Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Yankees analyst David Cone refers to Ichiro Suzuki’s bat as ‘chopstick’

A Glitcher’s Story: Just Another Inning With David Cone.

David Cone might have some explaining to do after a comment he made during Tuesday night’s broadcast of the New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox game.

Cone referred to the bat used by Yankees outfielder Ichiro Suzuki as a “chopstick” on the YES Network’s broadcast of the game. Ichiro is a native of Japan.

The remark caused an outcry from fans on social media.

Repoz Posted: October 03, 2012 at 04:53 AM | 145 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: October 03, 2012 at 02:45 PM (#4252606)
I actually don't think that wizardry serves him well as he ages. In the example which touched this whole thing off, he swung at a ball nowhere near the plate, which resulted in a weak ground ball to short and him being out by several feet. It would have been much better if he had taken that pitch and then whaled away at a good one later in the count.

Five years ago, he beats that one out for a single. Now that he's not supersonic down the line, he'll need to swing at good pitches in order to put up consistently good numbers.
   102. ecwcat Posted: October 03, 2012 at 02:49 PM (#4252610)
There IS no public outcry. It's just a couple of Tweet heads who stir the pot.

Hope this doesn't cause Cone to get fired for no reason.
   103. AJMcCringleberry Posted: October 03, 2012 at 02:59 PM (#4252615)
Serious question, can you think of an example referencing blacks? That might help me better understand.

His bat is even bigger than his penis.
   104. Greg K Posted: October 03, 2012 at 03:34 PM (#4252636)
I went to school with a guy who often used the phrase "I haven't seen/done X in a coon's age".

I think he met his first non-white person when he was 21 so we had a hell of a time explaining why that phrase wasn't always a good idea to use in public.
   105. jack the seal clubber (on the sidelines of life) Posted: October 03, 2012 at 03:41 PM (#4252644)
If he wanted, Ichiro could hit home runs with chopsticks. He just chooses not to.

I can't believe anyone actually has a problem with this. People that cruise the internet looking for things to be morally outraged in their PC mindset of life, I guess. I got called a "cracker" the other day and did not immediately run to the NCLU, not that they would have had any interest in it.
   106. Greg K Posted: October 03, 2012 at 03:48 PM (#4252653)
...oh ruined my day. Boy, he shouldn’t have called me a cracker, bringing me back to owning land and people what a drag.
   107. winnipegwhip Posted: October 03, 2012 at 03:53 PM (#4252656)
Good thing Kim Ng never became a GM.

"Dodgers trade prospects to Red Sox for aging veterans. Dodger GM says my players last long time."
   108. PreservedFish Posted: October 03, 2012 at 04:16 PM (#4252692)
I actually don't think that wizardry serves him well as he ages. In the example which touched this whole thing off, he swung at a ball nowhere near the plate, which resulted in a weak ground ball to short and him being out by several feet. It would have been much better if he had taken that pitch and then whaled away at a good one later in the count.

Did anyone read the article about Ichiro's climate-controlling bat case? He uses it in order to control the amount of moisture in his bats. There was a hilarious detail in there that Chone Figgins, while on the Mariners, began using the same type of case.
   109. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 03, 2012 at 04:31 PM (#4252715)
Serious question, can you think of an example referencing blacks? That might help me better understand.

It isn't helpful asking that question because any such references involving blacks - whether truly offensive or not - have been drummed out of the public discourse. Even if there were nothing wrong with a particular statement in relation to blacks, people simply stay away from making them.
   110. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 03, 2012 at 04:34 PM (#4252723)

I love watching him play defense or run the bases. But his batting style has always been boring to me. "Let's watch as he swings at everything that moves and hits a high chopper to short." It's simply not exciting to me to watch him beat that play out.

Though for context, this is coming from someone who, when watching football, literally skips past all running plays and all punt or kick returns, and all field goals, except towards the end of the game. All of these plays are beyond boring to me.
   111. PreservedFish Posted: October 03, 2012 at 04:40 PM (#4252743)
when watching football, literally skips past all running plays and all punt or kick returns, and all field goals, except towards the end of the game.

Do you exclusively watch with Tivo or a time machine?
   112. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 03, 2012 at 04:51 PM (#4252754)
DVR. I can skip ahead 30 seconds. Usually that's about the time it takes for them to start the next play.
   113. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 03, 2012 at 04:56 PM (#4252758)
Cone just apologized on espn radio.
   114. PreservedFish Posted: October 03, 2012 at 04:59 PM (#4252763)
So you see a handoff and you hit the skip forward button. You don't even wait to see if there's a gap to run through? Did you think Barry Sanders was boring?
   115. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 03, 2012 at 05:02 PM (#4252770)
So you see a handoff and you hit the skip forward button. You don't even wait to see if there's a gap to run through? Did you think Barry Sanders was boring?

I suppose I sometimes wait a split second to see if something is opening up. But as soon as I see that the RB is poised to run straight into a mass of uniforms like a retard, I skip ahead.
   116. PreservedFish Posted: October 03, 2012 at 05:08 PM (#4252785)
You are an odd fellow.
   117. Biscuit_pants Posted: October 03, 2012 at 05:33 PM (#4252849)
There really wouldn't be one. There are not black cultural things that are across the board that aren't also found somewhere in America in general.

As someone pointed out above maybe our use of forks, so a Japanese announcer saying that a pitcher is done you can stick a fork in him would be a good analogy, and then the announcer having to apologize because of the insensitive racial remark.
   118. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: October 03, 2012 at 05:53 PM (#4252889)
Mark McGwire really swung the shillelagh!

(Is he of Irish descent?)
   119. Greg K Posted: October 03, 2012 at 05:54 PM (#4252893)
Though for context, this is coming from someone who, when watching football, literally skips past all running plays and all punt or kick returns, and all field goals, except towards the end of the game. All of these plays are beyond boring to me.

Sounds like you just don't like football. (Which is a thoroughly reasonable position).
   120. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: October 03, 2012 at 05:57 PM (#4252897)
like a retard

Very nice, Ray.
   121. Greg K Posted: October 03, 2012 at 05:59 PM (#4252901)
Do you agree that the Giants should become tied with the Dodgers after having made a formal offer to the Los Angeles club for a new scoreline within the scope of the final inning of the game respecting the future of the NL West?

Eric Gagne votes "non".
   122. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 03, 2012 at 06:00 PM (#4252904)
Cone just apologized on espn radio.

What an inane cultural ritual this is.
   123. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 03, 2012 at 06:13 PM (#4252941)
What an inane cultural ritual this is.

Seconded. The proper response was "STFU."
   124. JE (Jason) Posted: October 03, 2012 at 06:21 PM (#4252956)
3. Shouldn't that comment have been on MSG?

I just re-read the thread and noticed this. Very well played, sir!
   125.   Posted: October 03, 2012 at 06:22 PM (#4252959)
As far as I know, Japanese person utilizing chopsticks is no stereotype; it is a fact. Is it not? Is there something controversial about assuming that a person of Japan would be familiar with chopsticks? It is not the same as assuming a Japanese is good at math; I wouldn't even put it in the realm of assuming a Mexican eats tacos. Japanese people use chopsticks. They do.

I will agree with the person who said the phrasing is awkward though, and probably better avoided. But Jesus.

as for a comparison to blacks, iIdon't think it's possible since its not a nationality. different situation. t
   126. BDC Posted: October 03, 2012 at 06:23 PM (#4252960)
Speaking of referencing ethnicity, Eric Nadel on Rangers radio earlier today referred to the Yankees-Red Sox game as an "all-Japanese matchup." Which simply describes it. I don't think announcers ever refer to an "all-Dominican matchup," but probably because it's nothing in the slightest unusual. Announcers will refer directly to nationality now and then, but in a way as harmless as Ernie Harwell saying a kid from Okemos, Michigan had caught that foul ball, it seems to me.
   127. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 03, 2012 at 06:27 PM (#4252967)
Announcers will refer directly to nationality now and then, but in a way as harmless as Ernie Harwell saying a kid from Okemos, Michigan had caught that foul ball, it seems to me.

Okemos ... our Capital Circuit Conference arch-rival!

I see they waited until 2011 to drop their offensive "Chieftains" nickname and logo. Figures.
   128. vortex of dissipation Posted: October 03, 2012 at 06:27 PM (#4252968)
Speaking of referencing ethnicity, Eric Nadel on Rangers radio earlier today referred to the Yankees-Red Sox game as an "all-Japanese matchup." Which simply describes it. I don't think announcers ever refer to an "all-Dominican matchup," but probably because it's nothing in the slightest unusual.

I don't see anything wrong with that at all. It is unusual, and it's simply a statement of fact. If it were two British-born pitchers matching up, I'd be thrilled if the announcer called it an "all-British matchup".
   129. Greg K Posted: October 03, 2012 at 06:28 PM (#4252971)
Speaking of referencing ethnicity, Eric Nadel on Rangers radio earlier today referred to the Yankees-Red Sox game as an "all-Japanese matchup." Which simply describes it. I don't think announcers ever refer to an "all-Dominican matchup," but probably because it's nothing in the slightest unusual. Announcers will refer directly to nationality now and then, but in a way as harmless as Ernie Harwell saying a kid from Okemos, Michigan had caught that foul ball, it seems to me.

It might be the novelty of it...(ie there are too many Dominicans in the league). I know whenever the Jays play Seattle the broadcast notes several times that Felix Hernandez and Henderson Alvarez are both Venezuelan.
   130.   Posted: October 03, 2012 at 07:45 PM (#4253127)
It is ... funny that we get so sensitive about certain nations and cultures. Somebody made a funny comment about Matt Stairs upthread; but seriously, nobody here gives a #### about offending Canadians. Nobody wold get their panties in a twist about "Brett Lawrie handles his bat like it's a hockey stick." In fact, that would be pretty god damn funny. But for some reason Japan or Mexico is an entirely different matter. It is fascinating to me.
   131. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 03, 2012 at 08:09 PM (#4253160)
As an Asian guy, when I hear someone say something like what Cone said, I don't take offense, but I do roll my eyes. Nothing like making some random reference to those exotic Orientals and their wacky culture! That's okay, though. It's just whitey being whitey.
   132. The District Attorney Posted: October 03, 2012 at 08:14 PM (#4253164)
It is ... funny that we get so sensitive about certain nations and cultures. Somebody made a funny comment about Matt Stairs upthread; but seriously, nobody here gives a #### about offending Canadians. Nobody wold get their panties in a twist about "Brett Lawrie handles his bat like it's a hockey stick." In fact, that would be pretty god damn funny. But for some reason Japan or Mexico is an entirely different matter. It is fascinating to me.
Let me take the confusion and fascination out of it for you. If the target of the remark is someone who is potentially a target for discrimination in the larger society, then we might worry about it. If it isn't, then we won't.

As for this particular event, I will assume it's ok until either Ichiro or angryasianman.com lodges an objection.
   133.   Posted: October 03, 2012 at 08:16 PM (#4253165)
Who the heck isn't a "potential target for discrimination?"
   134. BDC Posted: October 03, 2012 at 08:49 PM (#4253191)
Canadians walk among us.
   135. shoewizard Posted: October 03, 2012 at 09:30 PM (#4253234)
Should have just called him a banjo hitter. Would that be offensive ?
   136. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: October 03, 2012 at 09:34 PM (#4253241)
Just whitey being whitey.
   137. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: October 03, 2012 at 09:39 PM (#4253247)
I'd be thrilled if the announcer called it an "all-British limey matchup".

FF
   138. Booey Posted: October 03, 2012 at 09:46 PM (#4253262)

Only if he was from the deep south and missing a few teeth.

Canadians walk among us.

Thanks Bob. Now I'm all creeped out. Hope you're happy.
   139. Bob Meta-Meusel Posted: October 03, 2012 at 10:32 PM (#4253326)
Word of advice for the MASN crew today. Do not paraphrase Keith Moon when commenting on German born Edwin Jackson's start by saying "it went down like a lead balloon."

Oh, the humanity!
   140. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: October 03, 2012 at 11:41 PM (#4253408)
he has an unusual swing that makes it seem like he's swinging something less substantial that a Louisville Slugger

That's because he swings a skinny little Mizuno.

This phrase usually refers to something else.

Option J?
   141. something like a train wreck Posted: October 03, 2012 at 11:42 PM (#4253410)
Negotiating a settlement of a case, I noted we would need a dismissal with prejudice. Took a while for the other attorney to calm his black client down.
   142. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 04, 2012 at 12:58 AM (#4253457)
#141, hilarious.
   143. BFFB Posted: October 04, 2012 at 05:29 AM (#4253503)
While watching last night I didn't really think much about the comment until the somewhat awkward silence that followed it. Then it really hit me that it could be construed as it apparently is being in some quarters. I don't think there was any maliciousness in Cone's comment, but I do think he wishes he hadn't said it now.

I just figured it was a reference to Ichiro being a slap hitter with no power, like saying he was swinging a toothpick or had a noodle arm. I guess I'm just attuned enough to racial differences to be offended by something so innocuous.
   144. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: October 04, 2012 at 08:57 AM (#4253563)
I just figured it was a reference to Ichiro being a slap hitter with no power, like saying he was swinging a toothpick or had a noodle arm.

Tommy Lasorda, from what I've heard, has a noodle arm as well.
   145. jack the seal clubber (on the sidelines of life) Posted: October 04, 2012 at 11:56 AM (#4253809)
If he wanted, Ichiro could hit home runs with chopsticks. He just chooses not to.

I can't believe anyone actually has a problem with this. People that cruise the internet looking for things to be morally outraged in their PC mindset of life, I guess. I got called a "cracker" the other day and did not immediately run to the NCLU, not that they would have had any interest in it.

.oh ruined my day. Boy, he shouldn’t have called me a cracker, bringing me back to owning land and people what a drag

Just makes my point. I don't care. You just have to make sure you direct your offensive words to the right group to avoid any criticism.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Phil Birnbaum
for his generous support.