Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Winter Meetings Day 4 CHATTER

Last call in Nashville!

Gamingboy Posted: December 06, 2012 at 12:32 AM | 137 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: rumors, transactions, winter meetings

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Craig in MN Posted: December 06, 2012 at 03:39 PM (#4318893)
Mauer has a no-trade clause and has says he doesn't want to be traded and he wants to be a catcher. Also, he's basically the only big contract the Twins have after this year, so there's no real need to trade him.

Morneau is available.
   102. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: December 06, 2012 at 03:47 PM (#4318901)
*Cough* Wieters *Cough*

Yeah, but they have a gaping hole at 1b. (Although he doesn't want to be traded or play 1b I guess this is a nonstarter.)
   103. Gamingboy Posted: December 06, 2012 at 03:49 PM (#4318906)

*Cough* Wieters *Cough*

Yeah, but they have a gaping hole at 1b. (Although he doesn't want to be traded or play 1b I guess this is a nonstarter.)

Exactly. I wouldn't be shocked if Morneau went to the Orioles sometime though. It was rumored earlier in the meetings.
   104. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: December 06, 2012 at 03:53 PM (#4318910)
I wouldn't mind morneau, but he has almost negative value at this point. Why even bother trading him if you're the twins?
   105. Famous Original Joe C Posted: December 06, 2012 at 03:56 PM (#4318914)

That's a really random move.

What's random about it? Career .92 WHIP and 8/1 K/BB ratio. Awesome.
   106. Bitter Mouse Posted: December 06, 2012 at 03:59 PM (#4318916)
I wouldn't mind morneau, but he has almost negative value at this point. Why even bother trading him if you're the twins?

Clear out space, save money and there is a surplus in the minors of 1b/OF types, plus the need to continue to stock the farm so we have players when baseball begins again in 2014.

What do you mean there is a 2013 season? Really?
   107. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: December 06, 2012 at 04:00 PM (#4318920)
Hopefully Tyler Cloyd can put up a Vance Worleyish performance.

Tyler Cloyd's UPSIDE is Kyle Kendrick Lite. You stash him at AAA and hope your starters stay healthy. He's gutty but has 0 stuff.
   108. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 06, 2012 at 04:04 PM (#4318923)
What's random about it?

They just lost the first overall pick in the R5 draft because they couldn't spare a roster spot for him, and then they go out and sign a veteran bullpen arm?
   109. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: December 06, 2012 at 04:07 PM (#4318930)
a really good veteran bullpen arm
   110. valuearbitrageur Posted: December 06, 2012 at 04:15 PM (#4318934)
My co-worker is 8.75 months pregnant with twins. She is from Minnesota and Ben Revere is her favorite player. I've met few fans who adore a player as much as she does him

Revere may not have much power, but sounds like he doubled in his only AB with your co-worker;)
   111. TomH Posted: December 06, 2012 at 04:17 PM (#4318937)
"Who plays CF for the Twins now?"
"My brother Darin."

If their LF your other brother Darin?
   112. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: December 06, 2012 at 04:30 PM (#4318948)
Oh, the teaser for the new Star Trek movie is out. Excuse me, my baseball geekery is not enough.
Rule V discussions aren't geeky enough for you? :)

Is it just me, or is Chris Pine the weak link in the Star Trek reboot?

I was prepared to loathe the new Spock, but Quinto did a very nice job. The guy who plays McCoy isn't doing much more than an impersonation of DeForest Kelley, but it's a damned good impersonation. Simon Pegg does fine as Scotty, and Sulu and Chekhov faded into the background as they tended to do in the original. Oh, and making Uhura a more significant character was a smart move, as was bringing Nimoy back. The plot was a bit of a mess, but it opened and ended well.

Pine grates, however.

113. zonk Posted: December 06, 2012 at 05:14 PM (#4319005)

I was prepared to loathe the new Spock, but Quinto did a very nice job. The guy who plays McCoy isn't doing much more than an impersonation of DeForest Kelley, but it's a damned good impersonation. Simon Pegg does fine as Scotty, and Sulu and Chekhov faded into the background as they tended to do in the original. Oh, and making Uhura a more significant character was a smart move, as was bringing Nimoy back. The plot was a bit of a mess, but it opened and ended well.

Pine grates, however.

In fairness, though -- doesn't Shatner, too?

...but then, as Lassus would no doubt point out in any minute - I'm a Janeway fan, so what do I know.
   114. Gamingboy Posted: December 06, 2012 at 05:41 PM (#4319053)
Apparently, the Mariners are talking a 3-year deal with Hamilton.

Also, there were many thing wrong with Voyager, but Janeway wasn't one of them- Kate Mulgrew did a good job.
   115. Gamingboy Posted: December 06, 2012 at 05:54 PM (#4319072)
Michael Young rejects trade to Philly.

Or not. MLB Network says it might be erroneous.
   116. Dan Posted: December 06, 2012 at 05:57 PM (#4319079)
If the Mariners are able to sign Hamilton with just a three year commitment then the Red Sox shouldn't have gone with Victorino.
   117. Bourbon Samurai Posted: December 06, 2012 at 05:59 PM (#4319082)

I actually think he does an excellent job. The other characters are fairly close to their originals- as of the first movie, nothing has changed for them.

But Pine's Kirk has been raised without a father in the middle of nowhere, rather than living on different colonies with the strong influence of his father. So Pine is playing Kirk with all of the arrogance and genius but without the discipline and temper that Shatner's Kirk had. So it makes sense to me that he is more flamboyant and obnoxious, etc.
   118. Bourbon Samurai Posted: December 06, 2012 at 06:00 PM (#4319086)

whaaaat. 3years and eleventy billion dollars I assume?
   119. Gamingboy Posted: December 06, 2012 at 06:08 PM (#4319095)

But Pine's Kirk has been raised without a father in the middle of nowhere, rather than living on different colonies with the strong influence of his father. So Pine is playing Kirk with all of the arrogance and genius but without the discipline and temper that Shatner's Kirk had. So it makes sense to me that he is more flamboyant and obnoxious, etc.

And if you notice, near the end of the first film, Pine's Kirk offers to rescue Nero from the wormhole. That's something that Shatner's Kirk would have done. Shatner's Kirk always had a high respect for his opponents, and while he would often fight dirty when he had to, he wasn't bloodthirsty, and would only resort to deadly force if it was the only option available.

In other words, Pine's Kirk slowly becomes something closer to Shatner's Kirk.
   120. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: December 06, 2012 at 06:09 PM (#4319096)

But is Hamilton listening?

Seriously, if Hamilton signs a three year deal a LOT of teams screwed the pooch.
   121. karlmagnus Posted: December 06, 2012 at 07:10 PM (#4319134)
If Hamilton was available on a 3-4 year commitment it was criminally incompetent of the Sox not to sign him.
   122. Lassus Posted: December 06, 2012 at 07:42 PM (#4319142)
...but then, as Lassus would no doubt point out in any minute - I'm a Janeway fan, so what do I know.

I'm glad we've reached an understanding. Sort of. Janeway was ok, the show sucked.

And if you notice, near the end of the first film, Pine's Kirk offers to rescue Nero from the wormhole. That's something that Shatner's Kirk would have done.

I REALLY don't want to hijack this awesome thread, so I apologize; but this is where the movie's biggest character failure - or, I suppose, as it's an alternate universe, change, depending on your point of view - actually happens. After Nero refuses, Shatner's/Roddenberry's Kirk would have saved him anyhow. To be a humanitarian AND a dick, both.
   123. Lassus Posted: December 06, 2012 at 07:49 PM (#4319145)
To return to baseball, I've been imagining high-end players ending up on the Mets, like Mauer and Tulowitski and Hamilton. It's rather fun.
   124. Greg K Posted: December 06, 2012 at 07:55 PM (#4319147)
I just saw the trailer as well (I didn't even realize it was coming out in 2013). What's remarkable to me is that Benedict Cumberbatch is playing the villain. It's going to be pretty weird reconciling Patrick Watts from Starter for 10 with a Star Trek villain.
   125. Lassus Posted: December 06, 2012 at 08:01 PM (#4319148)
WAIT A TRAILER WHAT
   126. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 06, 2012 at 08:05 PM (#4319151)
It's going to be pretty weird reconciling Patrick Watts from Starter for 10 with a Star Trek villain.

For the 99% of us who've never heard of Starter for 10, it'll be easy to reconcile the villain from Atonement, the villain from The Hobbit, and the strange emotionless lead character of Sherlock with a Star Trek villain.
   127. JJ1986 Posted: December 06, 2012 at 08:09 PM (#4319152)
For me, he is the oldest kid from Fortysomething.
   128. Greg K Posted: December 06, 2012 at 08:12 PM (#4319153)
For the 99% of us who've never heard of Starter for 10, it'll be easy to reconcile the villain from Atonement, the villain from The Hobbit, and the strange emotionless lead character of Sherlock with a Star Trek villain.

I'd actually forgotten he was in Atonement!

As for Starter for 10, let's just say that's a 1% I feel lucky to be included in. Terrific film!
   129. user Posted: December 06, 2012 at 08:12 PM (#4319154)
Starter for 10

This any good? How prominent are the Uni challenge bits?
   130. Greg K Posted: December 06, 2012 at 08:13 PM (#4319155)
For me, he is the oldest kid from Fortysomething.

Yes!
Man, I loved that show. He's sure gotten around, though it seems like he's enjoying a bit of a breakout at the moment.
   131. Greg K Posted: December 06, 2012 at 08:16 PM (#4319159)
This any good? How prominent are the Uni challenge bits?

It's actually one of my favourite movies (ie, I'm over-rating it wildly).

I read the book a year or so ago, and the University Challenge elements are roughly similar. The movie is built around his joining the team, and the last 15-20 minutes or so is the big televized match.
   132. Gamingboy Posted: December 06, 2012 at 08:24 PM (#4319160)
After Nero refuses, Shatner's/Roddenberry's Kirk would have saved him anyhow. To be a humanitarian AND a dick, both.

Point taken. Still, it seems like he's on the right path. You could sort of see Pine-Kirk one day becoming that man, perhaps after realizing that the families of those who perished at Nero's hand were never able to get the closure of seeing him tried and punished in a court of law.

Also, one of the complaints about the new trailer- and the past movie- is that there isn't much exploring. It's funny, because the Trek movies never really have been about exploring. I think Picard even made a joke about it in one of the TNG movies about how they should be exploring.
   133. user Posted: December 06, 2012 at 08:32 PM (#4319161)
It's actually one of my favourite movies (ie, I'm over-rating it wildly).

I read the book a year or so ago, and the University Challenge elements are roughly similar. The movie is built around his joining the team, and the last 15-20 minutes or so is the big televized match.

Might have to see how it matches to my experience then. Though it's set in Bamber Gascoigne's era rather than Paxmans I believe?
   134. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: December 06, 2012 at 10:14 PM (#4319190)
In fairness, though -- doesn't Shatner, too?
Now I'm worried about you. Shatner grates everywhere except Star Trek; Captain of the Enterprise was the one role he was born to play.

Hey, who am I to speak ill of a man who likes gravel-voiced, square-jawed women who never smile?

Wait--you're telling me that the rebooted Star Trek was meant to take place in a parallel universe where Kirk's father is killed instead of leading a normal life in Iowa? I don't think that ever registered with me. I somehow retained from my childhood that Kirk had been born in Iowa, which wouldn't have been possible in the reboot, since whether the Romulan baddie showed or not, Kirk's parents were in far space at the time of his birth. I assumed that the reboot just completely rewrote the origin for the hell of it, not that a parallel universe was created specifically as the result of Romulan messing. Or am I simply more confused than even I think I am?

Shatner's Kirk always had a high respect for his opponents, and while he would often fight dirty when he had to, he wasn't bloodthirsty, and would only resort to deadly force if it was the only option available.

Wait! By the time the original films ended Kirk was more than ready to consign the entire Klingon race to the dustbin of history. He was also more than happy to see Khan join molecules with the great beyond. In any case, Shatner-Kirk would not have offered to save a villain who had just obliterated all of Vulcan. I just can't credit that. Respect a reasonably honorable foe like the Gorn captain, and not put a stone knife through his unconscious throat? Sure. But respect one of future history's great genocidal monsters? It can't be.
   135. Gamingboy Posted: December 06, 2012 at 10:30 PM (#4319194)
By the time the original films ended Kirk was more than ready to consign the entire Klingon race to the dustbin of history

That's different: The murdering Klingon bastards killed his son.
   136. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: December 06, 2012 at 10:55 PM (#4319207)

That's different: The murdering Klingon bastards killed his son.
Kinda my point. The murdering Romulan bastards wiped out all of Vulcan. That's got to be worth one son on the universal rage scale.

Hey, I have no idea if it's any good, but apparently some fans with the assistance of a number of actors in the various series put together a film of some kind called Star Trek: Of Gods and Men. No idea what it's quality is or if everyone already knows about it. I just found it as I was poking around as a result of some posts in this thread. Apparently they snagged some sets from one of the series and off they went.
   137. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 07, 2012 at 12:36 AM (#4319233)
So Alfonso Soriano is still available?
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.