Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

USA Today: Nationals manager Matt Williams was involved in a hit-and-run while live on a radio show

A Beltway driver executes the fundamentals.

Every Wednesday morning, Nationals manager Matt Williams calls into 106.7 the Fan, a popular Washington, D.C. sports radio station.

But this week, he had a bit of an incident while talking to the Sports Junkies (...)

Williams was talking when all of a sudden he calmly said: “Sorry guys, I just had an accident … I got a police officer behind me and this guy’s going to try to escape.”

Wait what?

“There was a police car behind me and a guy in a car and he tried to get by me and he just smoked me,” he added.

Williams is not the first sports figure to have issues while talking on the phone to 106.7 personalities. Clinton Portis got pulled over for speeding while on Fred Smoot’s show on the station earlier this year.

AndrewJ Posted: May 07, 2014 at 08:56 AM | 321 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: accident, matt williams, nationals, radio

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4
   301. McCoy Posted: May 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM (#4705825)
Flip
   302. CrosbyBird Posted: May 13, 2014 at 09:03 PM (#4706184)
It is 460 miles round trip from Manhattan to DC. My car gets about 25 mile to the gallon on a trip like this one so that is about 18.5 gallons. So that comes out to roughly 75 dollars in gas. Parking for two nights in DC is going to cost you roughly 60 dollars. There is roughly 45 dollars worth of tolls on the trip. Your car also depreciates at about 15 cents per mile and your maintenance costs (non gas) about 6 cents per mile so that comes to about 100 dollars in cost for the round trip. Total bill if you're driving would be roughly $280 as compared to about $500-$510 to fly and that amount is pretty close to the IRS standard deduction per mile. Then if you throw in the cost of a car payment and insurance you're looking at around 50 to 60 dollars for the weekend trip for that.

For one person. Add a second person and driving goes from a little cheaper to much cheaper.

Plus, if you're flying you've got to get to the airport. That's a $55 cab ride each way from Manhattan. I can spend around $11 each way to take the LIRR to Jamaica and the AirTrain to JFK because I don't work a regular schedule and can afford the extra time, plus I'm 10 blocks from Penn Station; most people would have a less pleasant mass transit trip to the airport.

I mean, I get it. I live in Manhattan and I don't own a car, and I won't get one until my cheapo garage spot becomes available in about three years or so. But a few times per year, it's a real pain not to have one. ZipCar or Enterprise car share is an option but not particularly cheap and also not dog-friendly.

That's another thing I didn't mention before but that's worth mentioning. Try getting somewhere with a 60-pound dog if you don't own a car. That's especially unpleasant.
   303. BDC Posted: May 13, 2014 at 09:20 PM (#4706192)
I agree on Philadelphia: a nice city for driving, and consequently not quite as great for walking as Boston or New York, as I learned when I was young in the Delaware Valley and had no car. The streets in Philadelphia have been wider and further apart from each other than other seaboard cities since it was first designed, deliberately.

Along those lines, because it's not nearly as big or busy, the center of Savannah, GA is beautiful both to walk and drive.
   304. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: May 14, 2014 at 12:06 AM (#4706299)
That's another thing I didn't mention before but that's worth mentioning. Try getting somewhere with a 60-pound dog if you don't own a car. That's especially unpleasant.

Just buy a doggy saddle and hop on. It may be a bit unorthodox, but you've got to show him who's boss.
   305. JE (Jason) Posted: May 14, 2014 at 03:11 AM (#4706371)
It's been a while since I went line-by-line through the EZ Pass monthly statement. How much are the Turnpike tolls from the Delaware Memorial Bridge to the Goethals Bridge (13) and Holland Tunnel (14)? In the interest of saving a few coins, I sometimes take I-295 until Exit 7 or 7A.
   306. BDC Posted: May 14, 2014 at 09:19 AM (#4706421)
sometimes take I-295 until Exit 7 or 7A

I always used to do that too, going to South Jersey, but less because of the savings than because the Turnpike in SJ isn't very good at connecting to roads anybody actually wants to be on; 295 has more exits and is way more convenient.
   307. McCoy Posted: May 14, 2014 at 09:31 AM (#4706425)
For one person. Add a second person and driving goes from a little cheaper to much cheaper

No for three people. If it was just for one person then flying to DC would be much cheaper than driving to DC.
   308. CrosbyBird Posted: May 14, 2014 at 02:22 PM (#4706715)
I just did the drive from DC to NY about a month ago. Half a tank of gas, and around $35 in tolls. It cost me around $120 to take the train down and then another $7 or so to take the metro to my friend's town. I'm pretty sure the car ride was cheaper.

But it shouldn't just be as expensive. Taking a car instead of a train should be two or three times as expensive, given the carbon footprint.
   309. McCoy Posted: May 14, 2014 at 02:27 PM (#4706720)
Half a tank of gas to go 460 miles? What are you driving a semi?
   310. JE (Jason) Posted: May 14, 2014 at 02:29 PM (#4706722)
Half a tank of gas to go 460 miles? What are you driving a semi?

He's only referencing the trip down. Think 230.
   311. McCoy Posted: May 14, 2014 at 02:44 PM (#4706744)
Doh. Anyway, on the highway 230 is about 2/3 to 3/4 a tank of gas for me.

So the tolls are a lot more expensive than I thought. By the way, I just looked up the cost of an Amtrak ticket for a weekend trip in the last week of September. $100 round trip.
   312. JE (Jason) Posted: May 14, 2014 at 02:51 PM (#4706757)
So the tolls are a lot more expensive than I thought. By the way, I just looked up the cost of an Amtrak ticket for a weekend trip in the last week of September. $100 round trip.

In the good ol' days, you didn't need to book a train ticket months in advance in order to get a decent fare.

BTW, another reason to take I-295 in lieu of the Turnpike is to avoid the construction-related traffic between Exits 6 (PA Turnpike) and 8A (Cranbury).
   313. McCoy Posted: May 14, 2014 at 03:04 PM (#4706771)
In the good ol' days, you didn't need to book a train ticket months in advance in order to get a decent fare.

A lot of that is because people are riding trains again. The earliest weekend I could find the cheap tickets for was for the weekend of June which you could get for 100 bucks you had to leave DC at the arse-crack of dawn.
   314. JE (Jason) Posted: May 14, 2014 at 03:10 PM (#4706781)
So the tolls are a lot more expensive than I thought.

Go on.
   315. CrosbyBird Posted: May 14, 2014 at 03:36 PM (#4706812)
The earliest weekend I could find the cheap tickets for was for the weekend of June which you could get for 100 bucks you had to leave DC at the arse-crack of dawn.

I didn't have the luxury of much advance notice. I could have saved $15 but I would have had to leave in the dark, either very early or very late.

The NY-DC trip is probably one of the less dramatic examples of a car-favoring trip, though. Lots of tolls, potentially serious traffic in NJ, and really good public transportation on both ends.
   316. Canker Soriano Posted: May 14, 2014 at 04:16 PM (#4706837)
I could have saved $15 but I would have had to leave in the dark, either very early or very late.

I've started to love driving in the dark, especially for long trips. SF to Reno is about 225 miles - you can do it in under 3 hours if there's no one around to clog up traffic getting out of the city or coming through Sacramento.

(And if you wait and leave at about 3 PM on a Friday, it's around a 6 hour trip.)
   317. McCoy Posted: May 14, 2014 at 04:23 PM (#4706844)
The NY-DC trip is probably one of the less dramatic examples of a car-favoring trip, though. Lots of tolls, potentially serious traffic in NJ, and really good public transportation on both ends.

Well, outside of the NE corridor train travel isn't all that appealing or great of an option. I mean the midwest has an extensive highway system with most of the cities being spread out to a point where it either makes sense to fly or to drive.

You don't want to take the train from NYC to Chicago nor is there much reason to take the train from Milwaukee to St. Louis.
   318. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: May 14, 2014 at 05:12 PM (#4706908)
Hiawatha Line (Amtrak) between MKE and Chicago makes sense, but little else in the midwest via train does.

Indy to Chicago (about 180 miles) is 5 hours in total on a train. I can drive to Milwaukee from Indy (270 miles) in just under 4 hours in most of my trips betweeen the two cities.

If you really need rides between those places sans car, Megabus is much better.
   319. CrosbyBird Posted: May 14, 2014 at 05:37 PM (#4706928)
I've started to love driving in the dark, especially for long trips.

Me too. It's not uncommon for me to set out on the road after 10pm. The lack of traffic is a huge plus.
   320. BDC Posted: May 14, 2014 at 05:56 PM (#4706938)
Ft Worth - Austin is a little over 4 hours by train and costs $35 – for some purposes, that's a pretty good deal. Most of the time it's more convenient to drive. From Dallas it's much better to drive because the train goes Dallas- Ft Worth - Austin, losing as much as two hours off the direct trip. Train travel in Texas is not ideal, largely because you generally need to get to the station and around your destination by car. Austin has the best public transit, though, unsurprisingly.
   321. Canker Soriano Posted: May 14, 2014 at 06:41 PM (#4706960)
You don't want to take the train from NYC to Chicago nor is there much reason to take the train from Milwaukee to St. Louis.

I've taken the train from NYC to Chicago. It was slow - probably close to 50% more time than it would have taken just to jump on the interstate and go. It's about 18 hours assuming the train runs on time (and it's an overnight trip - you leave in the afternoon and arrive the next AM). The car trip would be about 11 hours, depending on traffic.

On the plus side, I read, watched a couple of movies, played some cards, and got 4-5 hours of sleep - none of which I could have done behind the wheel. But I was in no real hurry, so the lost 8-9 hours didn't matter a lot. (Also - no stuff to go with me, no kids, no pets, all of which would make a car make more sense.)
Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis on Acid
for his generous support.