Usually, refusal to do what the cops want can't be used against you in court.
   111. Ron J2 Posted: February 08, 2013 at 04:42 PM (#4365824)
#52 A friend of mine did valet parking at Scotia Bank Place, The people with the really expensive cars would ask for him specifically. Most of the other guys were 20somethings. He was in his late 50s, with an A-Z license. Didn't take long for the word to get out that there was one very dependable guy working there.
   112. Ron J2 Posted: February 08, 2013 at 04:51 PM (#4365835)
#98 I knew it wasn't Hafner. I don't know if its still part of his wardrobe, but at one time he liked to wear a T-shirt that said, "I may not be smart but I can lift heavy things"
   113. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: February 08, 2013 at 05:02 PM (#4365842)
In CA, it's "implied consent" to SOME kind of blood test, not necessarily breath.
If you MUST choose, my free legal advice: blood draw will be the most accurate (for the good & bad of that).

And, yes, DMV license suspension is a whole separate issue from the criminal case.
Some of my practice is low-fee representation at DMV hearings for people who have a public defender for their criminal case - PDs don't deal with the DMV part.

I guess my question (not a practical one as I don't drive anyway) is this: If you know you're drunk and going to fail the test, are you better off taking or refusing a test (be it breathalizer or blood test)? If you refuse a test, I know that refusal can be used to suspend your license, but can it be used against you effectively in the DUI case?
   114. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: February 08, 2013 at 05:04 PM (#4365845)
#98 I knew it wasn't Hafner.

Hafner actually does have a cool nickname - Pronk. Half "The Project" and half "Donkey".
   115. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: February 08, 2013 at 06:19 PM (#4365883)
The Shark is Jeff Samardzija; I first heard this when he was playing football. (It may also be other people.)
   116. Howie Menckel Posted: February 08, 2013 at 06:33 PM (#4365886)
"The Big Unit" - if you asked someone to describe an - enthusiastic - member, "randy johnson" might come to mind. so to speak.

but actually it's presumably a reference to his being a giant, in Conehead-esque language.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.