Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Your 2018 local MLB broadcaster rankings

This is from Monday, but seeing the results of the voting every year is always a good read.

Hawk Harrelson goes out at the bottom, as he deserves.

Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: August 08, 2018 at 05:00 PM | 43 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: announcers, rankings

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: August 08, 2018 at 05:01 PM (#5723456)
I wonder if the Braves would have finished lower if the voting were still open. Simpson has had a bad couple of weeks.
   2. dlf Posted: August 08, 2018 at 05:11 PM (#5723469)
Simpson has had a bad couple of ....

Decades.

He is bitter, doesn't like how the game is played, and absolutely hates when a hitter pulls the ball. To him, the best play in the game is the ground ball to the second baseman moving a runner over. And it is a shame because (a) Atlanta has a history of good to great announcers with Ernie Johnson, Pete Van Wieren and Skip Caray manning the booth for a couple of generations of players and (b) the radio crew of Powell and Sutton are pretty good too. But Braves fans get stuck with Simpson and the worst of the Carays.

Other than the Braves and the national network games, most of the time I'm listening via satellite radio. I find there are a lot of good announcers on the radio who can still paint a picture. I really enjoy following the game that way more -- at least usually -- than watching on tv.
   3. Rowland Office Supplies Posted: August 08, 2018 at 05:23 PM (#5723476)
But Braves fans get stuck with Simpson and the worst of the Carays.

Chip is the world's absolute worst at judging fly balls: "POPPED HIM UP. Markakis backpedaling...hauls it in on the track, just shy of the wall." A couple of nights ago on a Camargo homer: "BELTED. DID HE KEEP IT FAIR?" Only by about 40 feet, as it turned out.
   4. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 08, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5723479)
As I'm almost 100% convinced that at least one of Len Kasper and Jim Deshaies lurks here, I'll address this to them directly: You guys deserve way better than #9. Keep doing what you're doing - it's great.
   5. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: August 08, 2018 at 05:52 PM (#5723500)
Right, I've listened to many of those guys ranked higher, and they're not better.
   6. JJ1986 Posted: August 08, 2018 at 06:19 PM (#5723515)
I haven't listened to the Blue Jays guys this year, but I really don't like Buck Martinez generally. I think the Cubs are pretty easily top 2 or 3. I'm going to make a point to watch a Padres broadcast now because I'm not sure I ever have.
   7. Perry Posted: August 08, 2018 at 06:23 PM (#5723518)
As I've mentioned elsewhere recently, Dan McLaughlin is a fine PBP guy for the Cards stuck with a host of terrible analysts, although Edmonds shows a tiny bit of promise.

As for the other team I listen to most, Drew Goodman is a perfectly good PBP announcer for the Rockies, and like McLaughlin, has been stuck with some bad analysts over the years (mostly Jeff Huson and the truly awful and now thankfully retired George Frazier). But Ryan Spilborghs is very, very good and takes the team up to a solid B as far as I'm concerned.
   8. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: August 08, 2018 at 06:38 PM (#5723524)
I'm going to make a point to watch a Padres broadcast now because I'm not sure I ever have.

They have Orsillo who you probably have heard before. He was great when he was on the Red Sox. Still pissed that they booted him.
   9. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 08, 2018 at 06:52 PM (#5723532)
Chip is the world's absolute worst at judging fly balls: "POPPED HIM UP. Markakis backpedaling...hauls it in on the track, just shy of the wall." A couple of nights ago on a Camargo homer: "BELTED. DID HE KEEP IT FAIR?" Only by about 40 feet, as it turned out.

"Swung on, BELTED" for what turns out to be a shallow fly off the end of the bat will forever be his signature call.
   10. Adam Starblind Posted: August 08, 2018 at 07:19 PM (#5723546)
So glad to see the Nats booth recognized for the utter crap they are. What homers. It doesn't matter what Nat is playing, they'll talk about how fantastic the guy is. And they root. The worst.
   11. cardsfanboy Posted: August 08, 2018 at 07:25 PM (#5723551)
As I've mentioned elsewhere recently, Dan McLaughlin is a fine PBP guy for the Cards stuck with a host of terrible analysts, although Edmonds shows a tiny bit of promise.

McLaughlin has his moments, but at the same time, he's way too full of himself, and you can hear his disdain for his co-hosts often times during his broadcast. He's like Jon Miller in that he tries to make his cohost look foolish by giving them clear things that will wind them up with idiotic garbage.

Horton two years ago was fully on board with the stat train and was looking like he was going to be one of those former guys who gets it, and yet over the past two years he's completely imploded with hating stat based analysis and style of play and instead is an old pitcher in the vein of Gossage without the venom though.

McCarver was great for about a month, he was clearly the first analyst that the Cardinals broadcasting has had in two decades that actually did homework before the game. Then Mclaughlin figured out how to egg him on towards old man Abe Simpson terriotory and it's been downhill ever since.

Hrabosky is about the only one of the group who doesn't go old man syndrome on every play of the game. And of course because of that, it's clear that McLaughlin doesn't like him, and will subtletly insult him every chance he gets to the point that it clearly created a rift between the two and they had to reduce Al's time as an analyst.

Edmonds is one of my favorite players of all time, but he's just not comfortable with announcing yet, and is a horrible analyst(outside a very narrow field---but this is a guy who thinks he was good at putting the ball in play and not a strike out machine as a major leaguer) . Very lazy at the job, and instead is just a sounding board to either agree or disagree with McLaughlin's take on whatever it is.
   12. dejarouehg Posted: August 08, 2018 at 07:32 PM (#5723558)
Haven't heard nearly enough of all the groups to pass judgment but I really enjoy the Cubs announcers, Gary Thorne and Palmer are terrific, I've always liked Ken Singleton and the Mets crew are tremendous. When they took turns reading the Media Guide the other night when they were getting destroyed, I thought it was brilliant.

The single best to me is still Thorne. Would love to see him paired up with Darling..........calling games for a good team.

The worst, by far, is Chip Caray. (I don't take Harrelson serious enough to even rate.) How do Braves watchers not rise up in rebellion???
   13. Red Voodooin Posted: August 08, 2018 at 07:39 PM (#5723563)
Even though I'm glad he's nowhere near the Cubs booth anymore, I'm glad that Steve Stone ranks at least middle of the pack when's he's not paired with the horrendous Hawk Harrelson.
   14. cardsfanboy Posted: August 08, 2018 at 07:44 PM (#5723565)
I hate Chip Cary (and Skip) and people have told me that one is okay, the other is an idiot, but I haven't really liked either.

I have very limited experience with pretty much all of them, I don't hate the Mets broadcast(or I even like them a bit) , but as a general rule I don't "hate" any broadcast, I just assume that for the most part that their job is to be equivalent to cafeteria food, decent enough to do it's job, but not good or bad. The upper expectation I have from a broadcast team is pretty much them being Applebees (using the food analogy) good enough that if you get the right thing for you, you'll like it, but far from something that people will rave about. Yes you have a 1990's version of Vin Scully that might be a five star restaurant(and with apologies, but his 2010's version was not that level) but that is the rare treat you get.

Broadcasts that make me hate the announcers because they are taking the fun away from the game by doing nothing but complaining is where I draw the line. If you hate the sport so much, just freaking quit now and don't collect a check.
   15. Rob_Wood Posted: August 08, 2018 at 07:49 PM (#5723566)
As I'm almost 100% convinced that at least one of Len Kasper and Jim Deshaies lurks here, I'll address this to them directly: You guys deserve way better than #9. Keep doing what you're doing - it's great.

They are great and definitely my favorites (excluding my hometown SF Giants announcers).

Len is great and JD is among the very very best.
   16. Leroy Kincaid Posted: August 08, 2018 at 08:34 PM (#5723596)
So glad to see the Nats booth recognized for the utter crap they are.

Is Santangelo still there? First heard him doing a ST game, seems like 10 years ago. I couldn't believe how bad he was.
   17. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: August 08, 2018 at 08:44 PM (#5723603)
The single best to me is still Thorne.

As a baseball play-by-play man, he makes a hell of a hockey announcer.

(and Skip)

Of every dumb take you've ever had...
   18. Master of the Horse Posted: August 08, 2018 at 09:48 PM (#5723691)
Bill Schroeder is kind of amazing because sometimes he says the most cliche stupid things and then like the very next sentence is insight where you are like wow, that's really interesting.
   19. Red Voodooin Posted: August 08, 2018 at 10:18 PM (#5723719)
I hate Chip Cary (and Skip) and people have told me that one is okay, the other is an idiot, but I haven't really liked either.

Skip Caray was awesome.
   20. The Duke Posted: August 08, 2018 at 10:23 PM (#5723723)
Cards have terrible tv announcers. Their guests in the booth are frequently better in their visits than the regulars. McLaughlin used to be good but is a pompous ass most of the time. Shannon is still the cards most entertaining announcer by far. I’d like see them get joe buck back. Everyone else hates him but I find him to be a great announcer
   21. cardsfanboy Posted: August 08, 2018 at 10:30 PM (#5723727)
Cards have terrible tv announcers. Their guests in the booth are frequently better in their visits than the regulars. McLaughlin used to be good but is a pompous ass most of the time. Shannon is still the cards most entertaining announcer by far. I’d like see them get joe buck back. Everyone else hates him but I find him to be a great announcer

I'm fine with Joe Buck, he does a pretty even hand presentation of what is going on, and very rarely (outside of the NFL) delves into debatable crap that is going to get 1/3rd of the audience to side with him, 1/3rd of the audience to go against him, and 1/3rd of the audience to tell him to shut up and announce the game.

Rooney was pretty good, but as I said in the gamethread, All the Cardinal announcers have taken the firing of Matheny to mean that it's free reign to ##### about how bad baseball is, and to try and influence the owners to hire a crappy incompetent manager that superficially resembles whitey herzog and pushing for no strike outs, steal more and stop swinging for the fences in opposition to a stat oriented manager or at least friendly manager that could actually win a game or two in the 2000's.

I'm pretty sure that if it was up the the Cardinal announcers, Scioscia will be the first guy on to get hired if he is available.
   22. Benji Gil Gamesh VII - The Opt-Out Awakens Posted: August 08, 2018 at 10:51 PM (#5723753)
They have Orsillo who you probably have heard before. He was great when he was on the Red Sox. Still pissed that they booted him.
So very much this. To this day I'm convinced there must have been something else at play that led to his ouster.

I like that the Red Sox booth even now is very non-homer-esque, they'll say so if the Sox get a gift call or someone screws up. I like O'Brien's enthusiastic calls on big plays, but it's far outweighed for me by his incessant use of meaningless situational stats as if they mean something. Otherwise he's cromulent but he's no Orsillo.
   23. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: August 08, 2018 at 11:03 PM (#5723757)
Benji - you may or may not know that Orsillo’s biggest booster was Lucchino. In 2012 NESN had a shake up and the new boss (McGrail?) wanted to punt Orsillo and Lucchino refused to let it happen. In 2015 Lucchino stepped down as an active part of ownership, a few weeks later Orsillo was on his way out.

I’ve said it before but O’Brien is what you would get if a computer built a broadcaster. Great pipes, good with information, affable...and bland as hell. He’s not bad and as noted not a homer but there is nothing interesting about him. Orsillo is so good and as a New England guy and a guy who was a student of Sox radio voice Joe Castiglione at Northeastern he should have been the Sox Scully and stayed for fifty years.
   24. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 09, 2018 at 07:05 AM (#5723803)
I haven't listened to the Blue Jays guys this year, but I really don't like Buck Martinez generally

He's passable as a play-by-play guy, but he's MUCH better as a colour man.
(Though I do love his "Get up ball! Get up!" home run calls.)

The Jays broadcasts this season where it's been Dan Shulman on pbp and Martinez on colour have been fantastic (and probably why they rank so high).
I think Shulman is the best broadcaster out there now that Scully is done, and he works SO well with Martinez.
They used to be the primary guys for the Jays MANY years ago, so they slide back into their old routine quite easily.

The best thing is when Shulman will ask a leading question to Martinez ("Is this the best time to try for a stolen base?") and Buck will explain his reasoning in detail.

Pat Tabler being in the booth actually slows things down for the Jays, and I'd be happy if the "soft hands/he's a ballplayer" cliche machine would simply be moved to the studio with Jamie Campbell.
That isn't going to happen until the Jays actually get Shulman to commit to a full season of games.

(And really, with how bad the team is going to be next season until the kids arrive, they should do everything they can to get him full time to give the fans SOME extra reason to tune in.)
   25. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 09, 2018 at 08:05 AM (#5723810)
The Yankees section tells you everything anyone needs to know about this silly poll, and for that matter about nearly all internet polls:
12. New York Yankees: 2.53

-Michael Kay (play by play)
-Bob Lorenz (play by play)
-Ryan Ruocco (play by play)
-Ken Singleton (analyst)
-David Cone (analyst)
-John Flaherty (analyst)
-Al Leiter (analyst)
-Paul O’Neill (analyst)

Previous rankings: 25 (2014), 27 (2016), 2 (2017)
Previous grades: 1.93 (2014), 1.95 (2016), 3.00 (2017)

Most popular grade: A (46.92% of votes)

Analysis: After Yankees fans stuffed the ballot boxes last year and nearly carried them to the top of the rankings, they couldn’t stop other fans from negatively stuffing the ballot boxes this year – the Yankees had the highest percentage of F votes outside of the bottom five, which helped stifle their high percentage of A votes.

Of course the truth is that there are very few people in the entire country who are even marginally qualified to rate all 30 teams of local broadcasters, because there are very few people in the country who have actually seen or heard all of them. To have seen or heard all of them would take a subscription to ExtraInnings or mlb.tv, along with the attention span to remember your opinion of broadcasters who've covered the games of the team you follow as little as once every 3 or 6 or 9 years.**

Which means that the results are always going to be skewed by a combination of laundry love, laundry loathing, and the amount of national exposure that a few local broadcasters have managed to get over the years.

Bottom line is that this is nothing but click bait. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

** Most teams only play their non-"natural rival" interleague opponents every 3 years, and often less than that in the other teams' home parks. And how many fans take the option of tuning in the broadcasts of the other team's broadcasters if they're given a choice?

26. The elusive Robert Denby Posted: August 09, 2018 at 08:20 AM (#5723817)
As a Royals fan, I have to say their broadcast team is rated way too high. Hudler can barely speak English and listening to Physioc will lead you to believe he's watching his first baseball game.
   27. manchestermets Posted: August 09, 2018 at 08:22 AM (#5723818)
Yeah, the Mets announcers are great. The best thing that can be said about them is that they make watching the Mets fun, however bad the team is.

Why do the White Sox have different home and away teams? I would have guessed that it's because Jason Benetti doesn't want to bother with the travelling, but looking at the results of this it doesn't appear that he'd have that kind of leverage.
   28. Andrewski Posted: August 09, 2018 at 08:45 AM (#5723832)
Why do the White Sox have different home and away teams? I would have guessed that it's because Jason Benetti doesn't want to bother with the travelling, but looking at the results of this it doesn't appear that he'd have that kind of leverage.

Somebody told me (so take it with a grain of salt) that Hawk lives in extremely remote Indiana. Like, it's a huge commute for him. So it's actually easier for him to go on the road with the team.

Seeing the Twins right in the middle seems about right. I've actually watched fewer opposing broadcasts because the Twins have been trotting out some pretty decent guests to pair with Bremer from the 00's glory days. LaTroy Hawkins and Justin Morneau have been the best of that group. Both are thoughtful and open-minded, with Morneau coming across as surprisingly curious about new trends. Hawkins has an almost unfair advantage in that he seems to have played with just about everybody in the league. Torii Hunter has been pretty "meh" but I'd still rather have him in the booth than Jack Morris and, lately, Roy Smalley - who's getting crankier.
   29. Brian White Posted: August 09, 2018 at 09:01 AM (#5723842)
"Swung on, BELTED" for what turns out to be a shallow fly off the end of the bat will forever be his signature call.

No, Chip Caray's signature call is, and will forever be, "Line drive, base hit! Caught out there!"
   30. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: August 09, 2018 at 09:18 AM (#5723851)
My feelings about the Phillies broadcast team have plummeted this year. The Phillies radio guy Scott Franzke is way better than Tom McCarthy. Tom seems to make a point to always have a 10-second pause between saying things. He has a good rapport with Ben Davis but they just never get excited about anything. And John Kruk is beyond hope, he has a sort of buffoonish appeal but he is likewise too boring to really be appealing. They set him up to say something vaguely funny and 9 times out of 10 he doesn't take the bait.
   31. Matthew E Posted: August 09, 2018 at 09:40 AM (#5723864)
The Jays are *fifth*? That's crazyhouse. I mean, yeah, Shulman is great, but he's not there all the time, and Martinez and Tabler are very much not great.
   32. Dolf Lucky Posted: August 09, 2018 at 10:02 AM (#5723891)
I was surprised to see the Reds as high as #17 and then I realized they weren't reflecting the fact that Jim Day is part of the booth now. They'll drop significantly next year, I suspect.
   33. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: August 09, 2018 at 10:08 AM (#5723903)
Somebody told me (so take it with a grain of salt) that Hawk lives in extremely remote Indiana. Like, it's a huge commute for him. So it's actually easier for him to go on the road with the team.

Yes, he doesn't like commuting to the Cell. Plus, it was another way to softly transition from Hawk to a normal human announcer. The Sox had to consider the delicate sensibilities of the average White Sox fan who has been Stockholm Syndromed into thinking Hawk is what a good announcer sounds like.
   34. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: August 09, 2018 at 10:15 AM (#5723909)
I try listening to different announcing teams on MLB.tv and my wife puts it into perspective by finding it reliably hilarious how identical they all sound. The only exceptions so far are the Mets and the White Sox because Steve Stone sounds like an awkward weirdo (I like Steve Stone).
   35. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: August 09, 2018 at 10:23 AM (#5723922)

Hawk's gone through an evolution the last 10 years.

For a long time he said he wanted to die doing his job - never wanted to leave.

Then he started to say he just wanted to make it into his 8th decade in organized ball. (He was signed as a prospect in 1959, so 2020 would make his 8th decade).

Then - and this is what you're referring to: he announced he wouldn't do home games any more. Well, he'd still call Opening Day and the Crosstown series, but that's about it. And yeah, it's because he lives in northwestern Indiana and the commute for him sucks. Road games? The team handles all his travel arrangmenets. He just get in the plane, gets in the car, goes to the hotel and games and back to the plane when the series is over. (The joke went: Man, even the biggest Sox homer in the world doesn't want to go to Sox Park!)

This year, it's not even that. This year he's only doing Sunday games. And a few other special ones, like Opening Day. He's got about 15 or so games total all year. The kid is now doing virtually every game.

Hawk decided that he doesn't have to be an announcer to make it to the 8th decade. If he's some sort of ceremonial goodwill ambassador for a year or two, that's enough for him.
   36. Scott Lange Posted: August 09, 2018 at 10:26 AM (#5723925)

Skip Caray was a sardonic treasure.
   37. Steve N Posted: August 09, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5723952)
If you ever watch a Phillies game be aware that Mike Schmidt has the most boring voice since Bill Campbell.
   38. Dingbat_Charlie Posted: August 09, 2018 at 12:38 PM (#5724075)
I don't know who it is (Eck?), but the analyst's call on this Betts grand slam cracks me up: link

Yaay! Time to party!
   39. Hank Gillette Posted: August 10, 2018 at 01:13 AM (#5724529)
Is Santangelo still there?

Sadly, he is. And every damn time the Nats get their first hit he says, “There goes the no-hitter.”, as though he is saying something clever. He is great at pointing out the obvious, “If that ball had been 10 feet higher, it would have been a home run.”

I sometimes hear the Orioles broadcasts. I don’t care much for them either, and they are number four. Maybe I just don’t like announcers.

I would love it if they would always put the announcers on a separate audio channel, so you could mute the announcers, but still hear the ambient noise of the game. They will never do that though, because the announcers plug so many products during the broadcast.
   40. Adam Starblind Posted: August 10, 2018 at 06:51 AM (#5724538)

I would love it if they would always put the announcers on a separate audio channel, so you could mute the announcers, but still hear the ambient noise of the game. They will never do that though, because the announcers plug so many products during the broadcast.

I believe either Extra Innings or MLB.tv have that feature, but obviously you can't use that for your home games.
   41. Bote Man Posted: August 10, 2018 at 07:34 AM (#5724542)
MLB.tv does have "Park natural sound" and ve have vays of getting that for your local team's games ;-)

The best part of nat sound is that, at the end of games when they switch audio to the SteadyCam getting up close and personal to the players as they do the high-five line out on the field, you can hear all kinds of funny and rude remarks between them.
   42. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: August 10, 2018 at 09:12 AM (#5724575)
I don't know who it is (Eck?), but the analyst's call on this Betts grand slam cracks me up: link

Yaay! Time to party!

That's Eck. Eck is the guy that should absolutely, positively be doing a national game for ESPN or Fox. He is funny as hell and really insightful. When he does Sox games the homer in him comes out but he's also really knowledgable and not afraid to be critical, often harshly and hysterically so.

With that said I really don't want the Red Sox to make him the full time guy (and I don't think he has the interest in doing that). A lot of his stuff would come across as shtick over the course of 162 games I think.

It's also worth noting that while the three announcer booth is usually terrible Eck really gets going when he has another player to play off of. A few years ago the Sox had him and Pedro in the booth together and they spent about two innings ignoring the game and just talking about pitching and it was every bit as amazing as you'd expect two Hall of Fame pitchers talking about pitching for two innings to be. On the other end of the spectrum he and Remy were talking about some of their visits to Studio 54 back in the 70s and you could almost literally see the NESN producer with his finger on the kill switch waiting for Eck to start talking about snorting lines of coke off Debbie Harry's naked body or something.
   43. Bote Man Posted: August 10, 2018 at 10:55 AM (#5724635)
I was running errands in the 9AM hour (all times Eastern) when XM MLB Home Plate channel was interviewing Jim DeShaies. Today I learned that he played with John Elway at Oneonta in the NY-Penn league in 1982.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Martin Hemner
for his generous support.