Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

World Baseball Classic Update (Sept. 11, 2012): Hats for Sale, Canada’s ROSTER ANNOUNCED and goes to St. Pete, Loophole Abuse, and more!

The link at the top is to MLB’s shop page, where hats for (some of) the WBC teams are now on sale, including for the new teams that are in the qualifiers. Presumably the countries missing haven’t finalized their hat design, or something.

Canada has released their qualification roster as they head to Germany to face the best that Europe and European-descended North America has to offer. It can be found in this PDF or at the www.baseball.ca site. It’s made up entirely of players either currently or formerly playing pro ball, usually in the minors but with a few Indy-leaguers and retired guys thrown in. They will be in St. Petersburg to train this coming week. 

Meanwhile, in Japan, there is some wondering about whether Daisuke Matsuzaka’s injury last time might dissuade some of current Japan-born MLBers from taking part. In other words, the question is whether Yu Darvish will play. Oh, and various sources say that Japan still hasn’t picked a manager yet, as the increased activity for the team with the “Samurai Japan” plan will mean more games, making it far less appetizing to current managers.

In Korea, it’s a possibility that Kim In-Sik could manage the team again. Technically they’d made a rule that whoever were to win the Korean Series was to be the manager, but they forgot to put in any way of enforcing that, meaning that that rule might be more like a suggestion, which may mean that In-Sik, who is no longer a active manager in Korea, could lead again.

Today in “creative use of WBC ancestry loopholes” comes the news that Toby Gardenhire will be playing for Germany, which is doubly creative because Ron Gardenhire was born in Germany to American military parents. Bravo, creative use of ancestry, bravo. I thought you’d reached your peak with the Bahamians playing for Great Britain because the Bahamas were a British Colony when their grandparents were born there, but this goes above even that.

As the qualifying tournaments near, more WBC stories are likely on their way, and so I’l try to keep up with them for everybody, just like last time.

Gamingboy Posted: September 11, 2012 at 03:49 PM | 2 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: canada, germany, international, israel, japan, korea, wbc, world baseball classic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. morineko Posted: September 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM (#4233752)
The Canadian team has Brock Kjeldgaard and Philippe Valiquette, so I guess I'm stuck following Team Canada. I imagine they're not that happy that Jim Henderson got called up and Nick Bucci (part of 2011's national team) is headed to the Arizona Fall League. (Wait, I thought Kjeldgaard was supposed to go there too? Maybe it's because Bucci is on an innings limit and thus isn't available, I don't know.)
   2. Good cripple hitter Posted: September 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM (#4233773)
The link to Canada's roster is broken. I can't find a way to link directly to the PDF (I think it's the spaces in the URL) but here's a link to the roster announcement that has the PDF.

My biggest question was how did former Expo Mike Johnson get on this team, but the Team Canada page says he played for them at the 2011 PanAm games.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
HowardMegdal
for his generous support.