Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Woman hid $147,000 baseball card collection from siblings, police say

That’s quite a load.

jk

Nearly nine years after the death of a Fayette County woman, five of her six children contend they never saw a penny of her $677,216 estate, and one is still looking for the $147,000 baseball card collection he stored at his mother’s Hopwood home.

Now one sibling faces criminal charges in the money’s disappearance and a civil lawusit in the missing 250,000 baseball cards, including rare ones for icons Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays.

...Michael Mehall discovered the 250,000-card collection missing when he was allowed into his mother’s house for the first time since her death in November 2007, according to the civil complaint.

On Monday, Michael Mehall said he began his collection as a child, picking up cards at flea markets and yard sales he visited with his mother.

“The really, really rare ones I just lucked into,” Michael Mehall said. “It does make me emotional, because of the sentiment attached.”

The collection included nine complete sets of Topps’ cards from the 1960s and 1970s and numerous individual cards for such baseball greats as Lou Gehrig, Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, Steve Garvey, Johnny Bench and Jackie Robinson, according to the civil complaint.

The oldest cards in the set dated to 1909 and included ones for Bill O’Hara and Tris Speaker that were valued at $6,000 each when the civil lawsuit was filed.

“I’m not in it for the money,” Michael Mehall said. “I just want this to pass on to my son. This was me growing up.”

Repoz Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:33 PM | 14 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: business, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:44 PM (#4306965)
Fortunate for him that he has sentimental attachment to something worth thousands of dollars as opposed to say, used bottle caps.
   2. Voros McCracken of Pinkus Posted: November 20, 2012 at 04:55 PM (#4306975)
By the way, I'm pretty sure the names are reversed on the Reuschel baseball card.
   3. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: November 20, 2012 at 05:00 PM (#4306980)
Estate fights are always ugly
   4. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: November 20, 2012 at 07:00 PM (#4307107)
I poo-poohed that $147K figure until I saw the 250K number of cards-that's about 59 cents apiece.

BTW--how many shoe boxes would it take to fit 250,000 cards?
   5. Srul Itza Posted: November 20, 2012 at 07:06 PM (#4307116)
Estate fights are always ugly

You don't know the half of it. In the early 80's, when I was with a large NYC firm, we represented the second husband of an older, fairly wealthy woman, in an estate dispute against her children from her first marriage. The second husband, who was in his 70's, and the eldest son, who was late 50's, were both ex-marines. I remember taking the son's deposition, with his wife, siblings and my client in attendance -- he was all smiles, and all malice.

This was back when Marie Lambert was one of the two Manhattan Surrogates, and you crossed her at your peril. She called us all in one morning for a settlement conference, and basically said, settle the case now, or else everyone will be extremely unhappy. So the parties agreed to a settlement. They left for the deceased's apartment, to divvy up some of the personal items.

That afternoon, the cover of the NY Post reported that the son had bludgeoned the step father to death with an objet d'art that they were arguing over. I brought this to the lead partner's attention, who quickly made sure that our client's last check had cleared.
   6. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: November 20, 2012 at 07:12 PM (#4307121)
numerous individual cards for such baseball greats as Lou Gehrig, Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, Steve Garvey, Johnny Bench and Jackie Robinson

Uh, one of these is not like the others.....
   7. Jarrod HypnerotomachiaPoliphili(Teddy F. Ballgame) Posted: November 20, 2012 at 08:05 PM (#4307150)
numerous individual cards for such baseball greats as Lou Gehrig, Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, Steve Garvey, Johnny Bench and Jackie Robinson

Yeah, only one American Leaguer. What's up with that?
   8. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: November 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM (#4307237)

Yeah, only one American Leaguer. What's up with that?

and only one Hispanic

(and only one Nazi child molester)
   9. something like a train wreck Posted: November 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM (#4307242)
Lou Gehrig, Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, Steve Garvey, Johnny Bench and Jackie Robinson

One of these things is not like the others.
   10. Justin T., Director of Somethin Posted: November 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM (#4307262)
Uhhhh....
   11. The Well-Tempered Javier Vasquez (loungehead) Posted: November 21, 2012 at 12:27 AM (#4307263)
BTW--how many shoe boxes would it take to fit 250,000 cards?

Depends on what size you wear?

A pretty standard, large card box holds about 5,000 cards with the card stock normally used for baseball cards. Those things are 19" x 16.5" x 4". Assuming each box holds 5k cards, you'd need 50 of them to hold a card collection of that size - a little more than 36 cubic feet. I would guess that each one weighs 20 pounds as well (a full box like that of Magic cards weighs about 25, but the card stock on those is thinner, so I would imagine that they're also more dense). A half-ton of cardboard .... pretty impressive.
   12. bob gee Posted: November 21, 2012 at 09:46 AM (#4307328)
srul - interesting story...

i used to have my cards in 800 count boxes. i think they were about 1 1/2 feet long and 4 inches wide?
so 300 of those...
   13. Bowling Baseball Fan Posted: November 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM (#4307337)
If that is the book value of the collection, the actual market value is closer to $40,000. And only because it has so many vintage cards in it.
   14. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: November 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM (#4307353)
I brought this to the lead partner's attention, who quickly made sure that our client's last check had cleared.

And I assume made a quick call to see if the son was considering new representation?

great story

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.