Stephen Strasburg will make two more starts, his final one on Sept. 12 in New York against the New York Mets, before he is shut down for the season, Nationals Manager Davey Johnson said following the right-hander’s start on Sunday. ...
“We had our parameters in place at the beginning of the season, we had our philosophies and our protocols,” Nationals General Manager Mike Rizzo said following Sunday’s game, without giving a specific limit. “That seems like the right number of innings to end his season.”
Strasburg offered a muted reaction to the announcement, possibly a little shaken by the news. ”I’m
just focused on the next start,” he said. “That’s all I can really focus on right now. But we’re going to have to have a sit down and talk here soon. ...
Added Johnson: “We’ve faced adversity all year long. We didn’t have our cleanup hitter, we didn’t have our closer. We lost our starting catcher, we lost Jayson Werth for two months. That’s just the way this year’s been. … We’ve been through it. We had Jordan Zimmermann shut down, and last year at this time he was throwing as good arguably as anyone on the staff. We survived.”
Posted: September 02, 2012 at 08:51 PM | 1 comment(s)
Login to Bookmark