Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Vin Scully to return to Dodgers’ broadcast booth in 2013

Vin: Royale with cheese.

Scully, 84, said he is energized by the team’s new ownership group and will return for his 64th season as the voice of the Dodgers. For just the second time in his 63 years of calling games, Scully missed the team’s home-opener this season due to an undisclosed illness.

“The new ownership of the Dodgers has revitalized the city, the team, the fans and myself,” Scully said in the team’s statement. “I am so convinced of their great purpose and leadership that I eagerly look forward to joining them in pursuit of the next Dodgers championship.”

In a press conference later in the day, Scully said he has no idea how much longer he’ll be calling Dodgers games.

“I don’t know. That’s in God’s hands. It’s certainly not in my hands,” Scully said (via the Los Angeles Daily News). When I say day to day, I firmly and truly believe that. I thank Him for every day. I know my mom thanked Him for every day that she had ... She was inspirational. I do feel that one of the things that I’m fortunate to have, would be to have her genes. Does that mean I’ll live to be 97? I doubt that very much. Our lives have been totally different. But anyway, we’ll give it a shot. I’m not even thinking of doing the games when I’m 97.”

Repoz Posted: August 26, 2012 at 04:29 PM | 26 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dodgers

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Walt Davis Posted: August 26, 2012 at 05:31 PM (#4218702)
Where he'll be joined by Jerry Remy and a BTBNL.
   2. Good cripple hitter Posted: August 26, 2012 at 05:51 PM (#4218715)
I’m not even thinking of doing the games when I’m 97.

That's blinkin' fertilizer.

The Dodgers are the only team I watch just based on commentator. I don't care who they're playing, who's pitching, what the score is, when the Dodgers are on TV in Canada I'll watch just to have an opportunity to listen to Vin call a game. I'm glad to have another season with him, I'll miss him a lot when he's gone.
   3. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 26, 2012 at 06:09 PM (#4218722)
Great thing about Vin is, he's given almost nothing to age. A couple of years ago, he was noticeably slipping but he pulled out of it and is good as ever. It's amazing.
   4. DL from MN Posted: August 26, 2012 at 06:28 PM (#4218731)
I think a virtual Vin Scully should be on the top of the AI researcher's list. Feed in the past 50 years of his broadcasts and see if you can come up with an app that will call games based on the game feed and insert all the stories he's ever told.
   5. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: August 26, 2012 at 06:38 PM (#4218737)
I'd buy that app in a heartbeat! (How about an Ernie Harwell version, while we're at it?)
   6. charityslave is thinking about baseball Posted: August 26, 2012 at 07:38 PM (#4218758)
If the blockbuster Dodgers-Red Sox trade accomplishes nothing else, it will have been a success.
   7. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: August 26, 2012 at 08:12 PM (#4218766)
While the umpires worked through that interference call in today's game, Scully said, "When you get yourself into a bowl of spaghetti like this, it's best to just sit back and let it sort itself out."

I endorse this announcement.
   8. The Long Arm of Rudy Law Posted: August 26, 2012 at 09:26 PM (#4218809)
I like rain delays or when it's a 14-2 game and Scully just starts telling stories. There's always a line like "And then Jackie says to Gil.." or "If you're like me, you grew up a fan of Mel Ott and the New York Giants."
   9. phredbird Posted: August 26, 2012 at 09:27 PM (#4218810)
I think a virtual Vin Scully should be on the top of the AI researcher's list. Feed in the past 50 years of his broadcasts and see if you can come up with an app that will call games based on the game feed and insert all the stories he's ever told.

that ... that is ... sheer genius.
   10. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 26, 2012 at 09:30 PM (#4218812)
While the umpires worked through that interference call in today's game, Scully said, "When you get yourself into a bowl of spaghetti like this, it's best to just sit back and let it sort itself out."
That's fantastic. He's a very cool cat.
   11. phredbird Posted: August 26, 2012 at 09:31 PM (#4218814)
"If you're like me, you grew up a fan of Mel Ott and the New York Giants."

i can remember my elders talking about mel ott when i was a kid. he still has living relatives in new orleans, i think. he's originally from gretna, just down the road from my family's hometown of marrero, louisiana. he is buried in metairie cemetery. i used to drive past his tomb every day on the way to work.
   12. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: August 26, 2012 at 09:33 PM (#4218817)
There's always a line like "And then Jackie says to Gil.." or "If you're like me, you grew up a fan of Mel Ott and the New York Giants."
I liked his story about ice skating with Jackie and a very pregnant Mrs. Robinson.

Or one he told about Tommy giving a paint-peeling motivational speech during a lost season (1986) and by Jerry Reuss deflating it by humming "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."
   13. charityslave is thinking about baseball Posted: August 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM (#4218850)
He is buried in metairie cemetery. i used to drive past his tomb every day on the way to work.

I live in Lafayeete and often travel to N'awlins for get-a-ways with my wife. I'm gonna make a pilgrimage to the gravesite.
   14. Bob Meta-Meusel Posted: August 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM (#4218858)
My grandfather was a Giant fan growing up in NYC in the '20s & '30s, and Mel Ott was his favorite player.
   15. Pat Rapper's Delight Posted: August 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM (#4218864)
I live in Lafayeete and often travel to N'awlins for get-a-ways with my wife. I'm gonna make a pilgrimage to the gravesite.

I need to do the same with Ted Lyons's grave site near Vinton some time when I head back to visit my family in Lake Charles.
   16. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: August 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM (#4218885)
I seem to recall that Vin has no interest in an autobiography and was rather uncooperative with Curt Smith in his book on Scully (haven't read it, was told it was awful). Anybody know of anyone with plans for one?

re: baseball figures, I'd love to read one about Vin Scully and probably Greg Maddux more than any other recent figures in the game.
   17. Rob_Wood Posted: August 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM (#4218896)
He grew up a fan of Mel Ott. Either he is old or he is some baseball historian.

I kid because I love. Listening to Vin is one of my guilty pleasures (being a lifelong Giants fan).
   18. God Posted: August 27, 2012 at 01:36 AM (#4218913)
   19. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: August 27, 2012 at 01:37 AM (#4218914)
Listening to Vin Scully is therapeutic.

In 1992 I was running a satellite uplink truck for off-track betting in Maryland. It was exceedingly boring so I got to watch whatever was on the other satellite channels. I tuned in to the start of a Dodgers game while they were setting up his mic and other preparations before they went live on the broadcast channels, so you would never have seen this.

Somebody complimented Vin on his tie and just as genuine as can be he engaged them in friendly banter, "Do you like this tie? I got it in a little shop in Brooklyn..." He seems like the kind of humble guy who would be perfectly at ease talking about anything in a bar over a beer. That's a trait that's sadly lacking in most media personalities these days.
   20. God Posted: August 27, 2012 at 01:44 AM (#4218915)
He almost certainly still wears that tie as I don't think his wardrobe has changed since 1972.
   21. God Posted: August 27, 2012 at 01:53 AM (#4218918)
I always liked this song Dan Bern wrote about him. How many songs contain an accurate word-for-word mimicking of a historic baseball broadcast?
   22. Dan Posted: August 27, 2012 at 04:20 AM (#4218937)
I seem to recall that Vin has no interest in an autobiography and was rather uncooperative with Curt Smith in his book on Scully (haven't read it, was told it was awful). Anybody know of anyone with plans for one?

I really doubt he'd ever take part in a serious autobiography. The best thing about Vin Scully is he knows that it's about the baseball and the players, and not about him. It's the exact antithesis of self-important narcissistic clowns that inhabit the modern broadcast booth like Remsillo and Joe Buck.
   23. AndrewJ Posted: August 27, 2012 at 07:42 AM (#4218963)
The Curt Smith book about him was pitiful. Scully deserves a bio written by someone like Roger Kahn (or, were he still alive, Jim Murray).
   24. phredbird Posted: August 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM (#4219031)

where is Lafayeete? :)

anyway, if you go there, go to the metairie cemetery office and ask for directions to ott's tomb. the tomb is a very impressive grey stone edifice, with an angel at the door if i remember correctly, nicely shaded by oak trees. once you know where it is, you can see that its visible from the highway when you drive by. i always would make sure i got a quick look at it whenever i drove by.

He grew up a fan of Mel Ott. Either he is old or he is some baseball historian.

both, i would guess. ott debuted in 1926, but he played until 1947. scully is 84, so he would definitely have been old enough to go to games that ott played in.

ott's story is kind of sad. he had a great career as a player that didn't end well -- he managed the giants through ww2, mostly as player/manager, and the giants weren't any good--he really wasn't a natural manager, though i don't recall reading that the players hated him. the giants just didn't have any pitching and the owners (stoneham) didn't seem to know what to do. ott and his team was what durocher was referring to when he made the comments about nice guys finishing last. once out of baseball, he became a broadcaster, i believe it was for the detroit tigers. that was going well for him. in november 1958 he was back in new orleans on a visit (i think he lived in NY by then). one night he went out to dinner at some restaurant on the outskirts of town. it was a foggy night, and after dinner when he and his wife pulled out of the parking lot onto the highway he didn't see an oncoming car that hit them broadside. he sustained very bad injuries including both legs broken. his wife was banged up bad too. he died a couple of days later. he was only 49.

edit: i have other sources that say the accident was head on.
   25. God Posted: August 27, 2012 at 08:01 PM (#4219622)
What are the odds Ott was sober at the time? If he hadn't been, that fact would surely have been quietly covered up in those days.
   26. phredbird Posted: August 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM (#4221070)
What are the odds Ott was sober at the time? If he hadn't been, that fact would surely have been quietly covered up in those days.

it's possible, i'll admit. But: he was not known at all as a drinker or party type player, which would almost certainly be known, esp. since he played in NY. also, reports about the accident had the other driver at fault, he apparently crossed the center line. the accident was on a two-lane highway. if you know anything about louisiana in those days it was before the interstate was built there and most highways were the proverbial two-lane blacktop.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Chicago Joe
for his generous support.