Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Yankees to acquire Vernon Wells

Won’t this take away AB’s from Exicardo Cayones or whoever!

The New York Yankees are on the verge of acquiring outfielder Vernon Wells from the Los Angeles Angels.

The Westchester (N.Y.) Journal-News, citing a source, said the deal will get done, despite the fact Wells has a no-trade clause and that the Angels, presumably, would have to pick up a significant amount of Wells’ salary.

The deal was first reported by Yahoo Sports and could be finalized Sunday afternoon. The Los Angeles Times reported that Wells’ nameplate was removed from his locker and his belongs packed at the Angels’ Tempe, Ariz. facility.

Later, as he left their complex, he told reporters there were still “approvals and loopholes” to jump through. “I have some good friends in there, great teammates,” he said. “Goodbyes are never easy.”

Repoz Posted: March 24, 2013 at 05:20 PM | 144 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. BrianBrianson Posted: March 25, 2013 at 05:14 AM (#4395635)
Wells is hitting .361/.390./722 in spring training, so he might not be as bad as most imagine. Maybe.

But the Yankess already have an outfielder who's hitting .571/.667/1.143 this spring! Imagine how not bad Tyler Austin is going to be!
   102. Heinie Mantush (Krusty) Posted: March 25, 2013 at 07:08 AM (#4395639)
So, if the Yankees were willing to do this Wells deal, why not just bring back Soriano? They'd get a nostalgia pop from the fans, Sori's better than Wells, and he can even probably still fake it around the if (if the yanks don't mind -30 defense)
   103. Matt Welch Posted: March 25, 2013 at 07:13 AM (#4395640)
Wells is a player capable of having very fine years

Denial is not just a river in Egypt!
   104. Steve Sparks Flying Everywhere Posted: March 25, 2013 at 07:16 AM (#4395641)
It's always a shock. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them. But despite everything, you've acquired Vernon Wells. But don't worry, there's hope! Vernon Wells is no longer the debilitating curse he was once thought to be. With the power of modern statistics, combined with plenty of off season training, rest, and a balanced diet, you can live a healthy life with Vernon Wells. Call your doctor today. (Side effects of Vernon Wells may include the following: upset stomach, nausea, lack of sleep, rage, and depression)
   105. Lassus Posted: March 25, 2013 at 08:20 AM (#4395651)
- applause -
   106. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 25, 2013 at 08:25 AM (#4395652)
- applause -

Seconded.
   107. Non-Youkilidian Geometry Posted: March 25, 2013 at 08:50 AM (#4395664)
Thirded.
   108. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 25, 2013 at 08:54 AM (#4395666)
And now some are reporting that the luxury tax hit is split evenly across 2013-14, which would just add to the WTF factor.
   109. BourbonSamurai Is a Lazy Nogoodnik Posted: March 25, 2013 at 09:03 AM (#4395671)
So, if the Yankees were willing to do this Wells deal, why not just bring back Soriano? They'd get a nostalgia pop from the fans, Sori's better than Wells, and he can even probably still fake it around the if (if the yanks don't mind -30 defense)

With the way Soriano played last year, I don't think the Cubs are willing to just completely give him away.
   110. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 25, 2013 at 09:10 AM (#4395676)
With the way Soriano played last year, I don't think the Cubs are willing to just completely give him away.

Is getting $13M savings giving him away?
   111. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: March 25, 2013 at 09:50 AM (#4395703)
Has there been any word on who the Yankees will 'give up' for Wells?
   112. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 25, 2013 at 09:51 AM (#4395704)
Dignity isn't enough?
   113. cheng Posted: March 25, 2013 at 09:52 AM (#4395706)
Can someone please dumb down the luxury tax part of this for me? Is it $21 mil for 2013 and 2014 (full contract), $6.5 mil for 2013 and 2014 (portion Yankees are paying spread out) or $13 mil for 2013 and 0 for 2014 (actual cash Yankees are paying)?

114. SG Posted: March 25, 2013 at 09:55 AM (#4395709)
Is it $21 mil for 2013 and 2014 (full contract), $6.5 mil for 2013 and 2014 (portion Yankees are paying spread out) or $13 mil for 2013 and 0 for 2014 (actual cash Yankees are paying)?

Apparently it depends on who you ask. I've seen both, but I'm guessing that the Yankees wouldn't have gotten Wells if they couldn't concentrate the cap hit into 2013. Then again, with the things they've done this offseason it wouldn't surprise me if they thought they could do it and then found out afterwards that they in fact could not.
   115. Mike Emeigh Posted: March 25, 2013 at 09:55 AM (#4395710)
Has there been any word on who the Yankees will 'give up' for Wells?

No. Apparently the hold-up is that the Angels are sending cash to the Yankees, which means that the commissioner's office has to approve.

-- MWE
   116. Ron J2 Posted: March 25, 2013 at 09:59 AM (#4395712)
#45 When I was writing for BBBA I got known as the biggest Dave Berg booster out there.

Thing is that I liked him as a backup middle infielder. Could fake the defensive side and was a pretty fair hitter -- for a middle infielder.

Totally daft to end up with him DHing.
   117. zonk Posted: March 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM (#4395738)

The savings are pretty meaningless to the Cubs at this point...

The Cubs don't have anyone Soriano is blocking -- Jackson fails or succeeds as the CF and Almora and Soler are years away. What they have in the IF that might be ready soon (Baez, Villanueva) are wasted (and probably don't hit enough anyway) in LF even if they are blocked at the major league level (and only Rizzo/Castro are blockers... 3B is wide open and Barney is only a nice to have so long as he's cheap... and you believe at least some of the dWAR silliness).

Virtually all of the money on bad deals from the past few years is either already gone, or will be.

Moving Soriano at this point comes down to the acquiring team doing one of two things:

1)Assuming more than just a token part of the remaining 2 years of contract
or
2)Giving the Cubs back something of value

I completely understand an acquiring looking at those options and saying "Good luck with that, keep him then".... but that ought to be and does appear to be the way Thed are seeing things.

Someone's gotta play LF for the Cubs... might as well be Soriano.
   118. formerly dp Posted: March 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM (#4395741)
Speaking of Berg, remember when B-Pro got all swoony for Chris Woodward? I bought into that for about 3 months.
   119. RJ in TO Posted: March 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM (#4395783)
Speaking of Berg, remember when B-Pro got all swoony for Chris Woodward? I bought into that for about 3 months.

To be fair, that 2002 season looked pretty good.

Also, he's apparently still kicking around the minors.
   120. Nasty Nate Posted: March 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM (#4395785)

The savings are pretty meaningless to the Cubs at this point...

$13 million is never meaningless...
   121. Ron J2 Posted: March 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM (#4395790)
#118 I don't recall B-Pro and Woodward. But my reaction to him was pretty much the same as for Berg. I liked him a lot -- in the context of a utility player.

I saw him right at that line. Bad regular, nice guy to have on the bench.
   122. McCoy Posted: March 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM (#4395796)
Personally I think the Cubs should have pulled a Veeck and did a rent-a-vet strategy for this season. Take on everyone's bad contracts at minimal costs to themselves and see what it does for the year.

Vernon Wells in right, Crawford in center, Soriano in left, Rizzo at first, Uggla at second, Castro at short, ? at third, and ? at catcher.
   123. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM (#4395811)
$17M is way too much for a cromulent starting catcher.

You aren't talking about a cromulent starting catcher. You're talking about Russ Martin, who has shown not-insignificant signs that his bat is falling apart.
   124. Heinie Mantush (Krusty) Posted: March 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM (#4395836)

You aren't talking about a cromulent starting catcher. You're talking about Russ Martin, who has shown not-insignificant signs that his bat is falling apart.

Where are you getting that from? Following his breakdown due to overuse, Martin seems to have settled in as a ~90 OPS+, solid defensive catcher. Yeah, his raw triple slash has dropped, but he's been basically the same guy for the last two years. Martin's only 30, albeit with a ton of miles on the odometer. He should do well for Pittsburgh.
   125. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: March 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM (#4395840)
Also, he's apparently still kicking around the minors.

Woodward retired in December and got a job with the Mariners. Last year there was a story about him going back to school to get ready for post-baseball life, but it looks like he doesn't have to get into post-baseball life just yet. He was a smart guy who did a good job at just hanging around, so he might have a real coaching career ahead of him if he wants it.
   126. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 25, 2013 at 01:01 PM (#4395858)
Where are you getting that from?

My own observations. His BA's going down, and his Ks are going up. When an older player is doing that, he's often losing bat speed, and he's not far from the end. Martin isn't really old by normal player standards, but he's caught a ton of games, so he's got an old player's body.

He's also a catcher in his 30s, and those aren't usually good bets. And he hasn't looked at all good with the bat in spring training - while I obviously didn't know that when I initially came out against the signing, it doesn't really contradict my point.
   127. Walt Davis Posted: March 25, 2013 at 04:34 PM (#4396110)

Well ... not to Ricketts' bank account but the Cubs getting $6.5 or $13 M (depending on how the cash would have worked) at this stage is too late to do anything about the 2013 Cubs. If the way the cash works the Cubs would be getting no additional payroll flexibility for 2014 there'd be no baseball point to trading Soriano whatsoever. Unless of course the Yanks are actually giving up a player of value but we all assume that's not the case.

Man, Cubs 2013 payroll is just over $100 M ... this is a pretty bad team for that kinda money.

For the record, no way do I take on Wells at 2/$13. 2/$8 maybe, 2/$10 I'd think about if I was the Yanks (and pretty much nobody else).

EDIT: This is a sign the Yanks are DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!! In the good old days, somebody would give them Bobby Abreu or Nick Swisher for no good reason; now they're reduced to picking up Vernon Wells.
   128. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 25, 2013 at 04:39 PM (#4396117)
If the way the cash works the Cubs would be getting no additional payroll flexibility for 2014 there'd be no baseball point to trading Soriano whatsoever.

The Cubs should be nowhere near the tax threshold next year. Having the additional cash would let them spend $13M more next year.
   129. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 25, 2013 at 04:47 PM (#4396128)
Apparently, getting Wells will help the Yankees get under the luxury tax threshold:
That means the Yankees will pay Wells $13 million over the next two years, but some fancy accounting could actually make it so the three-time All-Star doesn't count against the team's luxury tax payroll figure at all in 2014 — or even better, earn them a credit. Wells' seven-year, $126 million contract carries an average annual value of $18 million, which is the figure that is used by MLB for luxury tax purposes. That figure decreases based on the money being paid by another team, so if the Yankees were to split the $29 million evenly, it would leave them with a $3.5 million tax figure on Wells' deal in each of the two seasons. But according to a source, the Yankees are expected to pay Wells about $12 million in 2013, leaving the Angels to pick up the other $9 million. That means that the Angels would pay $20 million of Wells' $21 million salary next year, not only erasing the entire $18 million luxury tax figure for the Yankees, but adding a $2 million credit.

Next question, can the Yankees still get the $2M credit if they cut Wells in 2014? Or perhaps the credit lowers the bar for keeping him in 2014.
   130. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: March 25, 2013 at 04:50 PM (#4396131)
EDIT: nevermind

I think the Cub FA problem isn't short term payroll flexibility so much as the lack of suitable candidates to spend the money on.
   131. Nasty Nate Posted: March 25, 2013 at 04:52 PM (#4396135)
But if there are no luxury tax dangers, it doesn't really matter when the Cubs got the savings.

(edit: this was in response to the redacted #130)
   132. formerly dp Posted: March 25, 2013 at 04:53 PM (#4396137)
To be fair, that 2002 season looked pretty good.
It did. B-pro IIRC did one of those "he was more valuable than Jeter-- not saying that will happen again but I wouldn't be surprised if he was" moves. At this point, I was drinking liters of JP Kool-Aid, and really wanted to believe that was the case. That 2002 lineup was awesome-- Phelps, Woodward, and Hinske each had the best years of their careers at ages 24, 26, and 24, Stewart had a typically-strong season, and Delgado was Delgado. JP famously manged to convince the Yankees to relieve them of Mondesi's contract. The future looked shiny.
   133. zonk Posted: March 25, 2013 at 04:54 PM (#4396138)
Well ... not to Ricketts' bank account but the Cubs getting $6.5 or $13 M (depending on how the cash would have worked) at this stage is too late to do anything about the 2013 Cubs. If the way the cash works the Cubs would be getting no additional payroll flexibility for 2014 there'd be no baseball point to trading Soriano whatsoever. Unless of course the Yanks are actually giving up a player of value but we all assume that's not the case.

Man, Cubs 2013 payroll is just over $100 M ... this is a pretty bad team for that kinda money.

Yeah - but virtually all of that payroll is tied up in guys whose time is just about up (Soriano, but also Marmol, to some extent, Garza) a bunch of short-term hole fillers (Dejesus, Hairston, etc), and then a whole gaggle of players on short-term lottery ticket deals/players in arb no one else wanted to pay (Feldman, Baker, Shierholtz, Stewart, Navarro, etc).

2014 floor is only 52 mil, and 2015 is just 22. Only Castro and Jackson are on contracts guaranteed past next year - and you gotta figure a ton of those arb guys now are gone, unless they take a magical leap forward.

The have a 100 million dollar payroll because there's really nothing in the system worth running out there in place of the gaggle of bit players no one else wants to pay 2-3 million for.

I feel pretty certain this was sort of like the Office episode where there's a potential surplus and it became a matter of 'might as well spend it'.

Not all 100 million payrolls are created equal - obviously...
   134. The District Attorney Posted: March 26, 2013 at 03:00 PM (#4396944)
Won’t this take away AB’s from Exicardo Cayones or whoever!
No, because he's going to LA in the trade. Along with Kramer Sneed. I am not making these people up.
   135. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 26, 2013 at 03:55 PM (#4396999)
Along with Kramer Sneed. I am not making these people up.

"Kramer Sneed" sounds like a villain from a Dickens novel.
   136. jyjjy Posted: March 26, 2013 at 04:44 PM (#4397053)

Unless you are in Zimbabwe.
   137. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: March 26, 2013 at 07:32 PM (#4397182)
I think they should have re-signed Martin rather than going with the Black Hole Platoon of Cervelli and Stewart, but this is flawed analysis. When the Yankees decided not to re-sign Martin they didn't know that Granderson/Teixeira (and ARod?) would be injured. So you can't view that transaction with the benefit of hindsight.

There is nothing that could have happened since Martin signed that should have convinced them $14M for Wells is a good idea when they wouldn't pay $17M (or 1 year $9M if Robothal is correct) for Martin. Wells is horrible, old, and still expensive. They could have signed Scott Hairston for about 1/3 of what they're paying Wells, and Hairston is the better player. Furthermore, even with their injuries, catcher is still a bigger need for the Yankees. Right now their starting catcher is a horrible defender that ZIPS projects to a .280 wOBA. Their backup is at least a good defender, but an even worse hitter.

And yet he's still been a better hitter than Wells the last two years, projects slightly better by ZIPS (though probably should just call it equal), and plays above average defense at a much more demanding position. I'll take the player that might fall apart over the one that already has.
   138. The District Attorney Posted: March 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM (#4397501)
And even the aftereffects of the trade continue to be weird, as the player released off the 40-man to make room for Wells is David Adams, the guy whose injury held up the trade of Jesus Montero to the Mariners for Cliff Lee. When Cashman refused to replace Adams in the deal with Ivan Nova or Eduardo Nunez, that in turn led to Lee going to Texas for Justin Smoak; Smoak's failure meant the Mariners later had to trade Michael Pineda to the Yanks for Montero; etc.
   139. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM (#4397522)
And even the aftereffects of the trade continue to be weird, as the player released off the 40-man to make room for Wells is David Adams,

Who projects to a higher wOBA than Wells, isn't 35, and can at least fake some infield positions.
   140. AROM Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM (#4397589)
"Kramer Sneed" sounds like a villain from a Dickens novel.

I figured he was a throw in suggested by the Yankees' former assistant to the traveling secretary.
   141. Cowboy Popup Posted: March 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM (#4397606)
Furthermore, even with their injuries, catcher is still a bigger need for the Yankees. Right now their starting catcher is a horrible defender that ZIPS projects to a .280 wOBA. Their backup is at least a good defender, but an even worse hitter.

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that the Yankee front office thinks they know something about Cervelli that no one else knows. They've been right about their unheralded minor leaguers before to varying degrees (Brett Gardner, Wang, Nova) but I really don't see it with Cervelli.

And even the aftereffects of the trade continue to be weird, as the player released off the 40-man to make room for Wells is David Adams, the guy whose injury held up the trade of Jesus Montero to the Mariners for Cliff Lee.

Yeah, this is what finally soured me on the deal. Even if Adams was never going to play second for the Yanks, you don't get rid of him for filler like Wells. A hot few months in AAA could have made him a useful trade chip. Adams has long been a favorite of mine and I could easily see him having a Jeff Keppingerish couple of years in the Majors and you can't just get rid of even that kind of limited potential for Vernon Wells' rotting husk. Getting a useless player who just costs money is one thing, dumping a guy in the high minors with the potential to contribute in the Majors to get a useless player is just a plain old bad move.
   142. SM Posted: March 29, 2013 at 04:42 PM (#4399317)
Well then the good news is they just re-signed Adams.
   143. Cowboy Popup Posted: March 29, 2013 at 04:57 PM (#4399322)
Well then the good news is they just re-signed Adams.

Yay!
   144. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 29, 2013 at 06:54 PM (#4399376)
Glad they resigned Adams, if he keeps hitting at 3B he'll get some playing time in NY this year.

David Aardsma was cut today, I didn't see that coming.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Ghost fouled out, but stays in the game
for his generous support.