Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

WaPo: The Nats react to Roger Bernadina’s game-ending catch

Instead BEING the seasonal catch, “The Shark” makes the catch of the season:

By now, you’ve no doubt seen Roger Bernadina’s absurd 12th inning catch from Tuesday night, a catch that clinched the Nats’ fourth straight win, sent them 24 games over .500 for the first time, and sparked a wave of amazement.

“HE MADE THE CATCH! HE DID IT!” Dave Jageler Charlie Slowes said.

“I’ve never seen anything like that in my life,” F.P. Santangelo said.

“You’ve just seen the greatest catch in Roger Bernadina’s career, and maybe — maybe — the best outfield play in the young history of this ballclub,” Bob Carpenter said.

“Arguably the best game-ending catch you will see this year,” Buster Olney tweeted.

“That’s why otherwise sensible people (on vacation) stay up after midnight to watch pennant race baseball,” Boz tweeted.

“MY F*****G BLOOD PRESSURE!” one Nat said in the clubhouse after the game.

Esoteric Posted: August 08, 2012 at 11:00 AM | 109 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: astros, houston, nationals, shaaaaaaaaaark, washington

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. The District Attorney Posted: August 08, 2012 at 10:02 PM (#4203900)
Call me when an outfielder channels a jester.
That's a clown post, bro.
   102. jack the seal clubber (on the sidelines of life) Posted: August 09, 2012 at 12:03 AM (#4203984)
Make that 25 games above 500.

The local sports talk shows here, as referred to earlier, are incredibly bad. We have 106.7 with four infantile fortysomethings obsessing on women they will never get; the most obnoxious, talentless, blowhard jackass in media history (Mike Wise) turning his show into a filibuster against the nickname of the football team; and the staggering incompetence of Lavar Arrington, who doesn't even have anything of note to add about football, forget about their ignorance of what is a pretty damn good baseball team in town. Arrington's idea of entertainment is to sing off key for ten minutes at a time while his co-host is afraid to interrupt him..

Right now Rizzo's non moves are looking pretty good;Detwiler should be able to hold the fort down, and with Werth, Morse and Zim firing, this could be a WS team. It will be interesting to see if they are still talking Skins when they are 1-4 and the Nationals are in the postseason..
   103. Esoteric Posted: August 09, 2012 at 12:18 AM (#4203992)
Right now Rizzo's non moves are looking pretty good;Detwiler should be able to hold the fort down, and with Werth, Morse and Zim firing, this could be a WS team.
Speaking of Rizzo's non-moves, his refusal to deal John Lannan for lottery-ticket prospects after demoting him to AAA at the beginning of the season (making him one the highest paid minor-leaguer in baseball, especially given the fact that he would make the rotation of nearly every other team in either league) is looking quite brilliant at this point. Not only has Lannan come up twice and given the team gutsy wins when they desperately needed them, he's a marvelous insurance policy for Strasburg's eventual shutdown.
   104. jack the seal clubber (on the sidelines of life) Posted: August 09, 2012 at 12:25 AM (#4203996)
absolutely, Eso; Lannan is a total pro for accepting his role.
   105. TerpNats Posted: August 09, 2012 at 01:20 AM (#4204020)
Steinberg just wrote a piece in the Post about how Nats fans are dreaming of games past Oct. 3.
   106. McCoy Posted: August 09, 2012 at 01:26 AM (#4204023)
Not only has Lannan come up twice and given the team gutsy wins when they desperately needed them, he's a marvelous insurance policy for Strasburg's eventual shutdown.

Which is why he wasn't traded before the season. The thing is he absolutely sucked in the minors so far this year. If he hadn't sucked so bad Rizzo might have been able to trade him for something useful for more than 10 starts.
   107. McCoy Posted: August 09, 2012 at 01:27 AM (#4204024)
Right now Rizzo's non moves are looking pretty good;Detwiler should be able to hold the fort down, and with Werth, Morse and Zim firing, this could be a WS team.

Everybody looks great when they play the Astros.
   108. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: August 09, 2012 at 01:50 AM (#4204029)
Bernadina jumps into the wall at full speed. All y'all is crazy, great catch.

Sorry, I just finally watched the thing. He covers a LOT of ground.
But then, it looks like he had room and did not have to jump at all. I think he misjudged the fence slightly.
   109. Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon Posted: August 09, 2012 at 08:23 AM (#4204083)
Everybody looks great when they play the Astros.

Ironically, the Nats haven't looked all that great in this series. But I'll be more than happy to take an ugly, poorly played four game sweep if we can get it.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.