Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Without deviation from the norm, OMNICHATTER is not possible, for June 14, 2018

Scoreboards for the Major Leagues and all minor leagues,
courtesy of Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee).

Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 14, 2018 at 12:14 PM | 87 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 01:30 PM (#5692172)
McCutchen is quietly having a nice year in SF. The defense is at least average in RF, and he's got a 122 wRC+.

Longoria, not so much. His bat hasn't recovered at all, and the stats have his D ranging from below average to awful.
   2. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 01:42 PM (#5692183)
I love Cutch. Hope he gets to play out his career with a chance to win something.
   3. Nasty Nate Posted: June 14, 2018 at 02:38 PM (#5692253)
All of the other pitchers on my slow-pitch softball team will not be in attendance, so it looks like yours truly will be pulling the ole Wilbur Wood in tonight's twin bill.

(putting the Omni in Omnichatter here...)
   4. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: June 14, 2018 at 02:49 PM (#5692262)
The Phillies plan to win despite none of their many vaunted young hitters hitting well has hit a snag, as Nick Pivetta's ERA is over 8 in his last 5 starts. I thought I'd be happy to see the Phillies in 3rd place and slightly over .500 in June, but not when the Braves are pulling away in first. #### the Braves.

Oh, and Vince Velasquez has a no-hitter after 6. 85 pitches and a 2-run lead so he might not go the distance.
   5. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 14, 2018 at 03:04 PM (#5692272)
. . . so it looks like yours truly will be pulling the ole Wilbur Wood in tonight's twin bill.

OK, free country and all that, but shouldn't you find a more secluded location for that type of activity?
   6. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 03:13 PM (#5692279)
as Nick Pivetta's ERA is over 8 in his last 5 starts.

He's been more than a bit unlucky in strand rate and BABIP.
   7. Nasty Nate Posted: June 14, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5692283)
. . . so it looks like yours truly will be pulling the ole Wilbur Wood in tonight's twin bill.

OK, free country and all that, but shouldn't you find a more secluded location for that type of activity?
The scorebook can be used to shield the view.
   8. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 03:37 PM (#5692310)
From RAB's write up on the series with the Nationals:

CC Sabathia produced a second straight superb outing, pitching into the sixth inning without giving up a run. He put a lot of traffic on the bases (four hits, three walks, hit batter) but was tough-as-nails when the pressure was greatest, pitching out of jams in nearly every inning to keep the Nats off the scoreboard.

This type of gutty performance is nothing new for Sabathia, who has limited batters to a .439 OPS with runners in scoring position this season, the second-best mark among AL pitchers and sixth-best in MLB (min. 50 batters faced).

And he did it in typical re-invented Sabathia form, by generating weak contact. As you can see below, only two balls in play against Sabathia were hit with solid contact (the pink/red zone in the chart):

Hit Chart

The chart itself is awesome, I've never seen one quite like it before.
   9. Baldrick Posted: June 14, 2018 at 04:08 PM (#5692333)
Do I root for the A's to win, and keep the M's in sole possession of first? Or do I accept that the Astros will inevitably win the division, so it's really about keeping the A's out of the wild card race?

These are questions I did not expect to be asking myself a couple months ago.
   10. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 04:12 PM (#5692337)
Do I root for the A's to win, and keep the M's in sole possession of first? Or do I accept that the Astros will inevitably win the division, so it's really about keeping the A's out of the wild card race?

I think it's pretty clear you root for the A's. Nothing is inevitable in MLB in June.
   11. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 04:20 PM (#5692341)
Nothing is inevitable in MLB in June.

Some teams will receive massive amounts of unearned free money at the end of the year, and other teams will be forced to foot the bill.
   12. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 04:28 PM (#5692350)

Some teams will receive massive amounts of unearned free money at the end of the year, and other teams will be forced to foot the bill.

and you will mention it.
   13. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 04:30 PM (#5692356)
Someone should. MLB keeps it all hush-hush now and threatens owners with punishment if they discuss it publicly. They don't even announce the numbers anymore like they did at first, because it became such an obvious embarrassment for the moocher franchises.
   14. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5692357)
MLB keeps it all hush-hush now and threatens owners with punishment if they discuss it publicly

How did you find out?
   15. Bote Man Posted: June 14, 2018 at 04:35 PM (#5692360)
If somebody wants to submit a Newsstand thread, have at it. Here's a teaser:

Eric Fisher @EricFisherSBJ
MLB owners meetings have concluded. A few nuggets from Rob Manfred. With attendance still down 7% despite better weather, he signals new concern that are other issues at play besides rain/cold. '19 schedule could have some new tweaks inc 2-gm wknd series

Mike Duncan @mikeduncan
Mike Duncan Retweeted Eric Fisher
If they're worried about attendance falling maybe they should, I don't know, lower the prices of, like, everything.

We turned what was once a three hour long picnic into an ultra-premium luxury experience that requires careful advanced budgeting and planning. Now many fewer people come.

And now, after deliberately and strategically pricing most people out of live baseball, they are suddenly like "oh no let's try to get people back in the seats--as long as it doesn't involve lowering the price of tickets, concessions, or merchandise"

harpergordek @harpergordek
To drill down to the core point: Making the most money had been tied to having highest attendance. But business types understand that making the most money, in the short term, involves different strategy than just drawing most fans & the influence of these types is high.

So if you want higher attendance you have to make clear that that is the primary goal and maximizing short-term money is secondary. Another way of saying that any change you may make to the game could be undercut by the goal of making money.

Example: make game 7 innings. Surprise! Huge Success! More fans want to come! But wait! Demand up? Now I can charge even more! End result: Attendance might be stagnant, but profits up.
   16. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 14, 2018 at 04:39 PM (#5692361)

When you're done with the shoehorn, please put it back in the drawer. Thanks.
   17. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 04:41 PM (#5692363)
MLB keeps it all hush-hush now and threatens owners with punishment if they discuss it publicly

How did you find out?

I pay attention.

18. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5692370)
Couldn't find any articles from when Ford Frick was the commissioner?
   19. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: June 14, 2018 at 04:49 PM (#5692371)
harpergordek @harpergordek has indeed drilled down to the core point. The owners unfortunately have no interest in high attendance for the sake of high attendance. They just want revenue.</i>
   20. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 14, 2018 at 04:51 PM (#5692375)
I pay attention.
If it was in Newsday seven years ago, it's neither "hush-hush"," nor is it "now."
   21. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5692380)
Mike Duncan Retweeted Eric Fisher
If they're worried about attendance falling maybe they should, I don't know, lower the prices of, like, everything.

Because I'm a fair-minded and solution-oriented man of constant principle I've been discussing this issue in the context of the league's "revenue stealing" schemes and the poormouth plutocrats who found it so very very profitable to cry poor while soaking the fans who come out to see the best team sport in the world.

You see comrades, it's the moral risk of limitless unearned free money in perpetuity (note this footage of Wendy Selig at the 2002 labor meetings) that seeks to decouple the historically direct relationship between a successful, popular product and a profitable one. We see this in the Marlins most starkly, as Jeff Loria simply pocketed the cash or gave it to his cronies (resulting in one of the highest-paid front offices in baseball) while being openly disdainful of an increasingly disinterested fanbase.

Among my many superior proposals to the pink-tinged Budshovik kleptocracy we currently live with would be to codify the reason revenue sharing exists based on the ACTUAL STATEMENTS OF THE WELFARE TEAMS when the scheme was first launched in the 1990s - the failure to redistribute millions in no-strings-attached cash was hurting the fans! It was depriving the fans of their ability to see their favorite team! It was driving up ticket prices and associated costs for attending America's Pastime, and we needed to do something.

So in taking them at their word I proposed that any team who accepted the Free Money Teat make a demonstrable effort to pass benefits through to their beleaguered fanbase. For example, every team that accepts league welfare should be forced to offer a certain number of parking spaces (graded depending on the scale of the graft) to fans for $5. If they cannot show that they are offering, say, 1000 parking spaces per game at $5 a car on a first-come, first-served basis, they can't get their money.

Similarly, every franchise that receives ANY money should be forced to offer at least one single concession site in their ballpark offering a hot dog and soda for $2. Costco does this nationwide for $1.50 but we'll give the owners an extra 50 cents because their real estate is more valuable. The idea that it costs $20 or $30 to feed a small family at a ballgame (much more if someone drinks the demon alcohol) is insulting and further segregates the benefits of baseball fandom to the monied few.

Now I can understand why an OWNER would prefer the no-strings-attached free money train to actually delivering something of value to the sweaty slobs in the stands, but if you're really concerned about baseball attendance and fan outreach, the YR model has Budshovism beat 7 ways to Sunday.
   22. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5692384)
I pay attention.

If it was in Newsday seven years ago, it's neither "hush-hush"," nor is it "now."

Oh, so if you make a public show of threatening punishment for speaking out of turn and everyone shuts up and quietly agrees to never say it again out of fear of...wait, what is your point again?
   23. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 05:06 PM (#5692386)
demon alcohol

sad memories I can't recall

Budshovism

I hate Bud Selig too.

That said, I really don't see the problem with revenue sharing. I see your point, but just like in actual society the rich do need to prop up the less rich to a degree to improve the overall product. I can understand why the rich teams would think this is unfair; but they're certainly free to divest themselves of their property at any time if they feel that they are not making enough money.
   24. Walt Davis Posted: June 14, 2018 at 05:12 PM (#5692393)

A lead in for GREAT MOMENTS in NORTH CAROLINA LEGAL HISTORY

Back in the days when outlawing certain acts of sexual congress between consenting adults was still constitutional, on some Sat 2 am patrol, the Chapel Hill police discovered one young man performing fellatio on another young man in the parking lot outside a bar. The police arrested the young men and charged them with sodomy.

Now the Orange Cty (NC ... includes CH) DA valued his political future and immediately understood that he had none if he proceeded with sodomy charges in liberal Chapel Hill. Nevertheless he presumably felt that outbursts of oral sex in public places was probably not something the public wanted. So he cleverly charged (at least) one of them with indecent exposure.

Which is when it came to light that the NC statute on indecent exposure at that time was written such that it was only illegal to expose yourself to someone of the opposite sex.

So, y'know, if you're in NC and it's not co-ed softball, let your Wilbur Wood fly Nate.
   25. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 05:14 PM (#5692394)
I see your point, but just like in actual society the rich do need to prop up the less rich to a degree to improve the overall product. I can understand why the rich teams would think this is unfair; but they're certainly free to divest themselves of their property at any time if they feel that they are not making enough money.

Interesting, because I think that should apply more to the welfare poormouths would would have you believe they walk from limousine-to-yacht in a barrel-and-suspenders outfit absent the wonders of forced redistribution. They can always sell if they weren't getting the return they expected for their investment - baseball teams are a hot commodity! But I always enjoy the "if you don't like it go back to Africa" argument, which is always trotted out in defense of indefensible systems.

Having said that, I am curious about linking the plight of these fabulously wealthy plutocrats to that of the downtrodden who rely on redistributed funds for sustenance. Do you suppose the owners agree that large-scale redistribution to the least-wealthy in a group (let's call this group "Americans") is a positive thing that should be widely championed and expanded at every opportunity? Because I see owners like David Glass, former of Walmart, who made exploitation of the working class a very profitable endeavor for himself and his corporate masters. Indeed, I see very few heroes of the proletariat who might endorse your specific defense of revenue-stealing in baseball.
   26. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 06:09 PM (#5692427)
"if you don't like it go back to Africa" argument

That escalated quickly. What the hell is wrong with you?

Interesting, because I think that should apply more to the welfare poormouths

This is a fair point though. I would like to see the commissioner force owners who don't spend enough money on their teams to sell. Even at that point though, revenue sharing makes a lot of sense.
   27. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 14, 2018 at 06:16 PM (#5692432)
That escalated quickly.
You must be new here.
   28. John DiFool2 Posted: June 14, 2018 at 06:18 PM (#5692435)
Semi-OT...

Even tho 3, and maybe 2 more, are at -1 under par, the US Open looks to be a total bloodbath (only one guy at even par). Recall the USGA invariably toughens everything up after a year where the scoring was easy (as it was last year-recall 1974's Massacre at Winged Foot after Johnny Miller's final round 63 in '73). Spieth and Tiger shot 78's. Rory McIlroy an 80. Bubba and Phil 77's.
   29. Man o' Schwar Posted: June 14, 2018 at 06:36 PM (#5692441)
That escalated quickly. What the hell is wrong with you?

There are a lot of theories.
   30. Man o' Schwar Posted: June 14, 2018 at 06:37 PM (#5692443)
Even tho 3, and maybe 2 more, are at -1 under par, the US Open looks to be a total bloodbath (only one guy at even par). Recall the USGA invariably toughens everything up after a year where the scoring was easy (as it was last year-recall 1974's Massacre at Winged Foot after Johnny Miller's final round 63 in '73). Spieth and Tiger shot 78's. Rory McIlroy an 80. Bubba and Phil 77's.

I say hallelujah. I'm sick of US Opens where the winner is far under par. It's supposed to be the toughest tournament of the year, but the golfers all go into public whining mode if the rough is a little high or the greens are a little fast, and the USGA gives in every year.

I hope this year they tell them to stick it in their visors and just go play, but my guess is there will be enough complaints today that the course the rest of the weekend will play a whole lot easier.
   31. Astroenteritis Posted: June 14, 2018 at 06:45 PM (#5692445)
Or do I accept that the Astros will inevitably win the division,

Well I don't think it's inevitable the Astros win the division, so I say you go for it and root for the A's (OK, the game's over and Houston won, but you know). If the Mariners never lose another game they're in good shape!
   32. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: June 14, 2018 at 06:46 PM (#5692447)
That escalated quickly.
You must be new here.
We're all guilty of feeding the troll.
   33. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 06:48 PM (#5692451)
MLB is a business that would not function without all its sub-businesses (the teams). It stands to reason that a certain portion of profits should be shared between rich and "poor" teams. I put poor in quotes to acknowledge and agree with your statement that no MLB owner is truly poor. Some MLB owners may be considered poor in comparison with others perhaps; but your point is taken that these are not truly poor people that own teams. The purpose of MLB is to make money by entertaining customers in many markets. You are free to disagree with that mission statement; but that is what MLB wants to do. To that end, they need other teams to exist in other markets besides NY LA BOS CHI etc. I know you will disagree.
   34. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 06:49 PM (#5692452)
You must be new here.

Not so new that I don't know what I'm getting into. :)
   35. vortex of dissipation Posted: June 14, 2018 at 06:50 PM (#5692453)
Longoria, not so much. His bat hasn't recovered at all, and the stats have his D ranging from below average to awful.

He's broken his left hand on a HBP today.
   36. AT-AT at bat@AT&T Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:06 PM (#5692459)
Let's go Yankees ! clapclap clap clapclapclap

The Longoria thang was a bumgarner earlier, but even lincecummer was the fact, that the Giants lost 3 of 4 vs. the Fish !
Now I hope they somehow pick it up, with Hanson and when Belt returns after strikeoutsectomy, so they put pressure on the D-Backs.
NL West is really up for grabs and injuries hurt like hell, but the Giants have talent. Hope is a 4-letter word, like Soto and Gray...

Again : Let's go Yankees !

UHM

37. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:06 PM (#5692460)
He's broken his left hand on a HBP today.

That's not going to help.
   38. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:08 PM (#5692461)
Lightning!!!

His 1978 season is the reason I became a Yankees fan ... I just remember turning over the Topps card for that year for the first time at the age of 8 and being in awe of the numbers.

Well, that was a shitty start to the game.

[edit] nice bounce back, though ...
   39. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:13 PM (#5692463)
"if you don't like it go back to Africa" argument

That escalated quickly. What the hell is wrong with you

I don’t like obviously dishonest and specious arguments that have been historically used to justify every possible form of injustice and silence discussion.

If you don’t like it, leave.
   40. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:18 PM (#5692464)
is Guidry in attendance??
   41. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:19 PM (#5692466)
Threw out the first pitch.
   42. AT-AT at bat@AT&T Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:23 PM (#5692470)
Is it Guidry Bobblehead day ?
   43. AT-AT at bat@AT&T Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:24 PM (#5692472)
And that Parker dude from the Angels... when it is his Bobblehead day, will it actually bobble ?
   44. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:25 PM (#5692473)
Is it Guidry Bobblehead day ?

Yes.
   45. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:25 PM (#5692474)

If you don’t like it, leave.

I don't like you appropriating white supremacist language to describe my arguments as if anything I said resembled any of that nonsense.

I am entitled to my point of view. If you don't like it, you leave.
   46. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:26 PM (#5692475)
It's Ron Guidry Bobblehead Night.
   47. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:29 PM (#5692476)
I don’t like obviously dishonest and specious arguments

You must not like your own arguments then; because as soon as you finish saying that none of the owners are poor and rattling on about how David Glass is hardly a member of the proletariat, in the very next breath you're on about the poor rich owners and how unjust it is. You talk out of both sides of your mouth on this issue. At least I can see both sides and don't resort to being a bully.
   48. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:30 PM (#5692478)
It's Ron Guidry Bobblehead Night.

That's cool. He was one of my favorite Yankees.
   49. AT-AT at bat@AT&T Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:35 PM (#5692482)
Guidry was my favorite too, next to the Niekros and that Righetti, who threw balls over the RF fence.

God, I am so old, dude.
   50. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:37 PM (#5692484)
That's cool. He was one of my favorite Yankees.

I had two posters hanging on the walls in my room growing up.

Ron Guidry and Paulina Porzikova.

Didn't matter he was a lefty and I throw from the right, he was my idol.

[edit] AnDujar!

51. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:39 PM (#5692485)
I don't like you appropriating white supremacist language to describe my arguments as if anything I said resembled any of that nonsense

I described your argument accurately If you don’t like being confronted with the logical consequence of your crass and dishonest dismissal of my attempts to have an honest discussion you can leave.
   52. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:40 PM (#5692486)
that Righetti, who threw balls over the RF fence.

CF.

I remember watching that game live. Gave up a GS to blow the save (and the lead), got a new ball from the catcher, threw it over the ####### CF fence from the mound.

Then went on to set the saves record that year.

46, IIRC ...

[edit] I am old too, my memory is wrong, it was to RF, well, right center, to watch the YouTube video ...
   53. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:40 PM (#5692487)
Ron Guidry and Paulina Porzikova.

That's funny as I had several posters of Paulina's husband being a big Cars fan as a kid. Paulina obviously was way more attractive than Ric so I think you did a better job decorating your room than I did. The Yankees I liked as a kid were Guidry, Henderson, Randolph, and Mattingly. As a Met fan, I still liked to watch the first inning of Yankee games to see those three get up.
   54. AT-AT at bat@AT&T Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:41 PM (#5692489)
The sad thing is, with my bipolar Yankee-Giants perspective, is, that every Yankee batter has a better, more natural stance, than Hunter Pence. And I also really like Hunter Pence, but I don't see a future for him. Maybe the Republican Party is hiring ?!
   55. AT-AT at bat@AT&T Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:43 PM (#5692490)
CF.

Are you sure ? My brain has it stored under : CF Faux Pas Pitcher Centerfieldhetti

56. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:44 PM (#5692491)
And I also really like Hunter Pence, but I don't see a future for him.
Maybe he'll join an NFL team and become a punter hence.
   57. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:45 PM (#5692492)
I don’t like obviously dishonest and specious arguments

You must not like your own arguments then

I think my arguments are fine, because I understand them.

because as soon as you finish saying that none of the owners are poor and rattling on about how David Glass is hardly a member of the proletariat, in the very next breath you're on about the poor rich owners and how unjust it is.

You don’t understand what I’m saying, or you’re being intentionally dishonest in your purported description of what I’ve written.
   58. AT-AT at bat@AT&T Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:46 PM (#5692493)
Maybe he'll join an NFL team and become a punter hence.

Maybe the Las Vegas Raiders...
   59. perros Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:47 PM (#5692494)

CC Sabathia produced a second straight superb outing, pitching into the sixth inning without giving up a run.

Love the guy. The Yankees should be forced to share him with other teams.
   60. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:48 PM (#5692495)
Are you sure ? My brain has it stored under : CF Faux Pas Pitcher Centerfieldhetti

Looking at the YouTube, seems like RCF, we can split the difference!

YouTube

Was right about the GS though ...

[edit] Also, that's one HELL of a throw, a step, no hop, over the wall from about 5 feet behind the mound.
   61. AT-AT at bat@AT&T Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:52 PM (#5692496)
And I thought that was in OLD Yankee Stadium... damn, my brain is failing badly.
I hope that George Brett moment was to RF ... otherwise I will have to have some psychologist do me ! hypnosis
   62. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:56 PM (#5692499)
You don’t understand what I’m saying, or you’re being intentionally dishonest in your purported description of what I’ve written.

It is possible that I do not understand what you're saying, because I am definitely not being intentionally dishonest. I think that MLB, like other sports, should have some form of revenue sharing because the league is a coalition of businesses that have a symbiotic relationship with one another. I don't think it should be prohibitive; the richest teams should be able to use their monetary advantage to some extent. But I don't think it unreasonable that some of the "poorer" teams take a little money from the richer teams. It is important to me that this money get used to improve their own team. Like you, I don't like that the Marlins and whoever else pocket the money instead of using it. I am very much in favor of minimum payrolls. If you are a believer in unfettered capitalism, then we agree to disagree. Simple as that.
   63. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 07:58 PM (#5692500)

[edit] Also, that's one HELL of a throw, a step, no hop, over the wall from about 5 feet behind the mound.

To add, watch the flight of that throw out of his hand, that wasn't a rainbow, that was a flat laser.
   64. rconn23 Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:12 PM (#5692501)
Andujar's range at third leaves a lot to be desired.
   65. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:14 PM (#5692502)
German cleaned things up.
   66. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:17 PM (#5692504)
Love the guy. The Yankees should be forced to share him with other teams

now this is funny.
   67. AT-AT at bat@AT&T Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:29 PM (#5692507)
Love the guy. The Yankees should be forced to share him with other teams

now this is funny.

Some guy put a sound effect on that spiderman ad a few years back with Sabathia.
I can't get it out of my head, and I sure do hope, that Sabs doesn't do the Pujols, but retires unshamed.
   68. AT-AT at bat@AT&T Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:30 PM (#5692508)
Sabs :

Spidermoan
   69. AT-AT at bat@AT&T Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:39 PM (#5692510)
Okay, Stanton has a similarily weird-looking stance, as Hunter Pence does.
They might even have the same avg..
   70. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:46 PM (#5692512)
Just a disgraceful at bat from Stanton.

C'mon Gleyber!
   71. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:47 PM (#5692513)
How about that Gleyber Torres!
   72. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:47 PM (#5692514)
EVERYBODY GLEYBER NOW!!!

OONCE, OONCE, OONCE!!!
   73. AT-AT at bat@AT&T Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:47 PM (#5692515)
Well Gleyber me timbers !
   74. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:48 PM (#5692516)
IT'S GLEYBER DAY!!!! 4-2 YANKS
   75. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:57 PM (#5692519)
Strikes, German ...
   76. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 08:59 PM (#5692520)
MODAMMIT.

CALL THAT ####.
   77. rconn23 Posted: June 14, 2018 at 09:03 PM (#5692522)
German is a vexing pitcher. Fantastic stuff, but he can't seem to consistently harness it.
   78. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 14, 2018 at 09:14 PM (#5692526)
German is a vexing pitcher. Fantastic stuff, but he can't seem to consistently harness it.

German is on his 7th Major League start. Some patience is needed here. He may be worth it, and better options are scarce at the moment.
   79. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 09:22 PM (#5692529)
German is on his 7th Major League start. Some patience is needed here. He may be worth it, and better options are scarce at the moment.

To appropriate what has been stated elsewhere in this very thread ... you must be new here.

rconn23 needs a fainting couch every bloody game.
   80. Howie Menckel Posted: June 14, 2018 at 09:38 PM (#5692538)
Guidry is responsible for - or to be blamed for - the origin of the practice of everybody standing up or at least rhythmically clapping every time a pitcher gets two strikes on a batter. well, his fans are, anyway.
   81. rconn23 Posted: June 14, 2018 at 09:42 PM (#5692542)
#79. Maybe, you post in all caps more often.;)
   82. rconn23 Posted: June 14, 2018 at 10:00 PM (#5692547)
The Yankees bullpen appears to be back in full force.
   83. Count Vorror Rairol Mencoon (CoB) Posted: June 14, 2018 at 11:23 PM (#5692566)
From RAB's game recap:

German bounced back quite well from the leadoff dinger — he struck out the next three batters — and, overall, he turned in the kind of solid start I would take every fifth day no questions asked. His line: 6 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 10 K, 1 HR on 91 pitches. Do that every five days and the offense and bullpen will take care of the rest. The most impressive thing? German generated 26 swings and misses. 26! Easily the most by a Yankee this season.

Let’s get back to the swings and misses for a second though. German had 26 of them, which tied Chris Sale and Aaron Nola for the fourth most by any pitcher this season. Only pitchers with more in a game this year are James Paxton (31), Max Scherzer (29), and Jacob deGrom (27). Pretty good company, eh?

Jonathan Loaisiga makes his MLB debut tomorrow night ... EXCITED!!!*

*That's for you, rconn!

=)
   84. Howie Menckel Posted: June 15, 2018 at 12:14 AM (#5692590)
I have already paid my final respects to the loved ones left behind by the 2018 Mets and moved on. but will post tweets from a longtime pal who is still in denial (I think this is from tonight's game, if they played)

"This just in: Jacob Rhame blows. We got him and a box of balls last year and half of those balls were sent flying out of the joint. I don’t know what a Rhame does except that he blows and blows bad. Oops there goes another homer. Boom! Boom!"
   85. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 15, 2018 at 12:32 AM (#5692594)
Tyler Austin optioned to AAA Scranton to make roster room for tomorrow's Yankee starter Jonathan Loaisiga.
   86. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: June 15, 2018 at 10:27 AM (#5692702)
Losaiga needs to work on his control.
   87. Nasty Nate Posted: June 15, 2018 at 10:27 AM (#5692703)
So, y'know, if you're in NC and it's not co-ed softball, let your Wilbur Wood fly Nate.
Well, it wasn't in NC and it was co-ed, so the only indecent exposure I committed was peeing in the bushes.

I did stupidly injure my non-pitching (and, uh, non- other things) wrist. I violated my own personal 'no sliding' rule and somehow sprained something in the process.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama
for his generous support.