Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Top 175 MLB Prospects for 2018 - Minor League Ball

It’s a little late this year but here is John Sickels Top 175 Prospect List.

Jim Furtado Posted: March 15, 2018 at 03:48 PM | 19 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: prospects

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Walt Davis Posted: March 15, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5638669)
Woo-hoo, Cubs with 3 in the to 50!!

Oh wait ... actual Cubs don't appear until #134. (I'm fine with the trades, it's more a testament to what a draft/sign/develop run Theo had there for a few years.

Is Magneuris Sierra no longer eligible? He's not here at all. Alcantara is nearly the lantern rouge at #174.

Stanton trade: Guzman #83, Jose Devers unranked.

Yelich trade: Brinson #35, Harrison #110, Diaz #124, Yamamoto unranked

Verlander: Perez #38, Rogers #129, Cameron unranked

Longoria: Arroyo #81, Krook and Woods unranked

Sale: Kopech #14, Diaz and Basabe unranked (not even the wrong one) ... of course Moncada too

Frazier et al: all unranked ... would have thought Rutherford would pop up.

Quintana: Jimenez #9, Cease #46, Flete and Rose unranked (thank god)

Gray: Mateo #42, Fowler #91, Kapriellan unranked
   2. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 16, 2018 at 10:42 AM (#5638933)
2016 #1 Overall Mickey Moniak doesn't make the top 175. Too early to call bust?
   3. Worrierking Posted: March 16, 2018 at 10:54 AM (#5638944)
2016 #1 Overall Mickey Moniak doesn't make the top 175. Too early to call bust?

It looks like Sickels has completely jettisoned a bunch of guys who had bad years in 2017 (like Moniak).

I didn't see Blake Rutherford, Corey Ray or Riley Pint. All of them were really disappointing last year, but still appear on some or most of the top 100 lists. He may just be quicker than others to abandon a bandwagon. Maybe overly quick.
   4. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 16, 2018 at 11:23 AM (#5638974)
It looks like Sickels has completely jettisoned a bunch of guys who had bad years in 2017 (like Moniak).

I didn't see Blake Rutherford, Corey Ray or Riley Pint. All of them were really disappointing last year, but still appear on some or most of the top 100 lists. He may just be quicker than others to abandon a bandwagon. Maybe overly quick.

Well, his list goes down to borderline B/B- guys. Straight Bs end at 167. Presumably there are a bunch of B/B- guys who don't make the cut.

The question is, are any of the guys you list good enough to be straight Bs?
   5. Ziggy's screen name Posted: March 16, 2018 at 12:35 PM (#5639041)
Definitely too early to call him a bust. He had a rough year as a 19 yo in A ball. Now, there's a difference between "not yet a bust" and "belongs on a top prospect list". So I'm not saying that Sickles should have included him, but I am saying that the Phillies should not give up hope of getting MLB value from him.
   6. bfan Posted: March 16, 2018 at 12:43 PM (#5639047)
Definitely too early to call him a bust. He had a rough year as a 19 yo in A ball. Now, there's a difference between "not yet a bust" and "belongs on a top prospect list". So I'm not saying that Sickles should have included him, but I am saying that the Phillies should not give up hope of getting MLB value from him.

Yes, it is funny. Basically, we are at a point where we could say, in another universe, his sophomore season in college was a bit disappointing, but he hopes to rebound in his junior year.
   7. The Duke Posted: March 16, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5639051)
Cards with two top notch catchers waiting for Molina to retire. It will be a long wait imo. I see trades in the future
   8. PreservedFish Posted: March 16, 2018 at 01:05 PM (#5639065)
Do the Mets have the worst system now? 2 guys I've never heard of.
   9. cardsfanboy Posted: March 16, 2018 at 01:23 PM (#5639073)
Cards with two top notch catchers waiting for Molina to retire. It will be a long wait imo. I see trades in the future

Trades in the future, but Molina has pretty much announced his retirement after the 2020 season. Sure that is three seasons from now but still enough to start phasing in a new guy. Carson Kelly will probably be the full time back up this year, although if it was me, I would promote him for three weeks as a backup, then swap him with Knizner for three weeks etc... to ensure that they get everyday playing time in the minors and big league experience. It starts their clock early but neither one of these guys are spring chickens anyway, and will be owned by the Cardinals until they are 28/29 or so.
   10. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 16, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5639149)

Trades in the future, but Molina has pretty much announced his retirement after the 2020 season.

If either of these guys are any good, they should take his job long before then. He's average now, and will be 36 in July.

I'd bet against him keeping the starting job through age 39.
   11. The Duke Posted: March 16, 2018 at 07:13 PM (#5639210)
Yadi is shooting for the hall. This means he will catch every game he can and while he has talked about retirement - if he is still playing well, he’s going to keep playing on, maybe not for Cards.
   12. puck Posted: March 17, 2018 at 01:28 PM (#5639387)
The question is, are any of the guys you list good enough to be straight Bs?

Pint is a B-:

...very inconsistent off-speed pitches and poor command due to mechanical issues make him quite hittable at this point, even for Low-A hitters; widely regarded as best pitching prospect in the Rockies system; in my opinion he has the best arm for certain, but that’s not the same thing as being the best pitching prospect, thus his ranking here; he certainly has lots of time but another bad year as a starter will increase relief rumors...
   13. Tom Nawrocki Posted: March 18, 2018 at 02:56 PM (#5639556)
very inconsistent off-speed pitches and poor command due to mechanical issues make him quite hittable at this point, even for Low-A hitters;

Well, if you have to have problems, that's the one you want to have, isn't it? Mechanical issues can be fixed. A pitcher with perfect mechanics who can't consistently throw off-speed pitches is likely no prospect at all.

On the other hand, Pint has been hilariously awful so far.
   14. cardsfanboy Posted: March 18, 2018 at 10:17 PM (#5639634)
If either of these guys are any good, they should take his job long before then. He's average now, and will be 36 in July.

I'd bet against him keeping the starting job through age 39.

I think the plan is to slowly move the guys into the lineup, they have been trying to reduce Yadi's workload for the last two years, and I think that going into the season with Kelly as the backup is going to force that issue, barring an injury I think that Yadi will probably only catch 110 games or so this year as a starter with Kelly getting the other 50. Next year it will probably be a planned 50/50 thing and the following season a hand off reversing this year concept. Yadi will still get plenty of appearances as a defensive replacement, and will probably even get in 10-15 or so games as a first baseman (in theory, in reality the hope is that Jose Martinez makes that option not an option)
   15. Howie Menckel Posted: March 18, 2018 at 10:43 PM (#5639636)
Kelly was demoted to AAA today.
   16. Infinite Yost (Voxter) Posted: March 18, 2018 at 10:54 PM (#5639638)
The Mariners: the MLB team is middling, but luckily the farm sucks.
   17. cardsfanboy Posted: March 18, 2018 at 10:58 PM (#5639639)
Kelly was demoted to AAA today.

Cardinals literally have no other catcher on the 40 man roster, it's going to require a couple of moves for anyone else other than Kelly to be the backup on opening day. Not saying that the team won't make that move with a dl stint or something for someone, but the Cardinals currently do not have any other options on the 40 man roster.

And I really do think the team is missing out on him by not admitting up front that they are going to put him on a revolving bus between the majors (for bench depth) and the minors(for everyday experience) it just seems such an obvious way to handle the situation, that they aren't doing that, seems silly to me.

You say he's going to be the memphis starter 3 out of every 5 weeks of the season, and the mlb backup for the other two. He'll get on average 3 starts in the majors per two weeks and probably 15 or so starts in the minors every 5 weeks giving him roughly 18 starts per month on average or about 110 or so games(some of those numbers are fudged but overall about right)
   18. Howie Menckel Posted: March 18, 2018 at 11:54 PM (#5639646)
I am no Cards fan boy, but apparently someone named Francisco Pena - he of multiple cups of coffee with the Royals and Orioles - will start the season as No. 2.
   19. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 19, 2018 at 09:29 AM (#5639674)
Extending Molina for 3 years was a big mistake. It's going to cause no end of problems with PT. I would have gone year-to-year with him.

It reminds me of the last Jeter extension. The Yankees should have let him walk, the Cardinals probably should have done likewise.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Eugene Freedman
for his generous support.