Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

WBC Update (11-6-2012)

David Ortiz might skip the WBC due to his injury last season, which is a bummer.

Cuba’s national team is in Taiwan for a series that will act as a warm-up for Taipei ahead of the qualifiers and a chance for Cuba to test out possible line-ups for next year’s main event.

New Zealand hasn’t done well against Australian competition as warm-ups for the qualifiers.

The Samurai Japan roster for a series against Cuba is set, but lots of doubts about what MLBers might take part next year. After all, Ichiro is a free agent, the Rangers might be trying to get Darvish to skip and there is also the question of whether some NPB players will want to make the jump to MLB, in which case they’d almost certainly miss the WBC so that they are able to get roster spots out of camp.

Panama has released a preliminary roster.

The Filipinos have invited Tim Lincecum. Okay, it’s a long-shot, but what does the Philippines have to lose?

” cols=“100” rows=“20”>

Some WBC news from recently. Remember you may need to EXPAND to see everything.

David Ortiz might skip the WBC due to his injury last season, which is a bummer.

Cuba’s national team is in Taiwan for a series that will act as a warm-up for Taipei ahead of the qualifiers and a chance for Cuba to test out possible line-ups for next year’s main event.

New Zealand hasn’t done well against Australian competition as warm-ups for the qualifiers.

The Samurai Japan roster for a series against Cuba is set, but lots of doubts about what MLBers might take part next year. After all, Ichiro is a free agent, the Rangers might be trying to get Darvish to skip and there is also the question of whether some NPB players will want to make the jump to MLB, in which case they’d almost certainly miss the WBC so that they are able to get roster spots out of camp.

Panama has released a preliminary roster.

The Filipinos have invited Tim Lincecum. Okay, it’s a long-shot, but what does the Philippines have to lose?

Gamingboy Posted: November 06, 2012 at 01:01 PM | 5 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: international, wbc, world baseball classic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 06, 2012 at 05:42 PM (#4295017)
I can't imagine Ichiro skipping the WBC. My gut feeling is that he'll sign with a team far enough in advance that he'll participate.
   2. Jarrod HypnerotomachiaPoliphili(Teddy F. Ballgame) Posted: November 06, 2012 at 05:55 PM (#4295044)
Even if he stepped away from MLB entirely, I'd think he'd want to participate in the WBC as a swan song. I've never seen him more fired up on a baseball field (or anywhere) than during the last tournament.
   3. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 06, 2012 at 06:37 PM (#4295098)
I've never seen him more fired up on a baseball field (or anywhere) than during the last tournament.

Agreed. And he got the game winning hit in extra innings of the championship game.
   4. dr. scott Posted: November 06, 2012 at 06:43 PM (#4295101)
Does anyone know when tickets will go on sale for the semis and finals at AT&T? If i cant see the world series at AT&T... Ill see the WBC.
   5. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: November 06, 2012 at 06:53 PM (#4295116)
I'm on my way to Manila now. I wonder if i could catch a practice or something.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JPWF13
for his generous support.