Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Trade Deadline Catch-All Tread

Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 26, 2018 at 03:22 PM | 218 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: trade deadline

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 
   101. Bote Man Posted: July 30, 2018 at 08:02 PM (#5718191)
Noting the Yankees stockpiling international bonus pool money...isn't there some kind of limitation on how they can spend that money? In other words, having, say $10M in international bonus pool money can't be spent all at once or all on one player, correct?

In other news, I'm stupid about such matters. TNX.
   102. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: July 30, 2018 at 08:07 PM (#5718197)
Looks like International Bonus Pool money is a priority for the Yankees. A little surprised by the recent churn on the fringe of the roster, but a couple of international free agent signings panning out down the road could be significant since the Yankees may be picking near the end of the amateur draft for a while.

If the numbers in #82 are correct, the Yankees have to essentially maxed out their potential allotment at this point.
   103. villageidiom Posted: July 30, 2018 at 08:11 PM (#5718201)
They can acquire up to 75% over what their normal allotment would be.

Actually, I don't know if the limit is on what they can acquire, or what they can spend. If it's on the latter, acquiring cap space just prevents other teams from acquiring it. But I assume the former is true.

104. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: July 30, 2018 at 08:15 PM (#5718205)
#101 From MLBTR on the 2018-19 International Signing Period:

Unlike the system that was in place from 2012-16, in which teams would routinely shatter their international bonus pools and take two-year signing penalties in exchange for one enormous haul of amateur talent, the system under the 2017-21 collective bargaining agreement contains a hard cap that cannot be exceeded. Teams are still permitted to trade for up to 75 percent of their originally allotted bonus pool, however, and any team is free to trade away as much of its pool as it wishes. International pool allotments must be traded in increments of $250K — unless it includes the last remainder of a team’s pool.

MLBTR

There is no cap on an individual bonus given, except the max cap amount, of course ...

105. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 30, 2018 at 08:39 PM (#5718213)
As noted elsewhere, the Yankees roster now includes:
6'6" 300 lb CC Sabathia
6'5" 280 lb Lance Lynn
6'8" 265 lb Dellin Betances
6'5" 238 lb A.J. Cole
6'7" 282 lb Aaron Judge (on DL)
6'6" 245 lb Giancarlo Stanton

That's a lot of baseball player.
   106. Bote Man Posted: July 30, 2018 at 08:40 PM (#5718214)
The days when a fan could see himself in his favorite player's shoes have long since passed us by.

You could probably stuff two of me inside C.C. Sabathia and still have room for one of Deivi Martinez' camels.
   107. Bote Man Posted: July 30, 2018 at 08:51 PM (#5718217)
Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
Int’l scout: “Yankees are killing it. There are still several unsigned international guys. (Cashman) upgraded his pitching, traded off surplus for international $$$ and can add very high-quality prospects to keep or guys he can trade (later) for top-of-the-rotation starters.”

Kiley McDaniel @kileymcd
NYY has arguably the best int’l department—believed to be the biggest staff and the most scouting reports. They have a track record of turning low bonus types quickly into assets, so this money goes further for them than it would for other clubs. Interesting strategy by Cash.
   108. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: July 30, 2018 at 09:10 PM (#5718227)
The Phillies have been playing Scott Kingery at SS a lot, and he doesn't pass the eye test for me. Plus, they are using Jesmuel Valentin as a super sub and pinch hitter, and Cabrera should upgrade that spot.

Oh yeah, the bench was ludicrously thin before this trade. Supersub Jesmuel Valentin, Super?...sub? Trevor Plouffe, the backup catcher, and a rotating cast of prospects that they don't want to call up because they don't want to have them warm the bench. Replacing Valentin with Cabrera and calling up Roman Quinn instead of some pinch hitting guy will help a lot.
   109. stevegamer Posted: July 30, 2018 at 10:39 PM (#5718272)
I'd really rather see Kingery in AAA once they get healthy, but they seem to really want him in the majors.
   110. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: July 30, 2018 at 11:23 PM (#5718294)
Braves Acquire Adam Duvall From Reds For Lucas Sims, Matt Wisler, Preston Tucker

Over the last year, Adam Duvall is hitting .209/.280/.394. I’m really not sure why the Braves wanted him.

I think Cinci did very well here—I like the direction they’re headed.
   111. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 30, 2018 at 11:28 PM (#5718300)
The days when a fan could see himself in his favorite player's shoes have long since passed us by.
Much like the days when C.C. Sabathia could see himself in his own shoes.
   112. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: July 31, 2018 at 12:34 AM (#5718326)
The Red Sox have struck a deal to bring in second baseman Ian Kinsler from the Angels, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (via Twitter). Minor-leaguers Williams Jerez and Ty Buttrey are going to the Halos in return, as Jon Heyman of Fancred was first to tweet.

Boston will also receive some money in the deal, per reports from Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston (Twitter links) and Rosenthal (via Twitter). The Sox will receive $1.83MM, about half of the $3.6MM or so still owed to Kinsler, who is earning $11MM this year before reaching free agency at season’s end.

MLBTR
   113. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 31, 2018 at 09:02 AM (#5718361)
Duvall will play LF against LHP. Acuna will move to center. Essentially a platoon partner for Inciarte.
   114. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 31, 2018 at 09:18 AM (#5718367)
Also worth noting that none of the players sent to Cincinnati would have survived this winters 40 man roster crunch in ATL.
   115. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: July 31, 2018 at 09:37 AM (#5718375)
Over the last year, Adam Duvall is hitting .209/.280/.394. I’m really not sure why the Braves wanted him.

I think Cinci did very well here—I like the direction they’re headed.

I've become a Duvall apologist. His expected stats over at Baseball Savant show him significantly underperforming (40 points of average, 90 of slugging) based on what he "should" be hitting. A .244 babip for a guy who hits the ball hard certainly seems low.

But yeah, the last calendar year slash line is pretty rough. Duvall started off 2016 and 2017 well, then significantly cooled after the ASB. He's a diabetic and one theory is that the Reds wore him out by starting him every day. This year, he didn't benefit from a hot start.
   116. dlf Posted: July 31, 2018 at 10:12 AM (#5718388)
I've become a Duvall apologist. His expected stats over at Baseball Savant show him significantly underperforming (40 points of average, 90 of slugging) based on what he "should" be hitting. A .244 babip for a guy who hits the ball hard certainly seems low.

Then he fits in, sorta, with the guy Rickey expects him to platoon with. Ender's BABIP this year is .269; last year it was .335 and for his career, including both this year and last, he is at .317. If he had the same luck on balls in play this year as last, this move doesn't get made.

FWIW, Inciarte's defensive numbers are down both this year and last, but visually I haven't noticed any difference from his prior outstanding D; however, he is at an age where defense starts to slip.
   117. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 31, 2018 at 10:15 AM (#5718389)
Inciarte has one of the lowest average exit velocities in the league this year. His low babip is a function of poor contact.
   118. Ziggy's screen name Posted: July 31, 2018 at 10:26 AM (#5718397)
Trading Duvall isn't a big deal exactly, but it's also not necessary. He's still cheap, and it's not like he's going to be a FA any time soon. He's got the offensive profile of Mark Trumbo, and a much better glove. Now you don't expect much return for that, but the guys that they got aren't even lottery tickets, they're just spare parts. As ugly as the Reds' pitching has been this season, it's not clear to me that either of these guys are upgrades.
   119. The Interdimensional Council of Rickey!'s Posted: July 31, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5718406)
Preston Tucker can hit a lot of bombs in that park.
   120. Yonder Alonso in misguided trousers (cardinal) Posted: July 31, 2018 at 10:49 AM (#5718408)
So does the Kinsler trade imply that Pedroia's not coming back at all this season?
   121. Bote Man Posted: July 31, 2018 at 10:54 AM (#5718410)
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan
Source: Tommy Pham has been traded to the Rays.

This does not appear to be a fake account, btw.

More:

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
Rays do not believe Pham’s 2017 season was a fluke, and that his underlying numbers this season indicate his overall performance is close to that. Have a need in the outfield, three years control.
   122. Bote Man Posted: July 31, 2018 at 10:58 AM (#5718412)
I just made the point on Twitter that Mike Rizzo should trade for both Inciarte and Martin Prado to get them off opposing rosters since they are such Nats-killers, even with Inciarte's falloff.
   123. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 11:36 AM (#5718436)
Trading Duvall isn't a big deal exactly, but it's also not necessary. He's still cheap, and it's not like he's going to be a FA any time soon. He's got the offensive profile of Mark Trumbo, and a much better glove. Now you don't expect much return for that, but the guys that they got aren't even lottery tickets, they're just spare parts. As ugly as the Reds' pitching has been this season, it's not clear to me that either of these guys are upgrades.

Yeah, I don't really like this deal from the Reds POV at all... Sims and Wisler are flotsam in Atlanta, while Tucker is 28 and has amassed all of -0.6 career WAR in 200 MLB games. Not saying that they'd have gotten Anderson/Wright/Soroka/etc for him, but I'd rather have gotten some lottery tickets than near-term filler.

The Pham trade is interesting - eternal prospect Justin Williams and some nice lottery tickets (Cabrera in particular) going the other way. Williams is still just 22-23, I think - and it does say something for his tools that despite his completely lost approach at the plate, he's actually managed to earn his way up to AAA by sheer talent. If the ongoing STL malaise hasn't impacted their generally good player development, this might be an interesting deal in a few years.
   124. Chip Posted: July 31, 2018 at 11:44 AM (#5718446)
So does the Kinsler trade imply that Pedroia's not coming back at all this season?

His return has been seen as a longshot for awhile now.
   125. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: July 31, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5718450)
Honestly the minute Pedroia went back on the DL I mentally counted him out for 2018.
   126. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: July 31, 2018 at 12:06 PM (#5718464)
Hey Jose, did you notice that the soccer thread got whacked?
   127. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 31, 2018 at 12:57 PM (#5718497)
The Red Sox have struck a deal to bring in second baseman Ian Kinsler from the Angels, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (via Twitter). Minor-leaguers Williams Jerez and Ty Buttrey are going to the Halos in return, as Jon Heyman of Fancred was first to tweet.
Great trade by the Angels. This season's been disappointing, but the two trade deadline deals have me optimistic about next season. David Fletcher's going to get a full-time run at 2nd base now, and hopefully we'll get a chance in a few weeks to see if Taylor Ward can hit big league pitching.
   128. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 12:59 PM (#5718499)
Leonys Martin to the Indians for Will Castro.

Ziegler supposedly back to Arizona, though he's been the leading contender for the "done deal... oops, not done deal" rumor mill award for the last day or so.
   129. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:04 PM (#5718505)
Looks like the Tigers also tossed in minor leaguer Kyle Dowdy... presumably, to take Ryan Merritt's role as the 4A swing man who doesn't walk people...
   130. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:09 PM (#5718507)
CoB - No I didn't. I'll get a new one going. Any idea why it got whacked?
   131. GGIAS (aka Poster Nutbag) Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:09 PM (#5718508)
I thought Martin would have been a good fit for Oakland. I guess they will have to settle for Harper instead.
   132. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:11 PM (#5718509)
Willi Castro is one helluva nice get for 2 months of Leonys Martin. Well done Tigers.
   133. aberg Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:20 PM (#5718519)
I like what the Twins have done over the last few days. They sent out Escobar, Duke, Lynn, and Pressly. They reportedly tried to negotiate an extension with Escobar and sent him out when they realized they were too far apart to get anything worked out. They got back prospects who now slot in as 11, 14, 17, and 22 in their system, as well as Tyler Austin, Chase DeJong and two other guys with non-awful minor league stats.

Pressly is the only one who has more than 2 months of team control left, and he would be a FA after next year. I think Pressley is a good reliever, but I also think other teams pay a premium for guys like him this time of year. Among the other three, if one of those seven other guys turns into an ok major leaguer, those six years of team control make all of the trades a great deal. Maybe it's a bit like throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, but when you're not in contention anyway, that works for me.

I'm quite happy to be out from under Lynn. He has looked horrible all year. He's walking 5.45/9 and even his xFIP is 4.48. Maybe the Yankees can get more out of him, but it wasn't happening in MN and even if he turned it around, it wasn't going to mean much for a sub-500 team. It's also a drag to watch a guy walk the world every fifth day.

Still wondering what happens with Dozier today. It would be great to get something back for him. I wouldn't mind giving him a QO and getting the comp pick if there isn't a better offer on the table. The fallback is that he takes the QO, which isn't so bad, either, since the Twins have a decent roster and a lot of money to spend after this year. Santana probably hasn't done enough in two mediocre starts to establish any trade value. If someone wants to send back a C+ prospect for two months of him, I'd be happy with that too.
   134. aberg Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5718520)
Can anyone explain the Pham trade to me? I know that he's had a bad couple of months and there is an OF logjam in STL. Even so, he hasn't even reached arb yet and they didn't get much back for him. What is the rush to get rid of him?
   135. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:27 PM (#5718522)
Still wondering what happens with Dozier today.

What's the market for him? Honestly I've been expecting the Red Sox to get him for quite some time now and I was shocked when they landed Kinsler last night which likely takes them off the Dozier train. I assume there's a market for him, he's a good player, I just don't know what it is.
   136. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:30 PM (#5718524)
CoB - No I didn't. I'll get a new one going. Any idea why it got whacked?

Thanks.

No idea, but a new thread so that we can all memorialize our terrible predictions for the upcoming PL season would be ideal!
   137. aberg Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:32 PM (#5718530)
What's the market for him? Honestly I've been expecting the Red Sox to get him for quite some time now and I was shocked when they landed Kinsler last night which likely takes them off the Dozier train. I assume there's a market for him, he's a good player, I just don't know what it is.

It's a good question. It seemed like Milwaukee, Arizona, or Boston could all be candidates, but all went with other IF options. I heard Houston mentioned depending on Altuve's health status. Someone mentioned Cleveland recently (assuming to push Kipnis to the OF again).
   138. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:40 PM (#5718535)
A writer named Darren Wolfson (presumably a Twin beat writer) Tweeted this out this morning;

If curious if a Dozier market still exists, it does. Actually is heating up this morning, I'm told. #MNTwins won't though just give him away.

That's the last update that MLBTR has on him. That's not exactly a lot of concrete information. He is a good enough player that he makes sense for pretty much any contender, that's a pretty good ballplayer as a 5th infielder, but whether he's willing to go somewhere to be in that role and if a team would give what the Twins want is questionable to me. I'm sure the Astros would love him as insurance but what are you going to give up for an insurance policy?

No idea, but a new thread so that we can all memorialize our terrible predictions for the upcoming PL season would be ideal!

Done.
   139. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5718537)
whether he's willing to go somewhere to be in that role
He's not a 10-and-5, so unless he signed an extension with a no-trade, I don't think he has any say in the matter.
   140. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:45 PM (#5718540)
Well yeah but you're a poopy head! (I assumed he was 10-5, it's nice when someone is younger than I expect).
   141. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5718550)
134. aberg Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5718520)
Can anyone explain the Pham trade to me? I know that he's had a bad couple of months and there is an OF logjam in STL. Even so, he hasn't even reached arb yet and they didn't get much back for him. What is the rush to get rid of him?

According to St Louis sportswriters, Pham didn’t get along well with Cardinal management. He had a “bad attitude.” He “didn’t play the game the right way.” He was “too cocky and outspoken.” He “listened to rap music and wore his damn jeans so low you could see his beee-hind.”
   142. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: July 31, 2018 at 01:58 PM (#5718553)
   143. Perry Posted: July 31, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5718557)

Speculation.... A combination of things. He was going to be losing playing time to Bader and O'Neill (who's tearing up AAA) going forward, and based on the stuff he said in SI a few months ago, they figured he'd be trouble if he wasn't playing. He's 30 and has an extensive injury history and a degenerative eye condition. They decided that last year was something of a fluke and that going forward he was going to be a below-average player... that's about all I got. Sorry to see him go, last year was fantastic, but it was also last year. They did get some upside potential in return.
   144. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 31, 2018 at 02:04 PM (#5718559)
According to St Louis sportswriters, Pham didn’t get along well with Cardinal management. He had a “bad attitude.” He “didn’t play the game the right way.” He was “too cocky and outspoken.” He “listened to rap music and wore his damn jeans so low you could see his beee-hind.”
Wouldn't half of their complaints have been that he was "inscrutable" and he "ate dog meat in the clubhouse" and such?
   145. Perry Posted: July 31, 2018 at 02:08 PM (#5718561)

Can you name these writers, or are you making #### up? Because I've never seen anything like that other than him not getting along with management, because he thought he was held back in the minors too long. His attitude is fine, he works his ass off and definitely plays "the right way" if that means busting his ass at all times and constantly trying to improve.
   146. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 31, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5718562)
Jerry Crasnick @jcrasnick

Tommy Pham's relationship with the #STLcards took a hit when the team renewed his contract for $570K in the spring. He expressed his displeasure at the time. It's been a tough year for a lot of people in St. Louis. He should benefit from a fresh start with the #Rays.

Mark Saxon @markasaxon

As Cras references here, the tension never really abated between Tommy and the front office. Recently he asked for an expensive piece of exercise equipment and became unhappy when the team didn’t provide it. Many small clashes, I’m told by source. TB has been on him a long time.
   147. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: July 31, 2018 at 02:31 PM (#5718578)
Tommy Pham's relationship with the #STLcards took a hit when the team renewed his contract for $570K in the spring. He expressed his displeasure at the time. It's been a tough year for a lot of people in St. Louis. He should benefit from a fresh start with the #Rays.
This seems incredibly short-sighted by the Cardinals.
   148. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 02:39 PM (#5718585)

Heh... well, as noted - somewhat amusing that they basically traded him for a prospect who has a bit of the same kind of 'reputation'.
   149. there isn't anything to do in buffalo but 57i66135 Posted: July 31, 2018 at 02:43 PM (#5718588)
it's pretty impressive that ESPN can't air a 2.5 hour trade deadline special without throwing in a 10 minute puff piece on lebron, for shits and giggles.
   150. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: July 31, 2018 at 02:45 PM (#5718589)
You can't expect a small-market team like St Louis spend money on exercise equipment!
   151. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: July 31, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5718592)
it's pretty impressive that ESPN can't air a 2.5 hour trade deadline special without throwing in a 10 minute puff piece on lebron, for shits and giggles.

"One, LeBron needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever LeBron's not onscreen, all the other anchors should be asking 'Where's LeBron?'"
   152. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5718601)
Wilson Ramos has been traded to the Phillies.
   153. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5718602)
Wilson Ramos to Phillies.
   154. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:19 PM (#5718604)
Sounding like Archer might be going to the Pirates.
   155. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:20 PM (#5718605)
As noted in Gonfalon, sounds like Brandon Kintzler to the Cubs.
   156. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5718607)
Dodgers close to getting Dozier
   157. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5718608)
Guasman to Braves...
   158. BrianBrianson Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:35 PM (#5718613)

You could probably stuff two of me inside C.C. Sabathia and still have room for one of Deivi Martinez' camels.

Fans come in different flavors. If one of those guys could direct me to a good place to get 14EE shoes, I'd listen.
   159. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5718615)

Marc Topkin

@TBTimes_Rays

BREAKING: Under deal being finalized, #Rays trade Archer to #Pirates for Glasnow, Meadows and a still being decided 3rd piece
12:34 PM - Jul 31, 2018 · St Petersburg, FL
   160. Red Voodooin Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:38 PM (#5718617)
Pirates getting Chris Archer from the Rays, per Olney.

Very odd to see the Pirates buying.
   161. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:42 PM (#5718618)
Wow.

Glasnow AND Meadows... and more?

I know somebody still needs to teach Glasnow to throw strikes but that seems to be a pretty nice haul for the Rays.
   162. aberg Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:44 PM (#5718619)
Archer to Pirates is super interesting. And the Rays, as usual, got a hefty return.
   163. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5718624)
Very odd to see the Pirates buying.

I agree. Maybe they have a deal in place to flip him?

Or they think they're "in it," or at least close enough to make a run.
   164. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:52 PM (#5718625)
I'm cynical enough to think that they're doing this because Pirate attendance has finally cratered enough that spending a little money is almost certain to bring back more in revenue.

Edit: They won't be flipping Archer.
   165. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:53 PM (#5718626)
Phillies have also acquired Aaron Loup from the Blue Jays for Jacob Waguespack. Waguespack has worked his way up in 3 years from undrafted free agent (and he went to Ole Miss, so it's not like the scouts missed him) to AAA RHP innings-eater. Maybe he can advance farther!

I fear this means the end for Andrew Knapp with the Phillies. Well, once Ramos gets off the DL anyway. Knapp is the elusive player who has a good batting eye but no other MLB-quality skills besides "can play catcher".

Looks like it's time to compete!
   166. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:54 PM (#5718627)
LOOGY Aaron Loup to the Phillies -- I wonder if the Jacob Waguespack the Jays got is any relation to the Chicago alderman?

Jake Diekman apparently headed to AZ.

Brewers chasing the O's Schoop... apparently second thoughts on Shaw at 2B?
   167. jmurph Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5718628)
I'm cynical enough to think that they're doing this because Pirate attendance has finally cratered enough that spending a little money is almost certain to bring back more in revenue.

I get it, but they're right in the wild card race.
   168. aberg Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:55 PM (#5718629)

And in this case, "a little money" is $9 per year for 3 years. Good opportunity to look like they're investing without actually doing it. At the same time, I still like Archer a lot.
   169. The_Ex Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:57 PM (#5718631)
Trade Deadline Catch-All Tread

The wheels are in motion. Teams are burning rubber trying to get these deals across the finishing line.
   170. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 03:58 PM (#5718632)

Thoughts on the deal overall?

I suppose absent something really crazy crashing out of the blue - Archer is the best SP to move this July... but even playing FIP, he's not what he was 2+ years ago. Unless you're completely soured on Glasnow and figured it was best to sell while he still had a value, I really am not sure I like that deal from a Pirates perspective.
   171. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:00 PM (#5718633)
Axford to the Dodgers. Fiers to the A's.

Oh, and the White Sox acquired Hunter Schryver from the Rays for slot money... apparently, their system is short on consonants.
   172. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:01 PM (#5718635)
"a little money" is $9 per year for 3 years.

I'm including the Kela, too, who's headed to arbitration next year.
   173. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:05 PM (#5718639)
Pencils down.

I said PENCILS DOWN!
   174. Meatwad Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:11 PM (#5718641)
This year seems to be more active than in years past.
   175. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5718643)
The Brewers did apparently get Schoop....

That's... interesting.

I guess the overloading on OFs worked in the offseason, so now they'll overload on IF at the deadline.
   176. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:13 PM (#5718644)
Schoop to Brewers. Will he play SS? Are they going to have the worst IF defense in baseball (their OF defense is pretty good, IMO).
   177. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5718647)
apparently second thoughts on Shaw at 2B?
Makes 'em wanna Schoop.
   178. bfan Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:19 PM (#5718649)
You can't expect a small-market team like St Louis spend money on exercise equipment!

They didn't need another bow-flex.
   179. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:19 PM (#5718650)
The Dodgers also got Dozier done.

Pretty paltry return - Devin Smeltzer and Luke Raley, plus Logan Forsythe but no money changing hands.

Raley's got power, but he's allergic to walks.

I get that Dozier is just a rental, but in this case- I think the Twins would have been better served pocketing the pick.
   180. bfan Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:31 PM (#5718659)
I think the Twins would have been better served pocketing the pick.

so we are sure Dozier turns down $18 million for a year? I think he would take it and try and resurrect his value for the next year.
   181. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:32 PM (#5718660)
The Schoop trade is the final nail in the O's coffin for the next few years. I only hope they're getting some actual value in return.

EDIT: What I also don't like is the flow of Major League talent from the AL East to the NL: Machado, Schoop, Archer, Ramos, Gausman. At the rate this is happening, the Red Sox and Yanks should lose about 2 games apiece to the rest of the ALE for the rest of the entire season.
   182. bfan Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:34 PM (#5718661)
I am shocked the Pirates traded Meadows; I thought they moved McCutchen to make room for him. He hit well in a small period call-up; what is the problem?
   183. BDC Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:42 PM (#5718664)
And Adrian Beltre stays with Texas, for now.

Beltre's still batting .292, but his power has evaporated; he's riding a BAbip (.351) wave just to be as effective as he's been (96 OPS+). Add his problems staying healthy enough to start at third base, and I can see teams offering almost nothing for him down the stretch.

I would hope the Rangers can keep Beltre on the roster as a part-time DH/infielder for a couple of years. But when your favorite player is pushing 40 … whatever happens, you know you've got to start thinking about a new favorite player soon :(
   184. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5718669)
I am shocked the Pirates traded Meadows; I thought they moved McCutchen to make room for him. He hit well in a small period call-up; what is the problem?
They realized it's best to build around an African-American player with noteworthy hair?
   185. Master of the Horse Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5718671)
Most Defensive Runs Saved - Teams per SportsInfoSolutions as of July 30th
Brewers 98
Diamondbacks 95
Cubs 51
Braves 50
Yankees 42
   186. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5718673)
He hit well in a small period call-up; what is the problem?

He's had repeated hamstring injuries in Triple A, and only hit .250 at that level. Dickenson's been good this year, Marte and Polanco have been hot recently, so I guess they see the outfield as covered for now.
   187. bfan Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5718675)
He's had repeated hamstring injuries in Triple A, and only hit .250 at that level.

Gee whiz, he just turned 23. I would take him off the Rays' hands.
   188. Worrierking Posted: July 31, 2018 at 04:57 PM (#5718676)

As a Cardinals fan, I find it incomprehensible that they have never figured out the buy low/sell high logic. They also could use a refresher course on recency bias.
   189. bfan Posted: July 31, 2018 at 05:07 PM (#5718682)

As a Cardinals fan, I find it incomprehensible that they have never figured out the buy low/sell high logic.

There are so many things the Cardinals organization does well; I can forgive them for being weak in this one area.
   190. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 31, 2018 at 05:16 PM (#5718686)
Most Defensive Runs Saved - Teams per SportsInfoSolutions as of July 30th
Brewers 98
Diamondbacks 95
Cubs 51
Braves 50
Yankees 42

Right, and Shaw is better than Moose at 3b, Villar at 2b is most assuredly better than Shaw (or Schoop) there, and Arcia is better at SS than anyone else they have and I'm guessing (though correct me if they've already addressed this) he's going to be losing PT to someone (be it Schoop or Shaw if they get really crazy). So that's 3 positions that they've likely downgraded, potentially significantly for 2 for them, on defense - I'm not saying they're not better overall, but that IF defense could be really bad now.
   191. DCA Posted: July 31, 2018 at 05:26 PM (#5718692)
What's the best alignment for the Brewers? I'm tempted to say keep Shaw at 3B and Schoop at 2B. They are good there. Put Moose at SS and replace him with a glove if you have a late lead.
   192. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 05:32 PM (#5718697)
Is Arcia back up?

I suppose they're already punting offense at catcher, so maybe they don't want another lineup blackhole, but I'd probably just go with Arcia.
   193. Walt Davis Posted: July 31, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5718701)
I admit to not understanding what the Brewers are up to. I suppose Schoop could just be for depth. I figured maybe he killed LHP or something and they were setting up a Moose platoon but, nope, he's actually got a bit of a reverse split. With Aguilar and Thames around, it's not like Shaw/Moose are going to be shifting to 1B.

Archer to Pirates is about 2019-21 too and he's not expensive at all. Still, good return for the Rays. The Pham trade is a little weird ... could be an interesting arb situation there ... if he was concerned the Cards were cheapskates, he's entered a whole 'nother level of cheap. Maybe reminiscent of the Dodgers trading Sutcliffe to the purgatory of Cleveland after he blew up at LaSorda.
   194. Davo and his Moose Tacos Posted: July 31, 2018 at 05:58 PM (#5718703)
Moustakas at shortstop would be unfathomably bad. Like, so bad it isn’t even worth considering.
   195. phredbird Posted: July 31, 2018 at 06:00 PM (#5718705)

As a Cardinals fan, I find it incomprehensible that they have never figured out the buy low/sell high logic. They also could use a refresher course on recency bias.

the irony here is that, while the cards did not invent buy low/sell high, branch rickey practically perfected it when he was the GM.

sigh ... i shrugged when they passed on re-signing albert ... because i knew in my heart they were making a business decision. but it still bothered me a little. same thing here.

i am also bothered by the rumors of a bad relationship because of anything pham said earlier in the year. i always thought the organization was a little bit above letting that sort of thing affect their decisions. its not like he was disrupting the clubhouse.

this team is killing me this year, but i'm too old to think about going all in for the dodgers from now on. ugh.
   196. Howie Menckel Posted: July 31, 2018 at 06:29 PM (#5718711)
our 35th-year, NL-only fantasy league (I know, but just this once) allows for teams to bid on arrivals from AL each Wednesday (so most weeks, no one).

Tomorrow's crop:

New Dodgers RP John Axford, new Dodgers 2B Brian Dozier, new Pirates RP Keone Kela, new Phillies C Wilson Ramos, new Phillies RP Aaron Loup, new Braves SP Kevin Gausman, new Braves RP Darren O'Day, new Pirates SP Chris Archer, new Brewers 2B Jonathan Schoop, new Diamondbacks RP Jake Diekman, new Braves RP Brad Brach, new Cardinals RP Chasen Shreve, new Brewers 31 Mike Moustakas, new Diamondbacks 3S2 Eduardo Escobar, new Cubs SP Cole Hamels, new Braves RP Jonny Venters, new Diamondbacks P Matt Andriese, new Rockies RP Seungwhan Oh, and new Brewers RP Joakim Soria

lol
   197. cardsfanboy Posted: July 31, 2018 at 06:32 PM (#5718714)

I can't give the official reason or really any major insight, just a few observations.
1. Pham might not have the best reputation with the team after the SI article, regardless of the damage control that was done to fix it. (From the Cardinals viewpoint, they stuck with him when most other teams would have jettisoned him and gave him a real shot, from Pham's viewpoint that might be true, but then they put him on the backburner behind other players--Grichuk being the most obvious)

2. The Cardinals have a dearth of outfielders, and it wasn't likely that they could have done anything with Fowler or Ozuna playing the way they are now, and the reality is that Ozuna's upside is at least on par with Pham's and has a higher chance of being realized.

3. Add in that Pham isn't a particularly good centerfielder, and neither is Fowler or Ozuna, and you had three corner outfielders all warranting playing time because of either past performance or salary, and yet they were hurting you defensively, when your team is starting to move from ground ball strategy to more varied outcomes.

Mind you this also clears up space for Martinez to play some, although I don't know why people insist he should play poor outfield defense instead of poor infield defense, especially since he was starting to improve to just being below average. And O'Neil absolutely deserves a shot on the roster, if not this year, a legit shot in spring training next year.

I hate this deal personally, and I haven't even looked at who we got, simply because I just don't think you can trade someone like Pham away for prospect and have any chance of getting equal value back.
   198. Sleepy's not going to blame himself Posted: July 31, 2018 at 06:54 PM (#5718723)
I hate this deal personally, and I haven't even looked at who we got, simply because I just don't think you can trade someone like Pham away for prospect and have any chance of getting equal value back.
I feel very similar to the way I did when STL traded Ryan Ludwick. I had pulled for the guy for so long, and when he finally got a shot, he was great, and then they traded him for Jake Westbrook. Aaargh!

Then he went on to produce 0.4 WAR over the rest of his career. Westbrook wasn't much better, but the padres actually gave up Corey Kluber in that deal- but he went to the Indians. That would have worked out just fine.
   199. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: July 31, 2018 at 07:00 PM (#5718727)
New Dodgers RP John Axford, new Dodgers 2B Brian Dozier, new Pirates RP Keone Kela, new Phillies C Wilson Ramos, new Phillies RP Aaron Loup, new Braves SP Kevin Gausman, new Braves RP Darren O'Day, new Pirates SP Chris Archer, new Brewers 2B Jonathan Schoop, new Diamondbacks RP Jake Diekman, new Braves RP Brad Brach, new Cardinals RP Chasen Shreve, new Brewers 31 Mike Moustakas, new Diamondbacks 3S2 Eduardo Escobar, new Cubs SP Cole Hamels, new Braves RP Jonny Venters, new Diamondbacks P Matt Andriese, new Rockies RP Seungwhan Oh, and new Brewers RP Joakim Soria

Meh - we use a FAAB, too - and I think Escobar is far and away the max bid.

Unless you're chasing wins and fancy Hamels or Archer, I think Escobar is the clear high bid.... at least, that's what I'm doing.
   200. Sunday silence Posted: July 31, 2018 at 07:40 PM (#5718739)
The PIT move sort of bothers me but perhaps its the best way to shore up their biggest weakness starting pitching.

Why do teams and some primates like Archer? He looks to be on the downside by the numbers. There were several teams interested in him it seems. But he's cost controlled for the next 3 years as Walt says. He becomes the PIT second best SP even with cromulent numbers.

As for Meadows, I guess the PIT think they have more OF depth coming in the pipeline and Polanco is controlled till 2023, Dickerson has one more year so it looks like they can just continue to maintain a good OF. But getting rid of two promising young players (Glasnow + Meadows) seems odd for a team that is supposed to be rebuilding.

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.